What's new

Is Danny Elfman a scientologist? And question about it in industry

Venus

Patron
Assuming this might be the best kinda forum to ask? Or so I've been told. I'm new.
Oingo is my favorite band and Elfman my favorite composer/musician. Sorry if this crosses any lines. Feel free to delete then.

Has anyone here met him? Or the Elfmans?
As for scientology..this has always baffled me..if he was one.
I know its very public knowledge that his brother Richard and Bodhi (Richard's kid and Jenna) are scientologists but there's been absolutely nothing regarding Danny and the religion.
Only thing I've ever heard was that he said he became atheist when he was a kid. But, I know atheists can also be scientologists, too.

This question comes up very often in Oingo Boingo fan circles but its never once been confirmed either way.

Also, what's the prevalence that you guys encounter scientology in the music biz? However, my opinion on the religion is neutral. No real opinion one way or another as I guess.

Sorry if this sounds weird. lol

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Assuming this might be the best kinda forum to ask? Or so I've been told. I'm new.
Oingo is my favorite band and Elfman my favorite composer/musician. Sorry if this crosses any lines. Feel free to delete then.

I know its very public knowledge that his brother Richard and Bodhi (Richard's kid and Jenna) are scientologists but there's been absolutely nothing regarding Danny and the religion.
Only thing I've ever heard was that he said he became atheist when he was a kid. But, I know atheists can also be scientologists, too.

This question comes up very often in Oingo Boingo fan circles but its never once been confirmed either way.

Also, what's the prevalence that you guys encounter scientology in the music biz? However, my opinion on the religion is neutral. No real opinion one way or another as I guess.

Danny's brother Bodhi is married to Jenna Elfman, and they are long time out and proud Celebrity Church of Scientologists.

It is my understanding that Danny was never interested in Scientology and stayed tf out.

As far as Scientology in the music biz, while there are many fantastic musicians who are scientologists, such as Chic Corea, Beck and others, no real power foothold in music production or management was ever made by Scientology. Not like they were able to achieve in the movie business.

All of this is on the wane for them. They will need a complete re-brand and a couple generations to pass before they can try again.

But you know what? To these guys, it will all just be a "new unit of time".

Venus

Patron
Danny's brother Bodhi is married to Jenna Elfman, and they are long time out and proud Celebrity Church of Scientologists.

It is my understanding that Danny was never interested in Scientology and stayed tf out.

As far as Scientology in the music biz, while there are many fantastic musicians who are scientologists, such as Chic Corea, Beck and others, no real power foothold in music production or management was ever made by Scientology. Not like they were able to achieve in the movie business.

All of this is on the wane for them. They will need a complete re-brand and a couple generations to pass before they can try again.

But you know what? To these guys, it will all just be a "new unit of time".

Interesting.
Firstly thank you for your reply.
And what brought you to conclusion he was wanting to stay out of it? Just curious..hes like never said a word on it. Ever. Shocked no interviewer even ever asked him, too. Unless it's a no topic request.
If you don't wanna say on here, you can private message me.

Anything said here I wont repeat. So, dont worry.

Kinda surprised about the music industry part of it. So, it's more of a huge prevalence in the movie biz then? I always hear how it supposedly "controls" the tv and movie industry but doesn't seem to be a mass amount of admitted ones...except the ones we all know about.

Also..is all the stuff leah remini has said about scientology truthful? Or exaggerated?

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Interesting.
Firstly thank you for your reply.
And what brought you to conclusion he was wanting to stay out of it? Just curious..hes like never said a word on it. Ever. Shocked no interviewer even ever asked him, too. Unless it's a no topic request.
If you don't wanna say on here, you can private message me.

Anything said here I wont repeat. So, dont worry.

Kinda surprised about the music industry part of it. So, it's more of a huge prevalence in the movie biz then? I always hear how it supposedly "controls" the tv and movie industry but doesn't seem to be a mass amount of admitted ones...except the ones we all know about.

Also..is all the stuff leah remini has said about scientology truthful? Or exaggerated?
Some truthful, some exaggerated.

And I wouldn't say scientology controls anything in movies or TV. They just have more resources there than in the music industry.

Venus

Patron
Some truthful, some exaggerated.

And I wouldn't say scientology controls anything in movies or TV. They just have more resources there than in the music industry.

And about the Danny thing?
I'd private message but no idea how to in here? I'm using mobile.

How long has scientology even been a presence in the industry? I never really started hearing about it until it came out Travolta was one.
And do you work in the industry,too?

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
And about the Danny thing?
I'd private message but no idea how to in here? I'm using mobile.

How long has scientology even been a presence in the industry? I never really started hearing about it until it came out Travolta was one.
And do you work in the industry,too?
As far as Danny goes, I was a musician in LA during most of the 90s in and out of scientology and non scientology bands. This is what I've heard from scientology musicians whenever the subject came up.

He was a "wog". I could be wrong, tho. Just what I was told.

Venus

Patron
As far as Danny goes, I was a musician in LA during most of the 90s in and out of scientology and non scientology bands. This is what I've heard from scientology musicians whenever the subject came up.

What's a wog?

Venus

Patron

Were these popular and big bands there?

Ohhh...yeah this reminds me. Is scientology mainly a California centric thing? Never hear about it being huge in like NYC etc

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Were these popular and big bands there?

Ohhh...yeah this reminds me. Is scientology mainly a California centric thing? Never hear about it being huge in like NYC etc
No. Just bar bands and such.

LA area has the most Scientologists in it. It's pretty much waning there and everywhere.

Venus

Patron
No. Just bar bands and such.

LA area has the most Scientologists in it. It's pretty much waning there and everywhere.

That's what I thought. About LA.

What's with the story of early oingo boingo when it was run by Richard elfman being a front for scientology and like supposedly set up with some touring company that ran that kinda thing? I'd read it on some tony ortega blog thing. Before danny Took over, that is.

And what kinda stuff did they say regarding Danny's aversion to it? If you dont mind my askin .

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
That's what I thought. About LA.

What's with the story of early oingo boingo when it was run by Richard elfman being a front for scientology and like supposedly set up with some touring company that ran that kinda thing? I'd read it on some tony ortega blog thing. Before danny Took over, that is.

And what kinda stuff did they say regarding Danny's aversion to it? If you dont mind my askin .
I don't know much about the history of oingo boingo.

The thing about scientology is that it is an ideology that turns you pretty much into a pinheaded fanatic. And that kind of thing can break up bands and ruin creativity. Most musicians run screaming from it.

It was my understanding that Danny was one of those musicians.

Venus

Patron
I don't know much about the history of oingo boingo.

The thing about scientology is that it is an ideology that turns you pretty much into a pinheaded fanatic. And that kind of thing can break up bands and ruin creativity. Most musicians run screaming from it.

It was my understanding that Danny was one of those musicians.

What kind of stuff did people say?

And curious what hes like , too? Always heard he was a really cool and fun person.
That true?

Sorry for all these danny questions. Just had heard some stuff through the fan circles and I am a really big fan and even tho I'm neutral and dont know much about the ideology to form a very set opinion, it would still be very odd if he was and it might change a bit of hiw I see their music. But that's really about it. In case anyone wonders.

Shocked he and Richard are still on good terms tho. Hes doing the soundtrack to Richard's latest film project.

But I'd heard at family things they all decided to never bring up religion or politics, so...who knows.

Veda

Sponsor
-snip-

The thing about scientology is that it is an ideology that turns you pretty much into a pinheaded fanatic.

-snip-
Sounds a lot like "brainwashing."

And remember it's supposed to be a "minority religion."

You're straying from the script.

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron

Atheists "can also be Scientologists" but I can't imagine one who would want to be.

I would recommend the 1 hour HBO documentary "Going Clear" as a quick introduction to Scientology. It's a religion that abuses and takes advantage of children and their parents.

original

trailer-going-clear_1920.jpg

https://www.hbo.com/documentaries/going-clear

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
@Venus Alanzo is very unpopular on this board right now, so you'll run into that on this thread. I don't see anything particularly false in his answers to you, though, although I didn't know he was a musician.

Search box in top right. Or google with site:exscn.net "eat fruit" apple -banana +cherries etc, but googling won't search the members-only section.

Paul

Last edited:

Venus

Patron
@Venus Alanzo is very unpopular on this board right now, so you'll run into that on this thread. I don't see anything particularly false in his answers to you, though, although I didn't know he was a musician.

Search box in top right. Or google with site:exscn.net "eat fruit" apple -banana +cherries etc, but googling won't search the members-only section.

Paul

Still dont see the search thing .
Could it be because I'm using mobile?

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Still dont see the search thing .
Could it be because I'm using mobile?
Ah, yes. I just checked my Android phone. In the menu bar there's ... at the end. Click that and there are 4 more items, one of which is Search forums. Click that and have fun.

Paul