What are the essential elements to build a complete Scientology history/biography?

Discussion in 'David Miscavige and Current Management' started by Mike Laws, Dec 16, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. Mike Laws

Mike Laws Patron Meritorious

Was speaking with an Aussie mate a couple of months ago who felt the need to create an unauthorized biography on David Miscavage, something that has never been done.

I thought the idea was brilliant and timely because many of the people that were around him have died or are ill, and as time goes on, details will be lost.

But it got me to thinking, What are all the elements that would create a true, accurate and unbiased history? The blogs are great, but you can literally spend a year studying them, it is not an efficient way of communicating a complete picture.

Perhaps the major benefit of such a history is to document the evils of the past so that they can be avoided again.

Another use for this would be for people that still want to use the tech, or are pro tech, that have no idea what really went on. Most of these, if you really talk with them and understand where they are at admit that different parts of the tech are preferred or loved, and others they have questions on. What was happening in Hubbard s life when he wrote the Flag Orders on RPF? When the intel bureaus were built, what was going on in Hubbard s life, and what was going on in the COS? How did his illness and injuries from his motor cycle accident and subsequent medication effect change in the organization and tech?

Curious as thoughts of what biographies and what specific chapters of history, events, and perspectives should be captured.

2. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

Re: What are the essential elements to build a complete Scientology history/biography

The phrase "trying to drink from a fire hose" comes to mind. Seems to me that you need to choose a narrower target than that last paragraph suggests.

Paul

3. paradox

paradox ab intra silentio vera

4. HelluvaHoax!

HelluvaHoax! Gold Meritorious Sponsor

Re: What are the essential elements to build a complete Scientology history/biography

At first I thought that was a joke. But actually it is a very good idea.

Books and movies, if they are going to be looked at by more than a precious few, must make use of the conventions and structure of story telling.

While there are many varying dramatic structures that have been tried, only a few of them have stood the test of time and succeeded. Those that were found compelling can be studied to understand their geometry and why they were effective ways to tell the story

Thinking about it, there might be other simpler paradigms which would make an easier read and the list of best-selling biographies abounds with such.

If I was the writer of such a project I probably would first assemble a rough timeline and plot the major events of DM's life against that. I'd put a nice red circle around the ones that were shocking or outrageous such as beatings, torture and terrorism.

I don't think Danny Sherman is busy on Ron's bio, maybe he could be hired.

5. paradox

Yeah, I was serious. I would look at works similar to what I wanted to do and at least take a look at how they were organized and structured and the rough content. I would particularly look at those that were well thought of in scholastic or academic circles and which have pretty much withstood the test of time and critique; or if I wanted to make a buck or two in the pop culture as well then I would keep my red pen at hand for those other circles :)wink2:).

Of course, I was looking at it from the viewpoint of a broad history of Cof$ in general than a more narrow biography of the current little dictator. So maybe I misread what Mike was looking at beyond what he described his mate as planning. If strictly an "unauthorized" bio of the demon then I would still use the same basic criteria but would look at the most successful bios of similar, um, characters, authorized or otherwise. And then, of course, feedback here for the key areas that should be covered or considered most important or significant.

:confused2:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  6. GreyWolf

GreyWolf Gold Meritorious Patron

You could start getting an idea of where he picked up the tech from his beginnings in the O.T.O. and going from there to his wild self-hypnosis session (the admissions). :angry::angry::angry:

7. FoTi

FoTi Crusader

To start with.......

I'd say.....take each item of information you find, on the net or from wherever ..... date when it happened, and organize it in chronological order in a computer. ....separately.....one timeline for DM.....one for LRH.....one for the CoS.

Then figure out from there what you want to do with it......write a series of books, make a website of it, make some movies, etc.

8. Voltaire's Child

Voltaire's Child Fool on the Hill

I think it would be difficult. I mean, take a certain early/mid twentieth century despot whose name has become synonymous with G__w__'s L_w. Have you noticed that anytime anyone bios that guy, there's always a strong consciousness and a lot of commentary about the evil? Nobody's ever objective. Nobody ever says, oh that book he wrote in prison had this and this and this and this was accomplished during his rise to power.

