Second thoughts/cold feet? What do you guys think?

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by EZ Linus, Aug 3, 2017.

View Users: View Users
  1. EZ Linus

EZ Linus BT-free since 2003!

If you were writing a book about your life and half of it was about the cult, would you put your real name on it, or would you let the chips fall - knowing you'd get harassed? Having second thoughts on that aspect now. I know I have "support" but I recently watched "My Scientology Movie" and just watching how harassed the crew was, and of course seeing a lot of the footage on Marty, and being reminded of how relentless they were to him...I don't know. It just reminded me of what I might be in for.

2. Enthetan

Enthetan Mutant

Make your own decision. You're the one who deals with what happens.

Me, I have two kids in college, and I don't feel like getting harassed at work, so I choose to stay anonymous. Most of you don't know me in my Scn days anyway, so Enthetan is as familiar a name as any, and whatever things I might have to say, I've already said here.

3. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

As Enthetan wrote, it's really a personal decision that no one else can make for you.

I've considered the possibility myself of a book, and while I wouldn't want to deal with the typical harassment, hate websites, etc. from the cult, I would go forward with it if I felt it would help some others.

Maybe reach out to some of the other authors directly who have written critical books about Scientology, discussing it with them, and getting feedback on what their experience was after publishing.

4. NoName

NoName A Girl Has No Name

I would think that Marty would be in a different league than most of us just based on what he did for the cult.

The harassment I've had directed at me was almost comical. It was jarring at the time but comical. I also suspect that I was targeted to send a message to someone else. It's somewhat convoluted but I can explain in a private message. It's not really for public consumption.

Chris Shelton and I had really good conversations about safepointing employers, etc., before he went public. You need to talk to him because he struggled with the decision and has gone on to be a great asset to our community.

5. HelluvaHoax!

HelluvaHoax! Gold Meritorious Sponsor

Good question!

For years I used the nom de plume "HelluvaHoax!"

But one day, I just decided "Fuck it!" and began using my real name, Don Hubbard.

It was so empowering and there haven't been any problems with Scientology goonery as a result.

LOL

Seriously, I use a pen name to keep all contact with Scientologists (OSA or otherwise) at zero or an absolute minimum. Not from fear. From not wanting to expose myself to the toxic stupidity of people trying to "handle" me.

As well as severe fits of rage and depression upon hearing cliches like "on this planet". lol

Same reason I wouldn't date or marry a Scientologist. It gets really uncomfortable in bed with a clipboard and all those nasty little demo kit pieces.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  6. CommunicatorIC

CommunicatorIC @IndieScieNews on Twitter

The problem is that if you are writing a book "about your life and half of it was about the cult," it would be rather easy for OSA to identify you even if you use a fake name. I've never known of an anonymous or pseudonymous book about Scientology that was meaningful, much less successful. What are you going to do, change not only you name, but everyone else's names? The Org and location? The facts of what happened?

My advice is that if you are concerned about being outed and the consequences thereof -- which I believe are very legitimate concerns -- don't write the book. Certainly don't write the book with the thought that changing the name of the author is going to provide you with any protection.

7. ILove2Lurk

ILove2Lurk Lisbeth Salander

My favorite Don Hubbard photo from back in the day.
    This ride is so sweet. Cannot go wrong with a Cadillac.

superfly.jpg

:wink2:

8. I told you I was trouble

I told you I was trouble Suspended animation

I really don't feel the need to invite any of those nasty [STRIKE]robots[/STRIKE] people back into my life in any way at all (it's been so fantastic being rid of every last one of them this last 9 years) so I would not use my real name ... the only exception being if (by using it) it would significantly help to bring down the cult.

9. ThetanExterior

ThetanExterior Goldenrod SP

Sounds like you want people to read about your life but you don't want them to know who you are. That's a dilemma that only you can solve.

I remember Chris Shelton joining this board as Galactic Patrol and he had the same concerns. Pretty soon after that he went public with his name and he seems to have gone from strength to strength.

10. HelluvaHoax!

lol lol lol lol

I asked Don about that shot. . .

11. HelluvaHoax!

HellYeah!

I could have written that.

Wait a minute, are you reading my mind?

Stop plagiarizing, dammit!!!!

12. HelluvaHoax!

Who knew?

That the real OT levels in Scientology consist of blowing all those abberative, totally annoying, anaten beings called [STRIKE]BTs[/STRIKE] STs (Scientologist Thetans)

13. Do some research, journaling, make an outline, and put together a rough draft. Then decided who your audience is before you make the decision. Hopefully it's the right one for you.

14. EZ Linus

(Bold is mine)

You speak the wisest of words. I suppose I wasn't thinking about this. I am just nervous now that it's coming down to the wire. I'm panicking is all. The "newbe" OSA operative on this board didn't make me feel any better either.

The book has already been written by the way. Just fine tuning now until the end of October and off to the agencies it will go. If I'm lucky, it can get published before the end of next year, depending.

ALSO, I have been contacting people like Chris Shelton and am waiting to hear back. And since Leah has interviewed a number of people that have written books, maybe her producers can hook me up with some authors too. I know one of her producers and will be writing him an email to see if that's possible with everything else they have on their plate right now.

Does anyone know how to email Marc Headley, or even Robert Dam?

Thanks everyone for your replies so far.

And the funny joke HH.

15. EZ Linus

Well, it's too late for any of that now, and I don't think I went about it following any one of those rules. :giggle: I never intended on an audience from the start. I just had to get it all out of my system as a therapeutic endeavor. Not much research, except for some family history and checking some timeline stuff against other people's recollections. From the journals to the first rough draft, it took four or five years. The working draft took another year. I took a whole year off, and it will absolutely done done at the end of October. I've come a long way since 2009.

16. Free to shine

Free to shine Shiny & Free

It is a difficult decision and as stated above, only you know if and when and how you go public. I've wrestled with the same problem myself and it's one determined by our individual circumstances. Good luck whatever you decide!

17. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

If you are on Facebook both of them can be contacted easily that way, as well as Amy Scobee, Nancy Many, Jefferson Hawkins, Lawrence Wright, Jenna Miscavige Hill, Paulette Cooper, Jon Atack, and others.

18. HelluvaHoax!

If you have that burning desire to publish your book, that's a great thing. Passion!

Maybe this is something to consider. The EDITING of the materials is not necessarily a binary (two-fold) choice. It isn't written in stone that it must be either fiction or non-fiction.

What I am suggesting that if disclosing your identity is of concern, there is no cosmic rule that you have to do that. Many books an movies and even documentaries take creative license, and not only for the purpose of "protecting" the author.

Often times the core material is altered considerably from the "true events" in order to have greater (and necessary) impact on the audience. Movies that do this are countless, because most all true-life stories do not automatically have the ingredients of dramatic storytelling structure. People's lives are not necessarily lived in linear, 3-act iterations! LOL

There is another reason the facts are sometimes shaded, changed or left out. Because if the author wants the reader to experience a certain volume or kind of reaction, it may fall terribly short by just "literally" telling the story. To get reaction "X" the writer might need to amplify the events (fictionalize to some extent) and when that 3X exaggeration consumed, the net effect (on the reader) might be 1X, exactly what the real life experience was like. In other words, if you want someone to experience "fear", the telling of the tale might need to add all kinds of fear-inducing elements to make it happen. Thus, the true event would need to be magnified by 3X to get the 1X experience. Because whatever you write is likely to be discounted by the reader as it passes through all their filters.

Sorry, I think I made something very simple sound very complicated. LOL

But, I'm not done trying to screw up your lovely simple zen view and enjoyment of life yet! LOL, there's more!

I think you will find that if you lay out your PURPOSE in writing the book, there is always a way to achieve that and still not harm yourself or create disruption in your life you don't intend. For example, a true story can be told in an infinite number of ways where the actual names on the birth certificates is of no consequence--to wit, the reader doesn't care if they know the exact name of the party as long as they get a great experience reading it. Many books/movies, in this regard, do not reveal a lot of material that their "Based on..." book/movie was inspired by.

There are countless ways to "get it out of your system" without having head-cam zombies show up at your front door. Myself, I just wrote my "book" here on ESMB as whole mess of anecdotes, satire, parody, goofiness and freaky J&D fun! It's out of my system! LOL.

If you want to tell your story, give some thought to how you might be able to do it without LITERAL "time, place, form and event" which can be an awfully suffocating rule to follow if that's not the only choice.

Wish you tremendous fun, fortune and fame however you do or don't decide to roll your autobiographical materials out. Or, if none of those 3 cliched values is what stirs your passions, then you might well need to break out of the mold and just do it your way! (cue Sinatra song, get editing!!! lol)

19. arcxcauseblows

arcxcauseblows Patron Meritorious

My advice is definitely write the book and give copies to someone you trust

Someday you'll be ready to publish it

That might be toward the end of your life when there's nothing left to lose but late is better than never and the stories need to get out

20. Publishing the book might transform you in ways you never imagined and help you grow a little more as a person. I don't know where you are in life, if it's important to help yourself or to help others. You won't know what it all does until then. I'm lucky enough to been able to learn a lot of lessons from jumping into things that gave me a lot of grief. But I always tried to find ways to be happy in the middle of a storm. Coping skills. :happydance: