What if a Scientologist wants to be treated like one?

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by wiseman_of_the_watchtower, Nov 11, 2017.

View Users: View Users
  1. wiseman_of_the_watchtower

wiseman_of_the_watchtower Patron with Honors

Hi,

I haven't been on much, so this is a delayed post.

Sometime last year, I was contacted by a Scientologist while doing some shopping. Unfortunately, I didn't find out the full situation as I asked him to call me later and he never did.

It was an odd call. From what I gathered, he was no longer involved with his local Scientology branch, but he wanted to continue to practice Scientology. By 'practice' I don't mean that he just wanted to continue to do his own thing, but he was asking for interactions that could re-create his experience with the Scientology corporation.

Specifically, he had offered that I might be able to take on the role of a staff member - a personal ethics officer - and to help him from that angle.

I was really unsure what to say or do. I'm asking for opinions to figure out what might have been the best approach, if he did stay in touch with me.

On one hand, I could have done what he wanted and taken that role, assigning first dynamic conditions and such to hopefully help him to live his life without being under the direct influence of the corporation.

On the other hand, would that not make me just as bad as the corporation? If I 'took the reigns' and kept him in the paradigm, making him continue to think like a Scientologist instead of thinking for himself, what good would that have done?

It seems to me like a tough choice: bluntly refuse and risk him going back to the corporation for more mind control, or to play along and do what he thinks will help him in his life away from the org?

2. Enthetan

Enthetan Mutant

He's asking for help. You are free to give him the help you think he needs, which is not necessarily the same as what he thinks he needs.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Out Ethics

Out Ethics Out Ethics Ex Ethics Officer

I would have probably played the role of EO....

I never wrote up my Hat so I am stuck for eternity with that fucking HAT. :p

Thanks alot LRH for that Scientologoical implant.....that happens to be another LIE.

Seriously - I am so suspicious when staff contact me ... some do say they are out and UTR and wanted to know where I stand...

But I don't reveal anything.

I just keep it neutral...I am nothing....just the way LRH liked it.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. TheOriginalBigBlue

TheOriginalBigBlue Gold Meritorious Patron

The problem with Scientologists is they have such mixed loyalties. It is almost impossible to have Scientologist friends because if there is a disparity in level of loyalty then they either have to turn you in or if they side with you they are now the one's who somebody will turn in. So even if you are out or heading out you tend to couch everything just out of respect for not trying to get them in trouble.

I stayed in touch with some people who I really liked after leaving the SO but this dance was so awkward and precarious we just drifted apart. Being ex-SO also carries a lot of bad connotations - you failed, didn't make the grade, got comm-eved, etc. and Scientology behavior mandates that you don't talk about Scientology negatively. Well, that pretty much leaves your whole shared experience in the SO off the table so the starter menu for conversation can be kind of thin.

Scientologists can be friends with non-Scientologists as long as they are supportive or neutral but if they are negative this can come up in session or an interrogatory about PTSness and then the EO will have to make them choose to disconnect or handle or use "good roads, fair weather" - ie. be superficially friendly and avoid conflict.

On top of all this there is always the possibility that they are running an op on you for the Church. They may not even know it. The Church is notorious for contacting people who know people to build up a dossier, verify phone and address info, find out who they are connected to and Scientologists are programmed to tell the Church the truth, especially if they have done a lot of auditing and sec checks.

It's all completely fubar. You have three choices: Just be real and tell things like they are. Stay UTR and make up excuses why you aren't active any more. Be a Scientologist.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  5. wiseman_of_the_watchtower

wiseman_of_the_watchtower Patron with Honors

Yeah... It is hard to interact with people who's loyalty to the corporation or to LRH is at a different 'level' than you are.

My guess is that he first read some posts here about my disaffection from the corporation which he agreed with, phoned me, then continued reading more of my posts to discover that I'm totally done with it all. That's probably why he never called me back.