What's new

the beginning of the end for careers of Cruise and Travolta?

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
You do realize that just today, in Forbes magazine, Cruise was announced as the highest paid actor in Hollywood. This guy has too big of an entourage, ego and bank account to be entertaining thoughts of a tanking career. No way.

IMO, he will have to be brought down many a peg before he starts to view the reality that we all see in terms of Scientology. In terms of other Hollywood heavy weights, well, Cruise seems to have many in his back pocket. They like their investments in him and will continue to protect them.

He makes the kind of films that your average joe blow public loves to go see and they don't really care about his personal life. Is his career tanking? I don't think so.

True. And he makes a lot of money overseas. Where they don't particularly seem to care about his religion or his personal life, as long as he keeps jumping off of buildings and blowing things up.

Esco

Patron
You do realize that just today, in Forbes magazine, Cruise was announced as the highest paid actor in Hollywood. This guy has too big of an entourage, ego and bank account to be entertaining thoughts of a tanking career. No way.

IMO, he will have to be brought down many a peg before he starts to view the reality that we all see in terms of Scientology. In terms of other Hollywood heavy weights, well, Cruise seems to have many in his back pocket. They like their investments in him and will continue to protect them.

He makes the kind of films that your average joe blow public loves to go see and they don't really care about his personal life. Is his career tanking? I don't think so
Thats true, but OTOH he can't be a movie star forever. Whats he gonna do, keep making action movies when he's 80 years old??!! There's gotta come a breaking point somewhere, I dont think he's reached it yet, but give it another 10 years and I think the game is over

Mackdown

Patron
t
I think counting out Tom is quite dumb - name another star who after becoming a laughing stock produces and stars in his franchise's most succesful outing, MI-4 .

What he'll do though in the future is become more reversed about his love life.

JT, don't care about him much and never considered him to be in the same league as Tom anyhow.

John Travolta is a FAR more talented actor, dancer and singer than Tom Cruise could ever hope to be. Outside of another rehash of an already established franchise in MI, tell me what other films has Tom Cruise done in recent years that did much of anything. His days as playing any real character driven roles are over. His best hope are more cookie cutter action movies where the visuals make everyone forget about watching Hollywood's biggest jerk on the big screen. Tom Cruise is too dislikable to be immune from a career collapse. The public has turned its back on big stars many times before and they will do it again.

Mackdown

Patron
I think counting out Tom is quite dumb - name another star who after becoming a laughing stock produces and stars in his franchise's most succesful outing, MI-4 .

What he'll do though in the future is become more reversed about his love life.

JT, don't care about him much and never considered him to be in the same league as Tom anyhow.

John Travolta is a FAR more talented actor, dancer and singer than Tom Cruise could ever hope to be. Outside of another rehash of an already established franchise in MI, tell me what other films has Tom Cruise done in recent years that did much of anything. His days as playing any real character driven roles are over. His best hope are more cookie cutter action movies where the visuals make everyone forget about watching Hollywood's biggest jerk on the big screen. Tom Cruise is too dislikable to be immune from a career collapse. The public has turned its back on big stars many times before and they will do it again.

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud

Uh, TC is under contract to play Jack Reacher in series of movies to be made from the very popular books by Lee Childs.

Bad news, but, that little twerp has some work lined up as soon as he can get to it.

Bringing the cult into the public spotlight is his best work yet !

Mackdown

Patron
Uh, TC is under contract to play Jack Reacher in series of movies to be made from the very popular books by Lee Childs.

Bad news, but, that little twerp has some work lined up as soon as he can get to it.

No guarantee anybody will go see that film. The contract for that was signed before any of the recent stuff happened. With Cruise's history and now his insane behavior and wacko cult back in the news again, people may decide they have just had enough. He better hope these upcoming films don't bomb like the last one did because at this point the public is just waiting for another reason to walk away. There is a high level of hatred for Tom Cruise right now. Especially among women. It could be a long road back to repairing his tattered public image and making hit movies again. He is getting skewered by nearly everyone on all the entertainment blogs now. He's currently the most hated man in Hollywood.

OperatingDonkeyIV

Patron with Honors
From another (out?)point - does it matter? Both have made it very big in tinseltown, don't have anything to prove anymore.

I don't and never will count out Tom, I can imagine him as Ethan pushing 60 years of age.

Mackdown

Patron
From another (out?)point - does it matter? Both have made it very big in tinseltown, don't have anything to prove anymore.

I don't and never will count out Tom, I can imagine him as Ethan pushing 60 years of age.

I think for them it matters very much if their careers and legacy are reduced to a running gag in Hollywood. Ask Michael Jackson and Charlie Sheen how happy living for their past made them.

whoisxenu

Patron with Honors
Cult crazyiness aside, TC is 50 and I think JT is older. Cruise can't play 40 forever.

Neither have the stature of actors who cinematically "aged" well - Cary Grant, Gene Hackman, Jack Nicholson, Morgan Freeman.

JT moved from leads to villains and is still an arguably strong actor in a shared-billing situation.

Cruise wants to continue to be "the man." He can probably keep going a few more years at least via MI etc. and staying in great shape.

But the cult desperately needs new stars and none are on the horizon. I mean, Giovani Ribisi (?) is a good actor but kind of an Edward Norton type and not as good. No lead actors in sight. :no::melodramatic:

Mackdown

Patron
Cult crazyiness aside, TC is 50 and I think JT is older. Cruise can't play 40 forever.

Neither have the stature of actors who cinematically "aged" well - Cary Grant, Gene Hackman, Jack Nicholson, Morgan Freeman.

JT moved from leads to villains and is still an arguably strong actor in a shared-billing situation.

Cruise wants to continue to be "the man." He can probably keep going a few more years at least via MI etc. and staying in great shape.

But the cult desperately needs new stars and none are on the horizon. I mean, Giovani Ribisi (?) is a good actor but kind of an Edward Norton type and not as good. No lead actors in sight. :no::melodramatic:

I can't imagine any rising stars are going to be signing on with Scientology anytime soon. Why would they? The supposed "star studded" lineup is really nothing more than John Travolta, Tom Cruise and a bunch of washed up actors nobody cares about anymore. Anne Archer? LOL. Gimme a break I didn't even know she was still alive until I saw her on a Scientology documentary. Juliette Lewis can't get anything more than bit parts as a slut in a bro-mance comedy, Kirstie Alley is a pathetic washed up basket case who's name invokes laughter more than anything else. Is Beck still even making music? Giovanni Ribisi is about another Scientology scandal or two away from doing extra work. The truth is, Scientology is more of a burden on a young actor's career than anything else and serves to do little more than alienate the audience they're trying to sell to. The best thing Scientology ever had going for it was the the fact most people didn't know much about them. Thats all changing now and it couldn't be a worse turn of events for them.

Mackdown

Patron

I llkkk

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Cruise's career has nothing to do with any other factor than this.

How much box-office do his movies do?

Period.

Right now he is hot again off the worldwide revenues of the latest Mission Impossible blockbuster.

If he starts to bomb regularly, the movies roles won't dry up--just the budgets and he will appear in more modestly budgeted studio films, not commanding his $20M salary and huge profit participation.

If those films tank, he will be relegated to independent films (financed outside the studio) and there is nothing preventing him find finding vehicles that are appropriate for his talent and personna--being surrounded by an outstanding ensemble and helmed by a world-class director.

Hollywood doesn't care about anything other than box-office success and, failing that, secondarily, critical acclaim (i.e. Academy Awards, Golden Globe awards, etc). By way of example, Woody Allen has made films with great regularity which almost never are a box-office winner. His art is driven by words, performances, cinematography and other craft that are not even trying to compete with major studio releases.

If all else fails, there is a starring role in a TV show. It is one of the well-established paths for actors past their prime.

The only other path that has been blazed is politics, but unless Cruise is trying to become mayor of Clearwater or Hemet, there is zero chance that he will not be laughed off the ballot. And he wouldn't even fare well in a tiny, Scientology-controlled venue like CW or Hemet either, so let's just rule the Ronald Reagan Routing Form out.

There is an outside chance that Cruise decides to try his hand at directing, like Clint Eastwood, but no evidence exists yet that he has the talent or vision to do that.

My guess is that his career follows the same trajectory it has been on for quite some time--downward.

Unless he publicly leaves the cult. Then he can go back on Oprah and do a contact assist on those couches.

olska

Silver Meritorious Patron

That is just so wrong. The character, "Jack Reacher," as defined by his creator, the author Lee Childs, is described on Childs' website as follows:

Name: Jack Reacher (no middle name)
Born: October 29th
Measurements: 6'5", 220-250 lbs., 50" chest
Hair: Dirty-blond
Eyes: Ice blue
Clothing: 3XLT coat, 95 cm. pants' inseam

I think it's simply criminal that the producers of the movies, whoever they are, chose the runt Tom Cruise to play the role of this character, and I hope people who liked the books will dress up (on stilts, if necessary) like the REAL Jack Reacher and picket theaters all across the country.

Surely they could have found a male actor more suited to the part?

If they were going to go that far out from the character's physical description, they would have been better off to cast Denzel Washington, who has the sex appeal and the stones to play the part and would probably have been a bigger, better box office draw. Five minutes into the first movie no one would care about the ice-blue eyes and dirty blond hair.

