The day the POWER went out at CLO EUS.

Discussion in 'Stories From Inside Scientology' started by Mest Lover, Mar 3, 2010.

View Users: View Users
  1. Mest Lover

Mest Lover Not Sea Org Qualified

This was about 1990 I think, maybe 1989.

The electric bill was so behind that the power company issued a warning that on a particular date the power would be shut off.

The bill still wasn't paid on that date.

I was told to not let the power company into the building.
    I was told to lock the doors.

That, of course, didn't help, and eventually cost more to fix in many many ways.

The power company opened the manhole in front of CLO EUS and dropped in with chainsaws and cut the cable coming into the building.

OUT WENT THE LIGHTS!

James Rogies (Estates Chief CLO EUS) went to a hardware store or rental company and got 2 generators. One they hauled up to the roof to power the top floors, the other I think they brought up to the side roof as I remember.

They powered up the building for a few days, maybe a week until the bill got paid and the cable fixed.

One side effect was that the generators didn't put out the right kind of power for the computer system in the closet.

Thick black smoke was pouring out of the closet and into the hallway. Not quite a fire, it was found soon enough, but the power surge protector for the computer system was toast!

2. Wisened One

Wisened One Crusader

:laugh:

Too funny the things they do, huh?

Our org had several emergencies like that. The power was never shut off while I was there (if I remember correctly).
    But I have distinct memories of Leona Grimm talking to us at musters about how we had so many hours to 'find'
    the money for the electric bill due to be shut off THAT DAY. Guess the Reges bled their favorite public's veins
    just in time..

3. Mystic

Mystic Banned

Sounds like standard operating boohooclam OT procedure.

4. Operating Wog

Operating Wog Patron with Honors

The part about the cutting of the cable with a chainsaw is hard to swallow. The rest sounds par for the course.

5. Mest Lover

That's what I am thinking also actually but that is what I remember it as. I am wondering though if they used some kind of circular saw that looked like a chainsaw. I remember being sent to the basement previous to this to see what they might do and try to figure a way around it if they flipped a switch in there. I don't think anyone thought they would cut the cable in the manhole. I certainly didn't think that at the time.

6. rickglass

rickglass Patron

Talking from the experience of being the son of a DPW electrician up here in MA, they probably used what is known as a gas-powered rotary cutoff saw. It works just like a chainsaw, only uses a thin fiber or metal wheel to cut through, well, ANYTHING. Stone, wood, steel, electrical cable, concrete, etc.

I love the CLO building, they never keep the doors locked and anons revel in the joy of ruining the day of whoever's at the front desk by opening the door and saying horrible things at tone 40.

7. Mest Lover

I am the one responsible for the marble facade. That is another interesting story for the renos section i am thinking about for later posts.

8. rickglass

rickglass Patron

They're not taking good care of it :/

9. Mest Lover

I was assigned to research and purchasing of the marble facade. I was told by every contractor I went to not to use marble. They mentioned how porous it was and it succumbs to acid rain, graffiti, and other city problems. However, I was ordered to find a marble that had absolutely no gray in it and fit the budget! All the contractors I talked to wanted me to use Granite instead of marble. I brought this up, but was ordered to get marble.

The marble I found was "crema delicatta" and had a reveal of a reddish marble behind.

I was assured by the renos mission that a sealant would be applied to the facade and the reception floor tiles, but after the renos was finished none of that happened.

I have lots of other details to that and more renos stories but, for crying out loud, I can't imagine how to get the details of what happened out of my memory yet.

It was rather retched and disgusting and furthermore S.O. SOP.

Someday... I am free now, just don't have the words to describe it in place yet.

10. Enthetan

Enthetan Mutant

Yes, SOP seems to be to follow the orders without inserting any intelligence, and if it's going to be a disaster a year down the road, well that's somebody else's problem. It's hard enough to get anybody to look past next Thursday at 2:00, let alone next year.

I remember the NY Org building. They were always having to lay down paint on the floor of the stairwells, and naturally the foot traffic would wear away the paint within a week or so. Finally the Estates Manager took a look at what was under the paint and realized it was beautiful slate, so he stripped all the paint of the floor and left the slate.

