I'm done

Discussion in 'ESMB Public Announcements' started by Emma, Apr 12, 2012.

View Users: View Users
  1. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

It occurs to me that there are two distinct actions here. One is to preserve the posts we already have. That would mean ESMB as an archive continuing to be at its current URL, except that the message board would be completely closed to further posts. A static web site is a hell of a lot easier to take care of than a busy message board!

All that would need to be done would be the hosting paid for and the occasional technical debug done if something happens with the hosting company. But as long as the database is in good hands (and it should be in MANY hands!), then that shouldn't be too hard. I'm guessing the hosting could be done more cheaply too, since the daily traffic will change.

-----

Another part of it is what Veda mentioned above, an archive of information separate to the message board.

-----

Then there is the question of a future message board, which is really a separate matter entirely.

Paul

2. Lone Star

Lone Star Crusader

Thank you for all the sacrifices you made to start and run this board over the years. There's no doubt that ESMB has helped a lot of people. It's been a lifeline truly. The ratio of Emma fans to asswipes is probably 100 to 1, if not much more. So to hell with 'em!

Internet forums tend to be very cruel, unruly places. Overall I've been amazed at how many on this forum actually do get along and like each other. I know it doesn't seem that way at times, but compared to other forums I've experienced, this one is pretty damn good. :yes:

But I totally understand your need to move on. That's just life. Nothing lasts forever. There is a time and a season for everything. I trust that you know within that it's time for this phase of your life to end, and for another to begin.

Thanks again Emma!! You're one cool, special Lady!! :thumbsup:

Lone Star

P.S. Oh yeah...I have always loved your avatar! To me it always seemed to say, "Go ahead you OSA punks.....Make my fuckin day!!!" :smoking:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  3. Lulu Belle

Lulu Belle Moonbat

Oh yes.

Try the Clothing, Shoes and Accessories board on eBay. Talk about Meangirls. Holy shit.

4. Veda

Veda Sponsor

Not likely. OCMB is a very different place, and if one has the misfortune of using the wrong pass word when logging in, it's likely one will be permanently locked out, with efforts to correct the problem being futile.

In any event, OCMB is not ESMB, and never will be.

5. Anonycat

Anonycat Crusader

6. TheRealNoUser

TheRealNoUser Patron with Honors

This forum saves lives. period.

I sincerely hope that it continues to be run by another kind soul, as it was by Emma.

.... and Emma, you above all others have truly earned your freedom.

I wish you love and happiness for your future.

Best,

TRNU.

7. olska

olska Silver Meritorious Patron

thanks -- that must be what happened to my account, I could never figure it out, but haven't been able to get logged on for a loooooong time! gave up on it. thanks for the clarification. back on topic....

Thanks again, Emma, and a thousand curses upon those who ever thought you were an "enemy." go and enjoy your life!

8. shadow

shadow Patron with Honors

Emma,
    You have done a great service running EXSCN and if it is time for you to move on, then I wish you luck in any adventure you decide to embark on.
    Just wanted to thank you for the time, effort, sweat, tears, and other bodily fluids you may have spilt by providing this site.
    Thanks,
    shadow

9. Free to shine

Free to shine Shiny & Free

I haz a sad too. ESMB really did help save my sanity and there is nowhere else like it. I've lived a lot of the ups and downs with you here and in the earlier days some of that was frickin unreal. Yet a balance was found where it was safe for newbies and old timers as well.

Having read some of the unbelievable shit that has been written about you, it is enough to turn any stomach. You don't deserve that and IMO the few involved are projecting ... but the point to remember is that the number who attack and try to degrade are actually quite few. There may be some who join in "all in good fun" but again, they are perhaps reliving some part of their own scientology past when someone who was deemed unacceptable was dogpiled with glee.

In no way does it reflect the true effect you have had on many thousands of lives. That takes a courage and persistence that leaves me without words. And it is those thousands who are more important than the few who attack, and what you are reading in this thread is what you need to take into your heart and hold there.

I totally understand how you feel and thanks for continuing on well beyond any kind of comfort point (ummm 2007?). You do deserve some peace and sanity and it is your right to claim it. I'll do whatever I can to help preserve the data in some form, though I hope there is some way to continue this unique place on the net. There are still so many to come ...

:arose:

10. Sharone Stainforth

Sharone Stainforth Silver Meritorious Patron

There are NO words that can explain what this board has meant to me. I have laughed, cried, thought, been angry beyond belief, laughed, cried and thought some more. I have received some of the loveliest of messages and some of the weirdest, some really cranky and some beautiful.

I have met some fantastic people I would never have met otherwise, I've also met some cranks.But overall it's been an experience I wouldn't have missed for the world.

