Something I just found

Discussion in 'Great Web Sites and Links' started by Freeminds, May 30, 2012.

View Users: View Users
  1. Freeminds

Freeminds Bitter defrocked apostate

Erica Kirby is a healthcare professional, working in Florida.

For academic reasons, she studied the Scientology cult back in 2010, and I thought she had quite a few interesting things to say about it in this short paper... I've pasted it here for your convenience, but the original word document can be found here.

It's always nice to see a person who really knows what she's talking about... totally stuff it to the Church of Hubbardian Claptrap. Enjoy...

2. GreyLensman

GreyLensman Silver Meritorious Patron

The psychs were such a created enemy. Look at the portrayal in Battlefield Earth and in Mission: Earth.

LRH wrote letters asking for psychiatric help through the Veterans Administration and it was denied (as far as I can tell they thought he was angling for a greater disability pension). LRH stated in his own affirmations that he was not going to be the effect of his created illnesses, affirming that he was, basically, faking it like a six year old avoiding a hard math test.

But - Scientology doesn't prohibit medical treatment as such, until it does. I met a doctor who regularly treated EPF Sea Org patients, and they regularly refused to follow directions or to get prescriptions. For physical care, not just mental care.

The psych stuff - I have to say, part of the reason making the psychiatric profession and psychology boogiemen is successful is because there is an insistence that this is completely scientific (phychology/pschiatry) and it is not. It is partially data and say two thirds conceptualities of treatments which sometimes work.

The stuff gets about the same verifiable results as hard exercise. I like hard exercise. I don't like the variability of results possible in Scn or psych anything. All paths must be tread with open eyes and good heart.

3. Freeminds

Freeminds Bitter defrocked apostate

To criticize those who work with the 'grey matter' because it's difficult to obtain precise results is fair enough. It is hard to be precise... but that criticism ought to be extended to teachers as well as shrinks. When a person produces the 'right' response, was that a lucky guess? Did they already know the answer, and you taught them nothing? Is the learning superficial, or permanent? Are they just telling you what they think you want to hear, and not what they believe?

The mind is a very personal and private thing. Certainly, there are problems. For one thing, there's a stigma: it's okay to see a doctor about a wounded leg, but you can't get help for a wounded spirit. This is where the predatory 'helpers' like Scientology make a killing. But, whatever, we all know that.

If Hubbard's response to the vagueness of the mind and spirit was truly to treat the mind as a machine (computer, tape recorder, etc.) then fine. He wouldn't be alone in that. The CIA's "brainwashing" experiments used similar analogies. A lot of 1950s models of the brain were of the "information processing" type.

The thing is, though, if you're going to treat your subjects as mechanistic, your scientific approach should be similarly mechanistic. There is no justification (short of a desire to put across outright flim-flam) for treating your subjects as soul-less machines but then allowing yourself highly subjective judgments about your subjects. The claims Hubbard made were never verified, and are in fact impossible to verify. This is having your cake and eating it... and it will get you laughed out of any gathering of professionals: just as L Ron Hubbard was.

The stigma for mental disorders continues to exist, but I'd far rather put myself in the hands of qualified medical professionals that are licensed by the state - and not into the clutches of a secretive cult that can decide to make people disappear for years at a time.

4. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

Yeah, but be real. The doctor says, for example, you have a sprained ankle, take it easy for a week. The EPFer tells the EPF I/C what the doctor said, and the EPF I/C screams at him and tells him to GTFO unless he wants to be offloaded. So he either follows the doctor's directions (and gets offloaded he thinks) or abuses his sprained ankle and "makes it go right."

Prescription? Yeah, he might (or might not) be willing to take it. But it costs $75 that he would likely have to pay personally and he's probably broke.

-----

In ITO I once had a blood vessel explode in my eye. The MAA (Astra Woodcraft) forced me to see the doctor, who noted my high blood pressure and directed me to lie down for 2 days. And the org allowed me to do it! I was amazed. :)

Paul