Scientology did not violate forced labor law, appeals court rules

Discussion in 'Legal and Government Actions Involving Scientology' started by Smilla, Jul 24, 2012.

View Users: View Users
  1. Smilla

Smilla Ordinary Human

Scientology did not violate a labor law by failing to pay for the work of two former members of the church’s Sea Organization -- a wing that restricts participants’ outside communications, marriage and children, censors mail and monitors phone calls -- a federal appeals court said Tuesday.

A three-judge panel of the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals decided that Marc and Claire Headley, who sued the church, knew that joining the group, known as Sea Org, required largely unpaid labor and failed to take many opportunities to leave.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/07/scientology-federal-appeals-court.html

2. Smilla

Smilla Ordinary Human

More on this:

Church of Scientology Dodges Forced Labor Suit Over Sea Org

(CN) - Two former Scientologists who worked 100-hour weeks for a pittance, foregoing family life and following behavioral codes, cannot advance forced-labor claims, the 9th Circuit ruled Tuesday.

Marc and Claire Headley met and married in the 1990s within Sea Org, an elite and evangelical Scientology religious order. Both had grown up in Scientology and opted to make the "symbolic one-billion-year commitment" required of Sea Org ministers. For nearly two decades, the couple lived the "demanding ascetic life" typical of Sea Org.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/07/24/48662.htm

3. Smilla

Smilla Ordinary Human

Court In SF Dismisses Lawsuit Against Church Of Scientology

Two former ministers of the Church of Scientology lost a bid to a federal appeals court in San Francisco today to sue the church for allegedly coercing them to provide forced labor.

A three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals dismissed a pair of lawsuits filed three years ago in federal court in Los Angeles by Marc and Claire Headley.

http://sfappeal.com/news/2012/07/court-in-sf-dismisses-lawsuit-against-church-of-scientology.php

4. Idle Morgue

Idle Morgue Gold Meritorious Patron

I did not expect them to win. The Cult is very clever - they promote - LONG HOURS! NO PAY!! JOIN THE ELITE! JOIN the SEA MORGUE! BE AN AUDITOAD!

The Cult has thought of it all - sign legal papers to do one of their Life Improvement courses - WTF? What kind of church does this and what was I thinking to sign it?:duh:

5. Purple Rain

Purple Rain Crusader

You've got to love that "religious exception" which justifies all these delightful spiritual practices, such as coercing people to clean human excrement out of ponds.

Hopefully most people, becoming aware of the true nature of these "religious" practices, will decide they would rather get a real job than waste their precious time on earth as an unpaid and ill-treated workforce for these so-called people.

I might choose working for them again over a lobotomy, jumping off a cliff, drinking cyanide, having my right arm cut off or something of that nature. Then again I might not.

6. Lulu Belle

Lulu Belle Moonbat

More fabulous PR for COS. :biggrin:

These days, even when they win, they lose.

7. AnonyMary

AnonyMary Formerly Fooled - Finally Free

I thank the Headleys and all their attorneys from the bottom of my heart for persevering and getting this case onto the court records. It may not be what we wanted but what we got makes the church and the sea org look terrible and opens up a whole new can of worms on 'freedom of religion' for the courts. Hope it goes to the US Supreme court next but I'll settle for now with the atrocities being on record and posted in the news.

The complaints and decisions should be required reading for all org staff and public newbies before they are snatched up by the Sea Org.

8. Free to shine

Free to shine Shiny & Free

The Village Voice has a good discussion of this, including a copy of the entire decision.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/07/scientology_win_2.php

I loe seeing pics of Marc and Claire's family on FB. They survived, they escaped and now they have all the love in the world. Thankyou Headleys.

9. GoNuclear

GoNuclear Gold Meritorious Patron

That ruling is absolutely disgusting, considering the ages of both Mark and his wife when they joined up, considering their family backgrounds, and considering that the Cof$ didn't just hire them but "employed" them and then asked for a waiver against minimum wage for religious reasons. Furthermore, I don't buy for a minute that the court system hasn't been politicized these days, which it really shouldn't be. So what this ruling tells me is that keeping the Cof$ going is seen to be in the best interests of the the govt. or those pulling the strings of govt. while hiding out in the shadows.

All things considered, the way that the Cof$ is drying out, turning brown, shriveling up, and just plain dying with a virtual zero in terms of new starts walking in the door ... what could the reason be? The longer the Cof$ fades away, the less valuable they are as an intel asset, as per the Wollersheim hypothesis. So what does that leave? The only thing I can think of is that they are, potentially at least, THE poster boy for calling for a clamp down on religious freedom. They can only provide one final service for their masters, if their masters are govt. intel services ... and that is to go out with a really hideous mass suicide/masacre such that people will beg for laws that restrict their religious freedom, and by extension, all the other rights guaranteed under the first ammendment.

