What's new

I did something kinda dumb today...or did I?

Hey everybody!

I've been a lurker forever and finally joined a month ago so I could post and commend you all for your bravery and courage. This is a fantastic group you've built here, and you should be incredibly proud.

So this is going to sound completely bizarre, but I'm a fan of a comedy group that collects the movie Jerry Maguire on VHS. They've been written about in The Huffington Post and the Chicago Tribune about their Jerry Maguire collection as they have almost 9,000. It's a stupid, long story as to why they collect that movie in particular, and I won't bore you with it unless you're curious.

Anyway, the group goes on tour and performs at nightclubs and theaters at the end of their sets, they ask people to bring up their VHS copies of Jerry Maguire, and I've been collecting them forever (thrift shops, yard sales, friends buying them for me as gag gifts, etc), so tonight I gave them 107 copies.

But...the show wasn't until 8pm, so my friends and I thought "what wacky things can we do with all of those Jerry Maguires before the show?" So I had my picture taken in the park making a snow angel out of them, I sat in a bathtub covered in them like American Beauty and the roses, we made a big domino maze out of them...and then I thought, "why don't I go stand in front of the Scientology Center with a box and a backpack full of them and pretend to pass them out!" So we staged the shot, where one friend held the camera while another friend approached me looking confused, and i am holding up VHS Jerry Maguires like I'm hawking Dianetics.

So we do the shot as planned and it's great, and I get my picture taken with the FREE PERSONALITY TEST sign, and within 60 seconds, there were three staff members standing outside of the door (my back was to them, but I heard one say "he's a funny guy, with his Jerry Maguires, a funny guy....") One was talking on a cellphone the whole time. My friend with the camera froze and I walked towards him, we crossed the street and got out of view.

The picture turned out great, and I honestly meant no disrespect or harm to them of course - the intention was to be quirky. But never in my wildest dreams did I expect a response like that! Within SECONDS, they were on it. I talked about Scientology non-stop with my friends, only because I'm fascinated by it since Going Clear came out as a book, and they were freaked out. As we walked towards the car, my friend urged us to walk around the block again so they wouldn't see the license plate of his car, and we did. Probably being paranoid of course, but better safe than sorry!

I don't know why I'm telling you this, or if you'll find it interesting or offensive. Again, wasn't my intention and I'm deeply sorry if this does offend anyone.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron
I am glad to hear your story, but not surprised. So many people have left Scientology and no one is really signing up so they are in full paranoia mode. They would have guessed you were a journalist or comedian and publicity for them is never good.

I know you probably do it with the same seriousness as British people who engage in extreme ironing, but when I heard you talking about this, I was a little creeped out.

I touch anything to do with Tom Cruise like it was toxic waste. I know that no one is profiting from VHS tapes, so I am not being critical at all, I just assume this is all very new to you.

I hope you use this is an opportunity to talk about Tom Cruise to your VHS friends. Lurk here and find out more. There is so much to know about who these people are, what they do and why.

I am glad to hear your story, but not surprised. So many people have left Scientology and no one is really signing up so they are in full paranoia mode. They would have guessed you were a journalist or comedian and publicity for them is never good.

I know you probably do it with the same seriousness as British people who engage in extreme ironing, but when I heard you talking about this, I was a little creeped out.

I touch anything to do with Tom Cruise like it was toxic waste. I know that no one is profiting from VHS tapes, so I am not being critical at all, I just assume this is all very new to you.

I hope you use this is an opportunity to talk about Tom Cruise to your VHS friends. Lurk here and find out more. There is so much to know about who these people are, what they do and why.

Okay, I don't really give a shit about Tom Cruise movies either way. It's not an initiative to support Tom Cruise or make fun of Scientology - perhaps you're confused about my original post, so I'll include the long, boring story as to why they collect Jerry Maguire on VHS.

It's a group of video editors based in Chicago who buy up old VHS tapes from bargain bins and thrift shops. Weird, funny videos, and from there they edit the footage together and make YouTube clips. Nothing controversial or political, just old celebrity workout tapes or bad Christmas specials. Anyway, every time they would hit up a thrift shop, they'd always stumble across copies of Jerry Maguires, because it's one of the best-selling videocassettes of all time. So after seeing them over and over again, they eventually just started buying them up (all of them used - Tom Cruise & Co$ do not profit from the sales of the videos - all of the money goes to the charities affiliated with the thrift shops). They could have just as easily chosen Doctor Dolitte or Jurassic Park as their go-to video to collect, but they chose Jerrys, just because. Then fans of the group caught wind of what they were up to and would send them copies in the mail or drop them off at their headquarters. Then the press found out and it became a human interest story that eventually caught the attention of Jerry Maguire's director Cameron Crowe, who has donated his personal copies of the film to the group.

Anyway, I posted the original thread as I've been fascinated by Scientology for years and have read anything and everything I can get my hands on about the subject. I found what happened today really interesting as I've never encountered something like that, and thought you folks might find it interesting or whatever. No offense intended.

Actually, now that I re-read my original thread, it kinda does sound creepy lol. I hope I clarified it for you in my first response. It's a fringe-comedy group that is big on the college circuit, so a lot of kids who go to the live shows bring Jerry Maguires that they collect. It's just a stupid thing, like collecting baseball cards or state quarters or something. In no way do they intend to support Tom Cruise, Scientology or anything.

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron
Actually, now that I re-read my original thread, it kinda does sound creepy lol. I hope I clarified it for you in my first response. It's a fringe-comedy group that is big on the college circuit, so a lot of kids who go to the live shows bring Jerry Maguires that they collect. It's just a stupid thing, like collecting baseball cards or state quarters or something. In no way do they intend to support Tom Cruise, Scientology or anything.
Oh no I got it straight away. I realized it was a cool, quirky thing to do, like rick-rolling or extreme ironing. It doesn't need to make sense to be funny or fun, although it is making more sense as I read more of your posts.

I'm sorry I didn't express myself clearly. I never thought you were creepy, I only think that Tom Cruise is creepy and he kind of tarnishes anything he touches, much like Mr. Hanky the Christmas Poo.

A also know that there is no money in second hand VHS tapes so I know this is not something they could possibly profit from, even by accident.

You struck me as a group that had latched on to Jerry McGuire VHS tapes for cult reasons (but cult in the cool sense like hoolah hoops and mice on a stick - the ancient Roman cult delicacy) and were completely oblivious to the magnitude of what Tom Cruise and his evil cult were involved with.

My whole thought was that a quirky group of artists would be really interested in learning about all the heinous shit that Scientology is doing. That's all I was saying.

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
Okay, I don't really give a shit about Tom Cruise movies either way. It's not an initiative to support Tom Cruise or make fun of Scientology - perhaps you're confused about my original post, so I'll include the long, boring story as to why they collect Jerry Maguire on VHS.

Whatever floats your boat. :)

Overview: Everything Is Terrible! is this world's only psychedelic found footage comedy website that tours the earth with face-melting live shows that include puppets, Jerry Maguires stacked to the heavens, and adoring cloaked followers begging EIT! for more!!! And we make DVDs!

Mission: We must collect every existing VHS copy of Jerry Maguire, but we need your help. Please send Jerrys to:

Everything Is Terrible!
PO Box 50825
Los Angeles, CA 90050.. Or bring them to our next live show in your area!

Email: [email protected]
http://watch.everythingisterrible.com

https://www.facebook.com/everythingisterrible

Looks like these dudes have a serious furries fetish.

