What's new

What does "workable" mean?

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Over the years I have had this phrase pushed out there many times;

"Hubbard said Scientology wasn't perfect. He said that it was workable"

What does "workable" mean in this context?

What level of results determines "workable"? AFAIK Dianetics has NEVER produced the clear that was laid out in Book 1, and this after 57 years? So what would make Dianetics "workable"?

AFAIK there have been no "OT"s - well no verified ones that actually demonstrated the abilities that were laid out in the PDC et al. Where is the workability?

I have seen a couple of postings that say (to paraphrase) "some parts work, some parts don't" - how much, percentage wise, of it has to "work" to say whether the whole is "workable?

The failure rate of Scientology as evidenced by the amount of people who leave it is around 90%. Is something that achieves some sort of result in 10% of the cases workable?

Div6

Crusader

What level of results determines "workable"? AFAIK Dianetics has NEVER produced the clear that was laid out in Book 1, and this after 57 years? So what would make Dianetics "workable"?

AFAIK there have been no "OT"s - well no verified ones that actually demonstrated the abilities that were laid out in the PDC et al. Where is the workability?

I have seen a couple of postings that say (to paraphrase) "some parts work, some parts don't" - how much, percentage wise, of it has to "work" to say whether the whole is "workable?

The failure rate of Scientology as evidenced by the amount of people who leave it is around 90%. Is something that achieves some sort of result in 10% of the cases workable?

Well DUH!

It means it is a workable system for extracting $ from gullible true believers....

And you were a REG!

:eyeroll:

Tanstaafl

Crusader
I have no idea how to answer that Mick.

However, I am certain that in New York, Scn is not workable - it's woikable. :D

Or not. :)

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
I have no idea how to answer that Mick.

However, I am certain that in New York, Scn is not workable - it's woikable. :D

Or not. :)

Please note; an obsessive/compulsive 'ritual' for making coffee that involves dozens of steps, chants and gyrations may *also* be 'workable', but, it's easier to just make the coffee.

Scientology: An obsessive/compulsive ritual for getting up in the morning (and everything else). Somebody *else's* O/C ritual.

Zinj

Tanstaafl

Crusader
Please note; an obsessive/compulsive 'ritual' for making coffee that involves dozens of steps, chants and gyrations may *also* be 'workable', but, it's easier to just make the coffee.

Scientology: An obsessive/compulsive ritual for getting up in the morning (and everything else). Somebody *else's* O/C ritual.

Zinj

Bleedin' obvious! :)

I disagree with your 2nd para. However, I have met many Scns who kept tripping up because there wasn't a Hubbard reference on how to tie their shoelaces. :melodramatic:

pomfritz

Patron with Honors
Hubbard used the term workable just to cover his ass and also to make it more palatable to a wider range of people who might find it objectionable if he had proclaimed it a perfect system. Certainly doesn't mean it is workable in part or full but it also lays the groundwork for the argument of if it didn't work it wasn't applied right.

The above is a workable explanation.

Vinaire

Sponsor

I think that the term "workable" was used by Hubbard during his research in that he rejected what didn't give any results and pursued what did give results.

I would simply apply the same definition to the application of Scientology and Dianetics processes.

Vinaire

Sponsor

I think one should isolate the factors that caused good results in those 10% of cases.

By follwing "exceptions" are discoveries in science made.

Zinjifar

I think even 10% 'success' in retention is overstated if you're talking about the first couple of months, and even more ridiculous if counting over a 40-year 'run'. But, I suspect that it's much higher for those who actually stay a year, and, if we defined 'success' as 'stays at least 5 years'.

But, accepting the 10% rate for the sake of argument, it *could* be considered 'workable' if your only criterium was 'stays in'. 'Cold Calling', for example, usually has a far lower rate, as does most advertising. However, if we judge Scientology by what it *claims* to accomplish; it's a total washout all the way.

Zinj

Zinjifar

I think one should isolate the factors that caused good results in those 10% of cases.

By follwing "exceptions" are discoveries in science made.

What's 'good results'? Staying with Scientology? An iffy proposition :) After all, even you left, (although you toook much of it with you)

Zinj

Vinaire

Sponsor
What's 'good results'? Staying with Scientology? An iffy proposition :) After all, even you left, (although you toook much of it with you)

Zinj

What would good result mean to anybody who approaches Scientology for the first time? It won't be staying with Scientology.

Use some brain.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Hubbard probably thought the tech was workable.

He did engage in lots of ass covering, but OTOH, it still appears that he thought his stuff was workable...

Div6

Crusader
"The end object of Scientology is not the making into nothing of all of existence or the freeing of the individual of any and all traps everywhere.
The goal of Scientology is the making of the individual capable of living a better life in his own estimation and with his fellows, and the playing of a better game."

At least, that was the PR line. As far as making "Clears" and "OT's" are concerned, ymmv considerably.