L Ron Hubbard's abuses and violence

Discussion in 'L Ron Hubbard' started by Free to shine, Nov 17, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. Free to shine

Free to shine Shiny & Free

I started a thread to document the current abuses and crimes of David Miscavige and the current "Church" of scientology as these are continuing to this day and Karen #1 has done a wonderful job posting information on that.

However it started with Hubbard, and no matter the argument that he is long gone, the truth is that he is the source of the policies that are still followed and will continue to be until the whole truth is known. His attitudes, cruelty, and actions are responsible for the current and past dreadful abuses throughout scientology history and I want to bring together all the personal accounts of those who knew or were affected by them.

There is no question about the need to make Miscavige accountable for his crimes, the danger lies in thinking he alone is responsible and that suddenly all would be ok if he is removed when the original policy and attitudes remain.

I'll add to this thread tomorrow when I have time to research, meantime here are two videos from Hana Whitfield with her personal experience of Hubbard and how he treated staff.

(Background info first, stories start appox 7:00)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wGwsbwqNb8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys_X42lMoNw&feature=related

2. Demented LRH

Demented LRH Patron Meritorious

I read somewhere that Hubabrd threw a Sea Org member overboard, that person's name was Joos. Being a good swimmer, Joos survived the fall.

3. Markus

Markus Silver Meritorious Patron

Thank you for starting this thread FTS :thumbsup:

I met Hana at a symposium about Scientology in 2010 in Hamburg. She is a wonderful handsome and honest person. The interview which you posted above was recorded after the symposium. Here is her speech from the symposium which in my opinion is even more powerful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd00GtwXcYQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmF9Tpqqw_U

Love
    Markus

4. Markus

Markus Silver Meritorious Patron

It were the insane ideas and writings of Mr. Hubbard which caused the horror story of my family in and in contact with the Church of Scientology. The following quotation is from my thread "My family in Scientology: child neglect, fraud, slave work, trafficking, imprisonment, medical malpractice, espionage within the family, taking away human rights." :

"I will dedicate this to you Mama because you had to watch helpless when this criminal organization robbed your son Uwe 16 years young in 1979 and convinced him to join the Sea Org by telling him countless lies, because your beloved eldest son disappeared into a black hole then, because they told you a thousand lies about the circumstances of his life, because you had to watch powerless when you finally found out in 2002 that he was suffering from Multiple Sclerosis, because they did not give you a chance to help him with proper medicine. It broke your heart one last time in your life so inconceivable hard to watch Uwe how he perished in the RPF with his illness without being able to help him.
    You died in March 2004 - 18 months after you were informed about Uwes bad condition and his illness. The fact that Uwe was suffering since 1988 was hidden from you. I had to travel to California in 2010 in order to get hold of Uwes medical files to find out that fact. So they lied to you until the last days of your much too short life.
    The written orders of L. Ron Hubbard caused these insane brainwashed people at the international headquarters of the Church of Scientology near Hemet and in Los Angeles to lie and hide the facts from you. Hubbard created these orders with the obvious intention to enslave his followers and he found a mean and criminal way to even hack their souls with brainwashing methods."

You will find the whole story here: http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...ect-fraud-slave-work-trafficking-imprisonment

Love
    Markus

5. uniquemand

uniquemand Unbeliever

While Hubbard can be blamed for what he wrote and did, the people who executed his orders and continue to do so, today, are just as responsible for the abuses and fraud that continue in Hubbard's and Scientology's name.

Their efforts to move responsibility to Hubbard, or Miscavige, or anyone else are a refusal to look at their own responsibility, at their own interpretations and actions as compared to their own moral compass. Instead, they compare their actions to policy and "group mores". This is the same sort of thing that led Nazis to commit despicable acts and then blame them on their superior's orders, or on Hitler. It's the same issue that got exposed in the Stanford Prison Experiments. It happens in Basic Training (Army or other service branches, too), where people cease being responsible for their own actions, and instead snap to the orders of others without consulting their own sense of right and wrong.

The major difference between a Scientologist who follows orders rather than following their conscience and a Nazi is the title they give themselves.

6. Veda

Veda Sponsor

The first interview on the below video is of Hana Eltringham:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhULw6qarW4

In a post on ESMB, Alan Walter, Mission holder and student on the original Class VIII course, remembered an incident on the ship involving Julia Salmon. It's at the bottom.

John McMaster, from a 1985 interview:

"He [Hubbard] got the technology to the point where he had a sort of assembly line as he called it. And he told me how he was putting all these 'square ball bearings' on the beginning of the assembly line, and then turning them into 'round ball bearings' at the other end. That was his idea of 'standard tech'."

