Scientology Gateshead building still empty after seven years

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Lulu Belle, Aug 19, 2014.

View Users: View Users
  1. Lulu Belle

Lulu Belle Moonbat

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-26936135

Scientology Gateshead building still empty after seven years

[​IMG]

(excerpt)

The Church of Scientology, famous for its Hollywood celebrity followers, once hailed its new home in north-east England as a centre for spiritual enlightenment. Several years on, the building lies empty and is a haven for squatters and drug users. So will it ever open?

The Windmill Hills former school and care home in Gateshead looks like the ideal setting for a ghost story.

Damp and derelict, the spooky Victorian day school sits at the mercy of vandals, squatters and the elements.

However, the Church of Scientology, which boasts among its followers Tom Cruise and John Travolta, paints a different picture on one of its web pages.

Beside a sparkling image of the Grade II listed building, the text says the church's new branch will be based in the building and aim to make northern England "strong, prosperous and enlightened". The date at the bottom reads 2009.

2. Axiom142

Axiom142 Gold Meritorious Patron

This was featured on the 'most read' section of the BBC's website. This website is read by millions every day.

Well done to Roland and Pete for contributing to the story.

And here is another excerpt from the article:

The building in Gateshead is part of an international programme of property expansion, which the church's UK spokesman Graeme Wilson said was "to cater for increased interest in Scientology".

A prime example of Doublethink. Graeme works for OSA, he must know that Scientology is dying in the UK, yet he continues to spout the lies. No doubt he justifies it on the basis 'of the greatest good'.

And I wonder what the Scn public will think of this colossal waste of their money? A couple of years ago, a five-a-side football tournament was held in East Grinstead, with teams from all the orgs. The overall winner bagged all the 'donations' raised for use in their 'Ideal' org. Sunderland won and this is what they ended up with?

The building is now in such a bad state they would make a big loss if they tried to sell it, but even worse, because it is a listed building they are legally responsible for maintaining it. They can't just demolish it and build a new one. So, they will have to continue to fleece their customers just to keep something they can't use. If they neglect it, the council can make them repair it.

But of course, Miscavige doesn't care - it isn't his money.

Axiom142

3. Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid Patron Meritorious

First come the squatters, followed by the drug users. How ironic. Soon the psychiatrists will move in.

4. gbuck

gbuck oxymoron

There is something creepy about the buying of all this property everywhere isn't there?

It baffles me.

5. Cat's Squirrel

Cat's Squirrel Gold Meritorious Patron

I think Paul suggested elsewhere that the game plan is to acquire a property portfolio which can perhaps be turned into cash at a later date.

6. Jump

Jump Operating teatime

Property bought by the money crush-reg'd from clubbed seals goes onto the asset portfolio of Miscavige's cult. At the same time, it is pointed to as a wonderful example of spending tax-free religious dollars to provide places of worship. Unfortunately the IRS falls for the scam as badly as the forced-smiling dupes.

7. Leland

Leland Crusader

It would be interesting to see who exactly are the owners....on the Deed or Title.....or Mortgage....of these various properties being bought. In the USA....it is public information. :biggrin:

I suppose the ownership...could be listed as an "agent" for "the corporation" that is scamology.

I do wish someone suing the C of $ anytime in the future would name the Sea Org as a defendant.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  8. gbuck

gbuck oxymoron

WTF is this contraption, and is it coming to Gateshead :omg:

and why does this bother me? ClearwaterSuperPower.jpg a diet of too much sic-fi, or what.....:p........:confused2:.............:redface:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  9. CommunicatorIC

CommunicatorIC @IndieScieNews on Twitter

Evening Chronicle: Church of Scientology told it must resubmit plans if it is to open a new base in Gateshead
    http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/church-scientology-told-must-resubmit-7650613

10. R2-45

R2-45 Silver Meritorious Patron

“We take great care with these projects and the results enhance the local communities these churches serve."

Yeah. Right.

Better wake up, Gateshead.

If the clams get a toe in the door, you might have to change the name to Goatshead.

11. Terril park

Terril park Sponsor

Some years ago it was brought to my attention that Sunderland Org had
    to get C/Sing done by St Hill as they didn't have a C/S.

12. Freeminds

Freeminds Bitter defrocked apostate

Oooh, a failed Scientology project that's punctuated by a mysterious fire.

Where have I heard that story before? 100% Standard Tech, that is.

You mark my words: sooner or later there'll be a massive insurance claim at the Camelot Castle Hotel in Tintagel. Given the connection with long-time Hubbard apologist and convicted arsonist Duncan Williams, anything could happen.

Meanwhile, this is an oldie, but...

[​IMG]

13. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

Two days ago I went by Metro from my home out to Sunderland on the coast. It being Sunday, part of the line was closed for scheduled maintenance, and double-decker replacement buses were in use. So I was upstairs looking out the windows going through Gateshead and noticed this incredibly ugly eyesore of a derelict building on a hill nearby. I caught the name "Windmill Hills", and thought, "Oh, isn't that ...?"

I didn't have time to whip out a camera, but I see someone took a pic a few weeks ago. It looked worse than this pic.

See https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=153703464

EDIT: Oh! I see from that linked thread the cult appears to be breathing life into this corpse, with new planning applications submitted October 2018. It includes the words (from memory) "100 volunteer staff and 20 visitors a day." Yeah, right.

Paul

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  14. ThetanExterior

ThetanExterior Gold Meritorious Patron

For those who don't know, Gateshead is supposed to be the new Ideal Org to replace Sunderland which is a few miles away.

In 2017 they set up a crowdfunding site to raise £600,000 (about 780,000 US Dollars). Despite contributions from public at Sunderland, HAPI (Edinburgh), AOSH UK and other orgs they only managed to raise £5,645 (about 7,300 US Dollars).

They then closed the crowdfunding site and announced that they had successfully completed the first phase of the funding.:hysterical:

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/newcastlegatesheadidealorg

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • List
  15. The_Fixer

The_Fixer Class Clown

Wow, Gateshead.

My Nan came from around Blaydon on the other side of the river and my g.grandmother was from Durham.

They all left England for NZ in 1914. WWI commenced whilst they were enroute.

I read up a bit on Gateshead during the course of my family history research and found it had a fairly sad history in the 1800s. Especisally one I remember about was Pipewellgate Lane.

City was founded during Roman times and was a sort of crossroads village then.

It doesn't have a huge population, so it seems like an Ideal Org would be just a bit out of the way. Perhaps that is what they want?

16. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

Geographically Gateshead is only separated from Newcastle upon Tyne by the river, one stop on the Metro, and it could be one big city. Historically, legally, etc they are quite separate, but they're just a bridge (several bridges -- 7?) apart. So for population numbers you can combine the two if figuring out possible cult public as some school exercise or something. In reality the current "org" in Sunderland has much more foot traffic nearby -- I don't think Windmill Hills has any at all.

Paul

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  17. Wilbur

Wilbur Patron Meritorious

I don't imagine that the orgs north of Manchester have more than five staff members between them. I bet they are all staffed by SO members who got pregnant, and got booted out to Class V Orgs until their kids are grown up.

It must be so much easier to blow staff if you are miles away from the nearest SO base at St. Hill. I can imagine, in response to the Programs Chief at St. Hill calling up about Compliance Reports on Thursday afternoon, them getting (in a broad Scots or Geordie accent): "fuck off. I'm not sticking a poster up on the wall and taking a photo of it".

18. The_Fixer

The_Fixer Class Clown

A little more detail about Gateshead...

The 1851 census found the Garvey family in Pipewellgate, a very poor area of Gateshead on the banks of the Tyne, and the centre of Gateshead’s Irish community. In 1843 there were just 3 privies (ash closets) for the 2,000 inhabitants. The street which gave its name to the area was 330 yards long and only 8 feet wide.

I read an account a few years ago (can't find it now) that said there was a big storm there about that time and a roof collapsed on one of the rooms of a lodging, injuring about 37 men sleeping in it.

It's kind of hard to imagine such a level of poverty. The movie "Angela's Ashes" shows some of it. It wasn't Africa, but the world leading Empire of the time, Britain.

It was also around the time of the great potato blight that devastated Ireland so profoundly.

19. ThetanExterior

ThetanExterior Gold Meritorious Patron

The inventor of the electric light bulb, Joseph Swan, was born in Sunderland and his house in Gateshead was the "world's first to have working light bulbs installed". - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Swan