What's new

How many Scientologists do you think there are?

owl

Patron with Honors
My apologies if this has been posted before recently but I was just wondering how many Scientologists there are, or how many you guess they are (and reasoning why)

I feel like I can't really trust what the church says because they seem to lie or exaggerate things for the "greatest good". I was told many times that there are over 100,000 Scientologists in L.A. alone. I find that hard to believe. I remember seeing the photoshopped images of people at the events.

And I don't consider someone who has read a book or done a course a Scientologist. Only people who are currently active in the church.

My apologies if this has been posted before recently but I was just wondering how many Scientologists there are, or how many you guess they are (and reasoning why)

I feel like I can't really trust what the church says because they seem to lie or exaggerate things for the "greatest good". I was told many times that there are over 100,000 Scientologists in L.A. alone. I find that hard to believe. I remember seeing the photoshopped images of people at the events.

And I don't consider someone who has read a book or done a course a Scientologist. Only people who are currently active in the church.

If I had to guess I'd say under 50,000 total active members of the cult world wide ... and shrinking, they claimed to have over 250,000 in Australia, but the official Census says 2,406

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
What's a Scientologist? Someone who considers themself (lovely word) one? Someone who bought a Scn book once, even if they threw it away ten minutes later? Someone who did a course once? Someone who said they are on a census?

I'm not being tricky. What are you trying to count exactly? The word all by itself is extremely vague.

Paul

justaguy

Patron Meritorious
usually, when answering that kind of question, the answer is someone who self-identifies as a scientologist, at least in the western world. Applying western religious survey methodology to Asia leads to interesting results, since, for example, many japanese will call themselves buddhist but incorporate significant amounts of shinto practice into their lives.

in americaland, europeland, and australialand, asking for a self-identification of religion should be a decent way to go about it.

We may not know how many Sceintologists there are but we do know Hubbard claims there there is currently 169,351,330 suppressive people on the planet ... and growing.

Last edited:

pollywannacracker

Patron Meritorious
Is the number of suppressives the 2.5% of the population? Or are you counting all of us on this board as well? :p

To answer the original question. The number of Scientologists are too many; but fewer than in previous years. :cheerleader: GIMME AN X, GIMME AN E, GIMME AN N, GIMME A U! WHAT'S THAT SPELL? XENU!!! :cheerleader:

owl

Patron with Honors
What's a Scientologist? Someone who considers themself (lovely word) one? Someone who bought a Scn book once, even if they threw it away ten minutes later? Someone who did a course once? Someone who said they are on a census?

I'm not being tricky. What are you trying to count exactly? The word all by itself is extremely vague.

Paul

I just explained what I considered someone a Scientologist. Not someone who has just read a book or a course but someone who is currently active in the church.

seriously how did you not read this "And I don't consider someone who has read a book or done a course a Scientologist. Only people who are currently active in the church."

Ted

Gold Meritorious Patron
I just explained what I considered someone a Scientologist. Not someone who has just read a book or a course but someone who is currently active in the church.

seriously how did you not read this "And I don't consider someone who has read a book or done a course a Scientologist. Only people who are currently active in the church."

How many scientologists are there? About enough to put together a good baseball team with 10,000 or so managers, and 300 rich spectators. :thumbsup:

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
It seems likely that even of Scientologists still considered in 'good standing', and even 'publicly' identifying as Scientologists, a significant percentage are only still identifying as such to avoid harassment, disconnection and general nastiness by the 'Church'.

Zinj

justaguy

Patron Meritorious
any such survey would have to be private and anonymous. otherwise what would be measured is what religion that person wants other people to think they are, what what they identify themselves as to, well, themselves.

AnonOrange

Gold Meritorious Patron
About 18 months ago I search Facebook and Myspace for Scientologists. (People that claimed scientology as their religion) In both cases the search result maxed out the search output count. (5000) if I remember well. Now I can't seem to search for people's religion on either Facebook or Myspace anymore.

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
Here's my smart ass, had a cocktail, have cramps and no sleep due to puppy problems answer. :happydance:

Two - the Susan somebody that keeps calling me and DM, since he does all the work.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire

Sorry! Pretty stupid of me, huh? I didn't really read past the headline. The question has been discussed here on a couple of threads, the last one a couple of months ago. I didn't feel like repeating all the data, but because of my unwarranted assumption I didn't know what you were looking for. Search on ESMB and you'll find the best estimates.

Again, you'll need to define "currently active" into something countable. People who've been to at least one of the past two events? Four events? People who've physically set foot in an org in the past three weeks? Or month? Or six months? Those exact figures exist, although we don't know them. If you specify exactly what you want, the number could maybe be estimated again, though.

Paul

Sorry! Pretty stupid of me, huh? I didn't really read past the headline. The question has been discussed here on a couple of threads, the last one a couple of months ago. I didn't feel like repeating all the data, but because of my unwarranted assumption I didn't know what you were looking for. Search on ESMB and you'll find the best estimates.

Again, you'll need to define "currently active" into something countable. People who've been to at least of the past two events? Four events? People who've physically set foot in an org in the past three weeks? Or month? Or six months? Those exact figures exist, although we don't know them. If you specify exactly what you want, the number could maybe be estimated again, though.

Paul

I'm sure there are many ways to define it, but the way I look at it is if everyone on the planet was asked to write down what religious belief they subscribe to in a fill in the blank fashion, such as Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Taoism, Atheist, SubGenius, Scientology, I could care less, The Cult Of The Dead Cow, ... est.

How many would write down Scientology

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
How many Scientologists?

Seriously? Over ten million (*).

I am counting the released BT's. They are all Clears!

Next event DM announces a huge breakthrough enabling all freed BTs to buy the Basics & a Clear bracelet.

Hip Hip Hooray!

(*) Using the Hubbard Standard Tech Calculator, not homo sap's degraded, fake science of mathematics.

How many Scientologists?

Seriously? Over ten million.

I am counting the released BT's. They are all Clears!

Next event DM announces a huge breakthrough enabling all freed BTs to buy the Basics & a Clear bracelet.

Hip Hip Hooray!

the BTs may have been asleep for 75,000,000 years but they weren't born yesterday, if they're interested in Scientology, it's strictly for the laughs like the rest of us.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
the BTs may have been asleep for 75,000,000 years but they weren't born yesterday, if they're interested in Scientology, it's strictly for the laughs like the rest of us.

Hell yeah!

I just realized, BT's are the most elite, able of the able. Forget Cruise, BT's are the most dedicated Scientologists I know.

They are so upstat they get free auditing, never have to contribute to IAS or Ideal Orgs & never have to take a beat-down from DM.