The following is provided for any lurkers, who might be wondering where the cruelty in Scientology originated:

First, an excerpt from Russell Miller's interview of David Mayo, Class XII, from August 1986.

This excerpt concerns events from the late 1960s:

"He [Hubbard] could be capable of incredible cruelty. On the ship there was an old man on the Royal Scotman who he made push a peanut round the decks with his nose. He had to get down on his hands and knees, he had to go round the deck, quite a long distance in a race with one or two others also in trouble. The first one back got let off and the last one got a double penalty.

"It was really tough on this old guy, Charlie Reisdorf. The surface of the deck was very rough wood, prone to splinter, so after pushing peanuts with their noses, they all had raw, bleeding noses, leaving a trail of blood behind them. I not only saw it but the entire crew of the ship was mustered - a mandatory attendance - we were required to watch this punishment, to make an example of it for the rest of us. Reisdorf was in his late 50s probably. His two daughters were messengers, they were 11 or 12 at time and his wife was there also.

"It was hard to say which was worse to watch: this old guy with a bleeding nose or his wife and kids sobbing and crying at being forced to watch this. Hubbard was standing there calling the shots, yelling, 'Faster, Faster!'. It was indignity, degradation and breaking a person's will, and making people watch. It was disgusting...

"They used to have people locked in the chain locker, including small children. It was very dangerous because if the anchor started to slip and started running out, it would probably turn a body into a pulp in no time at all...

"He [LRH] had a birthday party on March 13, 1968; there was a woman who he ordered locked in the chain locker. During the party he had brought her out. She was filthy, covered with dirt and rust, and had not been allowed to wash or change clothes - she had been in there for a week... he brought her out to the party. He said he was giving her a reprieve and permitting her to come to the party, as if that was a nice gesture. She wasn't allowed to change. She was brought to the party and had to stay, and later was returned [to the chain locker]... it was flaunting her degradation...

"Why did people stand by?...

"From time to time, Hubbard would cancel such activities like the chain locker, and blame it on someone else... He would start such pronouncements with, 'It has just come to my attention...'

"The length of time for children would vary, but no one was less than a day...

"Reisdorf [peanut pushing] affair - if someone tried to do something, it would have made it worse. Hubbard said that maritime law prevailed... He said that under maritime law, he had total power over everyone on the vessel..."

And one brief excerpt concerning events from the late 1970s:

"He told me he was obsessed with an insatiable lust for power and money. He said it very emphatically. He thought it wasn't possible to get enough. He didn't say it as if it was a fault, just his frustration that he couldn't get enough."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_w-YWwC1lI

And this from Alan Walter, from a 2007 post:

"...there was one stuck picture that would not go away. Behind it was at that time an unthinkable thought.

"Ron had Julia Salmon thrown overboard... Julia was... terribly overweight, and could not swim.

"The people who threw her overboard struggled to get her over the side; she was terrified; she kept crying out "I cannot swim!" On her way down she hit the side of the ship - I could hear her screams - it was obvious she was injured and drowning.

"The people on the deck all stood around too afraid to do anything. Fearing to originate any action less the become the target of LRHs displeasure.

"I ran and jumped over the side and rescued her. I then pulled her over to the ladder that led up to the ground level of the dock........it was about 20 feet straight up. She could not climb the steps. I had my shoulders under her butt pushing her up..... no one still had come to help.......but at the top of that ladder stood LRH filming us.....such evil.......

"Anyway after an immense struggle with Julia's help I was able to push her up to the top of the ladder....finally some help arrived.

"Over the years the unthinkable thought pushed forward more and more....it was 'that I observe that LRH was demonic at that time'. I did not want to know that, did not want to believe that.......that was too incredible to be believed - even for me - I did the usual make nothing of myself....'you're seeing things' 'what do you know' 'you've got overts' - much easier to blame self than confront what is..."

Perhaps the worst abuse by Hubbard, and Hubbard's Scientology, was psychological abuse, especially when inflicted "gradiently" and mixed with "wins" that (the person believes) will ensure his, and Mankind's, survival and well being for the next endless trillions. This abuse was preceded by DECEPTION, and deception, while not abuse, in and of itself, is an essential ingredient in the Scientology "mix."

To keep a person glued to Scientology it's necessary to maintain the proper ratio of - to put it simply - "positives and negatives." Currently, Scientology's dictator Miscavige is not doing so, having added too much lacquer to the lacquer&solvent mixture to produce an effective glue.

7. Veda

Veda Sponsor

Huh? This thread is mainly a description of doctrine and events, not about how we should all come up to present time and be responsible, etc. We already are in present time and already are responsible. Thanks anyway.

8. Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid Patron Meritorious

Hubbard could be so cruel because he didn't regard other people as human beings. They were tools to be used and exploited for his personal gain. Hubbard was a narcicist and a sociopath, and a sadistic motherfucker as well. Those people have no compassion, no guilt and no remorse. As I said in an earlier post: If people like Hubbard gain real power, it always ends in war, terror and genocide.

9. Free to shine

From Dart Smohen

Alan Walter

10. Free to shine

From A Piece of Blue Sky by Jon Atack

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  11. Petey C

Petey C Silver Meritorious Patron

Good thread, FTS. And while I agree that there are thousands of SO and other staff who have committed acts of wrongdoing coldly and cruelly, there's no doubt that the source of all of these was Hubbard and the way he was able, through his Teck, to free people's barbarian impulses. Having been one myself, I still occasionally go hot with shame at some of the things I did to others.

We don't need any more tyrants in this world, the non-Scn ones we have are bad enough.

12. Free to shine

A Piece of Blue Sky
    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Library/Shelf/atack/bs4-3.htm

[​IMG]

13. Free to shine

It's just that when reading of Miscavige's abuses, dreadful as they are, I wonder how many people know that Hubbard did it all before? More and more people are leaving and may not have found some of these accounts, hence this thread. :)

14. Free to shine

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Library/Shelf/atack/bs4-5.htm

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  15. Free to shine

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Library/Shelf/atack/bs6-1.htm

A good summation: The Founder

16. Veda

Veda Sponsor

A hodgepodge of quotes, roughly in chronological order:

From L. Ron Hubbard's 'Excalibur' letter of 1938:

"Living is a pretty grim joke, but a joke just the same. The entire function of man is to survive. Not for 'what' but just to survive... I turned the thing up [the 'dynamic principle of existence: Survive!'], so it's up to me to survive in a big way.

"Personal immortality is only to be gained through the printed word, barred note, or painted canvas or hard granite [or stainless steel]. Foolishly perhaps, but determined none the less, have high hopes of smashing my name into history so violently that it will take a legendary form ...

"It's a pretty big job. In a hundred years Roosevelt will have been forgotten - which gives some idea of the magnitude of my attempt...

"I can make Napoleon look like a punk."

From Hubbard's 'Affirmations' of 1946:

"You are just and kind. [but] You are merciless to any who cross your rule...

"You can be merciless when your will is crossed and have the right to be merciless.

"Your writing has a deep hypnotic effect on people and they are always pleased with what you write...

"Your psychology is advanced and true and wonderful. It hypnotizes people. It predicts their emotions, for you are their ruler..."

In October 1950, Dr. J.A. Winter, who had written the 'Introduction' to 'Dianetics, The Modern Science of Mental Health', resigned in protest from the Hubbard Dianetic Foundation. He described the ideals presented by Hubbard as "lip service."

In March of 1951, John Campbell, publisher of 'Astounding Science Fiction', also resigned in protest against the "cult" of Dianetics.

Meanwhile, Hubbard was busy writing letters to the FBI describing many of his former Dianetic associates as communists and communist sympathizers.

Hubbard's letters to the FBI would continue for years. In 1955, he wrote that he had received a lucrative secret offer from the KGB to travel to Russia and work for the Russians but had turned it down. Finally, the notation, "Appears mental," was affixed to the file containing his many letters.

Six months earlier, Hubbard had written 'The Manual on Dissemination of Material' which instructed Scientologists to "NEVER PERMIT" (capitalization in original) Scientology to be "talked about contemptuously before a group," and to use the legal system and law suits to harass and, if possible, "ruin utterly."

A few months before that, Hubbard implemented what he called his "religion angle" and made Scientology a "Church." Around the same time Hubbard wrote the faux 'Creed of the Church'.

Four years earlier, Hubbard had written, in 'Science of Survival', of how those low on the "tone scale" (placement on the "scale" being easily determined by the person's reaction to Hubbard, Dianetics and Scientology), should be, if they cannot be handled into thinking favorably of Dianetics, etc., "disposed of quietly and without sorrow." This was the early version of "handle or disconnect" from "SPs" that later became formal practice.

