My apology to David Mayo

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by Feral, Apr 19, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. Feral

Feral Rogue male

I'd like to apologise to David Mayo on behalf of myself and any, that like me, bought the party line that you were at fault for everything from corruptions in sec checks to the lack of workability of NOTS. That is, any that see the duplicity of the cult that was employed to aggrandize DM at your expense.

I saw three NOTS evolutions that the need for was blamed on you. The fact is it was a marketing exercise and every one who had attested to NOTS was put back on the new rundowns, where ever they were on the bridge. OTVIIs would have to do the new RDs on their six months checks, some who had not gone past OTV re did the NOTS three times. The AOs made a fortune re servicing their existing fields and it hid the sad truth; that there was no expansion and few more were doing OT levels.

If it had have been true then things would have been fixed after you went, sadly they got worse and continue their descent as this is written.

We were scammed and taught to hate you in the bargain, your name was mud and you were what the cult needed, a scapegoat. You being the villain was used to bind and blind all still in to the sleight of hand as it picked our pockets.

All of this you know and now as it all seems like a former life to me I reflect at my folly and gullibility and cringe for not seeing through the manipulation.

So, I'm sorry about that and have since been horrified at the treatment meted out to you, on the running track and since. I don't intend to get any more maudlin than that, so I'd like to say welcome and that I'm glad you're here.

Now that's out of the way can we expect to have some of the conveniently repeated myths pierced now? :D

2. RogerB

RogerB Crusader

Nice, Kev!

Yes, the tragedy of the Cof$ is that we believed Hubbard and the "hierarchy" were honest . . . .

What a trap!

Rog

3. xseaorguk

xseaorguk Patron Meritorious

David Mayo

I found out that Mayo had been declared and SP in the early eighties.
    It just didn't make sense that the super OT Ron could not have recognised that somehow.
    I mean the guy was audting Hubbard, come on!
    What about Ron's abilities to recognize that for what it is, if it even had been.
    That just confirmed to me that all the SP declaring was a joke anyway.
    I still believed in $cn for many years after, but was not active.

From watching the videos, Mayo seems very sincere and a lovely guy.
    I watched the clips about the AAC and liked the idea about the ARC being important.
    I'm sure they were then crushed by organised $cn due to the copyright issues. What happened to all those people in the video?
    I often wonder what happened to people I worked with.

4. uniquemand

uniquemand Unbeliever

A lot of them are still in circulation in the independent scientology crowd.

5. MostlyLurker

MostlyLurker Patron Meritorious

Others moved on.

6. uniquemand

uniquemand Unbeliever

True enough.

7. Opter

Opter Silver Meritorious Patron

I remember when a friend-a scientologist- came to tell me that she just bought the Tech dictionary and she was horrified to find on the first page the name of David Mayo. We both went and checked the other Tech dictionaries in the org and they all had his name on it. She decided to keep her Tech dictionary but she wiped out his name.:yes::duh:

Opter

8. CarmeloOrchards

CarmeloOrchards Crusader

Now would you like to confess to wearing white polyester pants with white patent leather shoes too?

9. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Crusader

[​IMG]

I actually have a photo of David Mayio in 1981 wearing a similar white polyester suit. It was taken at some hotel not far for the Beach in Miami. He came to give awards to auditors with the most well done auditing hours. The event was at a Sheraton or something. Kathy Bodorf took the prize. It was taken with a tiny Minolta camera. It was the only pic I had and I kept it tucked away inside a drawer of my vanity for well over a decade. Do I hear any bids? :D

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  10. David Mayo

David Mayo Patron with Honors

Kevin

Apology not needed by me, but unconditionally accepted, of course!

AND if this makes sense, I would like to state that I do not need or want apologies from any of the good people here. (Well, excepting any sneaky buggers who may have other 'fish to fry'.)

D
    I came back to this post because I think my reply above was perhaps, "nauseatingly obnoxious"! It is not a matter of whether the apology was needed by me or not. True it wasn't/isn't needed by me BUT that could belittle the intent and the good will of the person posting it.

What I want to say and now do is: Feral, I thank you for your apology from the bottom of my heart. I appreciate you and all the others like you, who are honest. I thank you and commend you for recognizing the situation you were in and have now (successfully) sought to remedy it. Thank you,

David Mayo

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  11. Mark A. Baker

Mark A. Baker Sponsor

He's just 'out' and already you are talking blackmail? :eyeroll:

Mark A. Baker :p

12. FoTi

FoTi Crusader

David....you are sweeeeeet. :thumbsup:

13. Mike Laws

Mike Laws Patron Meritorious

Ferral,

Great minds and all that ... I have been playing with my own open letter to both Mayo and Scott, for my involvement and participation as an RTC staff member vs them in the 80s, haven't quite been able to intelligably capture my thoughts yet.

Class act dude.

14. rockyslammer

rockyslammer Patron

get it out there before they gag you too!!:coolwink:

regards
    Martin

15. Axiom142

Axiom142 Gold Meritorious Patron

An Aussie apologising to a Kiwi! :omg:

Now I’ve heard it all. :eyeroll:

When I got in Scientology in ’86, I didn’t know anything about the bloodbath that had occurred just a few years before. But, it gradually became clear that David Mayo was the ‘Why’ behind the Tech ‘problems’. Except that things never seemed to really improve after that, despite all the PR regarding ‘how much better things were’.

I suppose I should have realised the truth sooner especially given that I did see that there always had to be a scapegoat. Usually someone who was no longer around to defend themselves. So often, so-and-so was supposedly a ‘huge SP’, yet when they were still ‘in’ you wouldn’t hear a word said against them.

I should have known that a Kiwi couldn’t have been a bad’un!

David, I hope you will hang around ESMB and tell us what you can about what really happened in the bad old days.

I look forward to hearing more from you.

Axiom142

16. Voltaire's Child

Voltaire's Child Fool on the Hill

When I was in CofS, I used to hear David Mayo vilified. Even when I was fairly party line, it never sounded right to me, though I was afraid to say anything at the time and I also was in the church is always right mindset. Contradictory? Yep. That's how it is there.

Anyway, one of the things someone told me, an auditor in Seattle (who himself has major issues) was that David was dependent on doing too many "remedies" rather than standard actions. I bet this guy never even met David Mayo. And that is such a silly thing to say. It's like he was totally reaching. My point being that people were out and out making shit up about David Mayo.

17. Auditor's Toad

Auditor's Toad Clear as Mud

I well remember just being on OT VII when David Mayo was declared. I was there at Flag when it went down.

Did I believe it? No.
    Did I hear what many staff were saying ? Yes
    Did I speak up ? No.

No. I did not speak up. I kept my mouth shut. I wanted my bridge.

And later I came to view such a self serving punk decision was a deep violation of my own personal integrity.

I can only hope and trust others did better than I chose back then.

But, at last, damn if I didn't learn to not ignore the truth that stares me in the face and begs me to see it.

18. Vinaire

Vinaire Sponsor

I like that! :)

19. Voltaire's Child

Voltaire's Child Fool on the Hill

The cult blamed so much on him, it was bug fuck crazy. Even when I was in CofS, I sorta wondered about it because they contradicted themselves.

20. everfree

everfree Patron Meritorious

I got into CofS a while after the DM takeover. Sadly, I have to admit that I bought into the anti-Mayo group-think to the point where I rounded up all the Mayo side-checked Tech Dictionaries at the org and tossed them, not that I had any personal knowledge of what actually happened. I read "Story Of A Squirrel", the anti-Mayo screed, many many times.

One thing that did always bug me about SOAS is that in it, Hubbard purportedly calls Mayo a "bird dog" or enemy agent. That was a heck of a charge to bring against someone who had been involved for something like 30 years and was one of the first SO members. He'd worked long and hard for Hubbard, I couldn't imagine such a person being an enemy agent. Which "enemy"? Yet not a single shred of evidence was provided to back up such an outrageous claim.

One day well into the 90s (many years after the fact) an IAS reg came to town. They mentioned Mayo and said that he was an enemy agent. That reminded me about my long standing question about it. I asked the IAS reg what proof they had about it. They said they'd talk to me after.

Later I got a chance to ask about it. What was the proof? Story Of A Squirrel! Basically, Hubbard said so. Or was reported to have said so. Sigh.

That was a reminder to me to stay vigilant and not accept ideas based only on hearsay or authority. I was embarrassed that I had allowed my opinion of someone be so easily swayed. It made me wonder if there were other people who had perhaps been injustly accused.