Scientology The Evidence - What Convinces Scientologists ?

Discussion in 'Evaluating and Criticising Scientology' started by mockingbird, Apr 29, 2019.

View Users: View Users
  1. mockingbird

mockingbird Silver Meritorious Patron

Many people have said Scientology is entirely dependent on faith, meaning belief without evidence. I can assure you that is not the case, not even a little bit. Scientologists routinely see, feel, hear and experience things they count as evidence.

These experiences have scientific evidence they occur and evidence the methods Ronald Hubbard used in Dianetics and Scientology create these effects, too. They have been studied and examined with scientific research in studies and experiments that establish the existence of these effects and that they are genuine and can be measured and reproduced.

They are significant and worth describing in fine detail one by one. The effects may seem astonishing and incredible but when you look in explicit detail at what the effect is, how it is created and the scientific evidence regarding each one then hopefully it can be comprehensible.

The key I think is taking on each one in full, from how it is described and created in Scientology to the scientific evidence regarding it and what it means for the individual Scientologist experiencing it. Then by adding up several effects hopefully a full picture of the evidence and experience a Scientologist gets can be presented.

Any list should include the memories of past lives experienced in auditing, the new vocabulary attained in indoctrination, the experience of exteriorization (aka out of body experience), the acceptance of Hubbard's doctrine as infallible and the experience of confusion in Scientology indoctrination and the relief of that confusion by seeking words to look up or something to demonstrate or a skipped step and not the issue that initially was confusing.

Evidence from psychology should be examined regarding the techniques in Scientology. Hubbard took methods from hypnosis such as repetition, repetition-with-variation, confusion (aka contradiction or paradox), mimicry and vivid imagery and stories and used all of them in Scientology and Dianetics.

I think the evidence regarding these methods and their effects is entirely relevant and will often surprise people who assume that techniques taken from hypnosis either cannot work or rely on knowing cooperation from people that are subjected to them or the placebo effect or especially gullible or stupid people to be victims.

By looking at each phenomena and the experience a Scientology cult member has along with the techniques used to create the phenomena and the specific details of the method as it has been examined scientifically we can try to see the evidence from several relevant perspectives and get a broad look at it including the whole picture. We can try to see what a Scientologist experiences, what Hubbard used in creating these effects and what relevant and legitimate scientific evidence exists to frame the phenomena in conventional terms.

I want to start with a description of Scientology indoctrination and distraction, confusion and relief from a perspective that contrasts the techniques used against both hypnosis and evidence from psychology.

In Scientology indoctrination one of the very first ideas introduced is word clearing. It is a part of Scientology study technology. To be a Scientologist you have to almost immediately use study technology.

In entering Scientology as public or staff a person must use study technology. I will in this post try to list Scientology doctrine describing the required practices in the simplest terms and then describe Hubbard's claims that illustrate that he intended for this to be a covert method of influence and to show what a Scientologist experiences and then to use the descriptions from cultic studies and psychology to fill out the description of what is done and how.

First we have the description of Scientology study technology.

Here's a series of quotes from Hubbard that outline some basic concepts in study technology:

The First Barrier – Lack of Mass
    A student who encounters this barrier will tend to feel squashed, bent, sort of spinny, sort of dead, bored and exasperated. He can wind up with his face feeling squashed, with headaches, and with his stomach feeling funny. He can feel dizzy from time to time and very often his eyes can hurt.

The Second Barrier – Too Steep a Gradient

There is a different set of physiological reactions which occur as a result of this barrier. When one hits too steep a gradient, a sort of confusion or reelingness is experienced.

The Third Barrier – the Misunderstood Word

Going past a word or symbol for which one does not have a proper definition gives one a distinctly blank or washed-out feeling. The person will get a "not there" feeling and will begin to feel a nervous hysteria. These are manifestations distinct from either of the other two barriers.

Have you ever come to the bottom of a page only to realize you didn’t remember what you had just read? That is the phenomenon of a misunderstood word, and one will always be found just before the material became blank in your mind.

HCO Bulletin of 25 June 1971 (revised 25 November 1974),
    "Barriers to Study" Ron Hubbard

In the Scientology Handbook a simple version of Hubbard's study tech is presented with his method 3 word clearing presented as Basic Word Clearing. It's a foundation of how a Scientologist approaches indoctrination and the materials he studies.

Basic Word Clearing
    Basic Word Clearing is the method of finding a misunderstood word by looking earlier in the text for a misunderstood word than where one is having trouble. This is the most basic method of Word Clearing used in Scientology.
    A student must know how to keep himself tearing along successfully in his studies. He should be able to handle anything that slows or interferes with his progress. He applies the Study Technology to assist himself.
    A student who uses Study Technology will look up each word he comes to that he doesn’t understand and will never leave a word behind him that he doesn’t know the meaning of.
    If he runs into trouble, the student himself, his study partner or his instructor (in Scientology called a Supervisor) uses Basic Word Clearing to handle anything that slowed or interfered with his progress.
    Waiting to become groggy or to “dope off” (feel tired, sleepy or foggy as though doped or drugged) as the only detection of misunderstood words before handling is waiting too long. If you have ever seen a student falling asleep over his book, then you have seen dope-off. Long before that point, someone should have made the student look for a misunderstood word. The time to look for the misunderstood word is as soon as the student slows down or isn’t quite as “bright” as he was fifteen minutes before. It is not a misunderstood phrase or idea or concept but a misunderstood WORD. This always occurs before the subject itself is not understood.
    Basic Word Clearing is done as follows:
    1. The student is not flying along and is not so “bright” as he was or he may exhibit just plain lack of enthusiasm or be taking too long on the course or be yawning or disinterested or doodling or daydreaming, etc.
    2. The student must then look earlier in the text for a misunderstood word. There is one always; there are no exceptions. It may be that the misunderstood word is two pages or more back, but it is always earlier in the text than where the student is now.
    3. The word is found. The student recognizes it in looking back for it. Or, if the student can’t find it, one can take words from the text that could be the misunderstood word and ask, “What does _____ mean?” to see if the student gives the correct definition.
    4. The student looks up the word found in a dictionary and clears it per the steps of clearing a misunderstood word described above. He uses it verbally several times in sentences of his own composition until he has obviously demonstrated he understands the word by the composition of his sentences.
    5. The student now reads the text that contained the misunderstood word. If he is not now “bright,” eager to get on with it, feeling happier, etc., then there is another misunderstood word earlier in the text. This is found by repeating steps 2–5.
    6. When the student is bright and feeling happier, he comes forward, studying the text from where the misunderstood word was to the area of the subject he did not understand (where step 1 began).
    The student will now be enthusiastic about his study of the subject, and that is the end result of Basic Word Clearing. (The result won’t be achieved if a misunderstood word was missed or if there is an earlier misunderstood word in the text. If so, repeat steps 2–5.) If the student is now enthusiastic, have him continue studying.
    Good Word Clearing is a system of backtracking. You have to look earlier than the point where the student became dull or confused and you’ll find that there’s a word that he doesn’t understand somewhere before the trouble started. If he doesn’t brighten up when the word is found and cleared, there will be a misunderstood word even before that one.
    This will be very clear to you if you understand that if it is not resolving, the thing the student is apparently having trouble with is not the thing the student is having trouble with. Otherwise, it would resolve, wouldn’t it? If he knew what he didn’t understand, he could resolve it himself. So to talk to him about what he thinks he doesn’t understand just gets nowhere. The trouble is earlier.
    Zeroing In on the Word
    The formula is to find out where the student wasn’t having any trouble and find out where the student is now having trouble and the misunderstood word will be in between. It will be at the tag end—the last part—of where he wasn’t having trouble.
    Basic Word Clearing is tremendously effective when done as described here. From the Scientology Handbook based on the works of Ron Hubbard

Hubbard's claims that illustrate he intended to knowingly influence students come from a variety of sources.

Quotes from Ron Hubbard on the Confusion Technique:

2. I told you I was trouble

I told you I was trouble Suspended animation

[​IMG]

3. ThetanExterior

ThetanExterior Gold Meritorious Patron

4. RogerB

RogerB Crusader

Well, Mockingbird, what you say/cite about Hubbard and his technique for implanting hypnotic shit in a person's mind is quite right, he said it . . . .

But I have to tell ya, scrolling down that long, long, long page of line after line after line after line after line was enough to make me feel dull enough to accept what ever you said as truth.:)

Was that an intended real life example of the phenomena???:p

• Thanks Thanks x 4
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • List
  5. Gib

Gib Crusader

Any way one wishes to slice it, whether hypnosis, rhetoric, story telling, lack of critical thinking,

there is one thing I know for sure,

no clears, no OT's.

6. programmer_guy

programmer_guy True Ex-Scientologist

...and no engrams (Hubbard's definition of engram).

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  7. I told you I was trouble

I told you I was trouble Suspended animation

... and no loo paper.

• LOL LOL x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List