What's new

Affirmations - new Wikipedia article

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Wikipedia is getting smarter and smarter every day! :biggrin:

Thank-You Chris for this article and also the one on The Hole! They're awesome! :yes:

Veda

Sponsor
l-ron-hubbard_3.jpg

"...You are a master. You are as sensitive and sexy as Pan. Lord help women when you begin to fondle them. You are a master of their bodies, master of their souls as you may consciously wish. You have no karma to pay for these acts. You cannot now accumulate karma for you are a master adept. Your voice is low and compelling to them. Singing to them, for you sing like a master, destroys their will to resist... "

L. Ron Hubbard

l-ron-hubbard_3.jpg

"...You are a master. You are as sensitive and sexy as Pan. Lord help women when you begin to fondle them. You are a master of their bodies, master of their souls as you may consciously wish. You have no karma to pay for these acts. You cannot now accumulate karma for you are a master adept. Your voice is low and compelling to them. Singing to them, for you sing like a master, destroys their will to resist... "

L. Ron Hubbard

Ron was one handsome devil, how the ladies resisted that sexy ascot is beyond me.

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
l-ron-hubbard_3.jpg

L. Ron Hubbard

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Ahem.

Sorry for this puerile response.

JB

:carryon:

Caroline

Patron Meritorious
Watch out ladies!

[video=youtube;wZd7MzF1RlA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZd7MzF1RlA[/video]

Mimsey

Yes, please do.

Hubbard said:
You can sing beautifully. Your voice can imitate any singer. Your tones are round and true. You have no superstitions about singing at any time. Your oratory is magnificent. Your voice tones perfect, your choice of words marvelous, your logic unassailable.

The Admissions

Veda

Sponsor
There seems to be a continuous theme through Hubbard's private and public teaching, having to do with not being subject to what ordinary "homo saps" would call "conscience."

"...You are a master... You have no karma to pay for these acts. You cannot now accumulate karma for you are a master adept... " Hubbard, 1946, the 'Affirmations'.

_________

"What is conscience anyway? It is simply a negating against your own, not somebody else's, causes. If there is such a thing as conscience, it would be that...

"Now you want to know anytime in your life when you have felt guilty... you go back earlier and find the postulate that you were guilty of disobeying..." [And erase the postulate.] From a December 1951 lecture.

"Goodness and badness... have no other basis than opinion." Hubbard. Axiom 31, of Hubbard's Scientology Axioms, approx 1953

61S4AFJbqEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

tumblr_m0dyw1mysr1rqh7zdo1_500.jpg

reign117.jpg

Superman-+Jimmy+Olsen.jpg

And there are many more examples, even including:

"A 'feeling of guilt' is no where near as sharp as ground glass in the soup."

from Hubbard's 'Way to Happiness' PR booklet written in the wake of the exposure of his extensive Fair Game tech.

Notice that Hubbard placed feeling of guilt in quotes.

Peter Soderqvist

Patron with Honors
I've written a new Wikipedia article on Hubbard's notorious "Affirmations" - something which I've been itching to cover for years. It's at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirmations_(L._Ron_Hubbard). Enjoy!

Soderqvist1: Good Wikipedia Article, I have a article too, and this is a quote from it!

Affirmations Chapter Course II by L. Ron Hubbard 1947
The most thrilling thing in your life is your love and consciousness of your guardian. She materializes for you. You have no doubts of her. She is real. She is always with you. You love her very much. You trust her. You see and hear her. She has copper red hair, long braids, a lovely Venusian face, a white gown belted with jade squares. She wears gold slippers. Thus you see her.
http://www.holysmoke.org/ga/ga07.htm

A Piece of Blue Sky chapter his Magical Career
In the same letter, parsons spoke of Hubbard's guardian angel again: "Ron appears to have some sort of highly developed astral vision. He described his angel as a beautiful winged woman with red hair, whom he calls the Empress, and who has guided him through his life and saved him many times .... Recently, he says, because of some danger, she has called the Archangel Michael to guard us.
http://www.clambake.org/archive/books/apobs/bs2-6.htm

Scientology_8-8008_1998.JPG

http://www.scnforum.org/index.php?t...e94e517d0187d64&srch=guardian+angel#msg_17886

Soderqvist1: I suppose that the Engel to the left is his guardian, and the angel to the right is Archangel Michael!

Soderqvist1: Good Wikipedia Article, I have a article too, and this is a quote from it!