Here are some observations from some who knew L. Ron Hubbard. Excerpted from the book 'Messiah or Madman?', from interviews done in 1985/1986, regarding Hubbard's "charm":

From Sara Northrup, 2nd wife of L. Ron Hubbard, describing the early 1950s:

"He was capable of being extremely charming. He would turn on the charm in front of someone, and when he or she left, he'd go into a vitriolic tirade about the person he had just been charming to death."

From old timer Jack Horner describing the 1950s:

"He could emanate pure affinity, just engulf you in it. Of course, he wasn't sincere, but it was sure convincing to a lot of people. He had that ability: people would go into see him with a disagreement, and then they'd completely forget what the hell it was."

From L. Ron Hubbard Jr., of the 1950s:

"I've seen people charge into his office mad as hornets and come out a minute later pleased as punch."

From John McMaster, the "world's first real clear," re, the early 1960s:

"Hubbard used affinity to manipulate people..."

In 1951, Polly, Hubbard's first wife, wrote this letter to Hubbard's 2nd wife, Sara (From court records):

"Sara-

"If I can help in any way, I'd like to - You must get Alexis [Hubbard's daughter by Sara] in your custody - Ron is not normal. I had hoped that you could straighten him out. Your charges probably sound fantastic to the average person - but I've been through it - the beatings, threats on my life, all the sadistic traits you charge - twelve years of it. I haven't asked for anything, but with all the money rolling in from 'Dianetics' I had hoped to get enough for plastic surgery for Kay's [Ron Jr.'s younger sister] birthmark - Please believe I do want you to get Alexis."

And from the 12 February 1967 Policy Letter 'Admin Know-How, the Responsibility of Leaders' -a.k.a. The Bolivar Policy Letter - on the topic of how a subordinate should relate to his "power":

"[The power asks] 'What are those dead bodies doing at the door'. And if you [the subordinate] are clever, you never let it be known HE [the power] killed them - that weakens you and also hurts the power source. 'Well, boss about all those dead bodies, nobody at all will suppose you did it. [I]She[/I] over there, those pink legs sticking out, didn't like me'. 'Well', he'll say if he really is a power, 'Why are you bothering me with it if it's done and you did it. Where's my blue ink?...

"...always push power in the direction of anyone on whose power you depend. It may be more money for the power, or more ease, or a snarling defense of the power to the critic, or even the dull thud of one of his enemies in the dark, or the glorious blaze of a whole enemy camp as a birthday surprise..."

And from 1969:

"I can make Captain Bligh look like a Sunday School teacher.", 'Discipline, SPs, and Admin'.

And there's much more.

17. Ogsonofgroo

Ogsonofgroo Crusader

Awesome job compiling this Freets! and putting things in a nice, understandable, package.

I find it a bit diffiCULT to comprhend why so many, especially the ex's who are 'Freezoneers', keep insisting that its the current management that is all messed up, nothing could be further from the truth.
    Assured that its still a pile of donkey-droppings, but it began with the old windbag himself, demented, greedy, bloated, drug-fueled, crazy person.

I really like that some of the ex's are putting these posts together in loosly on-topic bundles, good on yu all and don't stop!

:cheers: & :heartflower:

18. Free to shine

From Bare Faced Messiah
    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Library/Shelf/atack/bs9-1.htm

19. Free to shine

Another account of overboarding from Bare Faced Messiah
    http://www.xenu.net/archive/books/bfm/bfm17.htm

20. Gadfly

Gadfly Crusader

Just to make it clear.

Hubbard is the SOURCE of the ideas that Scientololgy, the Sea Org and the organization are "based upon". They are based on these closely and exactly, just as Hubbard intended. He is fully responsible for the creation and all resultant activities of that which HE set into motion.

And, any person who accepts the ideas, think with them, runs with them, and "applies" them are aso fully responsible for what they do with those ideas NOW.

Without Hubbard there would not be the ideas nor the organization that various idiots could participate with and contribute to. He is fully responsible for it. Without him there would be NOTHING in terms of Scientology. All of these mindless followers would have instead found some other "absolutist", simplistic, tightly boxed-in, and fanatical system to attach themselves to.

Without the true-believing followers who devotedly and avidly accept and follow his statements, orders, plans, ideas and "command intention", there would also be no Scientology. These people are also fully responsible.

It isn't one or the other. Hubbard and the followers are EACH fully responsible for perpetrating the scam.

Miscavige is actually just another "follower", who in his unique case also "wears the hat" as the dictator of Scientology, just as did Hubbard.

Hubbard and the followers are two sides of the same coin. Without the other, the whole thing would/could not exist.

It is incorrect to try to portray one or the other as "the sole cause" or the "primary cause" of the bullshit known as Scientology.