If anyone else can see any other angle as to why this ruling would be in line with what the govt. might want, I'd sure like to see it brought up.

Pete

10. Dave B.

Dave B. Maximus Ultimus Mostimus

Ninth "Circus". It figures. That labor law is the card that if pulled will pull down the entire rickety structure of the cult.

11. Karen#1

Karen#1 Gold Meritorious Patron

The former Sea Org members Marc and Claire grew up in Scientology and joined the elite religious order while in their teens, Marc in 1989 and Claire in 1991. They married in 1992 and remained with the group until 2005. Marc and Claire were 2nd generation Scientologists before they fled INT Base

These words now on record as voiced by Federal Judge

“In keeping with church disciplinary policy, the church censored the Headleys’ mail, monitored their phone calls, and required them to obtain permission to access the Internet,” Judge Diarmuid F. O’Scannlain, an appointee of former President Reagan, wrote for the court. Marc and hundreds of others had to hand clean human excrement from an aeration pond in 2004, and Claire had to subsist on protein bars and water for six to eight months in 2002, O’Scannlain wrote. But the court said the evidence overwhelmingly showed that the Headleys voluntarily worked for the Sea Org “because they believed that it was the right thing to do” and “enjoyed it.”

Although the couple faced the risk of being declared “suppressive persons” and possibly losing contact with family and friends if they left, that potential did not qualify as “serious harm” under the human trafficking law, the court concluded.

The panel suggested that the Headleys might have fared better had they sued on different grounds.

They did not bring claims for assault, battery, false imprisonment, intentional infliction of emotional distress, or any of a number of other theories that might have better fit the evidence,” O’Scannlain wrote.

[​IMG]
    Headley family ~ Facebook.

Claire Headley was forced by the "Church" of Scientology to abort her 1st two pregnancies. This was in the public court documents and never denied by the "church."

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  12. Stat

Stat Gold Meritorious Patron

Indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfn-lkiyrB8

"..Your hands upon
    A deadman's gun and you're
    Looking down the sights
    Your heart is worn,
    And the seams are torn
    And they've given you reason to fight

And you're not gonna take what they've got to give
    And you not gonna let them take your will to live
    Because they've taken enough and you've given them all you can give
    And luck won't save them tonight
    They've given you reason to fight

And all the storms you've been chasing
    About to rain down tonight
    And all the pain you've been facin'
    About to comin' to the light.."

I will just leave it at that.

And my happy wishes and thoughts to Headley's!

13. HelluvaHoax!

HelluvaHoax! Gold Meritorious Sponsor

I say CONGRALUTATIONS to the Headleys.

The house of Scientology is not washed away by one big Tsunami, but instead by a succession of rising tides and erosive waves hitting it time and time again.

Mark and Claire crashed hard at the foundation of Ron's haunted house and loosened it for the waves that have followed. It's a force of nature that cannot be long denied.

With enough pounding, it will be uprooted and Hubbard's mad little fortress will be washed to sea, exactly where he now resides.

[video=youtube;KmJZrnHZFV4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmJZrnHZFV4[/video]

14. Mimsey Borogrove

Mimsey Borogrove Crusader

How nice of the judges to write a C/S for the next law suit. They didn't have to do that, but if the next person does follow their advice, they should get a better result!

Mimsey

15. GoNuclear

GoNuclear Gold Meritorious Patron

That, or they will get another stupid alibi story from the next FOSWATH.
    (Flatulent Old Slob Wielding A Toy Hammer)

Pete

16. Lurker5

Lurker5 Gold Meritorious Patron

Marc and family are stars, in my book. What they did, his book - outstanding.

Maybe it will go better for the next one . . . One step for Marc, a giant step for mankind. :bravo:
    Thank you Headleys.

17. BigBeard

BigBeard Patron

Agreed. From what I've seen over the last 20 years the 9th seems to always find a way to side with the Cof$'s version of things. Too bad they couldn't have gotten their case heard in another circuit.

18. Auditor's Toad

Auditor's Toad Clear as Mud

I R & AUDITOAD...........but I leap frogged outta dat trap !

Toady

19. Ho Tai

Ho Tai Patron Meritorious

Using the First Amendment to justify the actions of the cos is akin to using the Second Amendment to justify selling an AR-15 to James Holmes. I wonder if either of these outcomes is what the founding fathers had in mind.

20. JackStraw

JackStraw Silver Meritorious Patron

Keep in mind, the 9th Circuit Court is popularly known as the most overturned Circuit Court in the U.S.

Though, there may be statistical evidence to cause one to question that. They are also the largest Circuit Court in the country. (They cover the largest area of any court) A couple Supreme Court Justices have suggested it is too large and should be split...

If this was pushed to the Supreme Court there might be a different outcome...

Jack