What's new

Riverside Mission

HCObringOrder?

Silver Meritorious Patron
Jerry Langenfeld.
One of the original Comm Course Sups when I started.
Any ideas on what their business name was?

HCObringOrder?

Sterling Management Systems?

Interesting that Jerry has changed his name from when he was in Riverside.
Perhaps because he was one of the members of the Credit Union and a Div 2 Reg at one time.
I think he was a Board Member of the CU, as I recall.

Here is his more recent completions.
At least he is still married to MaryAnn.
http://www.truthaboutscientology.com/stats/by-name/g/gerold-langenfeld.html
Maryann was one of the Comm Course Sups when I started, and I think that is where they married.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Bob Parcell once told me about the time that he was just not having a good time doing dissemination (to say the least) and Frank Walker took him thru a casual visit thru the Riverside downtown museum just to "destimulate".

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Two more people to add to that list:

Bobby Mongello deputy ED
Joanie Mongello wife of Bobby and former Comm Course sup (with Jim Hamre) before the big move to the former YMCA building

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Jerry once told me about his car trip to move to the West Coast. Before SCN he was interested in Zen Buddhism (we talked briefly about Koans once). That's what he told me. Then he met up with Scientology... and "the rest is history".

HCObringOrder?

Two more people to add to that list:

Bobby Mongello deputy ED
Joanie Mongello wife of Bobby and former Comm Course sup (with Jim Hamre) before the big move to the former YMCA building

Bobby and Joanie left before the time of that list.
He went to Hawaii Mission for a while as the ED I think.

Bobby had been the Deputy ED for so long.
I saw him as a 2 faced weasel because he would use his smile and "charm" as a method to lure you into false security and then slash you with whatever punishment he had predetermined.
He was into turning houses for his money, besides his Div 2 Reg activities.
I was taken to one of his houses while on amends to dig out his new pool one day by myself.
I did not get much production done and was not taken back there again.

I think Joanie had been an auditor (Class V?) for a while when she left with Bobby.
One rumor before the move was that Bent blamed Bobby for the failure of the Credit Union.
I think that Bobby was about to get hit with a suppoena about the CU and the Mission's involvement, so Bobby was given a plane ticket.

Bill Butler stepped in as the Deupty ED.

Then things got hot an heavy for a while.

Last edited:

HCObringOrder?

Jerry once told me about his car trip to move to the West Coast. Before SCN he was interested in Zen Buddhism (we talked briefly about Koans once). That's what he told me. Then he met up with Scientology... and "the rest is history".

Sometimes you talk about the Devil and guess what?

Here is the Advance Completions hot off the forum..

Advance Mag Completions post

Suprise suprise, Mary Ann is on the list.
She is getting onto OT after 35 years!!
Or maybe it is a re-tread?

How time flies when you are living life.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Jerry had a close friend who was also in his car trip to the West Coast (I forget his name). Jerry's friend took the place of Bob Parcel as keyboard player in our music band - and I never knew why this happened until recently.

Also, (given the responses on this thread) I have re-evaluated my opinion about Bent. It's both good (after his SCN involvement) and bad (during his SCN involvement).

Local News Coverage of INT Base

Nice short article came out yesterday in the Inland Empire Weekly, a free newspaper with distribution of about 30,000:

IEWeeklyArticle1.gif

Good article...

Here's the online version of the paper:

http://www.ieweekly.com/cms/story/detail/ie_weekly_virtual_paper/995/

Last edited:

goodlonglife

Riverside Mission('72-'73),but new here

My husband was in the Air Force back then,and was stationed at March AFB about 3 miles south of Sunnymead.At least I think it was March,he was at several,can't keep 'em all straight.About a year after we got there,a Base doctor took me off of an asthma medication I'd been on for years.He didn't tell me that a main ingredient was phenobarbital,and when I started going through withdrawal I literally thought I was going insane. That's when I ran into a Scientologist on the U of C campus. My system worked it's way through,but of course I thought it was Scientology that was getting my head straight.In the beginning I loved it.We didn't have a car,so somebody from the Mission would often come out to Sunnymead and pick me up- occasionally Rick Ansert would come out to get me on a little motorcycle.A lot of times I just hitch-hiked.Took (and paid for) the Com Course,and then did whatever might have needed to be done around the Mission.At that time we were in an OLD three story white frame house near the expressway.I don't know if that was the main building at the time,but we didn't see much of Bent so maybe it was just an extension.I brought my husband into it,though he didn't care much one way or the other.He and Paul Ney were stationed together and were friends,and I had become friends with Sue,so we talked them into taking the Com Course.To this day I feel guilty about hooking her up with that place,though I suppose she may feel differently.Some people at the Mission showed us how to get loans (based on my non-existent job and using my non-existent car as collateral!),and I went to L.A. with a group to take some courses.When we got back there was some kind of problem with a married couple.She was leaving their children alone and unfed every day while she was involved with the Mission,and when one of them got sick she made a lot of noise about them being nothing but a bunch of S.P.'s. Her husband tried to get her to take care of them but the mission closed ranks around her.I felt like I was in the twilight zone.I offered to go make lunch for them during the days I was in Riverside,but I was told to mind my own business and vague 'ethics' threats were made.I walked out and never went back.After repeated attempts and threats to try to get me to come back,they told my husband he would have to either divorce me or leave.He told them he needed a few days to decide,then got his hands on every contract he could find that had our names on it(filing was one of his jobs).People came by nearly every day for several weeks trying to intimidate us into coming back,but we never saw Sue or Paul again after that.Years later I did get several letters from her.The letters were friendly and upbeat,but those were crazy,crazy days where Scientology was concerned (yeah,I know- they still are!)We had moved back to Illinois,and between apartments and houses we'd had changed addresses several times.It wasn't all that easy to track some one down in those days,so I definitely became paranoid when I realised she was still in Scientology. I never responded to her letters.Still,I hope they're both well and happy wherever they are. I'd heard that Paul got out a long time ago,but I don't know about Sue.Well,I guess this book is about long enough!

HCObringOrder?

My husband was in the Air Force back then,and was stationed at March AFB about 3 miles south of Sunnymead.At least I think it was March,he was at several,can't keep 'em all straight.About a year after we got there,a Base doctor took me off of an asthma medication I'd been on for years.He didn't tell me that a main ingredient was phenobarbital,and when I started going through withdrawal I literally thought I was going insane. That's when I ran into a Scientologist on the U of C campus. My system worked it's way through,but of course I thought it was Scientology that was getting my head straight.In the beginning I loved it.We didn't have a car,so somebody from the Mission would often come out to Sunnymead and pick me up- occasionally Rick Ansert would come out to get me on a little motorcycle.A lot of times I just hitch-hiked.Took (and paid for) the Com Course,and then did whatever might have needed to be done around the Mission.At that time we were in an OLD three story white frame house near the expressway.I don't know if that was the main building at the time,but we didn't see much of Bent so maybe it was just an extension.I brought my husband into it,though he didn't care much one way or the other.He and Paul Ney were stationed together and were friends,and I had become friends with Sue,so we talked them into taking the Com Course.To this day I feel guilty about hooking her up with that place,though I suppose she may feel differently.Some people at the Mission showed us how to get loans (based on my non-existent job and using my non-existent car as collateral!),and I went to L.A. with a group to take some courses.When we got back there was some kind of problem with a married couple.She was leaving their children alone and unfed every day while she was involved with the Mission,and when one of them got sick she made a lot of noise about them being nothing but a bunch of S.P.'s. Her husband tried to get her to take care of them but the mission closed ranks around her.I felt like I was in the twilight zone.I offered to go make lunch for them during the days I was in Riverside,but I was told to mind my own business and vague 'ethics' threats were made.I walked out and never went back.After repeated attempts and threats to try to get me to come back,they told my husband he would have to either divorce me or leave.He told them he needed a few days to decide,then got his hands on every contract he could find that had our names on it(filing was one of his jobs).People came by nearly every day for several weeks trying to intimidate us into coming back,but we never saw Sue or Paul again after that.Years later I did get several letters from her.The letters were friendly and upbeat,but those were crazy,crazy days where Scientology was concerned (yeah,I know- they still are!)We had moved back to Illinois,and between apartments and houses we'd had changed addresses several times.It wasn't all that easy to track some one down in those days,so I definitely became paranoid when I realised she was still in Scientology. I never responded to her letters.Still,I hope they're both well and happy wherever they are. I'd heard that Paul got out a long time ago,but I don't know about Sue.Well,I guess this book is about long enough!

Welcome.
The last I heard about Sue (she was such a wonderful person and I had a crush on her while at Riverside) was when I talked to Bent about 6 years ago.
I do not remember the conversation at the time, other than he was sad about her then current life.
Maybe Sweetness can ask if he has heard from her.
I also wonder about Barney Ammons who married Sue after she divorced Paul.
If you know Sue's maiden name, you could also search the course completions lists for that name.

goodlonglife

I can't remember her maiden name,but for some reason I remember that her parents lived in Costa Mesa back then.I think she grew up there.She definitely was the sweetest,kindest,most gentle person I've ever known- hence my regret over introducing her to that whole mess.The four of us used to hang out together a lot,but after we all got into Scientology everyone was too busy to get together much.Don't know why I can't remember her maiden name,I'll have to ask my ex if he remembers it.

goodlonglife

Sue Ammons' maiden name

Now I'm confused. I had thought her maiden name was Ammons,but when I read that she'd married some one by that name I thought I must have been mistaken. But my ex says that yes,her maiden name was Ammons. I'm pretty sure it was. When I remarried,I kept my maiden name. Additionally,I had to talk my husband out of taking MY name (his last name was also a common women's first name,was very 'girly' and he'd hated it). I wonder if something along those lines might have happened? Wouldn't that be an odd coincidence?

