The Church of Scientology Opposes The Protect and Serve Act of 2018

Discussion in 'Breaking and Major News about Scientology' started by CommunicatorIC, Jun 15, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. CommunicatorIC

CommunicatorIC @IndieScieNews on Twitter

Introduction: The Protect and Serve Act of 2018 is modeled after a federal hate crime statute and would make it a crime to intentionally target a law enforcement officer based on his "actual or perceived status" as one.

"Its sponsors said in a press release that the proposal is modeled after the federal hate crime law named for murder victims Matthew Shepard, who was targeted for being gay, and James Byrd Jr., who was killed for being black. The Hate Crimes Prevention Act makes it a federal crime to willfully cause bodily injury to someone because of the victim's "actual or perceived" race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability."

The text of The Protect and Serve Act of 2018.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/115/hr5698/text

The Church of Scientology Opposes The Protect and Serve Act of 2018.

Human Rights Watch: Coalition Letter Urging US Congress to Oppose H.R. 5698/S. 2794, the Protect and Serve Act of 2018

https://www.hrw.org/news/2018/05/14...ose-hr-5698/s-2794-protect-and-serve-act-2018

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Coalition Letter Urging US Congress to Oppose H.R. 5698/S. 2794, the Protect and Serve Act of 2018

May 14, 2018

U.S. House of Representatives
    Washington, DC 20515

U.S. Senate
    Washington, DC 20515

RE: Coalition Opposition to H.R. 5698/S. 2794, the Protect and Serve Act of 2018

Dear Members of Congress:

On behalf of the more than 20 undersigned civil rights, civil liberties, faith-based, and government accountability organizations, we write to urge you to oppose H.R. 5698/S. 2794, the Protect and Serve Act of 2018, which creates a new crime for offenses that target law enforcement officers.

First, police already have substantial protections under federal and state law, rendering this bill superfluous. Second, this bill signals that there is a “war on police,” which is not only untrue, but an unhelpful and dangerous narrative to uplift. And finally, bills similar to Protect and Serve that have been introduced in states around the country—so called “Blue Lives Matter” bills—appear to be a political response to the growing national movement for police accountability in the face of continued killings and assaults of unarmed African Americans; therefore, this bill is divisive and will have a negative impact on the relationship between law enforcement and the communities they serve.

I. Federal and state criminal laws already offer ample protection to police officers.

Federal law already has extremely strong penalties for people who commit crimes against law enforcement officers and other public officials. For example, federal laws impose a life sentence or death penalty on persons convicted of first-degree murder of federal employees or officers,[1] killing state and local law enforcement officers or other employees assisting with federal investigations,[2] and killing officers of the U.S. courts.[3] All fifty states have laws that enhance penalties for people who commit offenses against law enforcement officers, including for homicide and assault.[4]

Moreover, there is no record that crimes against law enforcement go unprosecuted or are otherwise treated frivolously. There is no record to suggest that prosecutors are unwilling or unable to charge individuals with crimes against law enforcement. In fact, crimes against police officers are treated as among the most heinous criminal acts, given the high degree of culpability and punishment attached to such crimes.

II. The Protect and Serve Act does not advance any stated policy goals, because law enforcement is not subject to increasing or widespread attacks.

There is no doubt that police work is a dangerous undertaking, but the reality is that there has been a continuing decline in the number of officers killed or assaulted in the line of duty over the last several decades.[5] In the past ten years, the number of officers feloniously killed has fluctuated, yet not significantly increased or decreased,[6] as have ambush-style killings of officers.[7] Given these facts, this bill perpetuates a false narrative that police are under increasing attack by their communities. Such a message is unhelpful and unsupported.

Furthermore, the Protect and Serve Act does nothing to meaningfully improve officer safety and wellness if that is an intended policy goal. For example, it does not call for support services, better training, improved safety measures, increased supervision, or any of the other multiple measures available to law enforcement that are widely accepted as promoting officer safety and wellbeing.[8]

III. The Protect and Serve Act is polarizing and harms community-police relations.

This bill is being contemplated at a time when our country is in the throes of a national policing crisis, with a never-ending stream of police shootings of unarmed African Americans captured on video. Creating a new, yet superfluous, crime for offenses committed against law enforcement is a particularly disconnected and non-responsive policy choice. Unfortunately, the Protect and Serve Act is similar to other “Blue Lives Matter” type bills that create new criminal offenses and penalty enhancements for crimes against police.

Collectively, these policy efforts, which have sprung up amid the national call for police accountability, appear to be a political response to the powerful activism of grassroots movements that demand fair and constitutional policing. Rather than focusing on policies that address issues of police excessive force, biased policing, and other police practices that have failed these communities, the Protect and Serve Act’s aim is to further criminalize. This bill will be received as yet another attack on these communities and threatens to exacerbate what is already a discriminatory system of mass incarceration in this country. Continuing to undermine police-community relations in this manner sows seeds of division, which ultimately threatens public safety and undermines the work of law enforcement.

For the reasons summarized above, we urge you to vote against the Protect and Serve Act as it comes before the U.S. House of Representatives. There is no justification for creating a new crime for offenses committed against law enforcement. At a time when we need to foster healing between law enforcement and our communities, we should not be considering legislation which not only does nothing to advance the goal of officer safety, but will further erode the relationship between police and communities.

Thank you for your consideration of this matter. If you have any questions, please contact Kanya Bennett of the ACLU at 202-715-0808 or kbennett@aclu.org; Sakira Cook of The Leadership Conference at (202) 263- 2894 or cook@civilrights.org; or Sonia Gill Hernandez of the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc.at 202-216-5569 or sgill@naacpldf.org.

Sincerely,

American Civil Liberties Union
    Anti-Defamation League
    Church of Scientology National Affairs Office
    CLASP
    The Daniel Initiative
    Defending Rights & Dissent
    Friends Committee on National Legislation
    Human Rights Watch
    Government Information Watch
    The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights
    NAACP
    NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc.
    National Action Network
    National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
    National Association of Social Workers
    National Center for Transgender Equality
    The National Council for Incarcerated and Formerly Incarcerated Women and Girls
    National Council of Churches
    People for the American Way
    PolicyLink
    Southern Poverty Law Center
    StoptheDrugWar.org

[1] 18 U.S.C. §1114 (1996).
    [2] 18 U.S.C. §1121(a)(1)(1996).
    [3] 18 U.S.C. §1503 (1996).
    [4] See, e.g., Monu Bedi, The Asymmetry of Crimes By and Against Police Officers, 66 Duke L.J. 79 (2017).
    [5] See Radley Balko, Once again: There is no ‘war on cops.’ And those who claim otherwise are playing a dangerous game, Washington Post (Sept. 10, 2015), https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2015/09/10/once-again-t... Martin Kaste, Is There A 'War On Police'? The Statistics Say No, National Public Radio (Sept. 17, 2015), http://www.npr.org/2015/09/17/441196546/is-there-a-war-on-police-the-sta.... Between 2007 and 2016, the number of officers killed in ambush situations were 16, 6, 15, 15, 15, 6, 5, 7, 4, and 17, for each year, respectively. U.S. Dept. of Justice, Law Enforcement Officers Killed & Assaulted, 2007-2016, https://ucr.fbi.gov/ucr-publications.
    [6] Between 2007 and 2016, the FBI reported the number of officers feloniously killed in the U.S. were 58, 41, 48, 56, 72, 49, 27, 51, 41, and 66 for each year, respectively. U.S. Dept. of Justice, 2016 Law Enforcement Officers Killed & Assaulted, https://ucr.fbi.gov/leoka/2016/officers-feloniously-killed/tables/table-.... In 2017, the 44 officers were killed in a fire-arm related incident. Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, Preliminary 2017 Law Enforcement Officer Fatalities Report, http://www.nleomf.org/assets/pdfs/reports/fatality-reports/2017/2017-End....
    [7] Between 2007 and 2016, the number of officers killed in ambush situations were 16, 6, 15, 15, 15, 6, 5, 7, 4, and 17, for each year, respectively. U.S. Dept. of Justice, 2016 Law Enforcement Officers Killed & Assaulted, https://ucr.fbi.gov/leoka/2016/officers-feloniously-killed/tables/table-.... In 2017, 8 officers were killed in an ambush-style attack. Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, Preliminary 2017 Law Enforcement Officer Fatalities Report, http://www.nleomf.org/assets/pdfs/reports/fatality-reports/2017/2017-End....
    [8] See, e.g. President’s Taskforce on 21st Century Policing, Final Report of the President’s Taskforce on 21st Century Policing 61-68 (May 2015), https://cops.usdoj.gov/pdf/taskforce/TaskForce_FinalReport.pdf.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  2. dchoiceisalwaysrs

dchoiceisalwaysrs Gold Meritorious Patron

Is the cult opposing this solely for the purposes of Positioning and Safepointing OR;

Is the cult worried that the armed Security of Scientology may put up a fight against "

(1) LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER.—The term ‘law enforcement officer’ means an employee of a governmental or public agency who is authorized by law—
    “(A) to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, or the investigation of any criminal violation of law

and thus be curtailed in its free reign of terror?

3. TheOriginalBigBlue

TheOriginalBigBlue Gold Meritorious Patron

This letter is full of loaded emotional language and hyperbole consistent with the Black Lives Matter's anti-police agenda. Race conflict and victimization is a multi-million dollar industry in the US and anything that conveys the impression that police are victims conflicts with that message.

I think the COS is obligated to support this because it is part of the co-opting of NOI and their attempt to infiltrate the black community.

In the bigger picture, the main problem with Hate Crime type laws is they lead to arbitrary interpretation and unequal enforcement because they can assume a whole class of people are victims and this conveys to them special rights as a group. For example, what are the statistics that prove non-white crime on white is treated equally to white crime on non-white? If a black person is victimized in a predominantly white neighborhood do we doubt that this would raise charges of racism? But if a white person is victimized in a predominantly black neighborhood do we doubt that this would be dismissed as being in the wrong place at the wrong time?

I think these kinds of laws are extremely tempting but unless you have the technology to know with absolute certainty what a person is thinking, such as with Scientology's use of the e-meter (sarcasm intended), then this is a big step down the path toward Thought Crime. I always thought that crime is crime but people are now being indoctrinated into all these enhancements based on ideology.

I saw a documentary once on the Islamic conquest of Spain and one of the points they made was that the horrors of the Inquisition were the result of a Catholic over-reaction to the extreme brutality of Islam. I guess Hubbard would say, "What you fear you become". In a sense that appears to be what society is becoming today. We no longer live in a world where a crime can be assumed to be a one off thing where a cop is killed just because he pulls over the wrong guy. We are increasingly like those medieval Christians in a world being taken over by groups of people driven by ideology that gives them a mandate to kill and enslave other people. What is the difference between an Islamic terrorist who kills a cop and someone motivated by BLM's anti-police rhetoric? They both feel victimized and justified in what they do based on a belief system. So I perceive these kinds of laws as society's over compensating for an increase in ideology driven crime. I think we will see more of these kinds of laws and eventually we will have to deal with a power structure that doesn't apply them equitably.

My understanding of Marxist revolution is that the goal is to get groups within society competing over special rights which would be dispensed by an increasingly centralized government that arbitrarily decides who gets special rights based on their support for that centralized authority. The primary motivation is to transform society from one that believes in individual rights to one that believes in group rights. Ultimately the governing authority will become Marxist and the power brokers can step in and take it over. If you are a multi-billionaire who wants this kind of transformation then you don't need to believe in or even support the publicly stated goals of these groups, you just need to fund them.

It just so happens that this law falls down on the wrong side of that agenda at this point in time. Once the government becomes fully Marxist then this law and many like them would be in favor.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. ILove2Lurk

ILove2Lurk Lisbeth Salander

. . .
    Why is a "science of the mind" getting involved with political hot potatoes like this?

They've lost the plot. What next? DM taking a knee? :evillaugh:

5. TheOriginalBigBlue

We all know that Scientology co-opts other groups and agenda for PR and Legal Safepointing and to convert their members but increasingly the list of these groups is looking like a who's who of Soros funded activism. With Scientology losing membership and having to double as a real estate holding company to avoid losing their tax exempt status now I have to wonder if they are chasing Soros money and funding from other's of his ilk.

I can now easily imagine Scientology fitting in with this list of Soros groups out of a motivation for money but it would conflict with their attempts to curry favor with Republicans. Still, purely as a political necessity and as a cost of doing business, many businesses play both Democrats and Republicans to hedge their bets.

http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/viewSubCategory.asp?id=1237
    The upper portion of this page is devoted to organizations that are funded directly by George Soros and his Open Society Foundations (OSF). The lower portion of the page focuses on organizations which do not receive direct funding from Soros and OSF, but which receive money from one or more groups that do get direct OSF funding.
    --------------------------------------
    Organizations Funded Directly by George Soros and his Open Society Foundations
    By Discover The Networks

Organizations that, in recent years, have received direct funding and assistance from George Soros and his Open Society Foundations (OSF) include the following. (Comprehensive profiles of each are available in the "Groups" section of DiscoverTheNetworks.org):

(See List)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • List
  6. J. Swift

J. Swift Patron with Honors

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  7. dchoiceisalwaysrs

Aux contraire. This has to do with the purpose of Super Power, and the goal of the scientology 'National Governmental Office' , a beefed up wing of OSA to make scientology policy the policy of the Government.

