What's new

Receive Scientology marriage counseling from Chaplain who allowed wife to be degraded

Sindy

Crusader
Re: Receive Scientology marriage counseling from Chaplain who allowed wife to be degr

Hello all, I rarely if ever voice comments about my experiences in Scientology, but I noticed this thread mentioning Lisa Hoden and wish to bring a little clarity to it.

Lisa was part of a musical family well known in the Chicago area. The family name is Steele not Frau as some have mentioned. She was married to a Frau for a while before Ken Hoden. I met Lisa while she worked at her Father's recording studio during recording sessions for my then rock band Citizen circa 1979. I fell in Love with her and we worked together on many music projects. Her voice was glorious and her talent immense. Her entire family was gifted and I fell in Love with them as well. We married in a big fat Catholic ceremony on July 17th 1981 and she became Lisa Marier. Regrettably, I had introduced her to Scientology and she took to it with a fervor that was surprising even to me. Her family must despise me, and I can't blame them for that. In any event, she was staff at the Chicago org and was soon recruited out of our marriage with promises of glory singing at Golden Era Studios. Our marriage lasted an official 5 years but much of that time we were purposely separated by 2000 miles while she trained in Los Angeles. A common tale I am sure.

The recruitment was horribly rough and I was publicly humiliated on several occasions by Sea Org for voicing my opinion to that effect. Indeed Scientology breaks up families and destroys lives. But I hold to the premise that we all make our final decisions and Lisa made hers. I have been saddened upon reading of her travails and difficulties which are not out of the norm among others reported here and elsewhere. The Sea Org has had some fine people in it and I fondly recall many who were there to genuinely help others. Unfortunately, their goodness like the blood of a Dracula victim has been sapped by evil men and women. Lisa has been bitten again and again and her decency and good heart betrayed. She remains in my view a tragic life.

I have missed her and cried for months upon losing her to the Sea Org recruitment. I have born a terrible burden knowing that I played an integral part in her involvement and her family's resulting sorrow. I am indeed sorry for having provided the nudge to what became an overwhelming inertia toward the black hole in Hemet.

Within Lisa is an artist. I am not overly optimistic but hope she may one day join the ranks of those who have left and yet have a fulfilled happy life.

I voluntarily resigned my membership in the IAS in a detailed letter citing among other items, Lisa's horrid recruitment. That was 15 years ago. Like many, I found value in Scientology, but have never regretted my leaving the church. I have lost all friends and almost all contact with my 4 children who have one way or the other been forced to disconnect. I can attest to the fact that Disconnection Policy is alive and well in Scientology, but I doubt readers here will require it.

I wish Lisa well knowing that my wishes will have the effect of a water droplet on the Ocean. To all who knew Lisa, we have shared a unique connection to a lovely person. Perhaps she'll find her way. I for one certainly hope that occurs.

Best to all.

Hello,

Thank you for this beautiful letter and it is very good to hear from you as I have thought about you many times and have even tried to track you down to no avail. I know you but you may not remember me as it was so long ago when we met. You and Lisa were important and integral persons in my initial journey into Scientology. I remember talking to you in the beginning and your down-to-earth explanations made it seem so wonderful and had it remained what you and I both thought it was, neither of us would be here.

My name, when I knew you, was Sindy Sloan and I was just 23 years old. I had even come to your house to sing backing vocals to one of your songs. You were always fun.

I remember the whole time period of Lisa's recruitment and your eventual divorce. Of course it got spun that your purposes were not as strong as hers, etc., regarding the clearing of the planet.

I remember when you got declared and all the hoopla about that and how that was spun too. I asked about you to OSA. I always wondered what happened and now that I think about it, you are the very first person that I actually knew of who got declared. I thought it sucked. I always liked you.

I agree with you about Lisa. She is a wonderful soul -- beautiful, talented, and betrayed. I, too, hope that she will one day work up the courage to leave. Possibly she will find a way to contact you.

I also remember your daughter. I won't mention any names as you have not done so here but I have thought about her many times and wondered what happened with her too. So now I am seeing that she is still "in", yes? That is so unfortunate and I am terribly sorry that you have had to experience such disconnection. You don't deserve it -- all because you saw through the farce and stood up for what you believed and didn't compromise your integrity. I thank you -- a lot -- for that as though it took many, many years for me to leave after you left, you were one of the people that was a foundation for me, gave me strength to a certain degree.

I also remember your kind brother and his wife. I am assuming that they are no longer in, is this correct?

If you don't wish to answer any of this here, I understand. I am not trying to inappropriately probe for info. I am just so happy to hear from you and have always been so curious.

Again, thanks for coming here. I agree with every word you said regarding Lisa. I hope one day, your friendship with her is rekindled. I hope to hear from her too.

Last edited:

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
Re: Receive Scientology marriage counseling from Chaplain who allowed wife to be degr

Hello all, I rarely if ever voice comments about my experiences in Scientology, but I noticed this thread mentioning Lisa Hoden and wish to bring a little clarity to it.

Lisa was part of a musical family well known in the Chicago area. The family name is Steele not Frau as some have mentioned. She was married to a Frau for a while before Ken Hoden. I met Lisa while she worked at her Father's recording studio during recording sessions for my then rock band Citizen circa 1979. I fell in Love with her and we worked together on many music projects. Her voice was glorious and her talent immense. Her entire family was gifted and I fell in Love with them as well. We married in a big fat Catholic ceremony on July 17th 1981 and she became Lisa Marier. Regrettably, I had introduced her to Scientology and she took to it with a fervor that was surprising even to me. Her family must despise me, and I can't blame them for that. In any event, she was staff at the Chicago org and was soon recruited out of our marriage with promises of glory singing at Golden Era Studios. Our marriage lasted an official 5 years but much of that time we were purposely separated by 2000 miles while she trained in Los Angeles. A common tale I am sure.

The recruitment was horribly rough and I was publicly humiliated on several occasions by Sea Org for voicing my opinion to that effect. Indeed Scientology breaks up families and destroys lives. But I hold to the premise that we all make our final decisions and Lisa made hers. I have been saddened upon reading of her travails and difficulties which are not out of the norm among others reported here and elsewhere. The Sea Org has had some fine people in it and I fondly recall many who were there to genuinely help others. Unfortunately, their goodness like the blood of a Dracula victim has been sapped by evil men and women. Lisa has been bitten again and again and her decency and good heart betrayed. She remains in my view a tragic life.

I have missed her and cried for months upon losing her to the Sea Org recruitment. I have born a terrible burden knowing that I played an integral part in her involvement and her family's resulting sorrow. I am indeed sorry for having provided the nudge to what became an overwhelming inertia toward the black hole in Hemet.

Within Lisa is an artist. I am not overly optimistic but hope she may one day join the ranks of those who have left and yet have a fulfilled happy life.

I voluntarily resigned my membership in the IAS in a detailed letter citing among other items, Lisa's horrid recruitment. That was 15 years ago. Like many, I found value in Scientology, but have never regretted my leaving the church. I have lost all friends and almost all contact with my 4 children who have one way or the other been forced to disconnect. I can attest to the fact that Disconnection Policy is alive and well in Scientology, but I doubt readers here will require it.

I wish Lisa well knowing that my wishes will have the effect of a water droplet on the Ocean. To all who knew Lisa, we have shared a unique connection to a lovely person. Perhaps she'll find her way. I for one certainly hope that occurs.

Best to all.

Hello ! guitarasaurus :wave: and :welcome2: :grouphug: :console: SPs welcome here - join the party :party:
:thumbsup::clap:

:scnsucks: and this is WHY

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser

I just found out Bruce & Bonnie were brother & sister - not married as I had thought all these years !

Amyway, I always liked the guy - he seemed such a straight shooter & very smooth.
I just saw Bonnie in the background - never had any interaction with her.

guitarasauras

Wow. Thanks for the amazing flashback. Believe it or not, I still remember when Citizen was playing on MTV in my high school days.

[video=youtube;xcVOQQovOQM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcVOQQovOQM[/video]

I assume Spencer is a relative? Has he disconnected from you? https://www.facebook.com/spencer.marier

Yes, Spencer is one son among three I had during my 11 year marriage to Kathy "Wendell, Condon, Marier, Walley" who continues her involvement as an OT8. I also step fathered Kathy's two girls named Tiffany and Courtney Condon from her previous marriage to Jim Condon of Oregon, a truly nice guy.. Lovely girls.

Spencer was a charming boy though always under his Mom's spell and he is now per reports the Deputy ED at the Nashville Celebrity Center. His elder brother Max is an auditor there.

No contact after official disconnections from all but one of my children. Sad business, but more so for them than me in that I made my decisions based upon my observations and experience. My hope for all is that they seek information and continue or not based upon their own observations and experience. No easy task when ensconced within the paranoid grasp of the church.

guitarasauras

Hello,

Thank you for this beautiful letter and it is very good to hear from you as I have thought about you many times and have even tried to track you down to no avail. I know you but you may not remember me as it was so long ago when we met. You and Lisa were important and integral persons in my initial journey into Scientology. I remember talking to you in the beginning and your down-to-earth explanations made it seem so wonderful and had it remained what you and I both thought it was, neither of us would be here.

My name, when I knew you, was Sindy Sloan and I was just 23 years old. I had even come to your house to sing backing vocals to one of your songs. You were always fun.

I remember the whole time period of Lisa's recruitment and your eventual divorce. Of course it got spun that your purposes were not as strong as hers, etc., regarding the clearing of the planet.

I remember when you got declared and all the hoopla about that and how that was spun too. I asked about you to OSA. I always wondered what happened and now that I think about it, you are the very first person that I actually knew of who got declared. I thought it sucked. I always liked you.

I agree with you about Lisa. She is a wonderful soul -- beautiful, talented, and betrayed. I, too, hope that she will one day work up the courage to leave. Possibly she will find a way to contact you.

I also remember your daughter. I won't mention any names as you have not done so here but I have thought about her many times and wondered what happened with her too. So now I am seeing that she is still "in", yes? That is so unfortunate and I am terribly sorry that you have had to experience such disconnection. You don't deserve it -- all because you saw through the farce and stood up for what you believed and didn't compromise your integrity. I thank you -- a lot -- for that as though it took many, many years for me to leave after you left, you were one of the people that was a foundation for me, gave me strength to a certain degree.

I also remember your kind brother and his wife. I am assuming that they are no longer in, is this correct?

If you don't wish to answer any of this here, I understand. I am not trying to inappropriately probe for info. I am just so happy to hear from you and have always been so curious.

Again, thanks for coming here. I agree with every word you said regarding Lisa. I hope one day, your friendship with her is rekindled. I hope to hear from her too.

Glad you escaped Sindy. I recall Dave too but had no real relationship with him. I do recall you and your singing in my studio with Lisa. I appreciate your thoughtful recollections and I am still fun...LOL

My daughter Jenni is long disconnected and living in North Hollywood per last reports. She is ex SO and likely carries a burden of fear and misinformation. Like Lisa, she was a gentle soul who was perverted by command intention.

I am always pleased when hearing others made their own observations and decisions to leave the church. It is;t an easy task, but rewarding even if quietly so.

visit me at mariermusic.com and sample my more recent years. One sog you;d get a kick out of is Selling The Truth...a rather obvious inspiration.

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP

Yes, Spencer is one son among three I had during my 11 year marriage to Kathy "Wendell, Condon, Marier, Walley" who continues her involvement as an OT8. I also step fathered Kathy's two girls named Tiffany and Courtney Condon from her previous marriage to Jim Condon of Oregon, a truly nice guy..

No contact after official disconnections from all but one of my children. Sad business, but more so for them than me in that I made my decisions based upon my observations and experience. My hope for all is that they seek information and continue or not based upon their own observations and experience. No easy task when ensconced within the paranoid grasp of the church.

Hopefully, one day the kids will wake up to the mindfuck & you will be joined with them, again. Jeremy Powers is a great example. He disconnected from his parents after they left the cult & they reached out to him, repeatedly, in public pronouncements & blogs, and 2 years later, he walked out on his Scientologist wife & got back with his parents. :)

I did some perfunctory research on Spencer & came across a possible relative: Jim Condon. My jaw dropped. I know Jim & Ed very well during my days in Portland, OR. The Condon's have been in Scientology for decades.

everfree

Patron Meritorious

If I may be allowed to go slightly off topic from this lovely thread, there was another female singer I recall who was posted in one of the Freewinds offices through the mid-90s or so. A few times she performed as part of the event. She was quite talented and I always felt bad that she had clearly given up what might have been a promising career if she had pursued it instead of SO. I was glad that she got to perform occasionally. Does anyone happen to know who I am referring to and what happened with her? Slender gal, dark hair, probably late 20s to 30s in the mid-90s. Thanks.

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron

:sadangel: :sadsigh:

scno/co$, the destroyer of hopes and dreams - and lives.

guitarasauras

Hopefully, one day the kids will wake up to the mindfuck & you will be joined with them, again. Jeremy Powers is a great example. He disconnected from his parents after they left the cult & they reached out to him, repeatedly, in public pronouncements & blogs, and 2 years later, he walked out on his Scientologist wife & got back with his parents. :)

I did some perfunctory research on Spencer & came across a possible relative: Jim Condon. My jaw dropped. I know Jim & Ed very well during my days in Portland, OR. The Condon's have been in Scientology for decades.

Spencer's Mom Kathy was married to Jim Condon up to mid 1987 when I married her. The two girls I mentioned as having step fathered were Kathy's and Jim's children. Only in that way does Spencer and his brothers have any connection to Jim. They all now live in Nashville and remain a tightly knit Scientology family. Kathy has a live in BF who I knew years ago named Jeff Magee. A nice enough fellow as I recall. Both being OT8s, it is doubtful they can chance any open communication and in keeping with my honored status they offer none.

One can hope for a return of lost children, and perhaps they too hope for my return to the fold. The former is possible. The latter is not.