HCObringOrder?

Then maybe it is I who is confused that they were married.
Maybe Barnie is her brother??
Wow, what 30 some odd years will do to the memory.
My lazy file clerk must be using BTs for slaves.

Maybe Bent can remember.
See the list of staff above for other names if you would like.

Yes, it was March Air Base

My husband was in the Air Force back then,and was stationed at March AFB about 3 miles south of Sunnymead.At least I think it was March,he was at several,can't keep 'em all straight.About a year after we got there,a Base doctor took me off of an asthma medication I'd been on for years.He didn't tell me that a main ingredient was phenobarbital,and when I started going through withdrawal I literally thought I was going insane. That's when I ran into a Scientologist on the U of C campus. My system worked it's way through,but of course I thought it was Scientology that was getting my head straight.In the beginning I loved it.We didn't have a car,so somebody from the Mission would often come out to Sunnymead and pick me up- occasionally Rick Ansert would come out to get me on a little motorcycle.A lot of times I just hitch-hiked.Took (and paid for) the Com Course,and then did whatever might have needed to be done around the Mission.At that time we were in an OLD three story white frame house near the expressway.I don't know if that was the main building at the time,but we didn't see much of Bent so maybe it was just an extension.I brought my husband into it,though he didn't care much one way or the other.He and Paul Ney were stationed together and were friends,and I had become friends with Sue,so we talked them into taking the Com Course.To this day I feel guilty about hooking her up with that place,though I suppose she may feel differently.Some people at the Mission showed us how to get loans (based on my non-existent job and using my non-existent car as collateral!),and I went to L.A. with a group to take some courses.When we got back there was some kind of problem with a married couple.She was leaving their children alone and unfed every day while she was involved with the Mission,and when one of them got sick she made a lot of noise about them being nothing but a bunch of S.P.'s. Her husband tried to get her to take care of them but the mission closed ranks around her.I felt like I was in the twilight zone.I offered to go make lunch for them during the days I was in Riverside,but I was told to mind my own business and vague 'ethics' threats were made.I walked out and never went back.After repeated attempts and threats to try to get me to come back,they told my husband he would have to either divorce me or leave.He told them he needed a few days to decide,then got his hands on every contract he could find that had our names on it(filing was one of his jobs).People came by nearly every day for several weeks trying to intimidate us into coming back,but we never saw Sue or Paul again after that.Years later I did get several letters from her.The letters were friendly and upbeat,but those were crazy,crazy days where Scientology was concerned (yeah,I know- they still are!)We had moved back to Illinois,and between apartments and houses we'd had changed addresses several times.It wasn't all that easy to track some one down in those days,so I definitely became paranoid when I realised she was still in Scientology. I never responded to her letters.Still,I hope they're both well and happy wherever they are. I'd heard that Paul got out a long time ago,but I don't know about Sue. Well,I guess this book is about long enough!

Hello Goodie! :) Welcome aboard! Ah, it sounds like Scientology life as normal...:duh: :ohmy: :melodramatic:

I'm so glad that you are out and found us here! Very intelligent of your Hubby to get your files out! Very pro-survival! :) Yes, I'll ask Bent about Sue, and she might be here or be reading this...we do have a WHOLE lot of lurkers, you know!
:coolwink:

Happy Spring shout out to the lurkers! :D Once you've found your freedom, you'll never go back! :happydance:

I think what you are remembering as the big old white house was the original Mission building in RIverside...before Bent and pal found the old "Y" building downtown, purchased and began rehabbing it. Check out the pictures of how the lovely 100 year old historic Life Arts Building looks today, it's home to art studios and galleries, gift shops, hosts weddings, parties, concerts, dance recitals, fashion shows, comedy nights, fundraisers and colorful community celebrations like Dia De Los Muertos, community activism meetings, etc. That joint is jumpin! :D Jam packed and fun-filled, and brimming with creativity and theta! :happydance:

(I still think there are a few ghosts trailing around late at night!) :D

Last edited:

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Any More Riverside Mission folks?
Or Hawaii Mission folks?

I isa Bumpin...

Why was Bent sad about Sue?

I didn't know her that well but I knew Paul a bit as fellow musicians.
(Sue really avoided any course room study as much as she could. She had a lot of trouble in reading. But she was a sweetheart in personality.)