seductive writing

Discussion in 'Evaluating and Criticising Scientology' started by gulliver, Apr 4, 2012.

View Users: View Users
  1. gulliver

gulliver Patron

It's a very strange feeling I got while reading the fundamentals of thought
    what hubbard says about the white man purveying attention and only looking for attention from the white as he considers the brown and yellow man's attention as worthless. That to me is razor sharp precise. I am an arab and have often confronted european people's sort of condescendence or arrogance I could never put my finger on what it was that was bothersome in their attitude agaisnt me and their it is: understand me, it is scary, there is something scary about reading this. It's as if hubbard had access to the dna of the world that he is showing me the world naked, and there's this feeling of being indebted to that man, "must i repay for that ultra precise information?"
    It doesn't feel granted (I don't necessarily mean money) as if that man had access to information forbidden to man, there's also a rush to read more
    has anyone had a similar reaction or impression while first reading hubbard?

Thanks

2. Panda Termint

Panda Termint Cabal Of One

Nope!

Question: You made 7 posts on 11 November, 2010 along the same lines as this one, then nothing until today... what's the story? I'm curious by nature.

3. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

Managed to stay out of lowers for 18 months?

Paul

4. Outethicsofficer

Outethicsofficer Silver Meritorious Patron

Is it just me or have we not recently had a bunch of Hubbard admirers join the board and ask questions that attempt to lead us somewhere back to where we've once been and have long since escaped?

5. gulliver

gulliver Patron

No real story, read some books that were critical of hubbard and scientology then recently thought of reading what the man really wrote, my previous posts were based on stuff I read about the subject and some discussions with ex members

6. Panda Termint

I don't think it's just you, James. Maybe it's a revival of that old GO/OSA Infiltrator Hatting and apprenticeship action, what was it called... Sourcerer's Apprentice?

7. gulliver

gulliver Patron

why is my question so suspicious? it's maybe the wrong place to post that thread
    sorry guys

8. StickbyMe

StickbyMe Patron with Honors

I kinda feel like everybody's lives would be easier if there was a special section on the forums just for this... Something like "Reasons to Support Hubbard" or "OSA Trolls Unite". Then the mods can just move all these posts to a central location.

9. Outethicsofficer

Outethicsofficer Silver Meritorious Patron

Ah, probably because this is an ex-scio board and while not all here find that admiration for anything Hubbard put pen to is objectionable a large number of us do, so don't be surprised by our responses.

Stick around and get the drift.

James

Oh bye the way the Tech will hook you in...it already has to some degree and that is because it is designed that way.

10. Panda Termint

Well, I was talking about "Hubbard is cool" threads in general, not just this one.

What have you been doing for the last year and a half since your first day flurry of posting back in 2010?

11. gulliver

gulliver Patron

how is that relevant? and what if someone did post "hubbard is cool" isn't this forum a place to be fair about the subject I understand hubbard was sick and abusive but that doesn't necessarily mean all his writings are irrelevant

12. gulliver

gulliver Patron

could you please explain a bit more, do you mean it can hook you in without you knowing why?

13. Panda Termint

It's relevant because I was responding to the post by Outethicsofficer where he raised the point. We've had more than a few of these posts about how neat Hubbard's ideas are lately and perhaps I lack for patience. I don't for a moment think that all things Hubbardian are bad or irrelevant, I just think that, when one considers all things in balance, it's kind of idiotic to seek agreement about Hubbard's Koolness here. Just my opinion.

PS: What have you been doing for the last year and a half since your first day flurry of posting back in 2010?

14. phénix

phénix Patron with Honors

There might be something attractive in the way he writes, or maybe it's just because he puts things in a very simple way, so as to make it "logical" and understandable...
    But bout what he says, in your example there's nothing revolutionnary...what? He says that white man didn't give much value to the other peoples they would came across. That's fucking obvious ( no offense) !!
    So for the secrets of the world that he would have access to you have to try and give me some other example..

I don't know if you're an ex, if so you should read the thread "is any ex truly out" I think, very much connected...

15. gulliver

gulliver Patron

It's how he describes it, it's one thing to say white man doesn't give much value to other people and another to say he thinks their attention is worthless, it's more precise (or maybe it isn't)
    Not an ex, will check out the thread

16. phénix

phénix Patron with Honors

If your're not OSA or the like you need to look at the big picture, the testimonies on this board and th effects of scn....
    I'm here to heal from that, not to try and look in which way fuck-bbard was great

17. Freeminds

Freeminds Bitter defrocked apostate

Being very much a racist himself, I'm not surprised that LRH was (perhaps in one of his more lucid moments) able to write something that was accurate insofar as it described early 20th attitudes towards race.

Yes... Ron the Saviour of Mankind was actually a particularly smallminded racist... but you don't have to take my word for it, since you can discover his flaws in his own words:
    There are many more examples, but I think those will suffice to illustrate the character of LRH.

The remnant of the 'Church' of Scientology that survives to this day is no less racist than Ron himself was... which really is a blunder, given how attitudes in the rest of the world have moved on. I'm not saying racism is a thing of the past, but things are generally getting better - outside of Scientology, anyway.

I hope that has been of interest to you, and best wishes -

'Minds

18. Adam7986

Adam7986 Declared SP

The seductiveness of the writing comes from the closed circle of logic in which Hubbard placed Scientology. Scientology is explained by Scientology and Scientology alone. There are no outside sources. So once you start reading SCientology, you get hooked because a soon as you want an explanation why you are referred to another section of Scientology, which then refers you to another section.

OSA or not I hope that makes sense to you.

19. Claire Swazey

Claire Swazey Spokeshole, fence sitter

In general, I think that if some of Hubbard's writings hadn't resonated with people, they'd not have joined or stayed in any length of time. So, I'm sure that a number of people have felt things in Hubbard's writings really made sense, at least at the time they were interested. Sometimes the opinions change upon reexamination, as I'm sure you know.

20. Mark A. Baker

Mark A. Baker Sponsor

It's a cultural response. Individuals are most interested in things which they see as similar to that which they already familiar with. The more 'foreign' the stimulus the less ability they have to understand and the less interest. Understanding increases with exposure. Interest is lacking in that which seems 'incomprehensible'.

The rule of thumb of hubbard's which you cite was his way of explaining the racist tendencies which are an outgrowth of the western world's traditional cultural & technological dominance. As with much of hubbard's musings, it's not a matter of 'truth' so much as it represents popular attitudes arising from the presumption of cultural superiority of western ways.

It should be born in mind that Hubbard's early life and attitudes were formed in a culture (early 20th century u.s.) where white superiority, open expression of racism, & cultural dominance of the west were taken as being completely natural aspects of worldly existence. His lifelong attitudes as expressed in his lectures & writing reflected the racist & behavioral beliefs adopted from this his native culture.

Mark A. Baker