Lone Ranger

Discussion in 'Reconnecting with Old Friends' started by PeterMan, Oct 20, 2012.

View Users: View Users
  1. PeterMan

PeterMan Patron with Honors

I saw a post on Rathburn's blog stating Diane Marple had passed a few years ago.

I was friends with her until a few years before that and am wondering if anybody had any details.

2. Leon

Leon Gold Meritorious Patron

She was a good web-friend of mine. C/Sed me through Excalibur.

All I know about the circumstances of her death is that she had some form of cancer. But she was very private about it and wouldn't tell much. Probably Pat Krenik may know more - though LR was a fairly brittle character most of the time and didn't much warm to Pat.

Her brother Wayne was a superb fella - as well as a real bastard too when he wanted to be. He was asthmatic and died when he had a major attack and had no inhaler with him. So I was told.

3. Claire Swazey

Claire Swazey Spokeshole, fence sitter

I remember Lone Ranger. She could be very acerbic but you know what else? She helped people. She helped people get courses they wanted to take but they couldn't afford them. (sorry for the crappy grammar). So whenever I think of her, I think of these things she did for this one person I do. My guess is that she did things like that for others, as well. And for that, I gotta salute her.

4. Mark A. Baker

Mark A. Baker Sponsor

She had a friend who went by the name of Andrew in his online posts and who helped her near the end. I last heard of him being somewhere in Arizona. The Kreniks might be able to tell you how to contact him.

Mark A. Baker

5. Mark A. Baker

Mark A. Baker Sponsor

No Claire, Oscar Levant, Dorothy Parker, Noel Coward, Lorenz Hart, are examples of what it means to be acerbic. What Marple did was routinely speak in a viciously abusive fashion to those with whom she disagreed. There was no cleverness, no darkly humorous mockery, nothing of wit or irony implied. There was only crudely nasty vituperation.

No doubt she spoke both out of the pain of her illness as well as her unquestioning personal loyalty to hubbard. Nonetheless, the viciousness of her attacks upon those who voiced honest disagreements with the misrepresentations of hubbard and his church was utterly inexcusable in a public fora, notwithstanding the excessive leniency with which the moderators of those fora all too often extended to her many calumnies and by which they demonstrated their own sympathies to the many lies & misrepresentations of hubbard.

Her personal kindnesses to those with whom she shared agreement about hubbard do not constitute a valid offset to the deliberate viciousness with which she treated those with whom she did not agree.

Mark A. Baker

6. Claire Swazey

Well, I hear ya. But I always liked what she did for that one friend of mine and figured she probably assisted others.

I know what you're talking about- I really do. But, at the end of the day, I'm trying to find good things to say about people, particularly ones who have died or at least am trying not to mention certain things about them. If I did that, Diane is not the only person I could have discussed. And I just didn't want to go there.

7. Claire Swazey

Yes, I knew Andrew fairly well, too. Haven't heard from him in a while.

8. Mark A. Baker

Mark A. Baker Sponsor

And I consider it more important simply to stick to known facts and neither attempt to defame or whitewash a person's reputation.

Afterall, the truth about anyone is complex. Opinions are only opinions, yet facts can be known and reported. Attempts to whitewash a person's reputation after the fact can be as much as a deliberate injustice as attempts to defame even if it is commonly thought of as 'nicer'.

Mark A. Baker

9. Claire Swazey

I hear ya.

10. Auditor's Toad

Auditor's Toad Clear as Mud

Speaking ill of the dead always seems so chickenshit to me.

Not much of a sport to speaking ill of those who can no longer defend themselves in person.

11. loose cannon

loose cannon Patron with Honors

There's something to that, but on the other hand I'm often appaled at the hypocrisy of those people who, when someone has died whom they always loathed, then sing praises on the character of the person having passed.

12. Mark A. Baker

Mark A. Baker Sponsor

The dead require no defense. Opinions don't matter. Just the facts.

Mark A. Baker

13. degraded being

degraded being Sponsor

I don't know anything about Ms Marple, but if it is important to say something positive about people who might not have been good while alive, they could be praised for having died. Those who are really bad and still alive could be seen as someone who is definitely going to do something good one day.

14. MrNobody

MrNobody Who needs merits?

To take this one step further: I've heard Hitler was very nice to little kids.

Jus' sayin' :coolwink:

15. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

Agreed. But I actually quite enjoyed my spats with LR, with whom I had many an exchange on Freezone message boards. :)

Paul

16. Mark A. Baker

Mark A. Baker Sponsor

Yes, but then with you it tended to be a bit of a deliberate ... :stickpoke:

Others just happened to walk innocently into her path and met up with ... :shithitfan:

Mark A. Baker

17. Claire Swazey

Someone when I think of "Ms Marple"...Lone Ranger is not the first person of whom Ithink. :coolwink:

18. PeterMan

Little known fact about Diane:

She liked the TV show Grey's Anatomy, and its characters.

Probably a lesser unknown fact:

She also liked the SyFy channel, a lot. We would watch Battlestar Galactica on it as it aired in during its third season.

19. Leon

Leon Gold Meritorious Patron

She had a child too, if I remember correctly. Anyone know anything about this? A daughter I think.

20. PeterMan

I know she had a son and two grandsons, I believe that she is survived by.