Was LRH an Outstanding Writer?

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by Demented Hubbatd, Jun 27, 2017.

View Users: View Users
  1. Demented Hubbatd

Demented Hubbatd Patron with Honors

An evaluation of writer's works is always subjective. Nevertheless, it would be interesting to know what people think about LRH fiction novels and nonfiction books.

I liked the first 100 pages of Volume I of Mission Earth because it describes the life in a totalitarian society. But then I lost interest because the novel kind of stalls with endless variations of the same themes and totally unrealistic scenarios involving large-than-life protagonist, Jettero Heller (Travolta's late son, Jettero, was named after this character). Overall, I give the book a solid C.

Hubbard's screenplay, Revolt in the Stars, is partially based on the OT III data. It is hard to grade a book or a screenplay based on its synopsis. But the story seems very promising to me: it has an evil galactic ruler, Xenu, love story of the leader of Loyal Officers, Rawl, and Xenu's former concubine, Lady Min. The silly thetan idea is nowhere to be found; instead the screenplay ends with Xenu being put in artificially induced coma and kept on life support. I'm sure that a movie based on this screenplay would have been a success.

Large portions of Hubbard's nonfiction book, Excalibur, could be found on the Internet. The book consists of two parts: Part I is Hubbard's version of the evolution theory, Part II is social implications of this very strange theory of evolution.

The theory is weird, to say the least -- it says nothing about beneficial mutations and natural selection. Any scientist would say that this is a crappy description of the evolution that never took place. I give the book an F

Majority of Hubbard's fiction works are fantasy novels; I haven't read any of them. The estimates range from "excellent and spellbinding" to "total failure" .

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  2. strativarius

strativarius Comfortably Numb

No. Vladimir Nabokov was an outstanding writer.

3. AngeloV

AngeloV Gold Meritorious Patron

The Old Quack was outstanding at creating pseudoscientific garbage at an astounding rate. He was outstanding at massive lying and hyperbole in his books and bulletins.

He was a less than average Sci-fi writer.

4. HelluvaHoax!

HelluvaHoax! Gold Meritorious Sponsor

As a voracious reader and one who read a great deal of Hubbard's writing, I'd say:

1. I found his sci-fi unreadable in a repugnant sort of way. I even made multiple efforts (at the time I was in Scn) to try and RE-read Battlefield Earth and Mission Earth--but I could never get past just a handful of chapters before being repulsed by the awfully dated and corny style.

2. I read his screenplay "Revolt In The Stars" and tossed that one aside too (after at least curiously skimming through it to see how he treated the highly-confidential, lethally restimulative "Xenu" material.

3. I felt kind of vindicated on the above 2 when Battlefield Earth bombed worse than any film in memory, even garnering "Razzie" awards for worst movie in history.

4. I never could force myself to read his pulp fiction. But, then again, I never could watch the TV show "Star Trek" either.

5. There is, however, another amazingly brilliant part of Hubbard's sci-fi writing! It has to rank right up there with other science fiction/fantasy masterpieces--such as Orson Wells' "WAR OF THE WORLDS"-- that entirely blurred the line between fiction and fact. (LINK) In both cases, the readers/listeners were utterly bamboozled into believing that it was actually happening in reality! Hubbard called his work "Scientology".

5. WildKat

WildKat Gold Meritorious Patron

6. ThetanExterior

ThetanExterior Goldenrod SP

When Mission Earth first came out it was reviewed in a magazine in London, England by a guy who was an up-and-coming fiction writer. He gave it a good review.

However, he was a scientologist doing an amends project. I knew his sister and she told me he thought it was crap.

7. I understand that Hubbard's sci-fi works that were written towards the end of his life (Battlefield Earth and Mission Earth) are overwhelmingly derided. However, Hubbard's wikipedia article gives the impression that his earlier works were more positively recieved. Is anyone familiar with his writings in the 30s and 40s? Are they any good?

8. F.Bullbait

F.Bullbait Oh, a wise guy,eh?

In an early lecture, LRH talked about being paid by the word as a pulp fiction writer.

He thought nothing of dashing off 10,000 words to pay the bills.

That explains a lot, actually...

[​IMG]

9. HelluvaHoax!

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: hilarious! :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

...and I don't even know if that "...however he was doing an amends project" was a crazy funny joke or not. Seriously.

10. HelluvaHoax!

But, provably an astonishingly prosperous Sci-fi writer!

In the same way that Bernie Madoff was an astonishingly prosperous Fi-fi writer. . .

Financial-fiction writer.

Like Hubbard, Madoff discovered an advanced technology by which his customers could routinely attain miraculous "gains". Then Bernie just made up fictional numbers and "wrote" them into the investment account statements.

The only difference I have been able to discern between them is that Hubbard had "knowingness" that he would eventually get caught; thus he invested some of the clients' funds into BlueBird Motorhome futures.

11. EZ Linus

EZ Linus BT-free since 2003!

As a writer of bulletins, rules and regulations, etc., he was very persuasive. A+
    As a nonfiction writer, when he wrote about his versions of history, etc., he was not stellar. C-
    As a sci-fic writer, my God, he had the most predictable, mundane imagination and a below average writing style that blended in with all the other crap out there. I would never call it literature. D-

12. ThetanExterior

ThetanExterior Goldenrod SP

It was true. He had been Declared and was doing his A-E. He eventually completed it, got back in good standing for the sake of his family who are scientologists, then had nothing more to do with scientology.

He is now a world-famous writer.

13. Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy Patron with Honors

I was in my early 20s when I read Battlefield Earth and also Mission Earth. At the time, I enjoyed the books but did feel that the story lines lacked "depth" and that his fictional characters were very cliche.

No. He wasn't an Outstanding Writer.