Sindy

Crusader

Spencer's Mom Kathy was married to Jim Condon up to mid 1987 when I married her. The two girls I mentioned as having step fathered were Kathy's and Jim's children. Only in that way does Spencer and his brothers have any connection to Jim. They all now live in Nashville and remain a tightly knit Scientology family. Kathy has a live in BF who I knew years ago named Jeff Magee. A nice enough fellow as I recall. Both being OT8s, it is doubtful they can chance any open communication and in keeping with my honored status they offer none.

One can hope for a return of lost children, and perhaps they too hope for my return to the fold. The former is possible. The latter is not.

Oh there is so much I could say here but I won't except to say that Jeff Magee, specifically, has allowed Miscavige to turn him into something that imo has ruined who he once was and who I once really dug. He was super hilarious and though somewhat conservative, still light and fun. Now? Forget it. He got sucked into the hell that is being in charge of the Ideal Org fundraising in Chicago. I wonder how he sleeps at night -- seriously. Way back when I was helping him with the fundraising he expressed slight misgivings, frustrations, doubts....ya know, the ones one can get away with without prompting a KR -- the ones where you can read between the lines.

That was many years ago and like so many people who reach the point of realization that they no longer want to do what they're doing in the cult and yet cannot face it come up with the courage and resolve to leave, they must then lie to themselves forever more and become less and less free. This is where he is, in my opinion. What an unfortunate place to be -- to be in charge of an unethical, behemoth of a project that if one is honest, will never get completed.

I wish them well. They are trapped.

One last thing that I want to tell you and it may or may not be of interest to you is that when I spoke with OSA (MaryAnne Ahmad) about you after you had left, I can see that even she was having a hard time saying anything bad about you. You were very loved. The stories were spun but from what I ever caught wind of (and I was active and on staff too) no one ever vilified you. It was more just surprise and dismay about how you could have been taken out by the real SPs. :) For what it's worth...

guitarasauras

Oh there is so much I could say here but I won't except to say that Jeff Magee, specifically, has allowed Miscavige to turn him into something that imo has ruined who he once was and who I once really dug. He was super hilarious and though somewhat conservative, still light and fun. Now? Forget it. He got sucked into the hell that is being in charge of the Ideal Org fundraising in Chicago. I wonder how he sleeps at night -- seriously. Way back when I was helping him with the fundraising he expressed slight misgivings, frustrations, doubts....ya know, the ones one can get away with without prompting a KR -- the ones where you can read between the lines.

That was many years ago and like so many people who reach the point of realization that they no longer want to do what they're doing in the cult and yet cannot face it come up with the courage and resolve to leave, they must then lie to themselves forever more and become less and less free. This is where he is, in my opinion. What an unfortunate place to be -- to be in charge of an unethical, behemoth of a project that if one is honest, will never get completed.

I wish them well. They are trapped.

One last thing that I want to tell you and it may or may not be of interest to you is that when I spoke with OSA (MaryAnne Ahmad) about you after you had left, I can see that even she was having a hard time saying anything bad about you. You were very loved. The stories were spun but from what I ever caught wind of (and I was active and on staff too) no one ever vilified you. It was more just surprise and dismay about how you could have been taken out by the real SPs. :) For what it's worth...

Sindy, you've made a great stride for Justice in saying just a few words. Holding on to what I knew was decent about myself was difficult in face of the lies perpetrated by the CofS and specifically the S.O. who had some major overts in Lisa's recruitment. My letters to DM and others only served to display that I was indeed not unconscious nor under control. I experienced some wonderful gain and made many friends in Scientology. The church was itself not among that gain and I have been amazed by how the many friends made were so thinly cast.. I did however best it all and remained myself. That it was heartbreaking is testament to how much I loved Lisa and the subject. Your observations and kind line of thinking sits well in my soul. I welcome continued comm with you and please write me via [email protected]. It is wonderful having someone to talk with that takes little if any background setting. Common experience is truly the "picture" that saves a thousand words.

Sindy

Crusader

Sindy, you've made a great stride for Justice in saying just a few words. Holding on to what I knew was decent about myself was difficult in face of the lies perpetrated by the CofS and specifically the S.O. who had some major overts in Lisa's recruitment. My letters to DM and others only served to display that I was indeed not unconscious nor under control. I experienced some wonderful gain and made many friends in Scientology. The church was itself not among that gain and I have been amazed by how the many friends made were so thinly cast.. I did however best it all and remained myself. That it was heartbreaking is testament to how much I loved Lisa and the subject. Your observations and kind line of thinking sits well in my soul. I welcome continued comm with you and please write me via [email protected]. It is wonderful having someone to talk with that takes little if any background setting. Common experience is truly the "picture" that saves a thousand words.

Wonderful. Thank you. We will be in touch. It will be beneficial. :)