Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol

Discussion in 'Human Potential, Self Discovery' started by Helena Handbasket, Dec 5, 2017.

View Users: View Users
  1. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket Gold Meritorious Patron

I've just seen Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol ( ) for the first time in years. It's a powerful movie.

There are many parallels between Mr. Scrooge and myself. We both tend to be parsimonious, unemotional and detached from society. The Ghost Of Christmas Yet to Come shows him his fate [if he does not reform] -- to die alone and unmourned. But he presumably avoids this fate by raising Mr. Cratchett's (his accountant's) salary and by buying his family a humongous Christmas turkey.

I really don't see myself being able to avoid my fate (although I'm convinced next lifetime will be far better). To outside appearances, I have done quite well, but inwardly I'm half insane and going to hell in a handbasket (thus the screen name).

I feel very threatened by the world at times. But money has always been my protection; as long as I can buy my way out of trouble, I can get by. Perhaps if I didn't feel so threatened I could be comfortable being more generous.

On another matter, I could see this story being adapted for a certain you-know-what for life. Now THAT could be interesting.

Helena