What's new

Xenophon may sue Malaysian newspaper

randomx

Patron with Honors
Xenophon may sue Malaysian newspaper
May 3, 2012

INDEPENDENT senator Nick Xenophon has been subjected to an extraordinary attack by a state-controlled Malaysian newspaper - publishing a 2009 speech in which he was critical of Scientology, but replacing references to that religion with the word ''Islam''.

The deception has left Senator Xenophon stunned following a visit to Malaysia at the weekend to observe protests aimed at the ruling party. He told the Herald last night the word switch was an example of the kind of dirty tricks the ruling party employs and had used against the opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim.

The article appeared in the New Straits Times and appears to be an attempt to discredit Senator Xenophon and Dr Anwar after the two met in recent days.

Headlined ''Anti-Islam Australian lawmaker comes under fire'', the article quotes from a 2009 speech the South Australian senator delivered in Parliament.

The article claims he said: ''Islam is not a religious organisation. It is a criminal organisation that hides behind its so-called religious beliefs.''

Hansard - the official record of the Australian Parliament - records his speech as: ''Scientology is not a religious organisation. It is a criminal organisation that hides behind its so-called religious beliefs.''

The press in Malaysia is often considered a mouthpiece of the ruling party that has controlled the country since independence. Senator Xenophon said he was seeking urgent legal advice to take the paper to court and wanted an immediate retraction.

Dr Anwar was sacked as deputy prime minister in the late 1990s and served a prison sentence for sodomy, only to be charged with the same offence again after his release in what appeared an effort to derail his political ambitions.

A Malaysian member of Parliament, Zahrain Mohamed Hashim, is quoted in the report saying Senator Xenophon was very outspoken against Islam and on lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues.

''Should we let someone like Xenophon influence our culture and moral values through politics? By confiding in Xenophon, is Anwar also supporting the LGBT movement?'' he said.

He said Dr Anwar should be challenged ''on why he sought Xenophon as a confidant, as clearly Xenophon stands against Islamic values''.

The New Straits Times refused to comment last night.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/opi...n-newspaper-20120503-1xzrw.html#ixzz1tkErS9s9

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/xenophon-to-sue-malaysian-newspaper/story-e6frea6u-1226345263717

http://www.theage.com.au/national/xenophon-verballed-in-malaysia-20120502-1xzpd.html

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/mo...aper-defamed-him/story-fn7x8me2-1226345250897

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/xenop.../story-e6frea6u-1226345263717?from=public_rss

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...aysian-newspaper/story-e6freuzr-1226345252775

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...-muslim-slur-row/story-fn59niix-1226345261109

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
What’s the betting a deluded cultist fed the New Straits Times this story in a pathetic attempt to have the Senator smeared?

Obviously any right minded person would see that this would only backfire horribly, causing even more bad PR for the cult, but if they were ‘right-minded’ they wouldn’t still be in the cult, would they?

Thinking about it, only a cultist would be stupid enough to do this. :duh:

Axiom142

What’s the betting a deluded cultist fed the New Straits Times this story in a pathetic attempt to have the Senator smeared?

Obviously any right minded person would see that this would only backfire horribly, causing even more bad PR for the cult, but if they were ‘right-minded’ they wouldn’t still be in the cult, would they?

Thinking about it, only a cultist would be stupid enough to do this. :duh:

Axiom142

That seems doubtful to me, Ax. The Malay leadership are sufficiently corrupt to do this wholly on their own. For them it's a mere nothing compared to other smear efforts they have launched against Anwar.

With Xenophon meeting Anwar, then misrepresenting Xenophon as anti-islamic suits their goal of representing Anwar as unsuitable for leadership in the Malay state. The Co$ doesn't matter in the least.

Contrary to the views of some on the board, scientology is not the preeminent concern of all on the planet. Not even Xenophon. Neither is scientology the root of all evil.

Mark A. Baker

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
That seems doubtful to me, Ax. The Malay leadership are sufficiently corrupt to do this wholly on their own. For them it's a mere nothing compared to other smear efforts they have launched against Anwar.

With Xenophon meeting Anwar, then misrepresenting Xenophon as anti-islamic suits their goal of representing Anwar as unsuitable for leadership in the Malay state. The Co$ doesn't matter in the least.

Contrary to the views of some on the board, scientology is not the preeminent concern of all on the planet. Not even Xenophon. Neither is scientology the root of all evil.

Mark A. Baker

Maybe Mark, I don’t have any evidence of course.

But consider this. Why would the Malay government get a newspaper to print such an egregious lie that would be absolutely certain to be disproved in a couple of minutes flat? All that does is show them to be liars in front of the whole world with absolutely no excuse for getting it wrong.

You would have to be monumentally stupid to do that.

Perhaps they are, but here’s another question. What group do we know that is not only monumentally stupid, but vindictive enough to try and smear someone or possibly get them physically attacked, by planting a false story?

Perhaps a group that would fabricate bomb threats and then frame someone else for it? Or perhaps a group that thinks that they could infiltrate the FBI, department of justice and other government departments and steal documents and not get caught? How about harassing people in the street and not realise that they would get filmed and the whole world get to see the results?

Scientology might not be the root of all evil, but the CoS have shown themselves to be very vindictive and willing to do (almost) anything to ‘even the score’.

It is certainly not beyond the beyond the bounds of probability that a butt-hurt cultist sees a news story about Senator X going to Malaysia and decides to feed a story that suits the bigoted views of the regime, to a gullible press who can’t be bothered to check their facts.

Perhaps we will never know, but it will be interesting to see if the paper prints a retraction or gives a reason for why they made this error. I notice that the original story on their website has already attracted a number of comments pointing out their mistake.

http://www.nst.com.my/nation/general/observer-under-scrutiny-1.79786

Axiom142

Maybe Mark, I don’t have any evidence of course. ...

I'm no expert on Malaysian politics either, but I do know that the ruling party turned against Anwar some years back (he was at one time a 'rising star') and have stopped at nothing to discredit, disable, and disadvantage him politically in the country.

... But consider this. Why would the Malay government get a newspaper to print such an egregious lie that would be absolutely certain to be disproved in a couple of minutes flat? ...

Because they have successfully done it before. This is not the first time they have targeted Anwar. Controlling the media is not difficult for them either. Neither is control of the judiciary.

BTW, you don't actually think it matters much whether a newspaper is reporting fact? People routinely choose to believe all sorts of idiocies contrary to fact, often based on no more evidence than some angry idiot said so on the radio, or similar.

Facts appeal to fact based individuals. That really isn't a substantial portion of the population. Most people decide things based on their 'gut'. That is not a reasoning organ.

You're a Brit. Look at Murdoch.

... All that does is show them to be liars in front of the whole world with absolutely no excuse for getting it wrong. ...

Why would that matter? What matters to them is control of Malaysia. That is working for them.

It's not exactly a 'democratic country' as you know the term. Like Singapore has maintained for decades, it has the trappings of a form of democracy while nonetheless successfully maintaining a very corrupt single party rule.

Mark A. Baker

apocalyptic

Patron with Honors
I

It's not exactly a 'democratic country' as you know the term. Like Singapore has maintained for decades, it has the trappings of a form of democracy while nonetheless successfully maintaining a very corrupt single party rule.

Mark A. Baker

Sounds like the USA. Where 'corporation' is the single party rule/r.

Apoc

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
No, it's the love of scientology that is the root of ... oh, never mind.:dieslaughing:

Jack
Hm, I was going to say that it is rooted in evil, given the founder was a demented, rotten, greedy, lying, abusive, con-artist with little or no remorse for the lives he's thrashed.

Thanks Lron you cowardly sack of guano.... oh wait, guano's useful... nm....

:eyeroll:

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Gah I am hating this timing out of the edit function (grrrrrrr but oh well).

Anyhow, in regards to the OP topic, its pretty shitty for the Malay paper to stoop so low and I don't blame the good senator for wanting a retraction at the very least. The sad aspect of this, other than smearing a fine and dedicated individual, is that the damage is done in a country where a paper is much more accessable than a computer, making it difficult for the average bloke over there to fact check. One thing I can think of is to try and reach some independant rags and float the truth of the matter to them, also I think that those of us here who are able to do so, is find and contribute to comments sections over there as well.
Its a pipe dream but I hope the author(s) gets bitch slapped out of a job for creating what could well be construed as potentially provoking an international incident, yeh yeh, gov't run media :no:

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Just spent the last couple of hours trying to find the initial article cited in the OP to no avail, lots of 404 'resource not found' messages, kinda funny eh, just sort of mystipeared.
After reading a tonne of headlines and several unrelated articles I have come to the conclusion that that gov't is totally fucked up and smells badly of deep corruption and dirty tricks.
Also that the New Straits Times is bought and paid for by the powers that be, glad I don't live there and don't think I even want to visit there either even though I know that most of the people are just people, what a mess.
Not going to hunt any more as my eyes have crossed, iya.

Edit~ Yup, story seems to have vanished on further searching :shrug: anyone else find it?

To Nick X., kick 'em in the balls matey! (my opinion)

Last edited:
It is a way that Scientology could harass him and make life difficult for him.

Not really. They would likely be opening themselves to a truly devastating libel suit from him in a country where the libel laws are much much stronger than in the u.s.. That sort of thing would be disastrous for them. They're not that overt.

Mark A. Baker

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
It is a way that Scientology could harass him and make life difficult for him.
Nah, he isn't the actual target, Anwar is, but I think we may find out eventually who created the story and what they cite as their sources, should be interesting.
:drama: Wait and see how the Aus handle it, they are in negotiations for free-trade agreement with Malasia, and the Malays are also trying to fertilize the tourist industry.....

Jump

Operating teatime
Just spent the last couple of hours trying to find the initial article cited in the OP to no avail, lots of 404 'resource not found' messages, kinda funny eh, just sort of mystipeared.
After reading a tonne of headlines and several unrelated articles I have come to the conclusion that that gov't is totally fucked up and smells badly of deep corruption and dirty tricks.
Also that the New Straits Times is bought and paid for by the powers that be, glad I don't live there and don't think I even want to visit there either even though I know that most of the people are just people, what a mess.
Not going to hunt any more as my eyes have crossed, iya.

Edit~ Yup, story seems to have vanished on further searching :shrug: anyone else find it?

To Nick X., kick 'em in the balls matey! (my opinion)

404 for me too on the New Straits Times but I found these...

Google cache of original article:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ation/general/observer-under-scrutiny-1.79786

Copy of News article:
http://www.petermartin.com.au/2012/05/heres-copy-of-outrageous-job-done-on.html

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
Not really. They would likely be opening themselves to a truly devastating libel suit from him in a country where the libel laws are much much stronger than in the u.s.. That sort of thing would be disastrous for them. They're not that overt.

Mark A. Baker

Mark,

Are you saying that Ax 142 is wasting his time speculating a preposterous notion that the Church of Scientology is applying FAIR GAME principles to Xenophon?

Rd00

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Thanks for the links guys! :cheers: Anon delivers! :dance:
My google-fu increased by 9000 with the cache thingies :clap:

That went well with my morning :coffee:, now lets wait and see what kind of retraction/apology NST publishes and whether it gets buried amongst all the other crap or whether it goes page 1 or 2...
Regardless, I hope Nick X gets satisfaction, Datuk Hashim (the politician quoted for the slander) finds himself pushing a broom, and the writer of the initial article, ROY SEE WEI ZHI and company, spends the rest of his career writing fluffy animal stories.

:drama:

Oh, comments are open on this paper's blog :) > http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/20...es-for-statements-against-australian-senator/

Last edited:

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Retraqction and Apology by NST~

Update!

http://www.nst.com.my/latest/retraction-and-apology-1.80346

....We hereby confirm that we have made a grave error in publishing the statements in the article. We accept that in his speech in the Australian Parliament referred to in the article, Mr Xenophon did not use the word “Islam” and neither did he assert that Islam is not a religious organisation but a criminal organisation hiding behind its religious belief.

For the above reason, we hereby retract all the statements contained in the article against Mr Xenophon and unreservedly and unconditionally apologise to him for any distress or embarrassment caused by the article.

Read more: Retraction and Apology - Latest - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/latest/retraction-and-apology-1.80346#ixzz1tpXyI6Zw

Comments section exists~

Mark,

Are you saying that Ax 142 is wasting his time speculating a preposterous notion that the Church of Scientology is applying FAIR GAME principles to Xenophon?

Rd00

I'm saying that I doubt very much that anyone from the Co$ had anything to do with the Malaysian smear of Xenophon. :dieslaughing:

Malaysia has its own problems including especially a notoriously corrupt & despotic ruling party with long standing animosity towards one of its former key leaders, Anwar. Xenophon's interaction with Anwar would be a red flag to the existing leadership of Malaysia. Moreover, Xenophon as a politically aware and active individual of the Southwest Pacific Region would certainly be aware of that.

Xenophon as an elected representative in the nation of Australia has concern for a wide variety of important interests on behalf of the people of Australia, interests far beyond those efforts he has expended on scientology. Frankly, the scientology interests Xenophon has pursued are likely to be among the least significant political concerns he has on his plate. The Co$ just isn't terribly important in comparison to other political issues. It just isn't. :no:

What is all too often overlooked is that not only is the Co$ NOT the only group of dirty tricksters on the international stage, they aren't even an important or significant factor as far as dirty tricksters go. They are pikers. :eyeroll:

The personal experiences of members of this board tend to overweight the importance of the church and scientology generally on world affairs. That may be understandable given the traumatic personal nature of many of those experiences, but I doubt very much that Xenophon makes that same mistake. Scientology just isn't that important to most of the world. :no:

Mark A. Baker