What's new

Yesterday...

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
Good to see you have the Pledgie up, Emma.

Is there any way to make the amount raised invisible?

You don't want the cult to know how big the war chest is.

Not if I want o be transparent. I can't have it both ways.

Unless you want to be the accountant???? :happydance:

Carmel

Crusader
Not if I want o be transparent. I can't have it both ways.

Unless you want to be the accountant???? :happydance:
You could be "transparent" with it and show accounts, after it's all cleared up and everything is done and dusted........I think Alanzo's idea is a good one. I'm sure that those willing to donate wouldn't have a problem with it at all.

secretiveoldfag

Silver Meritorious Patron
Personally I'd rather make any donation anonymously and leave it entirely to Emma how she uses it, now, for herself, for the forum, for future defence, for information-gathering.

I feel I owe her at least that.

G

Gottabrain

You could be "transparent" with it and show accounts, after it's all cleared up and everything is done and dusted........I think Alanzo's idea is a good one. I'm sure that those willing to donate wouldn't have a problem with it at all.

Excellent suggestion!!

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
If I continue to use Pledgie it's going to be open. You can't have a closed Pledgie.

So what next?

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Why does it matter if the cult knows how much money she has gathered? It's not like they can't outspend her by a factor of literally thousands to one if the dwarf wills it.

Paul

Magoo

Gold Meritorious Patron
$2,045 raised! Whoo hooo!

:clap::hattip::dance3:<<to all here who help expose these rats and support this fund.

To the OSA Ops: :bug:

Best!

Tory/Magoo

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
Why does it matter if the cult knows how much money she has gathered? It's not like they can't outspend her by a factor of literally thousands to one if the dwarf wills it.

Paul

Of course they can outspend her (us) by any amount of money, but their accountants would sure like to convert some variables into constants, so that they can tell DM EXACTLY how much money is necessary to outspend Emma. I'd like some more variables in the game, though.

So yeah, it does matter...

T

TheSneakster

Criminal charges, not Civil.

DM's Endless Millions(tm) are entirely irrelevent for this. :D

G

Gottabrain

If I continue to use Pledgie it's going to be open. You can't have a closed Pledgie.

So what next?

Emma, I like that you are being transparent to your donors. Then none can question your integrity. But its not just the C of S that may judge this as a resource. For example, attorneys can be keenly interested in charging as much as they possibly can and the info will be easily available to them with a simple Google search.

Since you've decided to go with complete transparency, my opinion (as a qualified bookkeeper) is this doesn't require any major accounting for the sake of donors. Perhaps a post or two of any big legal bills and a simple expense summary of the rest - similar to what is used in businesses. You can have any volunteer that you trust keep track of your receipts and organise them properly for bookkeeping purposes. I can help you on this, but I can also suggest someone else that you already know and trust well who lives closer to you.

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
Donating money is different from lending money. I've been "ripped off" by donating money to dodgy outfits and shady individuals in the past and got myself all bent out of shape raging about it. In the end, I came to the conclusion that, in the act of donation, I am releasing the money and "letting go" of any interest I have in its eventual use. I'm not saying I throw money away, far from it. I look carefully at who is asking for the money and why. But, based on the information available at the time, once I make my decision to donate - my relationship with the money ends. My relationship with person or the cause doesn't end and any subsequent appeals for money will be weighed up at that time with, presumably, additional information as to how my donation was used. I will ,make a fresh decision whether or not I want to let any additional money go at that time.

I gave money to one relatively well-known Kiwi-born Ex. Now, he may or may not have blown it all on sex, drugs and rock'n'roll, but I don't care. I donated it to him. The karmic consequences of what he did with it rests with him, not me. Our relationship (although entirely virtual) has changed, but not my relationship to the money I donated. The same thing applies with what few pennies I can gather for Emma. They are her's to spend as she pleases because the money no longer belongs to me and I have no say in how it is spent. It is a gift.

Whoa!!!!!!!

What ya tryin' to do here? Scare the hell out of everyone?

No, that was not my intent.

While there's some validity in what you having been saying, I disagree with the emphasis - Things aren't that bleak, and the risk is not what you're presenting it to be, IMO.

You're probably right. I do tend to be a pessimist.

Given that you're communicating to people who are generally former exes, many of whom are not computer savy, this sort of advice isn't very friendly. For some here, you'd be making it all seem too risky and too difficult to get around.......Is that what you want?

No. As far as being computer savvy goes, tor isn't that hard to setup/use -- but you're right, it's probably overkill anyway. Thanks for the feedback.

Guy Fawkes

My thoughts too, Paul........I'm a little more shy than you though, my dear, so didn't wanna say it out loud. :coolwink:

For the record, I'm not affiliated with either Co$ nor Anonymous. I just happened to stumble across this site yesterday. It was not my intention to unduly alarm anyone, and if I have done so, I apologize.

Guy Fawkes

Roan

Patron with Honors
:eyeroll: All this talk about the legal fund money is unnecessary and even a bit stupid.

How much there is, transparency, will OSA take notice of it, will attorneys take notice and try to gouge Emma, etc., etc. It's all unproductive blather. Stop talking about it.

We all (OSA included) know it's there and for one focused reason: for Emma to be able to pay for a lawyer to get these charges dropped or defeated. Legal victory on this initial threat is all that matters.