11. Lurker5

Lurker5 Gold Meritorious Patron

MOAR

Moar stories Mest Lover - MOAR !

Great thread and posts :thumbsup:

12. AnonyMary

AnonyMary Formerly Fooled - Finally Free

Mestlover, they have continuously had trouble paying their Con Edison Electric bill and have been sued on multiple occasions by them to force the courts to return their electric boxes and cut them off. The NY church can't even afford an attorney for these matters, either. ( The current lawsuit is against Scn Religious Trust as holder of title to the building now).

The current lawsuit is still active, despite the church scraping up enough money to have avoided previous legal attempts, which go back a long time. Same thing with NY Celebrity Center.

Court: New York County Civil Court
    Index Number: RE-400416-06/NY
    Case Name: CONSOLIDATED EDISON COMPANY OF NEW YORK INC
    vs.
    THE CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGYRELIGIOUS TRUST
    Active - Pending Further Review
    Case Type: Replevin
    Classification: General
    Filing Date: 03/27/2006
    Disposition Date:
    Calendar Number:
    Jury Demand: No
    Judge Name:

Attorney/Firm(s) For Plaintiff - CONSOLIDATED EDISON COMPANY OF NEW YORK INC:
    RICHARD W. BABINECZ Attorney Type: Firm
    4 IRVING PLACE
    New York, New York 10003

Attorney/Firm(s) For Defendent:
    THE CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGYRELIGIOUS TRUST -
    -----------------

Index Number: RE-050647-04/NY
    vs.
    THE CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGYRELIGIOUS TRUST
    Disposed
    Filing Date: 09/10/2004
    Disposition Date: 06/06/2008
    Calendar Number:
    Judge Name:

4 IRVING PLACE
    New York, New York 10003

Attorney/Firm(s) For Defendant - THE CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGYRELIGIOUS TRUST:

------------------

Index Number: RE-400612-05/NY
    vs.
    CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY OF NEW YORK
    Disposed
    Filing Date: 04/25/2005
    Calendar Number:
    Judge Name:

4 IRVING PLACE
    New York, New York 10003

Attorney/Firm(s) For Defendant - CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY OF NEW YORK:
    ----------------------
    Index Number: RE-001223-99/NY
    vs.
    CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY OF NY

Filing Date: 08/25/1999
    Calendar Number:
    Judge Name:

4 IRVING PLACE
    New York, New York 10003

Attorney/Firm(s) For Defendant - CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY OF NY:

----------------

Index Number: RE-401523-07/NY
    vs.
    CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY CELEBRITY CENTER
    Active
    Filing Date: 11/07/2007
    Disposition Date:
    Calendar Number:
    Judge Name:

ROBERT L. LEWIS Attorney Type: Attorney
    312 WEST 71ST STREET
    New York, New York 10023

Attorney/Firm(s) For Defendant - CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY CELEBRITY CENTER: -
    -----------------

Replevin
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In creditors' rights law, replevin, sometimes known as "claim and delivery," is a legal remedy for a person to recover goods unlawfully withheld from his or her possession, by means of a special form of legal process in which a court may require a defendant to return specific goods to the plaintiff at the outset of the action (i.e. before judgment). In other situations, a party seeking relief may elect to adjudicate the right to possession prior to obtaining immediate relief to obtain the property in question. In such cases, replevin actions are still designed to afford the petitioning party a relatively speedy process for obtaining judgment, as compared to typical lawsuits. The summary remedy afforded by replevin statutes can be thwarted by defendants who contest the claimant's right to possession, by contesting the plaintiff's complaint, and insisting on traditional litigation involving discovery, and in some cases, trial by jury.

Replevin actions are often filed by secured creditors seeking to take possession of collateral securing loans or other debt instruments, such as retail installment contracts. A common example is where an automobile finance company initiates a replevin action to gain possession of a vehicle, following payment default. Replevin actions are usually employed when the lender cannot find the collateral, or cannot peacefully obtain it through self-help repossession. Replevin actions may also be pursued by true owners of property, e.g., consignors seeking return of consigned property that the party in possession will not relinquish for one reason or another.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replevin

13. Operating Wog

Operating Wog Patron with Honors

In Boston once, we didn't pay the gas bill and our gas got cut off. They actually went into the boiler room in the basement, shut off the valve and put a padlock on it. Rick Hickey, the D of P at that time, decided he needed heat in the auditing rooms, so got a bolt cutter, cut off the padlock and turned the gas back on. :)

14. R6Basic

R6Basic Patron Meritorious

lol, I can remember many times stalling the electric company rep. while the ED ran around trying to push an emergency check thru FP. My wife can remember two times when it actually went off. she said we were told to lie about it. We were just a mission, it's good to hear that Orgs and the mighty CLO also had this problem. :)

15. Mest Lover

That was funny.

It's funny how CLO EUS couldn't pay its bills on time.
    Rarely paid the S.O. members their $30.00 per week in order to pay what bills they did pay.

Yet, after renos on Sunday was a big ice cream party made with pints and pints of Ben & Jerry's ice cream, and fruit and whip cream etc.

If I am sounding a bit upset here on this its because I was usually never invited due to being on post. I bought my own cherry garcia or chunky monkey with whatever pay I got whenever they paid me.

I am wondering how much all the cleaning supplies and the party rang up to every week, free labor helps I guess.

16. crm1978

crm1978 Patron with Honors

What a story I bet they spent more on the generator then it cost to pay the bill. Got to love that LRH managment tech it does such a good job of running an org .It seems like they have such a hard time dealing with the real world for many reasons .First they have the delusion that LRH had the answers to all problems even when the mest in front of them contradicts that view. Another thing is that they think that "postulating" something makes it so Try jumping off a bridge postulating that because you did OT 8 gravity does'nt exist (Hint bring a parachute) Reminds me of Larry Woodcraft telling the renovation people for the freewinds about the asbestos and their reaction that LRH policy did'nt say anything about the danger so Larry did'nt know what he was talking about even though he had education in navel architecture .Hubbard had a little knowledge about a lot of things but felt like he was an expert in everything so Scientology is a mix of his nutty ideas and beliefs a little superficial understanding of science and a whole lot of oversized ego !

17. Freeminds

Freeminds Bitter defrocked apostate

Long before they got cladding on their building, they already had a fa├žade.

Word Clearing...

Noun:
    The face of a building, especially the principal front that looks onto a street or open space.

Figurative:
    An outward appearance that is maintained to conceal a less pleasant or creditable reality.

:yes:

18. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket Gold Meritorious Patron

A number of years back, in NY Org, they built auditing rooms with insulation between the rooms.

Now there are two ways you can insulate rooms from each other. One way is thermally, so that heat doesn't escape, the other is acoustically (soundproofing). I think whoever was in charge of insulating did it the wrong way, because you could hear what was going on in one room from another.

Helena

19. GreyLensman

GreyLensman Silver Meritorious Patron

They probably stuffed fiberglas between the studs of the wall and then put a single layer of drywall. That's what amateurs do...

A sound deadening wall can be made by framing 2x6 on the floor and ceiling, then staggering 2x4 vertical studs so neither wall touches each other except at the 2x6 plate, each side having its own supporting studs, then fill with fiberglass, and drywall with two layers on each side, four total, both taped and coated.

I've never seen Scientology renos done at a pro level. They are always, always certain, especially at Sea Org level, that they know better. They grab data from (out of their ass) the whole track.

20. Infinite

Infinite Crusader

Having been involved in such activities, I can also vouch for the chainsaw/grinder gizmo, although its usually a last resort. The easiest way to disconnect a customer from their electricity supply is to disable the internal switchboard and/or remove the outside pole-fuse. Slicing the cable is not actually a necessary procedure and is usually only carried out when access to a building is dangerous or otherwise impractical. The segment of cable to be sliced is, under ideal circumstance, isolated. Oh, yeah . . . a cable/slice is also done to particularly annoying customers because it costs them a lot more to get fixed. Plus, their supply contact may also insist on designated electricians to do the job. WIN-WIN for the power company; and so much for Scientologists knowing how to know how to pay the bill.