volcano mania

Discussion in 'Evaluating and Criticising Scientology' started by arcxcauseblows, Dec 4, 2015.

View Users: View Users
  1. arcxcauseblows

arcxcauseblows Patron Meritorious

if this was already discussed i missed it

hubbard sure had a thing for volcanoes... between the dianetics cover and zenu, makes me wonder... 2 possibilities

1 he had the zenu story planned out before dianetics? that's my theory, I think revolt in the stars was written right after he told his sci fi buddies the way to get rich was to start a religion and maybe revolt in the stars was special to him so the held onto it and saved it for later because he thought it would work as scripture

2 he didn't have it written beforehand and dianetics blew up his ego so much he just kept the volcano ball rolling? that's too big of a coincidence for me

another thing on zenu, he calls it a bunch of things, zenu, zemu, ot3, r6, wall of fire, goof the floof and incident 2, all these strange keywords for the same thing, my theory is he did that intentionally because he believed in the alter-is concept where if you tell lies or alter something it's more likely to persist

any thoughts or clues, maybe stories from old timers that might explain the odd coincidence of the repeating volcano theme? i read hubbard was phobic of things, like scents in his clothes, or trains, obviously criticism, and sps/psychiatrists/psychs/farsec/bt's/implants/bodies in pawn, subpoenas lol, etc. were volcanoes one of his childhood fears he blew into a world view or wtf?

and i realize trying to making sense of nonsense doesn't make sense but it helps me untangle myself from the messy thought process scientology lead me down

2. Gib

Gib Crusader

1 and 2 - NO.

The original 1950's dianetics had nothing to do with volcanoes or Zemu.

You can read about it from the Heinlein letters between Heinlein and Hubbard, and also the letters between Campbell & Heinlein. Or just read the book dianetics of which no mention of volcanoes or zemu is mentioned.

3. programmer_guy

programmer_guy True Ex-Scientologist

I think that the Volcano book cover for Dianetics was added much later.
    Does anyone know when?

4. Jump

Jump Operating teatime

I have the vibe that that was a Jefferson Hawkins origination in the late 70s

:unsure:

5. Techless

Techless Patron Meritorious

Oh, and here I was thinking you were going to talk about recent, real volcano activities in science news...Italy and Central America.

You can see, (I think) and from what I saw on googlemaps, the one in Italy (Sicily): it's erupting!

Cool stuff. This dn cover stuff is so cheesy...pretty obvious why one might use them (volcanoes) to promote, with awe and inspiration, a new and sadly false science...or religion or whatever

Would've been more appropriate to portray your kids (like everyone's) science project in 3 or 4th grade?!? with the baking soda and vinegar thing being the cover!

6. programmer_guy

Nope.
    I blew in 1976 and the Volcano cover had already been on that book for some years.

7. programmer_guy

The Volcano cover to that book was supposedly added later to "restimulate" people (OT III stuff) so that they would buy the book, read it, and then go further.

8. uncover

uncover Gold Meritorious Patron

IMHO the volcano was introduced in the late 60's/early 70's together with the other "restimulative" ugly kid drawings on the covers on Scientology 0-8, 8-80, 8-8008, Creation of Human Ability, History of Man (and others):

[​IMG]

Xenu/Xemu/Zemu was stolen much later than Dianetics but the paranoid concept of Body Thetans Hubbard already had in 1940, when he wrote the novel "Fear":

"Yes, yes, Elron Elray, saviour of the universe..... everything is fine..... here you have a cookie, and now be good until your friend with the shot will be here."

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  9. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

There's an SO recording (I heard it on a cassette around 1983) of Hubbard talking to David Ziff (SO Marketing Dept) from 1968 (I think) where he talks about changing the book covers to (supposed) restimulative images from the R6 implant (Incident 2, 75 million years ago). Shortly afterwards the new book covers appeared, that held sway throughout the 70s. This included the DMSMH volcano, the woman in a bear suit gnawing on a bone for Creation of Human Ability, the train on Scn 0-8, the men in silver uniforms unloading a space ship and the giant serpent on New Slant on Life, the boy looking out of the window on Child Dianetics (?), the bearded God-looking judge on Intro to Scn Ethics, etc.

Paul

10. F.Bullbait

F.Bullbait Oh, a wise guy,eh?

Ya, I heard the same thing about the volcano restim.

I recall a story that LRH spewed the usual about how it would drive the public into the orgs like mad.

No doubt when that didn't happen there was another witch hunt for SPs....:grouch:

:faceslap:

11. Victoria

Victoria Patron Meritorious

I have no idea how to create a thread. But, speaking of $cientology rabbit holes, look at this new "documentary" by Josh Reeves on how $cientology runs Hollywood.

I wonder if this guy is just trying to jump on the $cientology is a hot topic bandwagon?
    http://youtu.be/uPsBX8L6T0M

12. ThetanExterior

ThetanExterior Gold Meritorious Patron

Well, he keeps talking about "Scientology's approved reading list". What the hell is that? It never existed in my time in the cult.

He also says Scientologists consider anyone who isn't one of them to be an SP. Not true.

I think he needs to learn a bit more about the subject before continuing with his documentary.

13. uncover

uncover Gold Meritorious Patron