What's new

Propaganda by Reversal of Meaning in Scientology

mockingbird

Silver Meritorious Patron
Well Wildcat I will likely keep posting here in particular as it reaches a lot of folks who are in need right now . Independents and freezoners and lurkers read the posts here . I want THEM to get this info . And often when writing a post realize that to express a basic concept I need to reveal the research and supporting evidence for a claim or it will not be comprehensive enough for everyone . If a conclusion at the end of in depth investigation is presented but it is very , very far from the info a lurker likely already has - they just reject it .

I went through this as I rejected Lermanet.com's stuff and the affirmations as I had no proper context to move from believing in Hubbard and his "technology" to thinking these things could even be true - they came across as too extreme .

After looking at other sites like the Underground Bunker and Tory Magoo's videos I eventually came around and came back to the stuff I first rejected and eventually realized much of Arnie Lerma's stuff is quite good and informative regarding hypnotism and the fraud in Scientology . And the affirmations now in my opinion are the Rosetta Stone - they are essential to understand Hubbard and all of Scientology.

So from that I try to construct posts in a form that informs all the way from a point of view of " How can I be as inclusive as possible for all the audience including Scientologists and lurkers who are in doubt about any criticism of Hubbard ? " So , some posts irritate long time exes as they feel I go over basic ideas they already accept too much . Congratulations if you already found these things out - some of this info is for others so be happy you already know. And if you already know the parts you do looking at the other stuff I present can be easier for you .

And if someone honestly is sure they know everything I present already they are not obligated to read my posts at all .

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
Well Wildcat I will likely keep posting here in particular as it reaches a lot of folks who are in need right now . Independents and freezoners and lurkers read the posts here . I want THEM to get this info . And often when writing a post realize that to express a basic concept I need to reveal the research and supporting evidence for a claim or it will not be comprehensive enough for everyone . If a conclusion at the end of in depth investigation is presented but it is very , very far from the info a lurker likely already has - they just reject it .

I went through this as I rejected Lermanet.com's stuff and the affirmations as I had no proper context to move from believing in Hubbard and his "technology" to thinking these things could even be true - they came across as too extreme .

After looking at other sites like the Underground Bunker and Tory Magoo's videos I eventually came around and came back to the stuff I first rejected and eventually realized much of Arnie Lerma's stuff is quite good and informative regarding hypnotism and the fraud in Scientology . And the affirmations now in my opinion are the Rosetta Stone - they are essential to understand Hubbard and all of Scientology.

So from that I try to construct posts in a form that informs all the way from a point of view of " How can I be as inclusive as possible for all the audience including Scientologists and lurkers who are in doubt about any criticism of Hubbard ? " So , some posts irritate long time exes as they feel I go over basic ideas they already accept too much . Congratulations if you already found these things out - some of this info is for others so be happy you already know. And if you already know the parts you do looking at the other stuff I present can be easier for you .

And if someone honestly is sure they know everything I present already they are not obligated to read my posts at all .

Well I do admire your stamina, keep on keeping on! I am sure you are reaching some of the lurkers. I have to admit when I was new to the board, I would spend much more time reading than I do now. And thank you for your direct response. That counts for something.

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thank you, Mockingbird, for linking to this quote:

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this:

If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle.

We're no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us.

It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves.

Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back."

Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science
as a Candle in the Dark.

uniquemand

Unbeliever
Agreed. When MB writes and publishes a book (or books more likely!) geared to scholars of cults and philosophy, it will be appreciated. He's very thorough, his ideas appear to be well-researched and sound.

But it's too much for a Message/Discussion Board...just makes us all tired.

I stopped writing a lot of posts here because of comments like this. If you aren't interested in Mockingbird's posts, don't read them. That doesn't mean you speak for me or the rest of ESMB's members, many of whom do appreciate well-thought positions given good exposition. It's sad if this message board has been reduced to Twitter.

mockingbird

Silver Meritorious Patron
Wildcat , what I write is NOT for scholars !!! It is for exes and Scientologists .

I want to share my views but far more importantly encourage others to consider the ideas I express and independently study the subjects and form their own opinions free from Hubbard's persuasion and influence . His methods encourage not just blind submissive obedience as a slave but for many long after leaving the main cult a kind of abandonment of deep considered study and examination of ANYTHING . Many exes never seriously study any thing but want recovery and a richer intellectual life . By failing to apply their minds and challenge themselves they can keep themselves in a state of intellectual near death or death - which Hubbard demanded . I cannot tell you how many Scientologists I have met who said "Why would anyone read anything that is not by Hubbard ?"

That attitude carries forward when they leave the cult and confusedly stop reading Hubbard - not sure what he did or how - and then they still refuse to read anything with depth and of a challenging nature after that . They want recovery, but frankly a wikipedia article or a post on twitter do not have the info to completely explain Scientology and how to recover . It is impossibe . People are often accepting answers of less than perfect breadth , precision , relevance and other standards of critical thinking as simply not being lied to as they are in Scientology is a tremendous improvement . But more is needed to take apart the con comprehensively and undo as much of the damage as possible . Frankly often "experts" state ideas and talk to the media in ways that help the cult hide the truth and leave victims with unsatisfactory answers .

Last edited:

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
I stopped writing a lot of posts here because of comments like this. If you aren't interested in Mockingbird's posts, don't read them. That doesn't mean you speak for me or the rest of ESMB's members, many of whom do appreciate well-thought positions given good exposition. It's sad if this message board has been reduced to Twitter.

Fair enough. I know I don't speak for all here on this board.