Tone Scale - fatal flaw in it?

Discussion in 'Scientology Technology' started by scooter, Apr 13, 2012.

View Users: View Users
  1. LA SCN

LA SCN NOT drinking the kool-aid

Sounds true to me. I have seen things and heard things that are so aesthetic and uplifting that I have tears rolling. I think, wtf?

To me, emotion is associated with thought; one can have many thoughts comprising a certain event. In fact I think the benefit of abreactive/dianetic therapy is the rediscovery of all ones' thoughts that comprised an incident and ending cycle on them, especially the thought(s) in which one postulated.

2. grygrmr

grygrmr Patron

The actual fatal flaw in it is that it was invented by Hubbard and has no basis in actual fact. But, it has it's merits for use in controlling individuals who are in Scientology. You can take that to the bank coming from someone who was a practicing Scientologist for over 30 years and has done practically the whole "bridge" on both sides. Go read a good book. You'll learn much more from it than trying to figure out what was written by a lunatic.

3. LA SCN

LA SCN NOT drinking the kool-aid

OMFG...ROTFL :hysterical:

4. GreyLensman

GreyLensman Silver Meritorious Patron

That is why it persists at all.

We are busy see it as it is, and it is getting a bit transparent already.

5. Patricio Da Silva

Patricio Da Silva New Member

In my view, the tone scale is flawed. For one thing, emotions are not on a totem pole, they are horizontal.

"Anger" is not higher, nor lower, necessarily than "enthusiasm". It's just degrees of pleasant to unpleasant, it's a horizontal scale, that's all. That's really all it is, in my view.

If you have a child who is about to stick his finger in a electrical socket, a little anger on your part might be necessary, and I don't buy this idea that all anger is bad. It all depends if you are in control, or if anger is controlling you. if a child is angry because the child didn't get his way, that's probably not so good, but he'll get through it, it's part of life. If it is controlling you, it's not a good thing, but if you are in control, and use it for a positive end in a constructive way, it's a good thing.

Same is true of all the emotions, there is a positive side and negative side to all of them. Moreover, there are emotions that are not on the scale, which doesn't make sense, since they are so obvious.
    Anger is there, but what about rage? It's anger but more intense, and I could go on, such as 'love' and 'depressed' , etc., if I take a minute to look at what else is missing.

There only "scale" if you want to call it that, noting that the plane is horizontal, not vertical ( since vertical implies one is higher than another, and I just don't see it ) are degrees of pleasantness to unpleasant.

There's good and bad unpleasantness. Taking heroin makes you feel good, but the pleasant feeling is not a good thing, is it? Kicking heroin is very unpleasant, but it's a good thing right?

That's the point, the tone scale is not on a totem pole. The number values are completely arbitrary and the entire thing, though seemingly logical, is basically one man's opinion. Moreover, "death" is not an emotion and things like "needing bodies" is not even worth arguing about. I say ignore this "tech" item.

Like many things in Scientology, the tone scale is an item they use to control you, stigmatizing the unpleasant emotions. This might lead to one repressing one's feelings, and that is not a good thing.