Scientologists are now running for government offices and the Operation Z or Zone control is still pushed extremely strong by various arms of scientology.

I made a comment over on the Bunker in regards how the end runs around the Legislative and Executive branches are being done by the excessive legal power that Scientology is yielding in the Judicial system. AmmoAlamo mentioned that the Labour Department as well as the IRS are not taking on the Scientology anti-social, anti-law, anti-Constitutional behaviour of the cult because of the legal effort and financial costs..... I see this a absolute evidence of scientology effectively having its ORGs say what is law.

The German government gets this extremely well. Meanwhile the USA government is either sleeping, in cahoots, or already given into this.
    I find it terrifying as it trending towards fascist scientological overtaking of our countries.

Now how much these few evidences are any true indication of scientology achieving its taking over of governments I really don't know, but I think it deserves more exposure at the very least.

I think the HCO PL OT ORGS is very pertinent to all this wherein it states that paraphrasing, 'the key is to pour the coal on the purpose while at the same time as handling the attacks.'

I very much see scientology, especially anything to do with OSA as treasonous to any and all countries in which it operates.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  8. CommunicatorIC

CommunicatorIC @IndieScieNews on Twitter

Thank you for posting your article and giving credit to my nom de twitter, @IndieScieNews. Your article also reminded me that I should link to the actual text of the proposed Act, which I have now done.

If you see this, do you have any opinion on my theory that the Church of Scientology opposed The Protect and Serve Act of 2018 at the behest of and/or to please the Nation of Islam?

9. dchoiceisalwaysrs

This putting others, professions, subject matter et al is rampant throughout hubbard's recorded lectures. I see it now as simply part of his disturbed behaviour of malevolent megalomania to both lessen the value of others, stating a problem and then offering his solution, and thus increasing his rise to the top above all others.

10. Karen#1

Karen#1 Gold Meritorious Patron

• In this short 2 min video Hubbard is calling cops "merchants of chaos" and denigrates and disparages them.
    • In real live Scientology Inc crave to be photographed with cops for "PR reasons"

I wish I could post this video in some Police forums and blogs....have to search to find them

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  11. Enthetan

Enthetan Master of Disaster

Oh, definitely. I don't see any purpose other then to curry favor with Nation of Islam and allied groups. Perhaps also to get grant money from certain entities, as was noted up-thread.

12. TheOriginalBigBlue

Can you imagine a version of a Scientology 'Dead Agent" pack with all the anti police and government LRH references? The instructions to the GO on Fair Gaming and manipulating the legal system, the references on replacing government with Scientology, LRH's talking about how he was in with the police and intelligence agencies, Freedom Mags screeds on Interpol, COINTELPRO and MKUltra, Safepointing tech and drills for lying to the press and authorities. Court decisions and quotes by judges who gained unique insight into Scientology by handling their cases. The whole track woo diatribes on alien intergalactic governments and how Ron's personal experience with these help formulate Church policy and attitudes towards governmental agencies today, the Fabian policy, The sec-check questions to determine if Scientologists have connections to anyone in the government or law enforcement.

I suspect the police's own PR departments are almost obligated to participate in these photo ops but back at the office it would be like, "Hey guys, here I am with the UFO Doomsday cult that is taking over the world".

13. TheOriginalBigBlue

This.

14. TheOriginalBigBlue

...and this:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/06/16/officers-killed-in-line-duty-in-2018.html

Since the start of 2018, at least 45 law enforcement officers across the U.S. have died while on duty -- with 27 of the deaths caused by gunfire.

Roughly 135 cops died in 2016, making it the deadliest year for police officers in at least five years, Fox News has found. While there were fewer deaths in 2017, the numbers weren’t much better: A total of 129 officers died last year. And 46 of those were caused by gunfire.

Read on for a look at officers who have died in the line of duty so far this year.
    (snipped)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List