Scientology opposes life and death penalty sentences for fentanyl sellers

Discussion in 'Scientology Infiltrates Society' started by CommunicatorIC, Nov 1, 2016.

View Users: View Users
  1. CommunicatorIC

CommunicatorIC @IndieScieNews on Twitter

Church of Scientology National Affairs Office opposes bill that would expose individuals caught selling fentanyl to mandatory life without parole or death penalty sentences.

http://www.drugpolicy.org/sites/default/files/Reed_Fentanyl_Death_Penalty_Letter_101816.pdf

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

October 18, 2016
    The Honorable Tom Reed
    U.S. House of Representatives
    2437 Rayburn House Office Building
    Washington, DC 20515

cc: Speaker Paul Ryan, Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, Rep. Bob Goodlatte, Rep. John Conyers.

RE: Opposition to H.R. 6158, the HELP Act of 2016

Dear Rep. Reed,

On behalf of a coalition of groups working toward criminal justice reform, we write to respectfully express our opposition to your bill, H.R. 6158, the HELP Act of 2016. H.R. 6158 would expose individuals caught selling fentanyl or a substance containing fentanyl to mandatory life without parole or death penalty sentences. Such an approach would be a dramatic step in the wrong direction at a time when there is a bipartisan movement aimed at rolling back the harsh drug sentences created in 1986. H.R. 6158 would also exacerbate the opioid epidemic
    our country is currently undergoing. The bill is out of step with the times, science, data, and public opinion and doubles down on 30 years of ineffective drug policy and we ask that it be revised.

[SNIP]

Sincerely,

A New PATH (Parents for Addiction Treatment & Healing)

ACT UP Boston

AIDS United

Alliance for Positive Health

Alliance of Baptists

Baltimore Harm Reduction Coalition

Blacks in Law Enforcement of America

BOOM!Health (NY)

Boston Homeless Solidarity Committee

Broken No More

CAN-DO Foundation

Center for Living and Learning (CA)

Charles Hamilton Houston Institute for Race and Justice at Harvard Law School

Chicago Recovery Alliance

Church of Scientology National Affairs Office

[SNIP]

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

2. Enthetan

Enthetan Master of Disaster

I see this as an accommodation to Nation of Islam, who are concerned about the number of black people in prison and on death row.

3. hummingbird

hummingbird Patron with Honors

Now, THAT makes sense. I was puzzled by their alignment with this issue, given their vehement anti-drug stance.

4. Enthetan

Farrakhan goes into it in the following video from a few days ago. He starts into it at the 1:40 mark, talking about black people going to prison "over a little blunt"(marijuana cigar), and blaming the Clintons for the current state of affairs.

[video=youtube;ekupMNGRDXY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekupMNGRDXY[/video]

5. Leland

Leland Crusader

I didn't watch the vid....

Yea, though the "3 strikes" Laws.....were the choice of States....and about 48 of em have some sort of 3 strikes laws, It was Bill Clinton that kinda got the ball rolling on that?

here's a bit from the BBC about it today.

I recall an incident in LA about a guy that was getting kinda wild at Venice Beach....and he stole some kid's slice of pizza.....and got caught.....it turned out to be his "3rd strike" and went away for a long time.

I can see the good and bad of it....

But glad it did put away some social misfits....and made the street safer?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-33545971

6. Enthetan

I went and looked up the case. The "pizza guy" was convicted in 1995 under the "three strikes" law, but was released in 1999.
    The point of "three strikes" is to take off the streets people who just can't seem to control themselves, and are a chronic danger to those around them.