[video=youtube;OM0GzXadpUg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM0GzXadpUg[/video]

[video=youtube;0pbo-nfrF98]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pbo-nfrF98[/video]

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicag...s-nic-maier-oddobsession/Content?oid=13607797

https://www.facebook.com/dimitri.simakis

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/dimitri-simakis/9/6a3/486

Overview: Everything Is Terrible! is this world's only psychedelic found footage comedy website that tours the earth with face-melting live shows that include puppets, Jerry Maguires stacked to the heavens, and adoring cloaked followers begging EIT! for more!!! And we make DVDs!

That's them! Come to think of it, they do post a lot of religious videos and kinda take the piss out of them (Christians, Freemasons, Spaghetti Monsters - no one is safe). But the only use footage from videotapes they buy at thrift shops and they haven't seem to have gotten ahold of any scientology material in the seven years they've been doing this.

So I put the photo of me beside the personality test sign, passing out the tapes on my Facebook page but changed the settings to "Friends Only" so I'm doubtful anyone else will see it (or that they'd really give a shit - I'm sure the Co$ have other fish to fry besides silly me). It wasn't til we got back to the car that we realized none of the staff members appeared in the photos - I suspect they don't show up on film, like vampires. And again, I wasn't trying to film or photograph them and would never in a million years have posted pictures of people I don't know on a social media page.

Sassy

Patron Meritorious

It's a group of video editors based in Chicago who buy up old VHS tapes from bargain bins and thrift shops. Weird, funny videos, and from there they edit the footage together and make YouTube clips. Nothing controversial or political, just old celebrity workout tapes or bad Christmas specials. Anyway, every time they would hit up a thrift shop, they'd always stumble across copies of Jerry Maguires, because it's one of the best-selling videocassettes of all time. So after seeing them over and over again, they eventually just started buying them up (all of them used - Tom Cruise & Co$ do not profit from the sales of the videos - all of the money goes to the charities affiliated with the thrift shops). They could have just as easily chosen Doctor Dolitte or Jurassic Park as their go-to video to collect, but they chose Jerrys, just because. Then fans of the group caught wind of what they were up to and would send them copies in the mail or drop them off at their headquarters. Then the press found out and it became a human interest story that eventually caught the attention of Jerry Maguire's director Cameron Crowe, who has donated his personal copies of the film to the group.

Anyway, I posted the original thread as I've been fascinated by Scientology for years and have read anything and everything I can get my hands on about the subject. I found what happened today really interesting as I've never encountered something like that, and thought you folks might find it interesting or whatever. No offense intended.

GUESS WHAT??? I read your opening post and had a nice chuckle, love the whole thing. I had absolutely 100% FORGOTTEN that Tom Cruise was even in this movie, let alone starred in it, until I read the post that mentioned Cruise. My brain was focused on your story and the "quirky" part about the tapes and I'm actually rather proud of myself :coolwink: that Cruise didn't even cross my mind :happydance:

I think your Jerry Maguire club (heehee) is pretty cool. And I'm super happy to hear that Cruise isn't getting a penny from the whole thing. :thumbsup:

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron
That's them! Come to think of it, they do post a lot of religious videos and kinda take the piss out of them (Christians, Freemasons, Spaghetti Monsters - no one is safe). But the only use footage from videotapes they buy at thrift shops and they haven't seem to have gotten ahold of any scientology material in the seven years they've been doing this.

So I put the photo of me beside the personality test sign, passing out the tapes on my Facebook page but changed the settings to "Friends Only" so I'm doubtful anyone else will see it (or that they'd really give a shit - I'm sure the Co$ have other fish to fry besides silly me). It wasn't til we got back to the car that we realized none of the staff members appeared in the photos - I suspect they don't show up on film, like vampires. And again, I wasn't trying to film or photograph them and would never in a million years have posted pictures of people I don't know on a social media page.
Would you be interested in some video footage of Scientology?

Assuming you take back all the terrible things you said about the Flying Spaghetti Monster, I might be happy to help.

Operating Wog

Patron with Honors
You are in serious trouble. Get out of town, get plastic surgery, change your name. I'd move to a small village in South America. They're coming after you and won't stop. :)