What's new

Purif and Niacin

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
I would not be surprised, follow the thread on "effed up by the purif, damaged goods. Gosh, I cannot imagine being on the purif for 9 months, I was on it 29 days, and it damaged everything, I am a shell of the person I was previously.

There's a reason niacin is not now mainstream treatment for hypercholesterolemia, and it's precisely those side effects, especially the liver tox and the cardiac arrhythmias.

Statins carry a fair amount of liver tox themselves, the worst being Crestor, but not as bad as high dose niacin. I wrote here about therapeutic index, and niacin has a TI of 1 - 1.5 when used for cholesterol lowering, because the side effects kick in right about the time cholesterol starts to be significantly affected.

Terril park

Sponsor
There's a reason niacin is not now mainstream treatment for hypercholesterolemia, and it's precisely those side effects, especially the liver tox and the cardiac arrhythmias.

Statins carry a fair amount of liver tox themselves, the worst being Crestor, but not as bad as high dose niacin. I wrote here about therapeutic index, and niacin has a TI of 1 - 1.5 when used for cholesterol lowering, because the side effects kick in right about the time cholesterol starts to be significantly affected.

That post was very interesting and contained data hard to
know of existence and hard to find.

I have to annually see the diabetic nurse at my doctors
surgery. I won't take statins. She, a diabetic also, dosn't
take statins. She told me one of her patients was crippled
by taking statins. Apparently I'm one of the 2% of people
not on statins who have very low cholesteral levels.

In the UK it seems anyone over 50 gets prescribed statins.