Scientology: Why doesn't it work?

Discussion in 'Evaluating and Criticising Scientology' started by KnightVision, Dec 9, 2008.

View Users: View Users
  1. KnightVision

KnightVision Gold Meritorious Patron

http://itsyourtimes.com/?q=node/4098

Scientology: Why doesn't it work?
    Fri, 2008-12-05 17:23 — gargy
    Now, before all you Scientologists get your knickers in a twist, I'm not talking about personal, subjective experiences. These kinds of things happen to almost everyone for any number of reasons and can't be proven or disproven. That's not what this article is about.

I'm talking about all the stuff that the Scientology technology is very explicitly supposed to accomplish in the world. Why doesn't that work?

For example: All Scientologists are required to do the "PTS/SP Course". The full, actual name of the course is the "How to Confront and Shatter Suppression - PTS/SP Course". Most Scientologists today have actually done this course.

PTS="Potential Trouble Source", someone connected to an SP.
    SP="Suppressive Person", someone who, for instance, attacks Miscavige's Church of Scientology.
    So, do any Scientologists actually confront anything that might upset them? Do any Scientologists look at and confront any opposition to Miscavige's church? Scientologists don't look at any media that might mention negative things about Scientology. Scientologists carefully avoid most of the Internet. When the Anonymous protests take place near any Church of Scientology, Scientologists run and hide. Scientologists cover the windows and hunker down, waiting for the protesters to go away. Where is the confront?

And don't even mention "shatter". If graduates of the PTS/SP Course could "shatter suppression", there wouldn't be any protests, would there? All the negative information about Miscavige and his church would simply go away. But that hasn't worked either, has it?

No confront. No "shattering." Virtually all Scientologists have "learned" this technology but the promised results just aren't happening.

Why doesn't Scientology work?

Contrary to what one might expect, Scientologists really do know there are problems in the Church of Scientology. They even talk about it with each other. While they don't see the big picture, they see the local manifestations.

They see the local problems, but they believe that things are better elsewhere; things are better for other Scientologists.

And they expect that, sooner or later, someone will notice that things are going bad for this Scientologist, or things aren't going well with this local church -- and someone will come and fix it.

And these loyal Scientologists carefully write up reports, sometimes to "RTC", sometimes to David Miscavige, sometimes to someone else who is "in charge". They carefully look up the policies, they carefully document all their problems, they carefully present their information, they carefully suggest what should be done -- then they wait.

And they wait.

And the problems persist and get worse.

So they carefully write it all up again. And they carefully send it "up lines" again.

Surely this time, someone will read their report, see the horrible misapplication of Hubbard's policies or technology, and they will fix it. It's obvious what is wrong. It's obvious what should be done. All it takes is that one person in authority reads their careful report and sends the proper orders.

But it doesn't happen. Scientologists all over the world are having serious problems, they are carefully writing up their reports and sending them "up lines" to RTC or Miscavige or someone in authority -- and nothing is getting corrected. Why?

Quite a few years ago, OT VIII was released. It was heralded as the "first true OT level". While David Miscavige, himself, has been unable to attain this level, many other Scientologists have. Some of them are still in Scientology and are still working to support Scientology.

But where are the results of these "true OTs" who are supporting Scientology? These OTs are supposed to be far beyond anything that has ever existed on this planet. These OTs are supposed to be incredibly effective. Around such OTs, things "just go right". Yes?

No.

But why? Why is so much going so wrong for the Church of Scientology? Why is it such a struggle for Miscavige and his church? Why have so many OT VIIIs dropped out of sight, left the church, moved away?

Scientology is supposed to be fun. Scientology is supposed to increase communication, increase ARC, increase a person's ability to face difficulties. Scientologists are supposed to end up flourishing and prospering. Scientologists are supposed to be happy. Scientologists are supposed to be more connected with people.

ARC: Scientology acronym for Affinity, Reality, Communication, which equals Understanding.
    I'm sure there are brief moments of happiness for many Scientologists, but, in general, none of this is happening. There is very little fun, very little happiness, not much flourishing or prospering. As a rule, Scientologists withdraw from friends, family, and society. Being involved in Scientology is not supposed to make one's life more of a struggle, but this is exactly what happens. Life, for Scientologists, just becomes harder, grimmer and more guilt-laden.

The difference between what is promised by Miscavige's Church of Scientology and what actually happens is stark. Why?

And don't look at the colossal failure of Miscavige to get all churches to the "size of old Saint Hill". Don't look at Miscavige's failure to complete his "SuperPower building" in Clearwater. Don't look at the failure of the "Ideal Org" campaign which has caused untold problems for the local churches.

It doesn't take any effort at all to see that Scientology is not working. Things are not going well at all. It is obvious.

It takes a tremendous amount of effort, continuous effort, to keep not seeing this -- to make excuses, to hide from the facts, to grit your teeth and see the illusion and not the reality. Being a Scientologist today is a lot of work -- and none of it is fun.

And the bottom-line question that Scientologists must not ask is:

2. Free to shine

Free to shine Shiny & Free

Excellent questions KV.

I remember all my carefully researched and written KRs I did on obvious outpoints and the deafening silence in response.

3. Pixie

Pixie Crusader

Good post. It was similar questions I began to ask before I got turfed out onto the street with my then husband for writing up KR's to Int Management. I never recieved one single reply. But of course to me, it wasn't the fault of Int Management, there was an evil SP in middle management that hadn't passed on my KR's.... :duh:

4. Tim Skog

Tim Skog Silver Meritorious Patron

:goodposting:

"Why doesn't Scientology work?"

If you are a Scientologist and you confront and consider this question, the fact that Scientology is NOT working has to be a major outpoint.

5. Cat's Squirrel

Cat's Squirrel Gold Meritorious Patron

It's them evil SPs. Innit?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  6. Royal Prince Xenu

Royal Prince Xenu Trust the Psi Corps.

The reason $cn doesn't work is because there are deliberate blocks and cracks in the tech and procedures.

Auditor flub: The pc pays to go back into session.
    Ethics out: The pc pays for "alleged" ethics handling.
    Repair false ethics condition: The pc pays to go back into session
    Overrun: The pc pays to go back into session for correction

With that sort of money-making racket on your hands, why would you want to "fix" any of it?

7. uniquemand

uniquemand Unbeliever

Scientology does work. It does exactly what it is intended to do. Help you overcome some initial barriers or problems, and gain your loyalty. Then exploit this loyalty either for your labor or your money, or both, and to worm it's way through you to your friends and relations.

Oh, it works.

8. Voltaire's Child

Voltaire's Child Fool on the Hill

All therapeutic wins or gains are subjective.

9. Alanzo

Alanzo Banned

..."Some are fun."

What about cancer therapy?

Are those therapeutic wins or gains subjective, too?

10. uniquemand

uniquemand Unbeliever

Those aren't from psychotherapy. Many people think therapy and psychotherapy are synonymous. Obviously there are other types of therapy than psychotherapy.

11. Martini

Martini Patron Meritorious

well said

12. Alanzo

Alanzo Banned

Exactly.

The LOYALTY is the big, unnamed onslaught no one ever told you about when you were signing up.

13. Mark A. Baker

Mark A. Baker Sponsor

It works EXACTLY as APPLIED! :)

When applied for the benefit of an individual seeking assistance, it works brilliantly.

When it is applied to manipulate others into fearful obedience it works suppressively.

As with ANY TOOL the ONLY difference is how the person himself chooses to make use of it. :omg:

Mark A. Baker

14. KnightVision

Show me the motherfu*cking clear!!

Where is this 'Clear'?

15. KnightVision

Bumped.

16. Tim Skog

Tim Skog Silver Meritorious Patron

My response/post has to do with Scientology as a movement or as an organization. It is not working. It is not achieving the Aims of Scientology. The Church is dwindling. The planet is not going clear.

DM is strangling the organization dry. He just lost his #1 PR/FSM (TC).

Scientology's PR is at an all time low.

That's what I am talking about.

17. Veda

Veda Sponsor

This is simply dishonest.

What's "it?" The nebulous cloud called "Scientology tech" that Scientologists chant "works!" ?

Be specific. There is no "The Tech," only bits and pieces of "tech."

Which tech?

And "works" to what end result, specifically?

Otherwise this is no more than propaganda and hypnotic-chant.

"Tech Works!"

One might as well say, "Stuff Does!"

It means nothing, but it serves to keep people in a kind of Scientology trance.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=181534&postcount=33

18. Voltaire's Child

Voltaire's Child Fool on the Hill

Things are a matter of degree. To me, it's not a question of it works vs it doesn't work. It works to extents and degrees. This is not what Hubbard said, of course, but, well, I'm not so party line about that stuff.

Life isn't black or white, either/or.

19. Leon

Leon Gold Meritorious Patron

So what's your problem? Bits and pieces of the "tech" (notice that Mark never used the word at all) do work well when applied for benefit. Equally many bits are suppressive when used suppressively. These are simple truths.

There's nothing dishonest about Mark's post at all. You're just having your usual froth at the mouth whenever anyone suggests that there can be some value in properly done Scientology.

20. Free to shine

Free to shine Shiny & Free

That's the second time someone has used "froth at the mouth" about Veda. Hmmm.... So easy to dismiss someone's legitimate question - ie "which tech?" by directing it back into a personal attack.