More on “Confidential” Files in Scientology

Discussion in 'Mike Rinders Blog' started by RSS Feed, Mar 14, 2019.

View Users: View Users
  1. RSS Feed

RSS Feed RSS Feeder Bot

There is a new post up at the Mike Rinder's Blog

More on “Confidential” Files in Scientology

No Thursday Funnies this week due to Tom Cruise the cruise. But someone sent this to me as a follow up to the earlier post I had done about the use of priest/penitent files: Scientology Violates Priest-Penitent Confidences — When It Suits Them. What is so interesting about this issue is the lengths it […]

Continue reading...

2. Enthetan

Enthetan Master of Disaster

The files are not treated as "confidential", but rather "proprietary".

Catholic confessions have, through history, been confidential. Priests are forbidden to reveal what a parishioner has confessed to them, whether to civil authorities, or even their own bishops.

Scientology confessions are proprietary. Scientology resists handing over information to outsiders, EXCEPT when doing so benefits Scientology. If revealing a Scientologist's confessional secrets would benefit Scientology, they can and will disclose it to the world.

• Like Like x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  3. strativarius

strativarius Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband

I know very little about the catholic church and the confessional. What is a priest supposed to do if someone confesses to a capital offence?

4. Bill

Bill Gold Meritorious Patron

The rule is absolute: What is said in confessional is sacrosanct and can never be divulged.

5. strativarius

Thank you. Well, this is a real can of worms. I imagine the rights and wrongs of this issue have been debated for centuries - not much point in doing it again here.

6. Wilbur

Wilbur Patron Meritorious

I remember the PC folders in my org used to have written on the outside something like "Priest-Penitent Privileged Information". That certainly seemed like a promise of confidentiality to me. But you're right, of course, they don't actually treat them as such.

7. Enthetan

From the link I supplied:

8. Enthetan

If you were ever declared, anything juicy from your session folders would be right there on your goldenrod.

Even in orgs, auditors code about confidentiality was not followed. I remember being appalled at how often staff would gossip about stuff from some public's session.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  9. Wilbur

Me too. I caught at least two people in my org (one of whom had NOTHING TO DO WITH MY AUDITING) gossiping about stuff that I myself had divulged in sessions. I was absolutely appalled. Both of them were highly-classed auditors.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. strativarius

Some of the things that I heard while auditing public pcs would make your hair stand on end but I never ever told any one about it. Some stuff I didn't even write down on my auditors report form if it was really dodgy.

Sometimes I wonder what sort of scientology others were doing. I believed that if I flagrantly broke the auditors code it would have some kind of karmic effect and would damage my case. Others I know of were smoking dope and doing scientology at the same time. That to me is completely nuts.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  11. Leland

Leland Crusader

Yes, the Priest-Penitent Privileged PC folder, confidential information concept...was a ruse.

I now think that it was another Religious Cloaking maneuver done by the Cult. The Cult, borrowed and used well established Christian Theological Terms and Concepts....that really didn't mean the same thing, when the Cult used them.

It was really just window dressing.....and totally fake.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  12. Wilbur

I completely track with you on this. People told me hair-raising stuff in session also. It didn't even enter my mind to gossip about it, because I had read and understood the auditor's code. Also, I saw my role as an auditor being to help people to clean themselves up, so OF COURSE I was going to hear their deepest, darkest secrets, and I felt a responsibility not to take that fact lightly. But, like you, I also realised that others didn't seem to be doing the same kind of Scientology as me.

I was also treated from time to time (like everybody else) with the assumption that I must be a criminal who was ripping the org off or trying to cave it in (at least, that seemed to be the general flow - there were only one or two specific instances, however). I was once asked whether I'd had a "plant check". At first, I didn't know what I was being asked. I was thinking "plant check? I'm not growing any plants. What the hell is he talking about?" When I realised what I was being asked, I found it ludicrous. There I was, basically working for free, taking all kinds of shit from the org about staying later, doing more, etc etc, and then I was repaid for my loyalty by being asked whether I was a government plant. In a way, it makes perfect sense, actually, because who the hell would put up with all that shit to be there unless they were being paid by some outside agency. But anyway, most of us were there because we desperately wanted to "go up the Bridge", and were willing to make extreme sacrifices to do that.

The people in the orgs don't seem to be terribly good judges of people, in many instances. I saw people in the SO who clearly shouldn't be there, and nobody seemed to notice that they were, at best, camouflaged holes. But if you were in there and pitching, your bona fides was being questioned on a regular basis.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • List
  13. phenomanon

phenomanon Canyon

The Auditors Code didn't say you couldn't smoke dope.

14. cakemaker

cakemaker Patron Meritorious

"22. I promise never to use the secrets of a preclear divulged in session for punishment or personal gain."

It would be easy to parse this and explain that divulging the secrets from an auditing session was not done for personal gain nor as a punishment.

Nothing else in the Auditor's Code says anything about keeping the contents confidential.