What's new

Jason Beghe Publically Confirms Marty Rathbun Was T.C.'s NOTS Auditor

uniquemand

Unbeliever
I don't think it's a privacy invasion, really, I think it's an error on Marty's point to use the fact that he was Tom's auditor as a marketing point.

I don't think that Tom could sue him about this, I don't think it's ILLEGAL, but I think it's GROSS, like using Success Stories to promote your services.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
So, I don't think the fact that Marty delivered Cruise's NOTs would really be along the same lines of "invading privacy".

Indeed. Although, do you remember the published completion lists that didn't just say "Special Rundown" but went into too much detail, like "Tiny Dick Rundown"? Well, maybe not quite as bad as that, but I know I wouldn't my name attached to some of those courses or rundowns.

Paul

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
I couldn't care less about whether Marty offers his 'services' by marketing himself as 'Tom Cruise' Auditor'. He might as well lay claim to 'David Miscavige's Right-Hand Thug'. But, what is going on here is Scientology's typical historical revisionism. Every lie they tell is another bit of Scientology exposed. And, Marty as an 'unperson' is just another in the long line, including David Mayo 'Ron's Auditor', which Marty certainly helped 'revise' himself.

What's it mean anyway; might as well revert to 'Toilet Paper As Supplied to Queen Victoria'.

Zinj

nexus100

Gold Meritorious Patron
Indeed. Although, do you remember the published completion lists that didn't just say "Special Rundown" but went into too much detail, like "Tiny Dick Rundown"? Well, maybe not quite as bad as that, but I know I wouldn't my name attached to some of those courses or rundowns.

Paul

:lol:

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
Book And Bottle Torture

It's not obvious to me that his auditing messed his head up. I think it's the indoctrination into the cult-mindset that fucked him up, not the auditing, although he may have had specific auditing actions programmed for him that would have helped bring him into compliance with the cult mind-set. If this was the case, Marty could speak to it, and it might be relevant.

Somehow, the idea of Tom Cruise being ordered about for 50 hours of book and bottle torture, i.e., cult compliance auditing, doesn't jive well with his on screen persona ... characters such as Naval Aviator Pete Mitchell, his Mission Impossible character, or even his hit man character in one of his fairly recent films. Video of Top Gun Tommy undergoing book and bottle torture would be almost as hilarious as a video of him barking commands at ash trays.

Pete

uniquemand

Unbeliever
I couldn't care less about whether Marty offers his 'services' by marketing himself as 'Tom Cruise' Auditor'. He might as well lay claim to 'David Miscavige's Right-Hand Thug'. But, what is going on here is Scientology's typical historical revisionism. Every lie they tell is another bit of Scientology exposed. And, Marty as an 'unperson' is just another in the long line, including David Mayo 'Ron's Auditor', which Marty certainly helped 'revise' himself.

What's it mean anyway; might as well revert to 'Toilet Paper As Supplied to Queen Victoria'.

Zinj

The David Mayo thing is a bit different, because the Church of Scientology was suing Mayo for using Scientology when he didn't have a right to the marks, and Mayo's argument was that he had been a principal developer of those marks (NOTS), and that the development of NOTS occurred in consequence of a special rundown developed to handle Hubbard's case condition. As such, it is a matter of public record, already.

Otto Roos also audited Hubbard, it wasn't a unique position to Mayo.

I'm not saying it's a good thing for anyone to do (to trumpet that you were so-and-so's auditor): it essentially puts forth a fallacy of appeal to authority. He audited Hubbard so he's an authority. He audited Cruise, so he's an authority. It's fallacious.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa

Paul

There's a Tiny Dick Rundown? :unsure:

Kha Khan

Patron Meritorious
It's one thing to say you represented some firm in a lawsuit, and another to represent yourself as the person who confesses Tom Cruise. Who confesses who is not a matter of public record, and shouldn't be.
Except as The Sneakster has already pointed out, Tom Cruise publicly acknowledged and thanked Marty as his NOTS auditor:
I was in the front row at AOLA when TC personally thanked Marty for delivering him his NOTS. I was on turnabout with TC as Marty’s other PC for over a month. I even coached TC through some meter drills on his OT VI. Am I now in some legal jepordy for having publicly stated this?
I can confirm this is true because, while unlike Jason Beghe I wasn't in the front row, I was there that day. I too heard Tom Cruise publicly acknowledge and thank Marty as his NOTS auditor.

The first floor auditorium at AOLA was packed with people who were brought over for the specific prpose of hearing Tom Cruise give his NOTS graduation speech. People from AOLA, ASHO, and LAO were all invited and routed in to hear TC speak. They all heard TC publicly acknowledge and thank Marty as his NOTS auditor.

It is a little late for Tom Cruise, or Bert Fields on his behalf, to assert that the identity of TC's auditor is confidential or private. Any right to privacy in that information was waived long ago when TC announced it to a room full of people, the overwhelming majority of whom he didn't know.

Last edited:

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
There's also "the obsessed person rundown"- it's a real rundown and would likely be one of those one might not want to publicly admit to...