What's new

Time to say goodbye

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
I tried. I really tried to convince myself I could keep doing this, but I can't. ESMB will be closed to new registrations and new posts on September 30th at 12pm AEST. The board will remain live and searchable for as long as I'm able to use a keyboard (hopefully at least another 25 years), but it will be in an archival state only.

Thanks everyone for being a part of history. It's been a wild ride for the last 12.5 years. We were there to hear the amazing and tragic stories of many first time posters. We saw the rise of anonymous in 2008 and mass global protests. We saw and celebrated the Australian senate hearings in 2009/2010. We watched Marty Rathbun then Mike Rinder blow Scientology and begin to speak out around the same time, something we never saw coming, or even thought possible. We watched Tony Ortega take a stand against Scientology in the Village Voice, then later The Underground Bunker. We've seen movies, books, documentaries, Emmy winning TV shows all showcasing the cruelty of Scientology. We've watched major celebrities blow. We've seen the rise of YouTube channels, Facebook groups and blogs. I'd like to think that ESMB played a small part in creating the environment to allow these things to occur. In the beginning ESMB gave people a chance to tell their stories in a welcoming platform that hadn't existed previously.

We've heard stories that hadn't been told before, from men and women who were there with Hubbard right from the start. Who could forget the stories from Alan Walter and Dart Smohen? Who will ever forget reading the stories as they emerged from Bea Kiddo, Alanzo, Scooter, Kevin & Vicky Mackey, Free To Shine, Mick Wenlock, Sallydance, Denise Brennan, Good Twin, Carmel, the list goes on and on.

There have been good times and bad. Wars and marriages (at least 4 I know of), fun times and the grief of losing beloved friends. Real relationships were forged and lifetime friends/enemies made. We've had it all.

I spent the entirety of my 40s in a failed marriage and as the owner of ESMB. Both of those things need to end so I can move forward with the next stage of my life.

I have not done this alone. I'd especially like to thank Ethercat and Mick for bearing so much of the strain when I couldn't. Also the moderators who helped out tremendously when the post count got so high I couldn't manage on my own. They may not want to be named but you know who you are. The donors who kept it afloat. The posters who have stuck around with me from the very early days and welcomed all subsequent newcomers. Everyone who has ever posted to ESMB has contributed in some way to this community. Thank you - all of you.

Next steps:
Make sure you have the contact details of your friends.

Private messages will be purged after September 30th in case we ever get hacked. I wish there was a way to download them but there isn't. If there is a particular conversation you want to keep, then just go to the conversation, right mouse click and "save as" webpage complete. It won't look as pretty but it will be saved in html format and you can still browse the page. Probably the easiest thing to do is to delete the conversations that you don't need, and then save the rest. Please spread the word to others that if they want to save their messages they need to do so before the deadline.

Join groups, get involved with blogs or reclaim some spare time.

On September 30th the board will be closed for a few hours while I change the settings to prevent new posts and new registrations.

ESMB members will still be able to login to ESMB to read the members section.

Someone start a new message board. A new installation of XenForo costs $160 USD and hosting can be had for $10 a month. A new board will have a small database so will fit on cheap hosting. Call it "Friends of ESMB" or something. I will gladly help someone set it up and would even pay for it myself if necessary. It's not that hard to set up - really. The hard part is running it.

I think that's about it. This is a selfish decision and I know it. I know I will be upsetting a lot of people and I'm sorry, but I think it's time for me now. I'm sure there will be questions so let's get them asked and answered.

Last edited:

Voodoo

Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow
I tried. I really tried to convince myself I could keep doing this, but I can't. ESMB will be closed to new registrations and new posts on September 30th at 12pm AEST. The board will remain live and searchable for as long as I'm able to use a keyboard (hopefully at least another 25 years), but it will be in an archival state only.

Thanks everyone for being a part of history. It's been a wild ride for the last 12.5 years. We were there to hear the amazing and tragic stories of many first time posters. We saw the rise of anonymous in 2008 and mass global protests. We saw and celebrated the Australian senate hearings in 2009/2010. We watched Marty Rathbun then Mike Rinder blow Scientology and begin to speak out around the same time, something we never saw coming, or even thought possible. We watched Tony Ortega take a stand against Scientology in the Village Voice, then later The Underground Bunker. We've seen movies, books, documentaries, Emmy winning TV shows all showcasing the cruelty of Scientology. We've watched major celebrities blow. We've seen the rise of YouTube channels, Facebook groups and blogs. I'd like to think that ESMB played a small part in creating the environment to allow these things to occur. In the beginning ESMB gave people a chance to tell their stories in a welcoming platform that hadn't existed previously.

We've heard stories that hadn't been told before, from men and women who were there with Hubbard right from the start. Who could forget the stories from Alan Walter and Dart Smohen? Who will ever forget reading the stories as they emerged from Bea Kiddo, Alanzo, Scooter, Kevin & Vicky Mackey, Free To Shine, Mick Wenlock, Sallydance, Denise Brennan, Good Twin, Carmel, the list goes on and on.

There have been good times and bad. Wars and marriages (at least 4 I know of), fun times and the grief of losing beloved friends. Real relationships were forged and lifetime friends/enemies made. We've had it all.

I spent the entirety of my 40s in a failed marriage and as the owner of ESMB. Both of those things need to end so I can move forward with the next stage of my life.

I have not done this alone. I'd especially like to thank Ethercat for bearing so much of the strain when I couldn't. Also the moderators who helped out tremendously when the post count got so high I couldn't manage on my own. They may not want to be named but you know who you are. The donors who kept it afloat. The posters who have stuck around with me from the very early days and welcomed all subsequent newcomers. Everyone who has ever posted to ESMB has contributed in some way to this community. Thank you - all of you.

Next steps:

Private messages will be purged after September 30th in case we ever get hacked. I wish there was a way to download them but there isn't. If there is a particular conversation you want to keep, then just go to the conversation, right mouse click and "save as" webpage complete. It won't look as pretty but it will be saved in html format and you can still browse the page. Probably the easiest thing to do is to delete the conversations that you don't need, and then save the rest. Please spread the word to others that if they want to save their messages they need to do so before the deadline.

On September 30th the board will be closed for a few hours while I change the settings to prevent new posts and new registrations.

Someone start a new message board. A new installation of XenForo costs $160 USD and hosting can be had for $10 a month. A new board will have a small database so will fit on cheap hosting. Call it "Friends of ESMB" or something. I will gladly help someone set it up and would even pay for it myself if necessary. It's not that hard to set up - really. The hard part is running it.

I think that's about it. This is a selfish decision and I know it. I know I will be upsetting a lot of people and I'm sorry, but I think it's time for me now. I'm sure there will be questions so let's get them asked and answered.
I've only been here a short time, but I'm gonna miss this place when it's gone. I'm just glad I was able to experience ESMB for as long as I have. It's been the best experience I've had with any Scn related online group.

Thank you, Emma. I hope to see someone grab the baton from you and run with it.

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
p.s. My daughter got engaged last night which clinched the decision for me. I have a wedding to help arrange and grandbabies in the mix soon (I hope).

Gib

Crusader

I have not done this alone. I'd especially like to thank Ethercat for bearing so much of the strain when I couldn't. Also the moderators who helped out tremendously when the post count got so high I couldn't manage on my own. They may not want to be named but you know who you are. The donors who kept it afloat. The posters who have stuck around with me from the very early days and welcomed all subsequent newcomers. Everyone who has ever posted to ESMB has contributed in some way to this community. Thank you - all of you.

Next steps:

party pooper

Leland

Crusader
Thanks for all your work Emma. Really doesn't cover the extent of your influence....and the safe space you made.

Question: Will hot links work? I am assuming so.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
I don't think it is selfish at all Emma, and I don't think anyone who matters will be upset with you. Upset that the forum is inactive, perhaps, but not with you.

You are shutting it down on your terms after a heroic effort. I'm amazed you did it for so long.

Take pride in your accomplishment.

TOBB

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
Thanks for all your work Emma. Really doesn't cover the extent of your influence....and safe space you made.

Question: Will hot links work? I am assuming so.
Yes they will. Not to the members section but that's always been the case.

JustSheila

Crusader
Well okay then. Bon voyage and thanks for all the fish.

M, I’m glad you’re doing what’s right for you and wish you every happiness. I’m grateful you created this forum, for all the wonderful folks here, for all we’ve learned, shared and grown together and to everyone who kept it going in a friendly, positive direction.

It was fun and I hope you always smile looking back at it.

Thanks to everyone who shared a part of themselves and their lives here with me. You are treasured friends and I hope we stay in touch.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
@Emma

Thanks for all you have done in establishing this message board and maintaining it for many years. :)

When you turn it off I will be leaving Scientology topics behind me. No more for me.

I will be spending much more time with relatives and tech groups on facebook and getting into TensorFlow (artificial intelligence).

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I understand, probably more than most.

Coming back in the last couple of weeks after 2 years away was actually quite an emotional struggle, a reminder of how I felt when I first came here in 2007 with shaky hands and buckets of tears and how much that has changed. And all the other people in the same position. My goodness how far we came!

I've struggled here sometimes and I rage quit more than once. (That in itself is quite a life lesson if you can examine your own motives and emotions.) Yet ESMB is not only an amazing achievement in the face of a corporate cult, it’s also a testimony to the sheer grit of ex-scientologists (and wonderful never-ins like Ethercat) and the place community has in our lives. Lives were actually saved. I know I did all I could to keep it going for a decade, and did my best to pay it forward to those who needed what I found.

It’s too much of a load for one person and on a personal level I wish you the peace and comfort that is possible from a normal life. I found it, both as a result of my time here and the support of some wonderful friends. We really do need to look after ourselves, follow our gut and do what is right for us. It's not selfish, it's the best way to live. I have grandbabies now I can actually play with (one still disconnected and now an adult), what a joy, there is nothing quite like it.

Thankyou for putting ESMB here and I wish you joy too.

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
I understand, probably more than most.

Coming back in the last couple of weeks after 2 years away was actually quite an emotional struggle, a reminder of how I felt when I first came here in 2007 with shaky hands and buckets of tears and how much that has changed. And all the other people in the same position. My goodness how far we came!

I've struggled here sometimes and I rage quit more than once. (That in itself is quite a life lesson if you can examine your own motives and emotions.) Yet ESMB is not only an amazing achievement in the face of a corporate cult, it’s also a testimony to the sheer grit of ex-scientologists (and wonderful never-ins like Ethercat) and the place community has in our lives. Lives were actually saved. I know I did all I could to keep it going for a decade, and did my best to pay it forward to those who needed what I found.

It’s too much of a load for one person and on a personal level I wish you the peace and comfort that is possible from a normal life. I found it, both as a result of my time here and the support of some wonderful friends. We really do need to look after ourselves, follow our gut and do what is right for us. It's not selfish, it's the best way to live. I have grandbabies now I can actually play with (one still disconnected and now an adult), what a joy, there is nothing quite like it.

Thankyou for putting ESMB here and I wish you joy too.
Thank you FTS. That means a lot coming from you.:flowers2:

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Atque in perpetuum, soror, ave atque vale.

It has indeed been a wild and glorious ride. Thank you for everything you have done Ems. I know this has been a hard decision for you but I think it is the best decision.

Good luck to us all...:cool:

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
I am grateful Emma you made this only ESMB available for more than a decade.

You took a lot while running this board and it comes a time we have to move on with our life, especially in times of change: new challenges and happy moments are to come for you.

Thank you, for this dedication, also a special thanks to Ethercat, who was a never in and kept the board running smoothly and to the the several mods who contributed. Thanks to the wonderful people here who are generous, who shared, who are warmth and welcoming joyful sweet beings; you taught me more than you could ever imagined.

Best wishes to you Emma, and to your daughter for a happy next decade; Take great care of you; life goes so fast.

:cool:
I will miss people here!

Last edited:

Glenda

Crusader
Dear Emma,
With all of my heart thank you for establishing ESMB and maintaining it all these years.

I am sad but my sadness is irrelevant at this time. I am proud of you for taking this step, in a sisterhood kind of way. I cannot fully understand what it might have been like for you over the years. I can only imagine. This community can often be a tough crowd. And can also be a damn funny one. ESMB has been many things to many people over the years. History has been made and witnessed. If you don't feel pride about that, yet, please let this be a reminder to do so when you are ready.

Go well Emma. May your life be full of everything good. Oh and may your daughter and her life-partner have a long and happy marriage. My warmest congratulations to them.

With love and respect
Glenda (formerly known as SallyDannce)

p.s. About this forthcoming wedding...can we all attend if we promise to behave? ;)