Ortega reviews Rathbun's memoirs

Discussion in 'Tony Ortega' started by Veda, May 29, 2013.

View Users: View Users
  1. Veda

Veda Sponsor

Tony Ortega's review of Marty Rathbun's 'Memoirs of a Scientology Warrior':

http://tonyortega.org/2013/05/29/marty-rathbun-builds-his-warrior-legend-in-new-memoir/

I'm posting this as it will likely be more visible - with an identifiable title - than the already existing thread on the topic:

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...se-remember-the-good-old-day-on-Planet-Farsec

This thread - if it ever becomes a thread - and the original can be merged, or this one eventually vaporized if it has no posts.

It exists mainly as a sign post to the original thread - see above. :)

2. BunnySkull

BunnySkull Silver Meritorious Patron

I find it interesting that within minutes of Tony's review being posted Rathbun updates his blog proclaiming Tony hates the book and therefore that's a sign he's got it right.

Man, Marty has some extremely thin skin. I truly believe if you aren't giving him mindless, fawning praise he interprets it as hate! Tony gave a very factual review, avoiding saying anything about Marty's cringe inducing prose, and basically expressed some disappointment in Marty not really coming clean and defending some pretty nasty cult operations. But as Tony points out it's good insight into the cult think and pov that allowed Marty to continue his terrible behavior for years - so it's interesting for that reason.

It was far from a "hateful" review to say the least and the fact he remained silent on Rathbun's godawful writing "style" (& as a former editor that must have been tough for Tony) shows he was being quite kind to Marty. Makes me wonder if Marty had ever read real book reviews before. ( Not including the blow job reviews the cult writes for all of Hubbard's tripe, or maybe that is the root of the problem.)

3. WildKat

WildKat Gold Meritorious Patron

Maybe I missed something but I couldn't even find the review on Tony's website. He's got something up there today about Claire Headley and the Tone Scale. I had to go to Marty's blog and click on the link he gave to find Tony's review, which is supposedly somewhere on his website?

Anyway, agree completely with you BunnySkull. You nailed it.

While pretending to be humble, Marty just seeks praise and adulation, and my guess is the reason he doesn't care much for Tony's feedback is more a jealousy issue. It doesn't hurt to read Tony's writing - LOL!

Having said that, I still ordered Marty's book and will stumble through it when it arrives. Then I'll give my own book report. :yes:

4. Veda

Veda Sponsor

[​IMG]

One way or another, the link in the top post will take you there.

One noteworthy item in Tony Ortega's review is mention of Marty Rathbun writing that it was Hubbard who "reinstated Disconnection." This topic was addressed earlier by Rathbun, and I think also Rinder, and, IIRC, both stated that, yes, Hubbard gave the order that reinstated Disconnection, but, for all practical purposes, Disconnection, as a practice, had never been discontinued.

That's some refreshing truth telling, for a change.

Unfortunately, according to Ortega, Marty is not yet prepared to engage in truth-telling in other areas. Although, Marty does seem comfortable with mentioning that Hubbard, in the 1980s, was bonkers on psychiatry. However, as I'm sure Marty knows, Hubbard was always bonkers on that topic.

Below are re-posts that provide some background re. Disconnection post its "cancellation.":

From Ortega's old Village Voice blog...

From a poster named "Xenu," in reply to another poster named "Sketto":

Since I worked for HCO [Hubbard Communications Office] during the 1970s, I'd thought I'd chime in with what I personally witnessed during those years.

Hubbard actually did cancel disconnection, after Australia had cracked down, and New Zealand was on the verge of outlawing the cult. Not only did he cancel disconnection, but he also banned Fair Game, sec checks, and the recording of what went on in auditing sessions. Way cool, huh?

The only problem was that the policy letter cancelling those things was only issued to the New Zealand government commission that was considering the banning of Scientology.
    [Note: It was also mentioned in a few other places, mostly PR literature for the broad public.]

I oversaw a ton of disconnection during the 1970s, and had to disconnect from a couple of people myself. I personally saw that they continued to happen at major Class IV [now called Class V] and SO [Sea Org] orgs just as they always had. Nothing changed... Sec checks and Fair Game continued, despite the wholly disingenuous sham of policy change.

Andre Tabayoyon, and various other poster here, who were in HCO in the '70s, can easily vouch for me on this

Here's some more from Xenu over at Tony O's at the Village Voice:

...Hubbard was getting a lot of PR flack over disconnection, so he wrote a policy which would help PR a lot without changing anything significant. I'm sure it was meant to be misunderstood by outsiders...

The policy did NOT cancel disconnection, rather it said that 'disconnection as a condition' was cancelled. Now, one might well ask, WTF is 'disconnection as a condition'?

If you dig through some ancient ethics folders, you would find that they would often explicitly state that the subject of the ethics order was to disconnect from one or more other parties who would be named in the ethics order, and that reinstatement to good standing would not happen until that had been done. THAT was disconnection as a condition.

So we stopped naming names of people to be disconnected from in ethics orders. Instead, Type A PTS would be told that they had to handle or disconnect, and if handling was impossible, well, too bad! And people still had to disconnect from SPs... the Nov '68 policy had no real impact other than PR.

From Volume One of the OEC Course, HCO Division, a.k.a. a Green Volume, from 1974, HCOPL dated 23 December 1965, 'Suppressive Acts, Suppression of Scientology and Scientologists', and on page two of that HCOPL there is a list of suppressive acts over forty lines long - most of the page.

"Suppressive acts are defined as actions or omissions undertaken to knowingly suppress, reduce, or impede Scientology or Scientologists...

"[Such suppressive acts include] public disavowal of Scientology... public statements against Scientology.

"[Suppressive acts also include] continued membership in a divergent group; continued adherence to a Suppressive Person or group pronounced a Suppressive Person or group by HCO; failure to handle or disavow or disconnect from a person demonstrably guilty of suppressive acts; being at the hire of anti-Scientology groups or persons..."

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  5. clamicide

clamicide Gold Meritorious Patron

I think it might have been Rathy's plan all along. Those still in the mindset still think the press is suppressive. Since Ortega had criticism of his first book, he sent it ahead for the review, waiting to counter it the moment the review came out. That way, he could discount the review immediately and his followers would dismiss the review as worthless and just take Rathy's take on it and not check it out for themselves. Classic PR tek.

6. I think you're right, he knew that Tony was not going to allow his flimflam to go unchallenged, so he prepared his response prior to even giving Tony a copy of the book, then modified accordingly to fit which of his bullshit Tony focused on. He's such a warrior

7. Free to shine

Free to shine Shiny & Free

Worth reading this review!

http://tonyortega.org/2013/05/29/marty-rathbun-builds-his-warrior-legend-in-new-memoir/

8. BunnySkull

I think the posters saying Marty's post is nothing more than Scio PR tech are dead on, even Tony has said as much now. Responses from his fan club indicate he was right on the money, replies such as "If Tony hates it I'm def. buying it!" A positive review from Tony may have driven his indie cred even further down the toilet.

But it gets better. I guess the response to his first post made him up the ante Marty is now saying "the critic community is doing more to CENSOR his book than the CoS!" Of course, there is not one iota of proof to this totally bizarre claim. When called on it Marty claimed proof was some people on Tony's blog said they were not going to buy it after reading Tony's review.

So take note ESMB, not giving Marty money equals CENSORING him. He still truly is stuck in Scio think.

9. CommunicatorIC

CommunicatorIC @IndieScieNews on Twitter

One Good Reason To Read ‘Scientology Warrior’

http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2013/05/29/one-good-reason-to-read-scientology-warrior/

Sorry, Marty, no. "Rattling both ends of the extreme" is most assuredly not an "indicia of hitting the sweet spot." Increasingly in these modern times, it reflects the epistemologically and ethically relativistic view that truth and justice are a matter of compromise. That to be "fair and balanced" is to give equal credence to (as opposed to being willing to listen to and confront) both sides -- even if one side is verifiably and demonstrably evil, and/or verifiably and demonstrably false.

The simple truth is that one side may attack you because what you say is verifiably and demonstrably false, and/or supportive (even if unintentionally) of evil. The other side may attack you because what you say is insufficiently false and/ or supportive of evil.

Taking the "middle path" between truth and virtue, on the one hand, and falsehood and evil, on the other hand, is itself no virtue. It is, at best, a lesser form of evil and falsehood. It is, at worst, something that camouflages evil and falsehood, or makes them appear more palatable,

Your supposed "great middle path" has nothing to do with the Great Middle Path of Buddhism. To appropriate that term in support of a compromise between truth and falsehood, between virtue and evil, is insulting. This is perhaps not surprising given the Scientology and cult tactic of redefining words and terms.

To put it plainly and to risk invoking Goodwin's law, one could not properly take the "great middle path" between the Nazis and German Jews in World War II. And one very much doubts Buddhists take a "great middle path" between China and their persecuted Tibetan Buddhist brethren. The Buddhists I've known did and do not take a "great middle path" between victims and their oppressors.

So, Marty, no.

10. Infinite

Infinite Crusader

"

Anyone got any DOX on Farsec? Apart from an interestingly timed edit at Wikipedia, I cannot find any reference to Farsec other than those which link back to Marty. Surely this chapter of Scientology Space Opera has a more reliable basis?

11. I've never heard Hubbard mention before it must be the imaginary planet where Hubbard's imaginary Maw Confederation of the Sixty-third Galaxy supposedly came from.

This document is overflowing with batshit crazy

http://www.matrixfiles.com/Scientol...2 ABERRATION AND THE SIXTH DYNAMIC 131156.doc

"But now, if you really want to make one worse, I'm afraid that you have to go in for mechanical assists. I think you do. I think it takes a mechanical assist like a fist, or it takes[...] Well, I'll tell you the best one I know; how's that? The best one I know is to take a sheet of glass and put it in front of the preclear -- clear, very clear glass -- which is supercooled, preferably about a -100 centigrade. You got that? Supercooled, you know? And then put the preclear right in front of this supercooled sheet of glass and suddenly shove his face into the glass. Now, that's pretty good. I mean, that was developed about five billion years ago by a whole-track psychiatrist.​

"The mechanism of brainwashing which I gave you, with supercold mechanisms and so forth, is very well known, was used very extensively in the Maw Confederation of the Sixty-third Galaxy. They had a total psychiatric control of all of their officers and executives, and when they got tired of them they used this specific method of brainwashing."

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  12. Sure Hubbard's version of batshit crazy always brings the lulz, but the one thing I got a really good laugh from, was how desperately Marty is trying to paint a vision of him working directly for Hubbard ... not that working with to for Hubbard is something to brag about

Marty lets make no mistake about it,

The only way you got anywhere in the cult was by kissing Miscavige's ass.

From the day you entered the cult, until the time Miscavige kicked you to the curb,
    you were never anything other than one of Miscavige's Coffee Bitches.

This fact is not going to change no matter how many attempts you try to change it.

13. BunnySkull

I read that outloud to a former SO CMO member and was surprised they said they new all about it and didn't think it was particular secret. They actually mentioned where it came from - but Ill have to ask because HCO bulletins and all that shit just melts together in my mind as puffy names for BS.

He even expanded on the story of Farsec saying it happened after Xenu, and ends with a Matrix like story that are "real bodies/thetans" are kept somewhere and we are just doll bodies on a prison planet. Since LRH was ready to electrocute himself to kill all his BTs I have no problem believing he was spewing totally insane crap like this.

Ill get more details on where he read it if someone else doesn't answer before I return.

14. Veda

Veda Sponsor

...and so forth...

The above is from 1956.

This is from 1938:

I have high hopes of smashing my name
    into history so violently that it will take a
    legendary form even if all the books are
    destroyed. That goal is the real goal as far as
    I am concerned. Things which stand too
    consistently in my way make me nervous.
    It's a pretty big job. In a hundred years
    Roosevelt will have been forgotten - which
    gives some idea of the magnitude of my
    attempt. And all this boils and froths inside
    my head

Psychiatrists, reaching the high of the
    dusty desk, tell us that Alexander, Genghis
    Khan and Napoleon were madmen. I know
    they're maligning some very intelligent
    gentlemen

__________​

In 1966, Hubbard announced his confidential plan - called 'Project Psychiatry':

This is Project Psychiatry. We will remove them.

http://www.xenu.net/archive/go/projpsyc/projpsyc.htm

__________​

In LRH Executive letter of 24 November 1968, Hubbard asserted his plan to take over both "mental healing" and "political guidance." The implication is that, since, according to Hubbard, psychiatrists, essentially, run the world, by taking over psychiatry one becomes the new boss of the world:

We're going to take over the field of mental hospitals and political guidance and the whole field of mental healing

_________​

From an early edition of Freedom Magazine:
    [​IMG]
    "Learn enemy tactics and use... them." Confidential 'Targets, Defense', 1969

_________​

Then, from 'Confidential Intelligence Actions - Covert Intelligence Data Collection' of 2 December 1969:

Our total victory will come when we run his organizations, perform his functions, and obtain his financing and appropriations

__________​

Here are some excerpts from the 1976 edition of the 'Red Volumes'. It's an HCOB from January 1974. Quoted material in red.

THE TECHNICAL BREAKTHROUGH OF 1973!
    THE INTROSPECTION RD

I have made a technical breakthrough which possibly ranks with the major discoveries of the twentieth century. It is certainly the greatest achievement of 1973 and is now being released after a final write-up of the research. It is called the Introspection Rundown.

THIS MEANS THE LAST REASON TO HAVE PSYCHIATRY AROUND IS GONE.

[Then there are the steps of the RD, and the HCOB ends with...]

THIS PLANET IS OURS.

15. In present time

In present time Gold Meritorious Patron

yeah, little davey just needed someone dumb enough to take the bullets for him.

16. Boson Wog Stark

Boson Wog Stark Patron Meritorious

I was struck by the same passage. How many people were at La Quinta? And Marty was there how long at the same time Hubbard was there, and didn't even meet him? Why? I mean why, even in Marty's mind, did he not get to meet Hubbard?

In part, it explains a tiny bit of what Miscavige could hold over Marty, because Marty never even met his Holiness the Source. The best he could do was hope for a gentle breeze where he might stand downwind and inhale some of his cigarette smoke, while hearing his Master's Voice?

I knew that Marty never met Hubbard but I always thought it was because he was stationed elsewhere or that Hubbard was in hiding.

17. Boomima

Boomima Patron with Honors

This sort of made me sad. I still don't forgive Marty for being unwilling to say that he's sorry but there something ...desperate about this.

18. Vittorio

Vittorio Patron Meritorious

The following two quote's may seem integral to Marty's current state of mind.

19. Gib

Gib Crusader

Well why didn't hubbard tell us that from the beginning.

Jeez, when I read dianetics back in 1986, all I wanted at the time was to get a few hang-ups handled as I read the source was engrams, and I bought into the god damn "clear" concept. I knew who I was you might say, I was just me. I wasn't looking for that answer nor did I have that question. I just thought if my engrams were cleared I could do more and achieve my goals.
    Before you know it, as I look back, I got sweep up into the the god damn religion and philosophy of it all. :wtf: