Would You Tell a Stranger That You Were a Scientologist?

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by Demented Hubbatd, Sep 12, 2017.

View Users: View Users
  1. Demented Hubbatd

Demented Hubbatd Patron with Honors

By "stranger" I mean someone you met in an airplane or in a café.

I travel a lot to LA, St. Louis and Boston because of the nature of my work. Being a sociable person, I usually talk with the people sitting next to me. Nowadays almost all conversations turn to the topic of radical Islam followed by other religion topics.

When I tell my collocutors that I was working for the Church of Scientology for 4 months (I spent 4 months in Sea Org), they are mildly surprised that a man in a business attire like me would get involved with a cult. They often ask if I have met Tom Cruise or other celebrities. Couple of times I was asked if I believe in aliens. To that I replied, "This is the cult's confidential data. When I was working for them this data was not available on the Internet, so I had no idea what kind of shit I stepped in."

One person asked me if I believe that Quentin Hubbard's death was not a suicide but a foul play. I said, "There is no evidence suggesting that he didn't commit suicide."
    Interestingly, I have not met a single Scientologist or ex-Scientologist during my trips.

These discussions lasted for no more than 10 minutes; Scientology is not a hot topic.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  2. EZ Linus

EZ Linus BT-free since 2003!

I avoid telling people at all costs as to not make myself look like a complete idiot (though I do a pretty good job at portraying that anyway). :brow:
    However soon everyone that is interested will know.

3. SouthernCanuck

SouthernCanuck Jabberwocky In-Training

I knew a guy who knew a guy who was in. ME? Nah, I was never that gullible ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • List
  4. strativarius

strativarius Comfortably Numb

My problem is that during the years I was in I had no qualms about telling all and sundry that I was a scientologist. What they must think when they get on the internet and read all about Xenu and Hubbard's adventures on Venus these days I can only imagine. It's embarrassing to say the least.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • List
  5. Adam7986

Adam7986 Declared SP

I don't have the same issue of being 'duped' and worried about seeming stupid since I was raised in the cult. I am actually more likely to tell a stranger than a co-worker. There may be only 10,000 scientologists left, but I work in LA and there is a chance I may work with one. Don't want to cause any problems. As they say, don't shit where you eat.

That being said, some of my co-workers were talking about Leah Remini's show in the break room and I was happy to tell them that I was a Scientologist. So maybe I'm really not afraid to tell anyone.

It's rather like being a victim of any kind of abuse. I don't mind sharing, but also it's very depressing so there is a time and place for it.

6. F.Bullbait

F.Bullbait Oh, a wise guy,eh?

I don't mind relating my history to others. However if CoS calls, well then...

[​IMG]

7. Operating DB

Operating DB Truman Show Dropout

I don't mind confessing I was in the cult if the opportunity presents itself but I always feel embarrassment for having been involved. I'm not good at distilling what it's all about in ten words or less since that's impossible. So it's frustrating because I want people to really know how dangerous it is but find it hard to concisely relay that info in a short conversation. However, every one of these people knew the cult was was bonkers in the first place.

I haven't ever run into any current scios. Serendipitously in recent years I became good friends with a ex-scio guy whom I met in choir who was in the cult during the time frame I was and only one large city away from me. We always have lots to talk about and of course lots of joking and degrading.

Ten days ago I was at a memorial service for an ex scio friend. Some of the family I met asked how I knew the deceased and I found myself feeling sheepish about having to admit I met the deceased through sciontology. Fortunately they were understanding.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • List
  8. Demented Hubbatd

Probably, they think that I was an idiot when I joined a cult. But they do not say that openly; besides, since I am out of the cult, they might come to conclusion that I'm no longer a fool.

9. Demented Hubbatd

I think people feel sympathy towards you because, even though you were raised in the cult, you left it, which is not easy to do.

10. Lulu Belle

Lulu Belle Moonbat

I'd be more likely to tell a stranger than a co-worker, too, but for different reasons. I work for a very conservative corporation that is very much Christian-midwestern based. Very nice people, but they do tend to be sort of judge-y about stuff like that.

As you say, don't shit where you eat.

11. EZ Linus

EZ Linus BT-free since 2003!

It is very depressing. It is like being a victim of abuse, and for me too, there is a time and place; once it starts to come out, I do not know how I will act. This is the truth. Sometimes, it's just non-stop uncontrollable crying that blows my "cool" completely. It's more embarrassing than I can even believe. A 50 year-old blubbering mess! Jeez. I can easily go very dark.

I could be telling the wrong person. Maybe they are just fascinated and want to know if I've ever seen Tom Cruise. (NO! By the way.)

Leah's show is the only thing that has helped (and Going Clear) in showing the public that we need some empathy and compassion instead of being laughed at.

12. Ysa'Leia

Ysa'Leia New Member

Yup...break-room chatter, I used to work at this little company in a Los Angeles Suburb called Playa Vista..........and me another fellow co worker were talking about different religions and I mentioned that Scientology scares me and he said to my surprise me too ...it seems we both knew people that ended up with a bad situation within Scientology in which they escaped.......One of our Co-Workers who worked from home a lot, apparently happened to come in the office that day and heard us and she was like "I am an ex-Scientologist- but she still believe in the Scientology practice" ...I am.... not a Scientologist and never had been but both he and I ....just looked at her with a blank stare ......... and from that point on I felt some type of way about her ........by the way this was in 2013 and a month later Leah Remini leaving Scientology was all over the place

13. Miss Ellie

Miss Ellie Patron with Honors

I am a little more open now... but not much. I had two very good friends - we were friends for YEARS before they ever knew. I was educating one about cults and she ask "so how do you know about cults?". I told her how - after she recovered her voice she wanted to know all about it... The other friend was floored when I told her, since she was raised in an alcoholic home she realized, after comparing notes, that we had a lot in common. Others I know that are dealing with addicted people I have tossed my knowledge of cults at them & it has fit. Would I get up and announce it at a party, at work or other social situation... NO!

I would not have a bumper sticker "Honk If You Are In or Were In A Cult" ... I do not wear it as a badge... except here of course. If ask point blank I would admit it - but I would have to trust my relationship with the person asking, a stranger not likely.

Now I am in the cult of the ex-cult members... a MUCH better group to be in!

14. He-man

He-man Troll under the bridge

I have no problem telling people about that I used to be a scientologist. But I tend to keep it to me self at work since it can be held against you.

15. screamer2

screamer2 Patron

I tried it like a drill, years ago. Found that it wasn't worth doing and stopped.

That being said. With the increasingly rapid implosion of the cult and the rising awareness of the general public thanks in part to Leah Remini and Tony Ortega and others, I may try it again.

16. hummingbird

hummingbird Patron with Honors

In the past couple of years, I've told a couple of people. One was a woman I have known first professionally, now personally, for over 20 years. The response has always been positive. It helps that I was 18 when I got roped in. Don't know if I'd tell a stranger, but then, there's plenty of stuff I won't tell strangers. It's strangely liberating, like, dare I say, getting off a withhold?

17. Demented Hubbatd

Regarding the work -- probably, it depends on how much time you spent in a cult. I worked for Sea Org for only 4 months, so I don't mind telling my co-workers about my Scientology past. But if my involvement with SO were for more than a year, I would be hesitant to announce to my co-workers that I am an ex-Scientologist.

18. He-man

He-man Troll under the bridge

For me, it's more of how I want to be perceved at work and office politics. I'd be gutted if everyone knew! :D

19. Gizmo

Gizmo Rabble Rouser

To me, comes under the heading of TMI. I've listened to a girl rattle off her entire sexual history to a group of strangers in a waiting room of a doctors office.

I don't want a persons entire life history or " biggest withholds " on our first meeting. And, on first meeting someone I don't go into too much info about myself or my history.

As for when I was in the cult, I didn't mention to people I was in scn. Now that I'm out, scn is past history - long gone & dead.

It's like should I tell a stranger about my first spouse ? Or, hey maybe I should be telling strangers when I lost my virginity !

One funny while I was "in" ; my spouse & I were at a chiro - poor bastard - he tried to pitch us on getting in scn to help us. He was a newbie & we'd done through 7.

We had fun & never let on we were years in the cult as public - gosh, did I commit an overt ? :p

• Like Like x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • List
  20. Adam7986

Adam7986 Declared SP

You're not alone. I used to get very emotional. It's taken years of therapy to get to the point where I can talk about it somewhat nonchalantly.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List