The long term effects of scientology on children

Discussion in 'Life After Scientology' started by Free to shine, Jul 15, 2012.

View Users: View Users
  1. Free to shine

Free to shine Shiny & Free

The recent attention on the upbringing of children within scientology motivated me to try and define the areas where they can be most affected. I am somewhat limited in this as I experienced it myself, and to this day am still peeling the layers and finding those hidden concepts that warp one’s outlook. It would be helpful to me and to many others to have input on this.

I think the greatest impact on a child is the area of self esteem. Here’s a nice reference :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-esteem

There are many things that go to build self esteem, and many ways that scientology puts a roadblock in the way.

The areas that come to mind:
    1. Being sick or ill
    2. Stats
    3. Lack of individuality, group dynamics
    4. Study
    5. Family dynamics and love
    6. Past life justifications

I'd like some help, if you can.....

2. degraded being

degraded being Sponsor

You already have "past life justifications", but "this life" justifications are part of it.
    Being made responsible for causing things that you did not cause ("pulling things in").

Being treated as an adult. This can be when they have both physically and psychologically not developed to do/be what is expected. I am talking here about brain development and social development not being adequate yet for the adult-like being they are assumed to be.

3. sallydannce

sallydannce Gold Meritorious Patron

I wonder about the issue of trusting the outside world. By this I mean that the "us and them" mentality. The constant under-current of "we have the best answers, they are just wogs". The outside world is to be regarded with suspicion - at best with mild contempt, at worst with complete disregard and disdain.

A child cannot integrate in a healthy way into life if they are raised to hold the outside world as either dangerous or inferior.

I saw scientology raised children who held a very condescending attitude to anyone that was not "in" scientology. Yes they were polite, yes they were pleasant but if you stepped back, these youngsters did not trust outsiders to be of any true value.

That extended out leaves the child with limited options as they enter adulthood. University professors are held in contempt; medicos - well let's not even go there; non-scientologists are to be held as potential trouble sources as "they" don't have the answers to life (the tech). Therefore the child/young adult makes limiting decisions and often remains well within the confines of the mentally controlling system. They join the SO, they join general staff, they work only for other scientologists - they can't truly trust the outside world.

Just some thoughts rattling round in my head.

4. Free to shine

I'm going to do a series of blog articles and tie in with real life experiences I know of. The thing is that the whole subject is complex and clouded for me, so I really appreciate the kickstart Sally and DB. :) As I do this I'll post the articles here too.
    :thankyou:

5. Sharone Stainforth

Sharone Stainforth Silver Meritorious Patron

I worry about the ingrained phobia that all psychiatry is to be avoided, even when a child needs help, that only scientology counseling on the e-meter is the way to deal with mental health.

The e-meter as many children have found out for themselves is a sham, I am not the only one to have said this.

Contrary to statements made by Scientologists that do e-metered counseling, I believe this contraption adds to the psychological damage imposed on children by getting them to believe this is the only way.

All psychiatrists are not the bogey men that scientology children are lead to believe and they are lead to believe this.After seeing a psychiatrist at the age of 15, having tried to end my life, it was with the psychiatrists help that I was able to start putting my life back together.What I still failed to realise was I could have done with a lot more of his help at that time, but still with this dreadful fear of psychiatry instilled in me and a lack of trust, I opted not to.

On reflection, I do believe it would have been invaluable and saved much ill health and heartbreak later on.

6. Sharone Stainforth

Sharone Stainforth Silver Meritorious Patron

Great idea, Free to Shine.

7. The long term effects of Scientology on children, are probably about the same as the long term effects of growing up in North Korea is on children.

Except they see Kim Jong-il creepy image in their nightmares instead of L. Ron Hubbard's creepy image in their nightmares.

8. I told you I was trouble

I told you I was trouble Suspended animation

Emotional response if certainly frowned upon (unless it's above a certain point on the silly tone scale) so grief (for example) needs to be done and dusted as fast as possible as do all the other emotions that are unacceptable to the cult.

Also, a child that has parents that are cultic must put enormous pressure on the child in many subtle ways (with normal friends etc or the lack of them).

:nervous:

9. Wants2Talk

Wants2Talk Silver Meritorious Patron

Hubbard supplants your Daddy and your heavenly Father.

10. Nicole

Nicole Silver Meritorious Patron

Great idea, FTS...

I believe writing a blog about this topic in English is very useful... On my German blog about childhood in Scientology, I had lots of traffic the last days. :happydance:

Hmmm, I believe the points you and the other persons here in this thread have made are very good. Scientology children and later adults are having less self esteem, I can see it on myself. It is a every day fight for me, not to say only "yes", to say what I want to say and to do the things I want.

I also believe the whole TRs used on kids are build to destroy the self esteem. Today are used "different" ones for kids, but I believe it makes the same with the kids. Kids are learning there to put themselves back. They are learning to say "Yes Sir" and not to think for themselves. The self esteem gets destroyed during this "training".

I have so much to say or write about it, but it is too difficult for me in English... So I will go on to write my blog in German... ;)

I need a little bit applause for the good stats on my blog. :clap: :wink2:

Attached Files:

11. MrNobody

MrNobody Who needs merits?

I may slightly disagree with the statement "Emotional response is certainly frowned upon" - what else is it when people sacrifice their homes and their families just to reach the next OT level or whatever? To me that's most certainly an emotional response to the applied manipulation techniques, no?

So if (some sets of) emotional responses are frowned upon, it's not all of them - only the ones that are inconvenient for the cult. For example: Leaving one's spouse to join the Sea org is just a simple emotional response, I'd say. Seen from a rational point of view, it would help mankind more to keep a well-payed job (and a happy family) and donate 1/2 of the net income to a good cause of one's choice, than milling away for cents/hour in the SO.

Indeed, that's just another emotional trauma.

12. MrNobody

Whom should we applaud to? You or Suri? ;)

Well, you've improved your blog quite a bit over the past months ,so :clap: :clap: :clap: :coolwink:

13. Nicole

Nicole Silver Meritorious Patron

Hmmm, all the Ex Scientology Kids, that leave the mindtrap and never have gone back. Even if it is sometimes difficult.

Na, it wasn't the first time I had good stats, but now it was amazing thx to Suri and Katie. ...and yes you have seen my beginning, where I started with 11 views each day...
    as you can see in the Attachments... I am proud about my little blog.

And thx for your support MrN. You helped me to make a better blog.

But this thread shouldn't be about my blog. I only wanted to show how the interest in this specialized topic of Scientology can be and that imo the English speakers "need" such a blog.

Attached Files:

14. MrNobody

I've just pointed out a few typos in your blog (and could point out a few more if I weren't so lazy), the rest of your blog is your work.

OK now let's stop derailing this thread, shall we? (no reply needed on that one) :coolwink:

15. Purple Rain

Purple Rain Crusader

I think the neglect, and the fact that your parents will always put you second. Your needs are not important to the two people in the world that most others can expect to be the MOST important to.

So the constant message you are getting is "You are not important." I will meet the bare minimum required to keep you alive but anything else is secondary to what the group needs. "If we can get away from post for your solo in the school concert - great - otherwise stop being such a baby. You've blown up planets before".

There will be no money there to help you go to university or get married or anything left behind once you die. Scientology has our love. Scientology has our attention. Scientology must always be fed and cared for.

16. Free to shine

Can I quote some of that in my article? :)

17. Purple Rain

Purple Rain Crusader

Yes, of course. To my shame, that is the sort of thing that my children suffered once I joined Scientology.

:sad:

18. Daisy

Daisy Patron with Honors

Yes, being on the end of not giving my children sympathy, like it was a bad thing. Being a cold robot with my emotions. Instead of being a mom with lots of hugs and kisses when it was most needed, holding back.

My greatest regret of being in this cult.

19. Kutta

Kutta Silver Meritorious Patron

^^^^

Mine too.

I have nightmarish memories of the time of separation from my kids when I was in the SO. I left when I saw with my own eyes that the SO life was making my daughter trend towards being psychotic.

She and her brother had experienced a loving close family life with friends and extended family always around, lots of fun, laughter, togetherness, lovely wog sanity. They were about 7 ad 9 when we got 'in'. Being suddenly deprived of that was shocking on all levels. They were 12 and 14 when we left.

Thank god that at least we got them out of there, and they have steered clear of anything resembling a cult since then. I think my daughter still has some issues from that time, though she has dealt with many. Btw, my darling red-headed daughter was 45 yrs old last week!

20. degraded being

degraded being Sponsor

From what I've read I'd guess some kids brought up in the SO would find the word "abandonment" most accurate, and others might use "neglect".