Affirmations Chapter Course II by L. Ron Hubbard 1947
The most thrilling thing in your life is your love and consciousness of your guardian. She materializes for you. You have no doubts of her. She is real. She is always with you. You love her very much. You trust her. You see and hear her. She has copper red hair, long braids, a lovely Venusian face, a white gown belted with jade squares. She wears gold slippers. Thus you see her.
http://www.holysmoke.org/ga/ga07.htm

A Piece of Blue Sky chapter his Magical Career
In the same letter, parsons spoke of Hubbard's guardian angel again: "Ron appears to have some sort of highly developed astral vision. He described his angel as a beautiful winged woman with red hair, whom he calls the Empress, and who has guided him through his life and saved him many times .... Recently, he says, because of some danger, she has called the Archangel Michael to guard us.
http://www.clambake.org/archive/books/apobs/bs2-6.htm

Scientology_8-8008_1998.JPG

http://www.scnforum.org/index.php?t...e94e517d0187d64&srch=guardian+angel#msg_17886

Soderqvist1: I suppose that the Engel to the left is his guardian, and the angel to the right is Archangel Michael!

Thank you very much!

Veda

Sponsor
This depiction appears to be of Hubbard, with the sword, and of his Guardian Angel - shown but never explained.

41Q50kGfJ9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Aleister Crowley wrote of "the knowledge and conversation with one's Holy Guardian Angel" as an essential objective of Magic(k)al study and exercise.

No where on Scientology's Grade Chart are Scientologists given any idea that Scientologists could have a Guardian Angel, or that "the knowledge and conversation with one's Holy Guardian Angel," should be a priority action in their spiritual development.

Just as Hubbard cut off Scientologists from the astral body, an intermediary step between body consciousness and complete out of body consciousness, with experience with the astral body serving as the "training wheels," that would - so the idea goes - later provide stability as one moves beyond dependence on the astral body, so he cut them off from their Guardian Angel.

Hubbard had his own private set of beliefs. He was the "king." The version for his followers was different.

Caroline

Patron Meritorious
Thanks, ChrisO.

I'll add some references to Hubbard's Affirmations, from the Armstrong 1 trial, summations.

THE COURT: Judge Paul G. Breckenridge.
MR. LITT: Barrett S. Litt. Attorney representing Mary Sue Hubbard.
MR. FLYNN: Michael Flynn. Attorney representing Gerry Armstrong.
MR. HARRIS: Robert N. Harris. Attorney representing Church of Scientology of California.

REPORTERS' DAILY TRANSCRIPT Friday said:

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA; FRIDAY, JUNE 8, 1984; 9:05 A.M.

oOo​

THE COURT: Very well, in the case on trial let the record reflect that counsel are all present. Who is going to open here, Mr. Litt?

MR. LITT: I will, Your Honor.

THE COURT: Very well.

MR. LITT: May it please the court, this case began and still essentially remains a simple and straight-forward case. We are seeking damages and injunctive relief for Mr. Armstrong's breach of his fiduciary duty, conversion of documents, both originals and copies, invasion of Mrs. Hubbard's privacy and breach of confidence.

[...]

Now, I want to discuss Mrs. Dincalci's testimony for a moment. The court will recall I asked her on cross-examination whether any of the documents had been shown to her and she said yes. And I asked her what, and it was clear from her description that it included the affirmations and "Excalibur" and probably the document that is labeled here "Blood Rituals."

And I asked her, "Well, was this before any of these events with the photographs?" And she said, "Yes." That was her testimony originally.

Of course, she came back in after the break and after having her memory refreshed by Mr. Armstrong and Mr. Flynn, and thought that it was now after the photo incident. I think, as between the two versions, there is not much question about which is the credible version, and so the record establishes that by April he is beginning to show these documents to people and it is building in him to use these documents.

[...]

The Bonaventure Meeting. The Bonaventure meeting, the dates were obscured in Mr. Armstrong's testimony for good reason because he didn't know about the second Declare when the Bonaventure meeting happened. What happened at the Bonaventure meeting? It occurs May 26th and May 27. He brings Mr. Flynn four or five binders and leaves them with him.

Mr. Flynn has the documents at the meeting. Kima Douglas has testified that Mr. Flynn said to people at the meeting, "Here are documents. Read them. These are documents from the archives. These are private documents."

These are documents that were not, I assume, that this was not shown to the Douglases and the Dincalcis for Mr. Armstrong's defense. They were shown to the Douglases and the Dincalcis because the purpose of giving the documents to Mr. Flynn was to use them, to use them to attack with.

So that now at this meeting, at the latest, and probably earlier, an arrangement is made between Mr. Flynn and Mr. Armstrong that he will send him these materials. By the way, what materials are they at the Bonaventure Hotel. The affirmations, private correspondence with his first wife, Naval records, and according to Kima Douglas, she believes the letter of Mary Sue Hubbard. An agreement is made in which these materials will be sent to Mr. Flynn.

Now, immediately after this meeting, the day after, according to Mr. Armstrong's September 16, 1982 declaration; conveniently Mr. Armstrong's remarkable memory for dates stated, when he was on the witness stand, but it seems to have existed still back in September 1982, and those dates show that right after the Bonaventure meeting on the 29th of August Mr. Armstrong went to Utah. He went to Utah and he made an arrangement with Mr. Garrison that he will send documents to Mr. Flynn for his supposed defense. That is the story that he gave to Mr. Garrison as a way to get Mr. Garrison to agree.

And on -- I'm sorry. I said 'August." I mean "May."

And on May 31st after he returns from Utah, after he has made these arrangements, he has a telephone call from Marilyn Brewer -- this is according to his September 16, 1982 declaration -- he has a telephone call from Marilyn Brewer in which she tells him of the second declare. And then and only then does he learn of it.

In the next period of time he sends thousands of documents to Mr. Flynn.

He gets a demand letter from Mr. Peterson, which is in the record. That occurs also, according to his September 16, 1982 declaration, on May 31st. And what does he do? He lies. He says, "I don't have any documents." While he is sending them to Michael Flynn.

Now, the Court heard Mr. Flynn walk up with each one of these documents. And he presented it to Mr. Armstrong and he said, "Did you send those to me for your defense?"

And Mr. Armstrong, in a litany, said, "Yes," that that is what he did.

"Request to admit:

"Between June, 1982 and August, 1982 inclusive Gerald Armstrong knowingly allowed Michael J. Flynn to utilize some of the original materials and copies of original materials which he had sent to Michael J. Flynn during the same time period in litigation other than the instant suit.​

"Admitted."​

That tells the real story. These documents were sent to Michael Flynn, not for some suit, because the only suit that has ever occurred or would have occurred was for taking them and sending them to Mr. Flynn.

No. They are sent to Michael Flynn for him to use, to use against the Church, to use against L. Ron Hubbard, to use against Mary Sue Hubbard as part of an attack that has millions of dollars at stack [stake]. And Mr. Armstrong fits right into it because his hostility is so deep that anything that attacks Scientology, he is for at this point. That was the motivation for sending these documents. That is what this whole case is really about.

They were sent to Michael Flynn so that they could be exposed and used. In fact, Kima Douglas even testified that at the Bonaventure meeting there was discussion about having a public meeting to talk about these documents. And what is it that he has sent?

He has sent whole binders; he sent everything he had between Mary Sue Hubbard and L. Ron Hubbard. The only reason that there aren't a lot of Mrs. Hubbard's letters is because he didn't happen to have those because if the Court will recall, they had a second set of letters. And Mr. Garrison didn't think that those were that important.

He sent their private marital agreement written over 30 years ago between Mr. and Mrs. Hubbard; he sent whole binders of letters between Mr. Hubbard and his first wife; the whole binder of letters between Mr. Hubbard and

his second wife; letters to attorneys; binders of letters between Mr. Hubbard and his parents including letters to Mary Sue Hubbard from Mr. Hubbard's parents; all of the internal Church documents that he could find; financial matters, private matters, eulogies; he sent all of the private papers that he could of Mr. Hubbard. He sent the affirmations; he sent every private diary and journal that he could get his hands on. He sent business correspondence, wills, letters from children, receipts, notes, the list is endless. These, for what, to what end? To attack Scientology; to bring these documents out because nothing else mattered to Mr. Armstrong at that point.

http://www.gerryarmstrong.org/50k/legal/a1/2517.php

MR. FLYNN: Then all he [Gerry Armstrong] did -- Your Honor has seen the exhibits where he said he knows the organization's campaign of harassment. He wants to leave and he leaves. All he wants to do is sell some photographs.

He even tells Nancy Dincalci not to contact me

as the big enemy that is out to destroy this wonderful organization. All he wants to do is sell some photographs.

And the next thing that occurs -- and, coincidentally, the same date that Wilhite says, "Come on over" is April 22nd, 1982, which, as Your Honor knows, is the same date as the declare. Coincidentally, Virgil Wilhite, former member of the B-1 Bureau of the Guardian's Office calls Gerald Armstrong on April 22nd, the same date of the declare which accuses Mr. Armstrong of some 26 items, theft, defamation, rumor mongering, a whole host of things, not one of which was proved; not any iota of evidence was introduced in this courtroom to substantiate one item of that declare.

Here is the man being accused of all these things by an organization that has a history of having such things as Fair Game Doctrine; he has photographs taken; he is a walking time bomb. He is fearful that they are going to come and get him. He is fearful of having such things as was done to Homer Schomer done to him.

And Mr. Litt tries to interpret his going down in a frenzy to the CMO building as showing that he was the aggressor.

Mr. Armstrong was in a state, I submit, Your Honor, that only someone who has emerged from 10 or 12 years in an organization such as Mr. Hubbard's, being subjected to the things on a year-in-and-year-out basis that Mr. Hubbard subjected him to could understand that state of mind.

But that state of mind is reflected by the fact that when he did contact me, contrary to the position of the plaintiff and the intervenor, he sent me every document including baby photos or baby items because he had been accused of theft; even though he was in the rightful possession of the documents, as we are going to discuss in this argument. He sent everything.

Does that show a man who is out soliciting documents to attack the organization?

He takes everything and sends it to his lawyer.

I submit, Your Honor, that the overwhelming evidence of Kima Douglas, Mr. Schomer, Gerald Armstrong, Nancy Dincalci, all of these witnesses have clearly shown the Court that the people who have been used, the people who have been intimidated, the people who have been subjected to such things as lockups, security checks, forced confessionals, having their files culled, knowledge that a Fair Game Doctrine even existed, are the people such as Mr. Armstrong, Miss Douglas, Miss Dincalci, Jocelyn Armstrong; They are not the people in possession of the hundreds of millions of dollars going into Swiss bank accounts. They are not the people who have an army of lawyers and an array of L, Ron Hubbard proponents of the Tech who will go out and do almost anything, as Mary Sue Hubbard went to jail for, to perpetrate the drive for information, power, and money that is clearly reflected in the documentary evidence before the Court.

As Your Honor is aware, Mr. Armstrong joined

this organization because he believed in representations made to him.

Those representations were testified at length and they involve all the claims about L. Ron Hubbard which have been testified to. They also incorporate, and I submit that this is important for the court's consideration, they incorporate within them the drive in every human being to find truth, find reality, fulfill a purpose in life, do good, help others. All those things that nature propels man toward, all of those things in life that are significant, all those motivations were in Gerald Armstrong.

To translate that basic desire in human nature into joining a religious organization in the context of the evidence is inappropriate. If the court did that, every human being who goes to college, to medical school, that subscribes to any uplifting goal, could be deemed to be pursuing a religious pursuit.

Scientology was not sold at that time, as the evidence is clear, as a religion. It was sold as a science. The science of knowing how to know, the science of sciences. That is how it was sold.

Where the fraud becomes incorporated is taking that basic instinct in human nature and tying it into L. Ron Hubbard, L. Ron Hubbard's goals, L. Ron Hubbard's academic qualifications, L. Ron Hubbard's professional qualifications, L. Ron Hubbard's 30 years of research into the human mind, L. Ron Hubbard's twice being pronounced dead, L. Ron Hubbard fighting in five theaters in World War II, which is just ridiculous, L. Ron Hubbard being a war hero, L. Ron Hubbard being flown home on the Secretary

of Navy's plane, L. Ron Hubbard being extensively decorated.

That is where the essential thread that permeates the entire organization takes place and that permeates this case takes place. You take the idealistic motivations of someone like Mr. Armstrong and you tie then into the fraud, the willingness of someone intentionally to deceive an idealistic young person for his own gain, which is clearly reflected in, among other things, L. Ron Hubbard's own handwriting, the affirmations, which the court has seen fit to only allow a portion of into evidence because of the sensitive, incredibly sensitive nature of what is really revealed in those writings about L. Ron Hubbard's mind and where L. Ron Hubbard was coming from.

To tie in Mr. Hubbard's malevolent intent as reflected in those documents and in the parade of lies that are reflected in the exhibits before the court with the idealistic aspiration of someone like Mr. Armstrong is where the fraud lies. It's got to do with joining, quote as recited in one exhibit, "L. Ron Hubbard's personal Org" which he also says in the policy "the founder" referring to his personal office as being his, but in one of those solicitations he says, "The Sea Org is L. Ron Hubbard's personal organization."

You tie in this web of intrigue and lies created about the man, you take the idealistic aspirations of almost any young person, and you give then a raft of shore stories, and the next thing you have got them working on a ship that is being run by a profit making corporation

for L. Ron Hubbard, the OTC, where they are lying to governments for the next five years that they are really not Scientology or Dianetics, which he thought he was joining, a science with L. Ron Hubbard to help mankind.

[...]

Your Honor knows from the affirmations in his own handwriting and from all the medical records what the truth is. The truth of the matter is that he had some conjunctivitis.

I submit, Your Honor, an inference can be drawn that that conjunctivitis relates from his malingering.

The affirmation is that he used his hip as a pose. He used his eyes as an excuse to avoid school. He went to the VA to lie to then to get a pension.

He even says in his affirmations that he'll walk out of the VA examination, as Your Honor will recall, and laugh at them.

He says it is okay for him to tell lies.

He says he can tell lies to people. It is all right for L, Ron Hubbard, he writes in his own handwriting in 1946, writes during the period of the origin of this science. He also says he has a right to be merciless to people in those same writings and that men are his slaves. That is a little from those writings that are in evidence.

He claims he spent a year in a civilian hospital after the war which he paid for himself. That is exhibit 500-XX.

Well, the year after the war, as Your Honor knows, he was running around with Sarah Northrup, getting involved with Allied Enterprises with Jack Parsons and the OTO and making frivolous claims to the Veterans Administration.

He says he was supposedly hopelessly crippled and a burden upon family and friends in exhibit Q. That is when he went off and married Sarah Northrup bigamously August 10, 1946.

He said he rose above the cause of all human aberrations and problems. That is throughout Scientology literature as testified by Mr. Armstrong.

Your Honor, if Mr. Hubbard rose above the cause of all human aberrations and problems as reflected by the lies he told currently, such as in the Dive Bomber, then truth does equal lies.

[...]

I submit to the Court it is clear what should be done with these documents.

The originals should be returned to L. Ron Hubbard if L. Ron Hubbard wants them. And if he wants them, he should come in and ask for them.

Copies of all of the documents should be preserved as accurate copies of the originals for purposes of the completion of this litigation and for those documents, in my personal view, which I submit to the Court, is that all the documents, given the nature of the conduct Mary Sue Hubbard has engaged in, even the affirmations which are obviously of a sensitive nature, all of those copies of those documents should be released to the public.

Parents of children out there who are getting involved in this organization, some 1,000 of which I have dealt with in the last five years, people who have been ripped off financially, people who want to know the truth about L. Ron Hubbard, they are the ones who should see and bear the fruits of what Mr. Armstrong has tried to do, not only inside the organization, but through nine weeks of this trial and two years of litigation defending himself against this organization.

If Mr. Hubbard wants his originals, he should come in and ask for them. The copies should be maintained in court, those that the Court deems appropriate, copies of which the Court deems appropriate should be put in the public arena.

And to assess damages against Mr. Armstrong in

light of what he has been through to tell the truth, to reveal the truth, to come into this court and litigate what is in these documents, would be a severe injustice.

Thank you, Your Honor.

MR. HARRIS: Mr. Armstrong shows to his friends and sends to Michael Flynn the affirmations which is a rudimentary item like a PC folder. The very private things that one discloses in session, Mr. Armstrong wants to expose to the world and so does Mr. Flynn.

Judge Breckenridge issued his decision twelve days later.

Gib

Crusader
There seems to be a continuous theme through Hubbard's private and public teaching

Not to derail your line of thought. But something I noticed while listening to hubbards lectures. There is always the applause at the beginning, and it always sounds like there are a lot of people there listening to hubbard in the 1950's.

Missing info is we do not know how many people where there in the 1950's listening to his lecture at that moment in time he gave a particular lecture. Could have been none, one, 10 people, 500 people. Very Clever to not state at each lecture like "there are 200 people here" listening to me.

And very clever for hub to record his lectures back them. PR comes to mind. What also comes to mind then is he did indeed know what he was doing as Caroline states in another tread.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Good entry ChrisO!
Always liked your writing, am awed by the amount of patient research and thought that goes into it, and am pleased that you have added some more to an already impressive body of work. Do carry on!

Kudos & :cheers: & :cake:

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
This depiction appears to be of Hubbard, with the sword, and of his Guardian Angel - shown but never explained.

41Q50kGfJ9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Aleister Crowley wrote of "the knowledge and conversation with one's Holy Guardian Angel" as an essential objective of Magic(k)al study and exercise.

No where on Scientology's Grade Chart are Scientologists given any idea that Scientologists could have a Guardian Angel, or that "the knowledge and conversation with one's Holy Guardian Angel," should be a priority action in their spiritual development.

Just as Hubbard cut off Scientologists from the astral body, an intermediary step between body consciousness and complete out of body consciousness, with experience with the astral body serving as the "training wheels," that would - so the idea goes - later provide stability as one moves beyond dependence on the astral body, so he cut them off from their Guardian Angel.

Hubbard had his own private set of beliefs. He was the "king." The version for his followers was different.

I have long suspected that the cover images on some books (way back then) were intended to supposedly "key-in" people (WOGs).
Then they would be more likely to get involved in Scientology just because of this.

It's silly "whole track" stuff.