What's new

New Narconon Site in Maryland. Hearing Tuesday.

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
Narconon lies in quote from the newspaper article:

"A Narconon executive says the program is nonreligious and wouldn't be used for church recruiting."

Narconon has said many times that they employ "graduates" of the program. Narconon appears in the "Entry Routes into Scientology" chart and is a licensee just as all the other Scientology organizations are licensees.

The Purification Rundown or whatever it is called today and that is part of the Narconon treatment was developed as part of Scientology spiritual counseling. For it to be protected as a so-called religious activity and not as a medical one, it must be defined this way. How can it be religious and nonreligious at the same time?

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Thanks to all who posted here and sent good wishes. Sorry for not getting back to ESMB sooner but I've not feeling well for about a week and just not up to my usual speed in posting. I'll try to respond to each comment as I can over the next few days. In the meantime:

The hearing was held on 4/7/2015 with the Frederick County Council on deciding whether to approve or not the Preservation Commission and Appeals Board recommendations for the Narconon Trout Run property owners to obtain a place on the Frederick County Historic Places Registry. The decision was postponed until April 21st so that the council could have time to digest all that was presented, stated and commented on, as well as the ordinances related to the matter.

I posted information over at Reaching For The Tipping Point Forum aka RFTTP, including the video link, information on what happened, strategy details and contact information. I am keeping it over there because a number of the community members who attended asked me to stay in contact and let them know what was being done to help keep the program out of the area. We are using this thread to get the information out there to people who can do something in their community and learn from this how Narconon tries to infiltrate communities and what can be done about it. We hope many join in as members

http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,12793.msg35253.html#msg35253

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Narconon lies in quote from the newspaper article:

"A Narconon executive says the program is nonreligious and wouldn't be used for church recruiting."

Narconon has said many times that they employ "graduates" of the program. Narconon appears in the "Entry Routes into Scientology" chart and is a licensee just as all the other Scientology organizations are licensees.

The Purification Rundown or whatever it is called today and that is part of the Narconon treatment was developed as part of Scientology spiritual counseling. For it to be protected as a so-called religious activity and not as a medical one, it must be defined this way. How can it be religious and nonreligious at the same time?

What a house of lies...but what else can be expected from Lie-entology? And its tentacles Lie-CON con and con and con. You could show the scientology organization/command channels chart to a scientologist or Narconon official liar and they would tell you that someone made a typo on those charts and Narconon is not connected to scientology in any fashion. hmmm maybe there is some truth to the claim they don't recruit...they actually deceive and mis-lead people to [STRIKE]join[/STRIKE] become trapped the 'chirch'.

imSPecial

Patron with Honors
http://www.fredericknewspost.com/op...cle_e1e90c67-0d6c-5843-9804-74f4905888bb.html

April 10, 2015
Not your father’s Frederick County

...And while we’re on the subject of “who would have guessed,” what a surprise to learn that a residential drug rehabilitation center is planned for the historic Trout Run retreat near Thurmont. The organization seeking to establish the center — Narconon — is affiliated with the high-profile Church of Scientology. Narconon’s plans to move forward with the project depend upon receiving historic designation for Trout Run from the county.
Scientology has made headlines for years. It boasts members such as actors Tom Cruise and John Travolta, but it has also gotten bad press from some former members. The Narconon program of substance abuse rehabilitation includes purging the body of toxins through exercise and sauna sessions. This regimen made headlines after several patients reportedly died while in treatment at Narconon’s Arrowhead, Oklahoma, facility.

Intelligence

Silver Meritorious Patron
http://uk.businessinsider.com/church-of-scientology-washington-lobbyist-2015-4?r=US#ixzz3X0xngMk4

Meet Scientology's lobbyist who works the halls of Congress for the church

April 8 - 2015

EXCERPTS:

For over ten years, records show the Church of Scientology has had one man lobbying Congress on its behalf.

According to House of Representatives and US Senate disclosure reports, the controversial religious group has paid over $1 million to Greg Mitchell to lead its lobbying efforts since 2003.

No other lobbyist has reported working for the church during this period.

Mitchell explained that his efforts to promote prisoner re-entry were conducted in conjunction with Scientology's rehabilitation programs for criminals and drug abusers, Narconon and Criminon.

Mitchell is the founder and chief executive officer of The Mitchell Firm. He is a member of the church and has been lobbying on its behalf since 2003.

"I have friends who are in it and they're the ones who really introduced me to it," Mitchell said

Intelligence

http://uk.businessinsider.com/church-of-scientology-washington-lobbyist-2015-4?r=US#ixzz3X0xngMk4

April 8 - 2015

EXCERPTS:

For over ten years, records show the Church of Scientology has had one man lobbying Congress on its behalf.

According to House of Representatives and US Senate disclosure reports, the controversial religious group has paid over $1 million to Greg Mitchell to lead its lobbying efforts since 2003.

Mitchell explained that his efforts to promote prisoner re-entry were conducted in conjunction with Scientology's rehabilitation programs for criminals and drug abusers, Narconon and Criminon.

Mitchell is the founder and chief executive officer of The Mitchell Firm. He is a member of the church and has been lobbying on its behalf since 2003.

"I have friends who are in it and they're the ones who really introduced me to it," Mitchell said

Intelligence

Huh? WHY a double/tripple post? Perhaps a Mod/Admin can delete?

April 8 - 2015

EXCERPTS:

"I have friends who are in it and they're the ones who really introduced me to it," Mitchell said.

Intelligence

April 11, 2015: Frederick County, Maryland - County Council Meeting video edited from 2.5 hours long to about 11 minutes listening to concerned citizens about why the Scientology entity "Social Betterment Properties International" should not be approved to designate the property as "historical" - thus opening the back door for Scientology to open a Narconon drug rehab center. As one citizen stated: "They have more money than God" - and can do whatever they want if approved.

The entire 2.5 Hour video link is here:

https://frederick.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=5&clip_id=4807

Eleven minute excerpts from meeting on YouTube:

[video=youtube;cmTXUsaPlWY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmTXUsaPlWY[/video]

Last edited:

AnonyMary

Thanks for putting that together Intelligence. I was very sick that day ( all week actually ) and tried my best to say something on such short notice, when the issues were not clear, especially for the council who were not sure what they were voting on. At one point I thought I was going to faint but hung in there.

I was very impressed by the others who spoke and so relieved that they all supported our platform for a denial. They were courageous. Social Betterment's attorney was visibly upset :)

It's clear that the public knows Narconon is Scientology and Scientology is bad thing. :thumbsup:

Intelligence

Thanks for putting that together Intelligence. I was very sick that day ( all week actually ) and tried my best to say something on such short notice, when the issues were not clear, especially for the council who were not sure what they were voting on. At one point I thought I was going to faint but hung in there.

I was very impressed by the others who spoke and so relieved that they all supported our platform for a denial. They were courageous. Social Betterment's attorney was visibly upset :)

It's clear that the public knows Narconon is Scientology and Scientology is bad thing. :thumbsup:

All of you who spoke out against the proposal did a GREAT job!!!

I am very tired and exhausted from a three month legal battle that just ended on Thursday, and I'm smiling about it is all I can say.

So, after I rest a wee bit for next 3-4 days, I'll edit the rest of the 2.5 hour long Hearing, and include some more important issues
that was said at the Hearing.

You were AWESOME.:dancer:

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
As one citizen stated: "They have more money than God" - and can do whatever they want if approved.

This is another real risk, that security fencing similar to that in Riverside County, CA outside Gold will permanently mar the visual landscape. He also says that a public road goes through the area! The lady at 9:31 minutes really nails it down when comparing a "group home" to what is actually operating with even a "faith based" rehab facility. A hearty well done to all who testified against this deceptive land use.

AnonyMary

Council votes tomorrow night, April 21st. Tony Ortega writes today of a Washington Post article about the matter. See 2nd article "Washington Post story lets Narconon get away with a whopper" on this page at this link

Today, the Washington Post has a really fun piece about the hilarity this situation has caused. Narconon paid for consultants who are trying to convince local officials that Trout Run is a historically significant place, while locals who want to keep Scientology out are arguing that the place isn’t really significant at all. “At best…Trout Run merits a roadside plaque, inscribed ‘On this site in 1930, Herbert Hoover bagged a big one’,” said one person opposed to the drug rehab.

That’s all great and we are interested in seeing how this fight turns out. But we were disappointed that the article allows Narconon to get away with this whopper: “Narconon officials vehemently deny the program pushes Scientology, describing it as completely secular in its approach.”

Scientology-backed drug rehab triggers a furor near Camp David
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...2b6dee-e2b1-11e4-81ea-0649268f729e_story.html

Important:

The Frederick News Post newspaper is running a poll through tomorrow. Please take a moment to check it out and help keep Narconon from getting this designation so they can be allowed a 'group home" here: Vote NO! today! No registration required

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/news/news_regular_features/daily_poll/does-the-trout-run-retreat-deserve-a-historic-designation/poll_80093ddd-6971-5e62-9bad-d908a1ff4bad.html

Thanks!!

Last edited:

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
In the comments below the WP story, a poster says that Hubbard was an alcoholic who went to AA and got sober. Then he started SYNANON.

This is an obvious confusion with Scientology that numerous people made while I was living in LA in the early 1970s. Other differences include the amount owed to the IRS (Synanon only owed $17 mil) and the snake-in-the-mailbox method of intimidation that was famously employed against an attorney. Synanon claimed to cure people of drug addiction and had some success stories back in the day. They also had a brute squad that broke some heads and labelled people who left the movement as "splittees," which sounds kinda jive compared to "suppressive person."

More at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synanon

AnonyMary

New article, another local media source in Maryland where comments open!

Bunkerites, Disqus is the comment format so please post a comment (or register with Disqus to do so )

Trout Run Property Owners Seek Approval for Scientology-Linked Drug Treatment Center

Mallory Sofastaii Your4state.com Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. 04/20/2015 03:36 PM. 04/20/2015 07:32 PM
http://www.your4state.com/story/d/s...roval-for-scient/41806/O46Kc6UKm06Wl4AMALkcRg

mawena

Patron with Honors
Has anyone been able to look into who is sitting on that panel and if they have any connections to Scientology?

Here is the website for the Frederick County Council:

https://frederickcountymd.gov/591/County-Council

Names of council members on the left.

Contact information available. Avoid spamming them. If you must, send them a helpful email about Narconon.

Council President:
Bud Otis (seriously): [email protected]

Council Members:
Kirby Delauter: [email protected] (Careful with this guy, he sounds prickly: http://wapo.st/17gP6Of)
Tony Chmelik: [email protected]
Jerry Donald: [email protected]
Jessica Fitzwater: [email protected]
M.C. Keegan-Ayer: [email protected]
Bill Shreve: [email protected]

Last edited:

AnonyMary

Has anyone been able to look into who is sitting on that panel and if they have any connections to Scientology?

Here is the website for the Frederick County Council:

https://frederickcountymd.gov/591/County-Council

Names of council members on the left.

Contact information available. Avoid spamming them. If you must, send them a helpful email about Narconon.

I have and there are no connections that I can see,. However, Social Betterment Properties Int and it's attorney Bruce Dean have been schmoozing the county planning dept, in particular a guy named Denis Superczynski who is a county principal planner. And for over 2 years they have been working on this, getting whatever was needed to get the initial ok's from the preservation dept, the board of appeals... but the council is very independent, if you listen to the whole hearing posted earlier you can tell they had no idea what a mess this was not what they would have to vote on if it was already approved 2xs earlier. They did not want to rubber stamp it but they may have no choice if the property meets the Historic places criteria set previous lawmakers and overseen by Preservation Dept ( laws which definitely have to be amended and most likely will after this )

It's not above this organization to try and buy votes but I think at this point, there is a good chance it will be OK's just because there is not much proof that they don't meet the criteria ( 3 out of 10, only needing one to get OK'd! ) Hoping the council finds reasons not to OK it... but we will see.

Comments really should be related to the decision on approving it for a place on the Frederick County Historic Places Registry... but the last article I posted has some good reasoning on how you would lose the purpose of the designation if the purpose behind it is for an intended group home.

AnonyMary

Directory of area city and town meetings
April 20, 2015
Frederick County: Meets 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, 12 E. Church St. Agenda includes confirmation of county executive’s appointees; consider designation of Trout Run (Richey Lodge) as a Listed Site on the Frederick County Register of Historic Places; discussion on how to proceed on the Monrovia Town Center Remand from the Circuit Court; Draft FY2016 Operating Budget, Draft 2016-2021 Capital Improvements Program and Draft 2016 Capital Budget (excluding BOE operating budget). 301-600-1100. www.frederickcountymd.gov.
http://www.fredericknewspost.com/ne...cle_8c555ace-c108-5866-908e-a3f40048b835.html