I think that when bio'ing someone who's that evil and has done that much harm, that it's really difficult to not editorialize.

So any book on DM would have that. To me, DM is as evil as anyone I've ever heard of. The only reason he didn't take over a large section of the world is that he couldn't. Believe me, if he could he would.

9. GoNuclear

GoNuclear Gold Meritorious Patron

DM, in addition to being one evil SOB, is also an amazing character. Evil alone doesn't get you to the top of the heap, that takes some amazing abilities. Who here on this message board could have pulled off what he did ... taking over the reigns of that organization, eliminate all the competition, and wind up with the whole enchalada? Now I say that assuming that he really is the top banana, as opposed to having handlers that have guided his steps along the way.

The mystery about Scientology ... the HubTurd, fabricating the entire thing out of whole cloth from the start, no research, all made up horseshit from the mind of a mediocre but nevertheless prolific SciFi writer, did, in fact, achieve some miraculous results in some cases along the way, particularly in the beginning. This very well may have gotten Scientology on the radar screen of the CIA and/or other intel agencies well BEFORE operation Snow White, which most certainly would have gotten their attention as to a potential asset. So that leaves two questions to be answered ... WHY did Dianetics/Scientology get ANY results at all, particularly in the beginning ... and did DM really engineer the take-over, or is he a puppet on strings, and, if so, who are his handlers. Any serious bio of DM would have to deal with those questions.

Pete

10. anonomog

anonomog Gold Meritorious Patron

Parallel time lines would be good.

Include a time line any major world news of the period that would likely have been thought about or talked about in the general population. This will show what people were worried about and if/how Hubbard played into them.

It would be interesting to add another line documenting his blatant lying. It seems to me he was cycling between insanity and sanity most of his life. How did his own fantasies about himself influence what he wrote as "scriptures".

Perhaps the timelines can be included in the wiki project and it be a collaborative effort. There will need to be some solid fact checking on completion, but it might speed up the process.

11. I told you I was trouble

I told you I was trouble Suspended animation

I think the post below is an important one to take into consideration (re his childhood).

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?25271-David-Miscavige-s-abuses-and-violence&p=637999&viewfull=1#post637999

12. Dulloldfart

Miscavige wasn't born into Scientology. His parents weren't Scientologists when he was born. They were Roman Catholic.

See http://www.sptimes.com/TampaBay/102598/scientologypart2.html:
    And while the family of two boys and two girls attended public schools and didn’t always make it to Sunday Mass, the youngest son of Ron Miscavige Sr. and his wife Loretta, received his first communion and first confession in the Catholic church.

It is not stated in the article when the parents got into Scientology, although the family was on lines at Saint Hill when DM was 12.

Paul

13. Good twin

Good twin Floater

There is so much information on the internet and much of it is exaggerated or false. I would be more impressed with something researched by personal interview. That's what impresses me with "Inside Scientology". As I read it I keep thinking "Thank God Alan lived long enough to share this data".

The first step is to find out who is willing to talk and then evaluate each person's credibility. As Paul pointed out, my knowledge of DM's childhood was faulty and resulted in some assumptions that should not be passed on as part of a true and accurate account. If his brother Ron were willing to talk we'd have some insight though. If Tom Cruise were to bail from the cult, we could get HIS version of how DM wooed him back into the fold. (and just how much of the matchmaking and approval process Tom might be aware of) If Shelly (god bless her) could talk, we'd get something worthwhile. That type of stuff would start to bring it all together.

But with just what's already been published? I don't think you'd get anything really accurate or useful.

14. GreyWolf

GreyWolf Gold Meritorious Patron

Maybe no one here but, Luciano, Capone, Bonnano, Stalin.

15. paradox

Here's the complete chapter from Reitman's Inside $cientology, chapter 7 "DM", starting on p125. It's a preview from google books but chapter 7 has all the pages available for reading. It begins with a rough sketch of his childhood and upbringing. Much of chapter 8 "Power is Assumed" is available as well.

http://books.google.com/books?id=1Y1XBNDjjKMC&lpg=PP1&dq=inside%20scientology&pg=PA125#v=onepage&q=inside%20scientology&f=false

16. Mike Laws

Wow, thanks, I haven't had a chance to read this before. I think the chapter is truly excellent, perhaps the best on the topic I have read. But even this is missing information, either because she did not have access to the right people, or could not get them to give all accurate data; one of the issues I suspect is that people, even out of the COS, are trying to be kind to the memory of Hubbard, including his physical condition. Perhaps, again, scientology cultural conditioning does not really allow for the truth, nothing but the truth .... in all circumstances.

There are at least a dozen points here, but as example I will give three.

The mission holder network. Circa mid 70s Hubbard himself developed a new strategy. He recognized that Scientology was missing essential management sales and marketing talent in its central organizations. He instructed franchises or missions to be set up, where accomplished managers and marketers could make themselves lots of money by delivering lower level bridge services, while the SO and orgs would provide higher profit upper level services. He said "appeal to their greed". This was in the form of advices, not policy. The reason DM manipulated the situation and data to Hubbard to get him behind taking these mission holders out was because they threatened the top down power base; in a few years, relatively few people had out built the entire Scientology organization with a fraction of the services available.

I have witnessed changing stories from the same person on Hubbards final health and mental condition at his death. When I directly asked about this, the response was "I didn't have the heart to tell ... the truth". The issue, if remembered, about Pat and Annie becoming loyal officers, was, to my understanding hand written by Hubbard before his illness became too severe in his clear and distinct hand writing. DM called the document a forgery.

DM is and was not technically qualified (per church rules on qualifications) to be in the CMO, much less RTC or his current position. These positions all have requirements per Hubbard Chart of Human Evaluation, and DMs asmatic condition disqualifies him. There are other unverified reports that DM, as a child, may have been the victim of a male pedophile. While no one would blame a child for being a victim, it again disqualifies him per SOS, and additionally, if true, explains DMs sexual perspectives and perversions, including his attitude towards homosexuals, not to mention a reason for his refusal to get auditing.

17. Mike Laws

Paul,

LOL, that is the problem exactly, trying to drink from a fire hose, or how do you eat an elephant. It is actually possible to drink from a fire hose: capture part of the volume and decrease velocity. How do you eat an elephant: one bite at a time.

Reading some of the other commendatory, different perspectives are coming up.

Time lines, various time lines on different facets of what was going on: hubbard personally, tech, admin policies, world events, legal situations, etc. I really like this idea as it follows how I tend to think.

Biographies on DM, Hubbard and MSH. Possibly Mayo and others.

History of the GO and conversion to Special Unit and then OSA.

Technical evolution.

Admin evolution

Corporate evolution

Finance/money flows

Criminal cover ups

Technical results, good and bad.

Actual positive social benefits

etc.

Our fire hose has to be broken down into incremental portions of the flow, each of which can be defined and developed. My question really is how to divide up and slow down that fire hose stream. Then many can help by picking up a portion of the overall design.

But without an overall design that can get good consensus, individual efforts can only be at best fragmented.

18. Mike Laws

One other point, GT inspired, the absolute key thing to accomplish something like this is people from all facets of the equation being able to communicate openly and honestly and share real information.

I got thoroughly flamed for various aspects of having open relationships and being respectful of different "sides" or "groups". Things are so fragmented that because I am friends with M&M, for example, many in the Free Zone seem to consider that I am quite sinister.

Others, who might have things of great value, won't go onto many boards and share information because it is too "hostile to their sensibilities".

If we define the enemy as the abuse perpetuated by the lies, omissions and inaccuracies of the history, the goal being to end this, cooperation must somehow be obtained.

19. uniquemand

uniquemand Unbeliever

David Miscavige is Jettero Heller.

20. Dulloldfart

Presumably Sarge, as he would be the obvious person to speak about it and as far as I know hasn't yet (publicly).

You got anything else to say on this, Mike? This is the first I have heard about Hubbard actually writing that issue. It's just been a mystery up to now if it was genuinely written by Hubbard or completely invented by Pat Broeker.

Paul