Thank you, Emma.

I don't blame you one bit, I have had more than enough of Scientology for one life time.As I write I am listening again to LRH and his take over of Clearwater.

When I came on this board, my biggest fear, was fear. It was the most profound FEAR you can imagine, and it was something that Scientology drove into my very core as a young child. It's a hard thing to overcome, but through this board I have overcome that deep seated fear that has penetrated most of my life, the fear of Scientology.

I have just put Scientology in room 101 and that's where it belongs.

Hip, Hip! Hip,Hip! Hooray!

11. Bill

Bill Silver Meritorious Patron

Emma,

You done good! And, yes, it is time to let it all go -- you've been on the front lines too damn long.

Thanks for everything you've done and put up with.

Bill

12. GreyLensman

GreyLensman Silver Meritorious Patron

Great advice. Have a great life, Michelle. Best, Spence.

13. Free Being Me

Free Being Me Crusader

Hi Emma!,

I fully understand where you're coming from. You created a not only a safe haven for Ex's and a refuge for those looking for the answers to what $cientology and Hubbard really are (A vile monstrosity), you did it with grace, style and patience.

You have my utmost respect and thank you for ALL of your determination and dedication. Enjoy your life to the fullest and may smiles and laughter be all around you with happiness for all your days. I'll never forget you, F.B.

14. Terril park

Terril park Sponsor

I believe a potential problem is that the server is a private one, possibly even in Emma's house. IIRC.

15. degraded being

degraded being Sponsor

I keep trying to start a post about all the good things about ESMB, but I think I'll be writing all day. Emma, I understand how horrible it would be to be attacked, and the need to stop that happening by removing yourself.

FWIW to those who talk about the "obsession" involved in ESMB....yes ok, it can be obsessive, but it is also a social network community (or whatever the correct jargon is). It is a computer-age community where people socialize, in a way. The focus may be Scientology - but the "obession" for many is not really obsession but just the usual satisfaction in socializing...and some esmber's are the best people you could choose to socialize with...it's not easy to get together with so many great people on a daily basis offline.

But that's just one area of the many other areas of ESMBer value,....the other areas, such as direct advice in dealing with cult abuse, real help and support, and all the mindfuck unravelling is obviously what it's all about for many and as I understand it, the real purpose of the board. The community feel (for those that feel it) does help a lot though, as an environment in which to get help or support.
    I'm staring to babble on, so will stop there.

Good luck Emma, I cant' say how much I have gotten personally from ESMB without writing for a really really long time!

16. Veda

Veda Sponsor

I quit Scientology thirty years ago and, even when a Scientologist, was a public person auditor who made only occasional forays (that may not be the best word for it :)) into Scientology Orgs. Since thirty years ago, I've worked on a number of Scientology related projects, off and on, but most of the time was spent not thinking about Scientology at all. In fact, I've gone years without giving Scientology a thought. To me, ESMB was a special development - an evolutionary step made possible by Emma, and by the Internet, so, compared to the pre-Internet grind of using typewriters and then primitive word processors, with no Internet to draw upon, posting on ESMB is a breeze.

It's a refreshing breeze, and I hope - even if I'm not around - that it continues in some form - with that enlivening mix of views I mentioned earlier - for a long time.

17. I am also hopeful that ESMB endures into 2013 and beyond. Its disappearance from the web would be a strike against freedom and would be taken as a victory by OSA and the Malicious Dwarf.

I have never been a Scientologist nor known one personally, but I know tyranny when I see it, and this organization has reeked of it since 1953.

My blood has boiled with anger over its foul attempts to silence its critics, from Paulette Cooper in the early 70’s to the recent fraudulent stalking charge against Brian Mandigo.

As a U.S. taxpayer, I am sickened that this criminal racket has enjoyed full tax exemption for two decades and the financial benefits of a non-profit for many decades before that.

And I have been saddened by the countless lives it has destroyed, particularly the poor souls such as Maureen Bolstad, who are thrown into this cesspool as children.

However, despite its unfortunate six-decade run of tyranny, I believe Scientology will eventually die, and ESMB is one of the clarion Bells of freedom ringing to both those who have escaped and those still trapped in this dark evil.

Thank you for providing this Bell, Emma. May it continue to ring loud and ring clear.

18. Veda

Veda Sponsor

19. Moosejewels

Moosejewels Patron Meritorious

Totally understand and agree with you.
    Scientology's become a non-entity.
    Not worth our attention.
    Although I've not been on the board that long, it's been fun.
    Thanks.
    :thumbsup:

20. TheRealNoUser

TheRealNoUser Patron with Honors