Because of this travesty, I won't be seeing any of the movies, either in theater or on DVD, and I'm sure the Hollywood a-holes dont care. Oh well.

I predict the first of the series will flop so badly in the good old USA that any others actually made will go straight to DVD or to China or to wherever it is on the other side of the world that Cruise's fans hide out. (No doubt some place populated by short people.)

Also I suspect someone had the "bright idea" that Cruise in this character from these books would be a sizzling hit on the order of the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series. Wrong wrong wrong.

olska

Oh, and on the subject of Tom Cruise movies....

He is billed as having the LEAD in the movie Collateral, where he played the evil mobster murderer guy, but that is simply not true, not true.

The LEAD was actually Jamie Foxx, who played the hero who saved the day and got the girl. and turned in a fine performance while he was at it...

Too bad, Foxx didn't get top billing because he was playing LEAD over the SUPPORTING ACTOR Tom Cruise (biggest movie star on the planet, ya know...) who no doubt insisted on top billing, being billed as the lead.

Jamie Foxx, cheers to you for being a gentleman about it, and thanks for the fine performance -- you were believable and real and quite loveable as that character. Cruise sucked.

end of rant

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
That is just so wrong. The character, "Jack Reacher," as defined by his creator, the author Lee Childs, is described on Childs' website as follows:

I think it's simply criminal that the producers of the movies, whoever they are, chose the runt Tom Cruise to play the role of this character, and I hope people who liked the books will dress up (on stilts, if necessary) like the REAL Jack Reacher and picket theaters all across the country.

If they were going to go that far out from the character's physical description, they would have been better off to cast Denzel Washington, who has the sex appeal and the stones to play the part and would probably have been a bigger, better box office draw. Five minutes into the first movie no one would care about the ice-blue eyes and dirty blond hair.

Because of this travesty, I won't be seeing any of the movies, either in theater or on DVD, and I'm sure the Hollywood a-holes dont care. Oh well.

I predict the first of the series will flop so badly in the good old USA that any others actually made will go straight to DVD or to China or to wherever it is on the other side of the world that Cruise's fans hide out. (No doubt some place populated by short people.)

Also I suspect someone had the "bright idea" that Cruise in this character from these books would be a sizzling hit on the order of the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series. Wrong wrong wrong.

Vin Diesel

Mackdown

Patron
Regardless of the direction his career is headed, I won't ever pay for anything with Tom Cruise name attached to it ever again.

Mackdown

Patron
Regardless of the direction his career is headed, I won't ever pay for anything with Tom Cruise name attached to it ever again.

JackStraw

I was going to post about the physical traits of Jack Reacher in contrast to TCs but you beat me to it.

I was going to say he would have to either borrow JTs Terl boots or play with a support cast of Munchkins!:biggrin:

But, I guess using Lord of the Rings/Hobbit movie-making tech, the right production company may be able to pull it off...

Jack

Maria Cuervo

Gold Meritorious Patron

Cruise's career has nothing to do with any other factor than this.

How much box-office do his movies do?

Period.

Right now he is hot again off the worldwide revenues of the latest Mission Impossible blockbuster.

If he starts to bomb regularly, the movies roles won't dry up--just the budgets and he will appear in more modestly budgeted studio films, not commanding his $20M salary and huge profit participation.

If those films tank, he will be relegated to independent films (financed outside the studio) and there is nothing preventing him find finding vehicles that are appropriate for his talent and personna--being surrounded by an outstanding ensemble and helmed by a world-class director.

Hollywood doesn't care about anything other than box-office success and, failing that, secondarily, critical acclaim (i.e. Academy Awards, Golden Globe awards, etc). By way of example, Woody Allen has made films with great regularity which almost never are a box-office winner. His art is driven by words, performances, cinematography and other craft that are not even trying to compete with major studio releases.

If all else fails, there is a starring role in a TV show. It is one of the well-established paths for actors past their prime.

The only other path that has been blazed is politics, but unless Cruise is trying to become mayor of Clearwater or Hemet, there is zero chance that he will not be laughed off the ballot. And he wouldn't even fare well in a tiny, Scientology-controlled venue like CW or Hemet either, so let's just rule the Ronald Reagan Routing Form out.

There is an outside chance that Cruise decides to try his hand at directing, like Clint Eastwood, but no evidence exists yet that he has the talent or vision to do that.

My guess is that his career follows the same trajectory it has been on for quite some time--downward.

Unless he publicly leaves the cult. Then he can go back on Oprah and do a contact assist on those couches.

I recently got the impression that Cruise no longer commands the box-office as he did in former times. Is this just generally due to aging or does the ongoing bad CoS publicity affect that?

Last edited: