Upstat, downstat and the corporate life

Discussion in 'Evaluating and Criticising Scientology' started by Karakorum, May 17, 2019.

View Users: View Users
  1. Karakorum

Karakorum supressively sensible

Looking back, one of the elements of lingo and the mindset behind it which stayed with me for the longest period of time was the upstat/downstat mentality.

Amazingly enough, it perfectly fit into my job. Large financial corporations QA have an elaborate bureaucracy that at a certain level starts to appear very similar to that which I knew from scn. I guess human stupidity has only so many ways it can manifest itself. :confused:

We had monthly, not weekly evaluation periods, but the same thing applied - management mostly was interested in things improving, rather than things being good.

I found msyelf tailoring my work to keep the "upstat" trend. I had my team totally fail a certain month with some pre-defined reason: "Well boss, you know its the Xmas season and everything gone to hell oh and the scanning department had days off so we spent half a week waiting for docs to be scanned".

The next few months, I'd very slowly increase our results. Sandbagging the next period if needed, moving phantom reviews from one group to another etc.

Then we'd reach July, which we would fail and I'd blame things on so many people being on holidays. Then we'd resume upstatting.

Weirdly enough, everyone upstairs was very pleased. My team members thought I'd gone crazy, but noticed that the pressure from management was dropping, so they did not protests.

I'd try very hard NOT to manipulate anyone using techniques, but rather just reason with detailed data and numbers and stuff. But underneath all that corporate result data, there was the good ol' foundation of "upstatized miscavigism"

The world is weird. :screwy:

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List