What's new

Paul Haggis: Rathbun does what I feared, and outs ex-Scientologist we vowed to keep secret

RSS Feed

RSS Feeder Bot
There is a new post up at the Underground Bunker

Paul Haggis: Rathbun does what I feared, and outs ex-Scientologist we vowed to keep secret

[Paul Haggis and Marty Rathbun]

We heard from a lot of readers who were impressed by the candor and class exhibited by Oscar-winning director Paul Haggis in a piece he wrote for us that we published on Saturday.

In that piece, Haggis, who appeared last week in an explosive episode of A&E’s Leah Remini: [...]

[Paul Haggis and Marty[.......]

Continue reading...

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
Iyiyi, it gets worse. I hadn't bothered to go to Rathbun's blog so I never saw the email in question. But there it is.

There is not a shred of honour left in Rathbun's body.

“I truly don’t understand how Marty can rationalize this betrayal,” Haggis says. “He personally swore to this person he would never reveal his identity, as did Jason and I. This is a sweet man who never went public and was afraid what would happen if he did, but he wanted to help by personally sharing the story of his harrowing escape from Scientology, one that quite literally left him scarred, with a gash on his face from the barbed wire he was forced to drive through. His story had a great impact on me, and I thought Marty. A year after confiding in us, he suffered a debilitating stroke. He and I remained in contact throughout his hospitalization and recovery. He lost his job and his marriage dissolved, and when he moved several years later I lost contact with him as well. The only thing this person ever asked of us was anonymity. Have a good sleep, Marty.” - Paul Haggis

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
Every ex-scientologist who has communicated directly with Marty over the last few years must now know that details of their conversations are in the hands of the CofS.

Fortunately for me I never liked him enough to communicate with him.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Every ex-scientologist who has communicated directly with Marty over the last few years must now know that details of their conversations are in the hands of the CofS.

I had one email exchange with him back in 2009, just thanking him for his contributions to the 'Truth Rundown' series as published in the SP Times (now known as the Tampa Bay Times). He responded, asking me for MY story, but somehow I never felt comfortable sharing it with him.

Last edited:

Wilbur

Patron Meritorious

Yes. I also never had a good feeling about him, and didn't feel the urge to communicate with him. There was a time when I'd have been fascinated at the prospect of talking to someone from R-----T------C or INT MANAGEMENT. Or especially with a Class XII or someone who had trained under Ron. But that was at a time when I was still wondering whether it was just that Ron: Good and Int Management: Bad. When the scales start to drop from your eyes, then these SO members in high positions don't seem as interesting as they used to. When I left the church and wrote to Jon Atack, I had such a feeling of excitement-cum-fear that I was writing to the (then) top SP in the UK. Now, that kind of feeling wouldn't afflict me.

To be honest, I was never all that impressed with the managerial executive types in Scientology. I remember meeting one or two of the Int Execs at St. Hill (Training Exec Int and another one, I think it was). He just struck me as a sleep-deprived person under intense pressure, making silly unrealistic demands. I certainly didn't get any impression of some superior enlightened being in front of me. I don't regard any of the layer above Int (the Marty's, Mike Rinders, Tommy Davises, etc) as being any different. Just (when they were in) sleep deprived people under intense pressure.

To be honest, if LRH himself wanted to meet me now, whether I could be bothered would depend heavily on my diary, and on how far I'd have to travel to meet him. I guess that means I have gained a fair amount of perspective on the subject of Scientology since I left.

W.

Gib

Crusader
Yes. I also never had a good feeling about him, and didn't feel the urge to communicate with him. There was a time when I'd have been fascinated at the prospect of talking to someone from R-----T------C or INT MANAGEMENT. Or especially with a Class XII or someone who had trained under Ron. But that was at a time when I was still wondering whether it was just that Ron: Good and Int Management: Bad. When the scales start to drop from your eyes, then these SO members in high positions don't seem as interesting as they used to. When I left the church and wrote to Jon Atack, I had such a feeling of excitement-cum-fear that I was writing to the (then) top SP in the UK. Now, that kind of feeling wouldn't afflict me.

To be honest, I was never all that impressed with the managerial executive types in Scientology. I remember meeting one or two of the Int Execs at St. Hill (Training Exec Int and another one, I think it was). He just struck me as a sleep-deprived person under intense pressure, making silly unrealistic demands. I certainly didn't get any impression of some superior enlightened being in front of me. I don't regard any of the layer above Int (the Marty's, Mike Rinders, Tommy Davises, etc) as being any different. Just (when they were in) sleep deprived people under intense pressure.

To be honest, if LRH himself wanted to meet me now, whether I could be bothered would depend heavily on my diary, and on how far I'd have to travel to meet him. I guess that means I have gained a fair amount of perspective on the subject of Scientology since I left.

W.
"To be honest, if LRH himself wanted to meet me now, whether I could be bothered would depend heavily on my diary, and on how far I'd have to travel to meet him. I guess that means I have gained a fair amount of perspective on the subject of Scientology since I left."

For me, to be honest if LRH ever wanted to meet me now, and let's say we meet, I'd slap his face and say show me a clear and a OT you muther fucker.

It's quite interesting in that Face mentioned in one of his/her posts that Hubbard never did face time with notables although the notables wanted to have face time. Same could be said of DM and his COS.

I mean the media always asks for a rebutable, and even Tony O saying he asked Marty if so and so is is true, and yet there is no reply back to set the record straight.

LOL, what a con the whole dianetics, scientology and COS has been.

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
I had one email exchange with him back in 2009, just thanking him for his contributions to the 'Truth Rundown' series as published in the SP Times (now known as the Tampa Bay Times). He responded, asking me for MY story, but somehow I never felt comfortable sharing it with him.

I was warned about Marty early on so I never communicated with him. I really wanted to, because I felt grateful that he and Steve Hall, back in 2007, kept me from getting all-in. That's all there really was back then and I made the connection between Marty's alias on Hall's website and Marty around the time of the Truth Rundown. His downfall has been sad for me to watch.

Then there's part of me that wonders how well a GoPro would mount on a baseball cap embroidered with the A&E logo.