my story

Discussion in 'Stories From Inside Scientology' started by ReaganYouth, Mar 17, 2009.

View Users: View Users
  1. ReaganYouth

ReaganYouth New Member

My involvement with scientology is not as involved or painful to hear as a lot of others on this site. I do, however, feel that my story reinforces what everyone else has said... that Scientology is a cult.

I decided to take a few courses and do the purif in my last year of law school. I had just had a bad breakup, my family was in a rough spot because my brother was diagnosed with a serious illness (mental), and I was up for trying anyhting new that would distract me from these realities.

I tried it because I wanted to see what it was about for myself. In all honesty, everyone was really nice to me, and I thought it was interesting.

However, when I realized that the purif was too much for me to handle, I decided to stop doing it. THey hounded me trying to figure out why, wouldnt respect my decision to quit it because I was worried about my health, etc. In addition, school starteed getting really intense, so I had to stop doing the courses... which they were not happy about.

Instead of just respecting my decision to take time off, they called me EVERY DAY, sent me mail (still do), despite me asking politely several times to stop. They couldn't understand that perhaps I wanted to do well in school instead of spending more time at the church.

I don't think I would be as upset with them if they had just respected my wishes. However, since they continuously hound me to buy more books, take more courses, etc., and completely ignore every effort I have made to clearly show I am no longer interested, I am furious, annoyed, and would like to make it clear to the world that this IS a cult.

They only want your money. They don't take no for an answer. THey basically try to wear you down until you give in.

I am on this board because I want to show others that they arer not alone, even if they didn't grow up in scientology, it doesn't mean they still weren't taken advantage of and harassed.

Anyhow, I am glad that I finally got my head on straight and joined this board. I am waiting for my bar results right now, and my main goal is to help bring them down once I pass the bar. (mostly because I do not think they qulify for the tax exemption. Did you know there was a lawsuit about this, and it was found that LRH embezzled money from the church, used church funds for himself, etc? He was a criminal).

If there are any legal concerns regarding protests or ANYTHING, please let me know and I will help as much as I can. i want to get involved in getting the message out about them and how they take advantage of people in vulnerable positions...

I am glad to be a part of the community and look forward to getting involved if I can.

2. Wisened One

Wisened One Crusader

Wow, what an intro, Raegan Youth! Thank you for sharing it with us, and :welcome: to ESMB!

Yeah, they think they're actually trying to *help you* by harassing people with daily calls and letters like that, :eyeroll: (I know, I used to have to do it, too) :duh: Can you say Telemarketers of the Spiritual Kind? (More like of the Scam Kind, lol). :no:

Glad you stopped and held to your own guns, like that!

Good Luck on passing your Bar, too! :happydance:

Michelle

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  3. DCAnon

DCAnon Silver Meritorious Patron

Legal Ex Vs The Cult. :D I am intrigued!

4. Iknowtoomuch

Iknowtoomuch Gold Meritorious Patron

Welcome to ESMB!!

Thanks for your story. Sounds like you made the correct choice. So many of us ended up with little to show for supporting the cult.
    I'm glad you kept going with school. And thanks for the offer of help.

5. EP - Ethics Particle

EP - Ethics Particle Gold Meritorious Patron

Welcome!

And we are very glad and appreciative of your presence here! :yes: :thumbsup:

EP

6. Tiger Lily

Tiger Lily Gold Meritorious Patron

:welcome: Reaganyouth!

Smart move to get out early and not let them intimidate you! I experienced the same thing, but believed them when they said it was because I was a special thetan and they just wanted the best for me. :duh:

I thing you'll be a great lawyer. Hope those bar results come soon so you can get to work!! :)

So glad you're here

-TL

7. Woggin' out

Woggin' out Patron with Honors

Welcome Reagan Youth

:wave: Great first posting! It sounds like you found out the truth quickly and didn't hesitate to make your decision. And now you want to DO something about it! Excellent! :hifive:
    Glad to have you "on board with the rest of us". An added bonus is that now you have that "fixed dedicated glare" (quotes from KSW) to stop the duration of this cult!! :yes:
    Love your screen name btw!

8. CornPie

CornPie Banned

How was it that you "decided" to take some scn courses, how did you become aware of scn in the first place, do you think you were you targeted because of your interest in "law"? What about your professors, your class mates, were they involved with scn, was this the sort of thing you discussed with them or was the subject off limits?

9. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

Heh. Welcome indeed. :)

Can you say what country you are in?

Paul

10. HappyGirl

HappyGirl Gold Meritorious Patron

:welcome: RY! Boy, is your first post intriguing! Since you talk about passing the bar, it sounds like you live in the US? (Do they "pass the bar" across the pond?) I would love to know which state you took the bar for? But will understand if you are uncomfortable revealing details like this on the board. Meanwhile, I can see it will be very interesting to have you around!

11. Telepathetic

Telepathetic Gold Meritorious Patron

Welcome ReaganYouth,

I am glad you are here:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

When you mentioned the insistance of Scientology,I was reminded of tar on ones fingers and hands...:coolwink:

TP

12. FoTi

FoTi Crusader

:welcome2: Welcome Reagan Youth :welcome2:

I'm so glad that you chose to finish school over continuing with Scientology. Unfortunately, I made the opposite choice and have regretted it many times over.

I'm also really glad that you found this site and that you have decided to join us and to help out. Your efforts will be much appreciated.

Hope you get your results from the bar real soon. :yes:

13. MarkWI

MarkWI Patron Meritorious

Didn't they try to have you leave school? Many of us fell for it.

14. cantsay

cantsay Patron Meritorious

God knows I did. They convinced me to drop my degree and join staff instead.

Im glad you didnt mate! Well done on sticking to your guns, god knows that is a hard thing to do when they put on the pressure.

15. Tiger Lily

Tiger Lily Gold Meritorious Patron

Yep, I wasn't in school, but they had me wondering if I really wanted to send my kids to a college and subject them to that suppressive 1.1 "educational" environment. Of course that meant the college fund could be used for Scientology. . . . :duh:

I'm glad you posted your story. People at all levels of involvement are reading here, and if they see that others have had similar experiences it will be easier for them to make sense of it. You don't have to be deeply involved to be manipulated. . . it starts the first time you walk through the doors.

-TL

16. dchoiceisalwaysrs

dchoiceisalwaysrs Gold Meritorious Patron

Welcome ReaganYouth nice to have you here.

Can you provide some links to the case where LRH was shown to have embezzeled funds?

What is the chatter in Law school about the litigious nature of the CoS?

17. Tim Skog

Tim Skog Silver Meritorious Patron

Welcome to the board. Hope you enjoy it.

18. airhead

airhead Patron with Honors

Hello there and welcome to the board!!!

Do you have any more specifics on this? I would be fascinated to know more. :yes:

19. Human Again

Human Again Silver Meritorious Patron

Hi and welcome to the board, which state are you in?

20. THANK YOU REAGAN YOUTH

Thank you so much for taking the time to join here. How wonderful you will help with legal stuff. Wonderful of you. Welcome here.