What's new

Escape from Flagcatraz

NotNuts

Patron
Well, hello everyone!

I've been lurking on this and many other boards for a few months now.

With a lot of support from my ex-SO friends, and the work that Anonymous and so many others are now doing, I feel confident enough to start to tell my story.

It's a story that begins with 10 years at the Int Base and ends with 5 years at the FSO.

It's not pretty, but I am hoping to help both myself and others by doing this.

I've seen a lot of my friends posting on these boards -- I've reconnected with many of them -- and I'm so grateful that this board is in existence, because it's how I've come so far so fast.

I can tell you that what you read on these boards from those of us who worked alongside the Tiny Terror is just a fraction of the abuses he perpetrated on everyone who came near him -- particularly the most creative and capable ones. Hmmmm.... didn't someone once mention something about the type of person who leeches on to creative types in order to suck the life out of them?

But I digress.

I titled this thread, "Escape from Flagcatraz" because I wanted to start with my reasons for leaving the FSO.

There are a lot of postings on these threads about life at Int over the past few years, but not so many about life at Flag, and believe me, there is a lot to tell.

Life at Flag for a Sea Org member was not bad for the first couple of years I was there. In comparison to life at the Int Base, it was a full-time vacation: Actual liberties -- for many (those who managed to manipulate their stats very well) once every two weeks. Going out to the movies as a group, and with your friends on the weekend -- and not just to see Battlefield Earth or MI3 three times. Decent meals -- not gourmet, but not rice and beans. Parties on the holidays, Sea Org Day, 4th of July, etc.

When I got to Flag, the only thing I knew about Lisa McPherson was that this was the reason DM spent so much time in Clearwater in the early 2000s.

It was only when I got out and started reading that I realized what had actually gone on. My god.

So, arriving at Flag, I thought I had come out of a nightmare into a dream, as I had been on the Int Base for 10 years and had experienced the pain -- both physical and emotional -- that went along with it.

But then four words changed my dream back into the nightmare:

GOLDEN AGE OF KNOWLEDGE.

The release of the Congresses -- was it in 2005? It's all a blur to me now -- started the downward plunge of that base. And then, with the basic books, all hell broke loose.

Every day, I saw the FLB becoming more and more like the Int Base I knew and loathed.

The late nights became routine, nobody leaving until their "sales quota" was met.

The verbal abuse by executives was at an all-time high. As for physical abuse -- that's happening there, too. I've seen a high executive literally throw the Exec Esto to the ground because she told him to go to study. Was he reprimanded for this? Guess.

Security was just insane -- you can't walk anywhere on that base right now without a Security Guard watching you.

And as far as security at berthing is concerned, that's locked up tight. The only way you can escape from that base is to stay on post all night and sneak out in the middle of the night with your rented car, pretending that you're "securing" and then just drive, drive, drive.

That's how I did it.

I knew they would be coming after me within hours -- as soon as they got in and realized I wasn't there.

So I knew I had to get as far away as possible, and also not to use any form of payment anywhere that they could trace.

After a few weeks of trying, they gave up -- probably because they were all too busy handling "internal security" problems.

Anyway, I'm starting my life over now -- picking up where I left off 20 years ago -- and every day gets better.

I have so much to tell -- but all in due time. Here's a taste:

Question: What is the easiest way to be INSTANTLY offloaded from the FLB, without having to go through a month of lockdown and sec checks?

Question: Why, if there are over 1,600 staff and outer org trainees on that base right now, do you hardly see them on the streets any more?

Question: What happens to you when you physically attack your much older and female senior, and more than once? Hint: it's not punishment.

Oh, yes, there is a lot to tell. Not just about the FLB, but also my experiences at Int for 10 years, during the time LBV, BFG and BTstoFree were all there, plus many others.

I'll tell more soon.

I'm just so glad to have someplace safe to tell it. Thanks everyone.

XGO

Patron
Wow! Good stuff! :thumbsup:
I have been lurking here for about a month, and will post some of my experiences eventually.
When did you leave "Flagcatraz?"
Please.... keep it coming!

Div6

Crusader
This board just keeps getting better and better.

I will say that you have some stiff competition....I am still in recovery from Twin A's novelette...it really should be printed in Harpers or something.

But please, do enlighten us SP's out here in the field as to what we are missing by not being "on lines".

And welcome to ESMB.

These are interesting times...

Terril park

Sponsor
This board just keeps getting better and better.

I will say that you have some stiff competition....I am still in recovery from Twin A's novelette...it really should be printed in Harpers or something.

QUOTE]

Thats a good idea! Twin A your story was unputdownable. I believe
a magazine may wish to publish.

And welcome nNotnuts. :)

Hello, we probably know each other then! I just started posting a few day ago as well. Have fun, see you in the ether... (depending on where you are located)...

Martini

Patron Meritorious
Hello, and welcome. Look forward to reading your story as it rolls out in detail.

I was a trainee at Flag a while back, let me take a stab at those questions:

1. Fake a suicide attempt
2. They have to take buses and vans and can't use sidewalks (when I was there they would implement this when protestors were there, like the Lisa M. movement back then.)
3. She gets promoted.

NotNuts

Patron
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

And Martini -- nicely done! Faking suicide attempts is the #1 way to get offloaded in a hurry, with no sec checks, no nothing. It's literally 24 hours and you're gone.

It began in earnest around 2003, when a young man I worked with did this -- they of course put you on the meter to check to see if you're faking, but please, does anyone honestly think that would make any difference?

Anyway, he was the first one to go, so rapidly -- and that led to about five more just in my division within the next few months, as well as a couple of long-term high-level OT VII staff members (hmmm...). I guess they saw that this worked for him, so hey, what a great idea! Who wants to go through all those hours of sec checking, etc.

On the buses -- yep. It's worse now. For about a month, staff were allowed to walk between buildings, and that was quickly rescinded because obviously getting out and walking between buildings would make them happier and raise their morale -- heaven forbid.

On the promotion -- you almost got it right, except the person doing the hitting was a 20 year old MALE and the person being attacked was a 40 year old FEMALE. And no, nothing was done to him. And after all that, he decided to leave instead of being transferred to a more "cushy" post. I guess even he realized how crazy it all was.

And since you were there, I'm sure you remember the mandatory "Manners Drills" that we had to do, particularly when the Int Event caravan was coming to town. Talk about ridiculous -- spending an hour drilling how to walk by someone and smile, hold a door for someone, or just say a friendly hello!!!!!!! Shows you what condition these staff were in to have to have this type of common courtesy drilled into them!

And believe me, it wasn't to "make nice" with the citizens of Clearwater, which is what we were all told -- it was just to make sure that nobody ran into DM or didn't greet him with the proper bowing and scraping when he arrived. Because believe me, when that happened, heads would roll! One guy was instantly taken off post and put on the decks because he didn't stand up when DM entered the room. Another was offloaded because he didn't notice DM's car coming into a parking lot and so didn't move fast enough.

Yes, it's all coming back to me now -- interesting how I've been suppressing a lot of those memories so that I could just get my feet back on the ground and get on with my life!!

duddins

Patron Meritorious
Welcome Not Nuts and you are definitely not nuts! I remember that my time at Flag back in the early eighties was also pleasant compared to LA.

Latam for me was the 'it' place to be, far from Int mgmt back in 85! Then INT came to us when we got their attention winning the Bday game that year. That marked the end of the Sea Org for me after 10 years in.

I can relate to your story.

We need to hear more! So, as you feel the urge this is a safe place to spill the beans.

You will find some very interesting former Ex's here (Staff, non-staff and SOs as well) and perhaps some that you know!

Welcome! :welcome2:

Colleen K. Peltomaa

Silver Meritorious Patron
Welcome, NotNuts. I am learning more about the Church of Scientology now on the outside than I ever did on the inside. These are knowledge reports that do not get filed in the Church of Scientology.

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
Welcome, NotNuts. I look forward to your story as it unfolds for you.

I had a friend in the SO at Flag in about 2003 - 2004, she got slapped by a security guard and nothing was done to the security guard. She also figured out a way to get out without hours and hours of sec checking.

NotNuts

Patron
Funny -- I got accosted by a security guard as well -- not slapped or hit, but shoved while he screamed obscenities at me. I wrote it up, I told anyone who would listen, and nothing. No discipline. Why did I get this treatment? Because I wanted to actually get some work done and not have to stop for the 15th time that day and tell the security guard what I was working on!!!!!!

I know that I'm not the only one this happened to. Yes, it trickled down quite a bit from the Int Base to Flag, and now that's the norm rather than the exception. Very sad.

I just hope others read this and realize that Flag, whose PR tag line is "The Friendliest Place on Earth", is anything BUT friendly if you just peek beneath the shiny, polished surface.

Little Bear Victor

Silver Meritorious Patron
Hi NotNuts,

Welcome to ESMB!

The insanity is spreading to Flag too? So much for me thinking it is probably better in the lower echelons! Well, it won't take long until the public will sense it, and based on what I've heard they already do and Flag income has been in a serious dive in the last couple of years. Way to go, Dave!

I know I shouldn't encourage inhumane actions, but it seems that DM is the best living example that Scientology doesn't work. Or perhaps that is an unfair statement, for he isn't really even doing Scientology, rather his own peculiar selection out of the subject to match his personality, mixed with other ideas he gets from other sources to further "improve" it.

Looking forward to more of your story!

V

Martini

Patron Meritorious
Yes I remember the "manners" drills - FO 38. We would also drill answering questions about our course progress, when we would be done, etc. And of course, tons of cleaning (white glove) to make everything perfect everywhere for COB's visit.

What I resented the most about that bastard is how long we were kept on Pro TRs and Metering - over a year for each course. We were "piloting" those courses, regardless if we were doing fine auditing or not. It then would take weeks to get videos passed, and they were held up at RTC level. If you can imagine being stuck on TR drilling asking "Do birds fly?" for 12 hours a day, for over a year, waiting for a video submission to come back from him for weeks only to find a harsh critique come back saying "Robotic TRs" or "Low Toned" with an order to M9 the entire pack and re-do all the TRs, etc. I'm not exaggerating. People were broken on that course, and many didn't make it. On Metering we had to M9 every book, every bulletin on the meter, 5 TIMES, before drilling on the meter. Where is that written in an LRH reference to M9 something 5 times? Yet we had to, and then the final video was a complete nightmare on that course, too. Only when the emphasis shifted to "make completions!" would people start passing videos. Otherwise it was a total stop. This also occurred on the internships - same phenomena. He is a tyrant midget that will get what is coming to him very soon.

Good twin

Floater
Public know it too!

Welcome NotNuts. I can't wait to hear more.
I can tell you the public perception of Flag isn't as good as you might think. It used to be pretty good and if the person has never been to Flag and knows it through events and PR viewed off base they may think Flag is wonderful.
However... I used to select a lot of Public to Flag. I trusted Flag to give the best service and the most bang for your buck. In the last five years or so every single selectee I sent to Flag had to be "handled" on the bad experience they had. None of my selectees felt they were delivered what was promised and each of them said it was intimidating and very "unfriendly".
So the facade is not as deceptive as you may have thought. I have even had very new Scientologists come back after their first Flag experience and say they never want to go there again.
Even if they don't know what is wrong they can feel the wrong! :yes:
Good Twin

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
Funny -- I got accosted by a security guard as well -- not slapped or hit, but shoved while he screamed obscenities at me. I wrote it up, I told anyone who would listen, and nothing. No discipline. Why did I get this treatment? Because I wanted to actually get some work done and not have to stop for the 15th time that day and tell the security guard what I was working on!!!!!!

I know that I'm not the only one this happened to. Yes, it trickled down quite a bit from the Int Base to Flag, and now that's the norm rather than the exception. Very sad.

I just hope others read this and realize that Flag, whose PR tag line is "The Friendliest Place on Earth", is anything BUT friendly if you just peek beneath the shiny, polished surface.

I can't remember what my friend got slapped for - either taking a walk around the parking structure (Problems of Work) or something. She had witnesses and nothing was done. No one even said anything.

Not the friendliest place on earth, in my opinion. Maybe I should be thankful they booted be off the FLB back in 1997.