What's new

Marty Rathbun nearly murdered in 1978

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
I agree, Leland.

Marty/Mark was an angry man back then. Everyone was promoting joining the TTC, and he could have as easily joined ASHO or AOLA or Flag to be an auditor, but he chose the GO.

My recollection from that era was that newbie SO members didn't have a choice where they ended up. You could be told you were going one place and be doing something you wanted, but then end up being sent somewhere else, and being that the SO is a bit like the army, you go where you're ordered. I was recruited for Golden Era Productions aka SU, but shortly after routing in, found myself in the GO office filling out paperwork. I have only a vague recollection of this. I'm guessing they found me unqualified or something, because I did end up at Gold after a few months.

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
I read somewhere, Marty wrote that he got into the Cult because he had a mentally ill brother...and wanted to study Hubbard as a method to help him.

I don't know anything about Marty's time line in the Cult in relation to his brother....

But now, Just Sheila, posts above that Marty directly joined the GO....

It just doesn't make any sense to me....

I would assume that if Marty had a mentally ill brother....that at one time or another....he would have been involved with some Psychiatrist .....somewhere...in dealing with his brother.....or his family did.

That IMO would make Marty an Illegal PC....and I just don't see how he would have been acceptable to the GO or the SO....as a recruit....??

I really don't care....just seems odd.

If Marty wanted to study Hubbard to try to help his brother.....why join the GO....why not join to become an auditor...?

In Marty's books, he pretty much says his only involvement with the psychiatrists was to fight them legally to become his brother's guardian. As far as family therapy, not at all. So he's no more an illegal PC than the Scientologists that signed Lisa McPherson out of the hospital, IMO.

Leland

Crusader
In Marty's books, he pretty much says his only involvement with the psychiatrists was to fight them legally to become his brother's guardian. As far as family therapy, not at all. So he's no more an illegal PC than the Scientologists that signed Lisa McPherson out of the hospital, IMO.

Thanks NoName.

It is a small point....and I appreciate your post. I have not read Marty's book.

But if it came to Marty fighting for legal custody of his brother....then PRIOR ...to deciding to do so.....he must have had involvement of some sort...with them...?

I'll have to read the entire "Illegal PC Policy" again sometime.

In my own situation.....I was classified as an "Illegal PC" because of what my father and other immediate family members did for a living.....and I had thought that this was the same case with any Psychiatric involvement....perhaps I'm wrong.

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
Thanks NoName.

It is a small point....and I appreciate your post. I have not read Marty's book.

But if it came to Marty fighting for legal custody of his brother....then PRIOR ...to deciding to do so.....he must have had involvement of some sort...with them...?

In my own situation.....I was classified as an "Illegal PC" because of what my father and other immediate family members did for a living.....and I had thought that this was the same case with any Psychiatric involvement....perhaps I'm wrong.

The extent of his involvement was visiting his brother in the state's nut hut a few times and exchanging words with a few nurses and doctors over his brother's treatment. No family therapy or anything of that sort.

If you find the illegal PC policy, let me know and post it here. To my recollection this wouldn't make Marty an illegal PC. And then I'm sure the interpretation has evolved to make more people illegal PC's because the cult just gets more and more out exchange as time goes by.

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
I read somewhere, Marty wrote that he got into the Cult because he had a mentally ill brother...and wanted to study Hubbard as a method to help him.

I don't know anything about Marty's time line in the Cult in relation to his brother....

But now, Just Sheila, posts above that Marty directly joined the GO....

It just doesn't make any sense to me....

Keep in mind that it was/is a common occurrence for a SO recruiter to promise the moon and the stars to get the prospect to sign. I have heard numerous stories of people being told if they join, they will be trained to be an auditor (or whatever their hot button is), but they get in and wind up doing anything else EXCEPT train to audit, or do what they were told they could do. It is also possible that Marty was told "we're going to clean up the field of mental healing and you can help by going in the GO". I don't claim to know for sure in Marty's case because I wasn't there, but I know the bait and switch routine is prevalent at all levels in the cult.

Terril park

Sponsor
Thanks NoName.

A post from Dean Blair from 2010:-

Note Leland your illegal PC status would come under A-J policy.

Dean Blair
Aug 2010

The policy that covers this is HCO Policy Letter 6 Dec 1976RB Illegal Pcs, Acceptance Of.
It says that an auditor cannot accept for processing and process any pc:
"2. Who has an extensive institutional or psychiatric history which includes heavy drugs, shocks of various kinds and/or so-called psychiatric brain operations.
By "institutional history" is meant having been knowingly or unknowingly given treatment as described in (2) above in a public or private institution for the insane, a psychiartric ward in a hospital, a psychiatrist's, psychologist's or other mental practitioner's clinic or office or a mental health center."

If you have access to the Policy Letter volumes, you can find this in Volume 1, page 904.
It would be best to read the whole of the policy letter as it explains why this policy exists.

As another poster mentioned, being classified as PTS A-J would also make you ineligible for auditing.

If you are on ESMB you are probably also ineligible for auditing as well as going to any of the independent Scientology web sites or web sites that are anti Scientology.

I used to believe that being an illegal PC was a fate worse than death but have come to believe that it is actually a blessing.

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
the "X" in this instance stands for "expanded" .......and not ten.

It was called OT III expanded....

It was a actual OT Level....that is not offered these days.

OK, but the way it is spelled is says OT 7 - otherwise, they would have spelled it "OTIII X". But, since I've never Xperienced it, I can't say how "effective" Study Tech can be. :giggle:

DeeAnna

Patron Meritorious
One account of this woman's death has her "crawling along a sidewalk on all fours" and the official police report has her sitting in the driver's seat of a car? That's a heck of a discrepancy!

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
the "X" in this instance stands for "expanded" .......and not ten.

It was called OT III expanded....

It was a actual OT Level....that is not offered these days.

Yes, you're absolutely right Lee, as can be seeen from my treason goldenrod.

attachment.php

mygr.jpg

Despite the fact that they wrote OT 111X instead of OT IIIX. Doh!

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
One account of this woman's death has her "crawling along a sidewalk on all fours" and the official police report has her sitting in the driver's seat of a car? That's a heck of a discrepancy!

Yeah, there's a few discrepancies in the story, and different sources of information. It's been over 30 years, and people may remember things differently, not to mention that any good cultie would lie to try to keep the cult's "good PR" out of the dirt.

Also, there are those who don't think anyone should ask any questions about this case.

I think any and ALL murders having to do with the cult should be looked at with a laser light, and any witnesses with information should come forward and say what they know or what they witnessed (not hearsay), and not just slink away and try to forget.

"We may be through with the past....but the past ain't through with us."

Last edited: