Mark 'Marty' Rathbun: Deconstructing Scientology (excerpt from upcoming book)

Discussion in 'MartyWorld' started by CommunicatorIC, Sep 13, 2014.

View Users: View Users
  1. CommunicatorIC

CommunicatorIC @IndieScieNews on Twitter

Mark 'Marty' Rathbun: Deconstructing Scientology (excerpt from upcoming book).

Deconstructing Scientology
    https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2014/09/13/deconstructing-scientology-2/

2. Cat Daddy

Cat Daddy Silver Meritorious Patron

[video=youtube;VsevYF7LZ6I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsevYF7LZ6I[/video]

3. Cat Daddy

Hypnotism

[video=youtube;PP376qIWyyg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP376qIWyyg[/video]

[video=youtube;_JY1pLFIsek]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JY1pLFIsek[/video]

4. Veda

Veda Sponsor

Excellent statement by Marty who appears to have read 'Messiah or Madman?' (1987, 1992, 1996) and its 'Critique on Scientology', and also 'Brainwashing Manual Parallels' (2001) - with special attention to the parts re. exploitation of the abreactive process: deleting old programs and inserting new programs - - plus Marty appears to have read Arnie Lerma's material on hypnosis.

I don't doubt that Marty is a regular reader of ESMB.

It's great to see these ideas publicized further.

Good work Marty. :)

5. degraded being

degraded being Sponsor

A very good presentation of why you don't realise why you're brainwashed in dianetics/scientology, IMO.

And no talk down.

6. Cat Daddy

You sell Marty Rathbun short, You probably hardley look at his website and the comments. When you see itb you probably go: prrrrrfffft

7. tetloj

tetloj Silver Meritorious Patron

Fabulous Marty

(but sincerely, a bit more punctuation please)

8. degraded being

degraded being Sponsor

Is your post intended to be humorous? just asking....

9. Cat Daddy

I applaud your sense of humour, I actually encourage it.

I have been Posting on his blog since 2009

I am dead serious, but I can still troll you hard if I wanted to

10. degraded being

degraded being Sponsor

Oh......:confused2:

11. Leland

Leland Crusader

TROLL ME HARD BABY......YYYYYEEEEEHHHAAAAA

12. degraded being

degraded being Sponsor

:)

13. CommunicatorIC

http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2014/09/13/deconstructing-scientology-2/#comment-318069

14. Claire Swazey

Claire Swazey Spokeshole, fence sitter

<snort>

I can do it mo' bettah than Marty.

15. CommunicatorIC

http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2014/09/13/deconstructing-scientology-2/#comment-318179

16. Francois Tremblay

Francois Tremblay Patron with Honors

From all the stories I've read, Rathbun's theory seems very valid to me. It is a testimony to the brainwashing of Scientology that the old-timers who leave do so, most of the time, not on the basis of the brainwashing fading but on something completely different... missing a spouse, being treated badly for trying to protect the tech, being treated badly by Miscavige, learning about some new Sciscam or misdeed, or some other deep-rooted feeling that overwhelms one's vanity at being a "big being." The deconversion seems to mostly come afterwards. This seems very strongly contrariwise to most established religions, where the deconversion seems to always come first.

17. OperatingThespian

OperatingThespian New Member

18. phenomanon

phenomanon Gold Meritorious Patron

I saved the excerpt
    Thanks for the 'bump'.

19. WildKat

WildKat Gold Meritorious Patron

I just looked at this thread from almost three years ago and read this excerpt that was posted in 2014, back when Marty was still pontificating. But I have to say, I agree with his take here.... this is noteworthy, and I think marks the spot where he really and truly "got it":

Begin excerpt
    martyrathbun09 | September 14, 2014 at 6:48 pm | Reply
    I am not griping. As per usual, I am calling it as I see it. Of all the leading forums on the subject, this is the ONLY one that consistently has been driven on that basis. I know what has been supported and pursued and I know what has not been supported, and what has been rejected and attacked. There is no support – expressed agreement and support are two entirely different things practically – for assistance in graduating from scientology. Having given of myself (with the gracious sacrifices of my wife) for years in trying, I have a) observed what makes it difficult – and more dishearteningly, distasteful – for people to do so, and b) researched the source of such thought patterns, and c) researched the origins of the implantation of those thought patterns. My turn of focus is beyond emotion or intuition. It is practical, almost even simply mathematical. I have so much time – and even that is no longer my own. Given the effort vs demand/reward it is impractical to work with damaged people who consider themselves not just undamaged, but in many ways superior to most. And that informs my direction toward focusing the diminishing time I can devote to the subject toward informing people why they should not get into this mental dissonance – as difficult and time consuming as its reversal has proven to be – in the first place. Only a couple of weeks ago, you yourself were defending scientology with the likes of this: “Nothing I read in Scientology ever said to act like an asshole.” To make such an asinine assertion would require either a tremendous propensity for lying or a serious case of implanted cognitive dissonance. Giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming the latter, I’d love to help you. But, if what I have done in five years has you at that stage, there really is nothing else I can think of to do. So, I opt to warn people from putting themselves into such condition in the first place. Label my road and choices – after all, it is the scientology way – however you like. It makes no difference – beyond possibly serving as validation – in the final analysis."
    End excerpt

I witnessed this myself, with the true believers who loved Hubbard and hated Miscavige. The more they loved Hubbard and his Tek, the more they hated Miscavige, who they saw as "keeping Scn from the masses". I had a good friend in this boat, and she became very hard to talk to; she in fact saw herself as superior to others and very aware. She thought this great awareness was actually the cause of her issues. She was in fact, VERY damaged by the indoctrination that she swallowed hook, line and sinker. Unless/until she could spot the actual cause of the damage (Hubbard himself, not his puppet Miscavige) she was never going to heal. She's still drinking the kool-aid, still looking for the perfect auditor that will save her.