Why Our IQs Are Higher Than Our Grandparents

Discussion in 'Human Potential, Self Discovery' started by mockingbird, Oct 29, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. JustSheila

JustSheila Crusader

Many physical traits are simple, like blue and brown eye color. Others are not, and are just a suppression of some DNA inheritance to magnify other DNA traits. In that case, the trait is never lost and surfaces again when needed.

Intelligence only has an inheritance factor. It is comprised of a variety and combination of things.

No, intelligence is not consistent across time, geography, environment, socio-economic, education, etc. Not at all, and I just showed you studies that proved it is not. Jews historically took studying very seriously, btw, so no surprise there. Studying more in a supportive environment will get a person better grades and better scores on IQ tests.

Anyway, it's clear we're going to disagree on this. Thank you for the debate, anyway.

2. guanoloco

guanoloco As-Wased

I once was reading an Islamist's argument as to why Islam was real and the argument was the Koran was 80% accurate with science.

Well, humans apparently are 98.7% identical to bonobos. Apparently, bonobos are more closely related to humans than they are to chimpanzees.

But this is what the difference looks like.

This gal:

u-g-PGU2830.jpg

Is 98.7% identical to this gal:

f125ca2075867e203ffcd2b9b68ad165.jpg

Meaning, of course, that an 80% accuracy is waaay the F off!!

But this is less than 3% variance.

• LOL LOL x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • List
  3. guanoloco

guanoloco As-Wased

Well, like I said I haven't explored the topic seriously yet so it's conjecture on my part. I would be surprised if there's not a genetic difference, meaning a variance, and I don't have a dog in the fight.

I know what you're saying in regards to nutrition, etc.
    Jackie Joyner-Kersee is one of the top female athletes of our time. She can outjump, outrun and throw farther than Jim Thorpe the top male athlete from the past.

This is due to nutrition, training, medicine and technological improvements over time. But there still remains a performance gap between males and females.

As good as she is today she still can't be competitive to contemporary males in the same events because they, too, benefit from the same improvements in resources.

That's what I mean with an apparently measurable gap that holds true across time, geography, environment, socio-economic placement and education.

I will explore this deeper when I can invest the time.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  4. Clay Pigeon

Clay Pigeon Silver Meritorious Patron

My, my, my she is a delight to gaze upon...

but...

One is inclined to recall the words of a Dixie gentleman, "The Southern Belle is lovely to the eye but she is not functional."

5. Terril park

Terril park Sponsor

6. Terril park

Terril park Sponsor

Speaking as someone part Jewish I'm inclined to not
    agree. Ashkenazi Jews have a long tradition of persuing
    learning. Also as no one else wanted the job they became
    money lenders and bankers and thus accumulated wealth These are strong environmental factors. In the area of
    classical music they had an almost monopoly of great
    conductors and pianists and violinists, astonishing
    because they are a small population.Now it seems asia
    has the edge and they have a strong study ethic and wealth.
    factors.

7. guanoloco

guanoloco As-Wased

Well...chicken and the egg.

Charles Barkley states that there's a strong counter cultural learning aspect to black communities. People state that the Ashkenazi Jews have a strong cultural learning aspect.

However, one doesn't necessarily preclude the other. That is to say that a strong cultural aspect to learning doesn't mean that that creates the higher IQ...it's just as valid that the higher IQ fosters the strong cultural aspect to learning. The same could be said about a lower IQ. The strong counter cultural aspect to learning may or may not impact IQ or it may or may not be the result of a lower IQ.

IDK, I have yet to really delve. More later as I'm busy.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  8. JustSheila

JustSheila Crusader

Yeh, I understand where you're coming from.

IQ isn't one inherited thing, though. It's like a recipe made up of dozens of things. Heredity has its part, the basic ingredients still need to be there, but like a cooking recipe, it can be spoiled by:

Overdone (so much study focus on one subject that others are neglected)
    Underdone (Not enough hours spent in school or learning)
    Too little or too much of any ingredient (i.e., not enough space to study or too much noise to study)
    Overstirring (poor educators with too many random things taught and not enough focus on basics)
    Not stirred enough (student left to his/her own devices without tutoring or assistance)
    Put in the microwave instead of the oven (wrong environment)
    Poor quality ingredients (poor school, unsupportive parents/siblings, poor environment, poor nutrition, lack of sleep)