What's new

The Power of Now - Eckhart Tolle

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
Eckhart Tolle is well worth reading, whatever work of his you pick up. I haven't finished the book I have of his (on his recommendation), because I too have to put it down to digest. I don't contemplate, I just read it for about five minutes, and then go live my life for a few years. Then I come back to it. It's very liberating work, if not particularly practical in terms of exercises.

Mary

Patron with Honors
:) Thanks for the reccommendation guys. I just ordered it from Amazon.com. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Minuet #1 in G

Patron with Honors
I have found the greatest value of this site for me to be the alternatives paths which others have found and have talked about. I have read Tolle's book also on recommendation from Emma. This has taken me down a whole new path of discovery. The discussions of ego-less state by David Graham on his mate series of posts was the first exposure I had to this idea. Losing the hope that scientology provided for me when I realised it was not the path I was looking for was a real blow. But discovering such a wealth of knowledge outside scn has rekindled my own personal quest and search that I was on before I contacted scio. Now I think it is possible again to myself succeed in this search.

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
I have found the greatest value of this site for me to be the alternatives paths which others have found and have talked about. I have read Tolle's book also on recommendation from Emma. This has taken me down a whole new path of discovery. The discussions of ego-less state by David Graham on his mate series of posts was the first exposure I had to this idea. Losing the hope that scientology provided for me when I realised it was not the path I was looking for was a real blow. But discovering such a wealth of knowledge outside scn has rekindled my own personal quest and search that I was on before I contacted scio. Now I think it is possible again to myself succeed in this search.

Hooray! :happydance:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Thankyou PAB! That was just what I needed to watch this morning. To me he embodies serenity, that elusive state we sought through Scn. :)

It might be a good idea to post these videos in the video section as well for quick reference.

PirateAndBum

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thankyou PAB! That was just what I needed to watch this morning. To me he embodies serenity, that elusive state we sought through Scn. :)

It might be a good idea to post these videos in the video section as well for quick reference.

Yes, I love listening to him. Oprah is running a 10 week course with Eckhart - it is free. It started last Monday. http://www.oprah.com

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
"Being in the Now wouldn't have helped in either of those situations" because you believe it wouldn't! This is meant with tenderness, I do understand, but it isn't that simple, because you believe it is complicated.

If the tech helps you, then great! But do look to see if the tech could be contributing in any way to your idea that the level of charge and misemotion was too great.

What happened to get you out of those two "case states"?

If you like the idea of balance between two opposites, you could try holistic releasing described briefly below.

When one is really "in" heavy emotion it is natural to want to change it or get rid of it. What works really well is just letting it be, just accepting and welcoming the emotion.

Holistic releasing works like this: Allow the emotion, welcome it and try not to resist it. Ask yourself what the opposite emotion would be and then see if you can allow the opposite emotion to be there just as much or as little as it is. Then see if you can allow the first emotion to be as strong as it is, then allow the opposite to be as strong as it is right now. Backwards and forwards and you may find the opposite emotions discharge against each other and you will feel released.

If you want to use the tech, is there any part of it you can use in those situations that you find works?

Thanks a lot for that one, I'll try that. I'm always on the lookout for processes which I can learn and use on my own.

I should probably start a new thread for this, but I've been using Byron Katie's book "Loving What Is" to get rid of unwanted beliefs, and there used to be a woman in Edmonton (where a friend of mine lives) called Wendy Sobieski who used to use The Power of Now along side Byron Katie's book but I haven't seen her website for some time now.

Snuffy

Patron Meritorious
Finished PON about a week ago and immersed in New Earth. Ekhart is awakening me in deeper and more profound ways than 9 years of Scn ever did. Also watching his courses on Oprah's site. Great stuff. Truly, truly great stuff.

Wisened One

Crusader
Finished PON about a week ago and immersed in New Earth.
Ekhart is awakening me in deeper and more profound ways than 9 years of Scn ever did. Also watching his courses on Oprah's site. Great stuff. Truly, truly great stuff.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Isn't A New Earth AWESOME? :yes:

Each time I STILL read/listen to that book, I walk away soooo 'peaceful'..there is SOMETHING to that book!

Tom of Helatrobus

Patron Meritorious
I read, "Practicing the Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle. It was alright. I've read a lot of books on Buddhism and it was pretty consistant with that.

My suggestions of "existentalist" heavy hitter books:

1. Zen Mind Beginners Mind - Shunryu Suzuki (the best book on zen ever)
2. How to See Your Self as You Really Are - Dalai Lama (the real thing)
3. Meister Eckhart - From Whom God Hid Nothing (what we should have been taught in Catholic school)
4. Jesus and the Lost Goddess - Timothy Freke, Peter Gandy (the gnostic mysteries revealed - finding the Christ in you)
5. The Road - Cormac MacCarthy (existential angst on steriods)

Pixie

Crusader
Wonderful wonderful stuff. Thank you so much for posting these videos. I did read Ekharts books a few years back, however, I was still 'applying' tech to my life. This prooves for me, that deep down I felt this 'other tech' unworkable on a subconcsious level therefore didn't really digest it. Part of me even felt like I was 'squirreling' while reading these books even though I'd been out a few years at that point. So, back to my bookcase to re read again. Thank you for the reminder.

Snuffy

Patron Meritorious
When I first started reading Tolle, I thought his claim that reading the book would bring about a spiritual enlightenment a bit hard to swallow, probably because of LRH's outlandish claims. Now, two days after having finished it, I realize that my understanding of life has completely changed.

I'm also two weeks into Centerpointe's Holosync program, and the two together work perfectly.

Snuffy

Patron Meritorious
And I'm three episodes into his ten-week course on Oprah's site. Each time I come away from those, I feel calm and serene, and my threshold for life's stress rises each day.

Wisened One

Crusader
:thumbsup: Snuffy: Cool on reading and enjoying PON!

Start on A New Earth, next! :yes:

And we've been using Holosync for a few months now...working so well, that we've taken a break for past month or so....we're mid-Awakening Level 1.

Great stuff tho, isn't it?:happydance:

Snuffy

Patron Meritorious
:thumbsup: Snuffy: Cool on reading and enjoying PON!

Start on A New Earth, next! :yes:

And we've been using Holosync for a few months now...working so well, that we've taken a break for past month or so....we're mid-Awakening Level 1.

Great stuff tho, isn't it?:happydance:

Finished New Earth a few days ago, and will probably read it again. Just moved on to incorporating Immersion into my daily routine. All of this, Eckhart and Holosync, works together in amazing ways.

Good to know there are others catching the same vibe. :coolwink:

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
I read, "Practicing the Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle. It was alright. I've read a lot of books on Buddhism and it was pretty consistant with that.

3. Meister Eckhart - From Whom God Hid Nothing (what we should have been taught in Catholic school)
4. Jesus and the Lost Goddess - Timothy Freke, Peter Gandy (the gnostic mysteries revealed - finding the Christ in you)

Zen Mind Beginner's Mind is the best book on Zen ever!

I first bought that book when I was 18 years old. And whenever I opened it up to read it, it made no sense to me. The pages could have been written in Greek for all it did for me. At that time, I was practicing TM, and what he was saying did not connect with anything in my experience.

I picked the book up from time to time over the next 20 years, and...nothin'.

So then I get out of Scientology and decide I need a little trance fix, so I decide to try Zen Zazen. After doing it for a few weeks, I finally picked up Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind again and POW!

It was the best book ever!

Many questions I had all throughout Scientology which never got answered, got answered doing zazen and reading that book.

I agree, Tom!

Quite the Helotrobin insight!

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
I like "Zen Flesh, Zen Bones" by Paul Reps as well, also anything by Philip Kapleau.

I've also heard good things about Brad Warner's "Sit down and shut up" (or something like that).

Neo

Silver Meritorious Patron

Thanks for this list, Tom.

After spending 5 years in Co$ I had forgotten just how much knowledge is available. Now, just gotta find the time to read :whistling: