What's new

Taiwan Ideal Org to open on 12/7 with Miscavige(?)

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
Stupid question--but, REALLY curious.

It always puzzled me how someone could assess a list in Mandarin. One thing you drill over and over is how to raise the tone (like music) of the thing at the end, which I would assume would have to just be ignored. The biggie for me was that you also drilled the hell out of 'impinging' with the last syllable in order to get a read. Questions in Mandarin are pretty much made with adding the soft "ma" at the end of the phrase. So, technically, it seems like it would be impossible to assess a list in Mandarin. Anyone with any info on how they handle this? I'd be much obliged. Yes, I'm not a tekkie anymore, but that question came to me back when I first got in and was studying Mandarin, and it still hangs out in some cobwebbed corner of my brain.

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
Stupid question--but, REALLY curious.

It always puzzled me how someone could assess a list in Mandarin. One thing you drill over and over is how to raise the tone (like music) of the thing at the end, which I would assume would have to just be ignored. The biggie for me was that you also drilled the hell out of 'impinging' with the last syllable in order to get a read. Questions in Mandarin are pretty much made with adding the soft "ma" at the end of the phrase. So, technically, it seems like it would be impossible to assess a list in Mandarin. Anyone with any info on how they handle this? I'd be much obliged. Yes, I'm not a tekkie anymore, but that question came to me back when I first got in and was studying Mandarin, and it still hangs out in some cobwebbed corner of my brain.

There are other ways to ask a question in Mandarin, and I'll bet they do some thing like use the phrase shemme? (As in "ni tsai tswo shemme?" , please excuse the Wade-Giles, I don't use pinyin).

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
There are other ways to ask a question in Mandarin, and I'll bet they do some thing like use the phrase shemme? (As in "ni tsai tswo shemme?" , please excuse the Wade-Giles, I don't use pinyin).

Yeah, at one point, I was looking at that angle, but couldn't figure the hell out how you'd still make it work as an assessment--could you translate the shemme? I started learning after pinyin became the thing, and so I don't have a clue on that. Simple rudiments, like "Do you have an ARC break?" -- my Mandarin is now so rusty as to be dead, that I have no idea what you could do with that and use the correct "tek" to ask-- let alone all the myriad of questions on lists and the grades.

--

suspiciousperson

Patron with Honors
I don't see why there would be a problem for them in HK with the authorities, I lived there for a while and if anything I'd expect more so-called "harassment" in taiwan. Unless it's changed massively in the last few years.

And the KMT were absolute bastards. I don't know much about Taiwan but I know no culture fully recovers from that kind of thing until everyone old enough to remember it is in a retirement home.

AnonKat

Crusader
I don't see why there would be a problem for them in HK with the authorities, I lived there for a while and if anything I'd expect more so-called "harassment" in taiwan. Unless it's changed massively in the last few years.

And the KMT were absolute bastards. I don't know much about Taiwan but I know no culture fully recovers from that kind of thing until everyone old enough to remember it is in a retirement home.

Oh Holy Crap

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron

There is still a bit a bad blood between the Taiwanese speakers and the Mainlanders who came over in 1949. When my wife left in 1979, she was fined 50 cents if she spoke Taiwanese in school. But it affects that culture less than things like that affect other places I've been. The KMT always had limits in their behavior because of the US missionary ties. The fact that Chiang Chin Kuo gave up power voluntarily in 1987 and there was a native Taiwanese president within 10 years of that is a testament to the milder nature of the KMT vs the Communists.

There is a big 2/28 memorial in Taipei, so all is not forgotten, but in general the Greens and blues are less antagonistic to each other than the Tea Party is to the Democrats.

And Falun Gong members are harassed and jailed in HK, I can't see the CCP accepting any inroads by the Co$. Falun Gong practice openly in Taiwan. The Taiwanese have too many native cults to get really picky about new ones, hence the Co$ choosing to operate there

Last edited:

suspiciousperson

Patron with Honors

srsly now the SECOND PERSON has wtfd the earlier post when it was plain as night and day, and certainly no problem at all for udarnik who it was directed towards to parse. The only explanation I can come up with is either that people don't realise HK is an SAR and hasn't been part of mainland china since the opium wars, or they don't know who the KMT were (in which case, did you study what was going on in the pacific theatre during WW2!?!?!?! Might surprise you to know yanks were less than half the landing force on d-day as well... stop getting history off hollywood please... there were three main signatories to potsdam and the third wasn't joe...)

I mean, I know I post a lot of incoherent bollocks and/or esoteric stuff, but tbh there is no reason to not get understand that post other than ignorance.

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yeah, at one point, I was looking at that angle, but couldn't figure the hell out how you'd still make it work as an assessment--could you translate the shemme? I started learning after pinyin became the thing, and so I don't have a clue on that. Simple rudiments, like "Do you have an ARC break?" -- my Mandarin is now so rusty as to be dead, that I have no idea what you could do with that and use the correct "tek" to ask-- let alone all the myriad of questions on lists and the grades.

--

I only know a little Mandarin Clamicide but 'Shen me' at the end of a phrase/sentence is essentially "is what" where the what can be any "existence" like what, who, anything....so that could convert to 'is whAT?', 'is it anything' , 'is who'? and connected it can be used at the beginning to say "is what" or 'who is' or 'what is' and to my understanding sometimes could be translated as 'which is'

I have heard the stand alone 'shenme' a lot also...which would be short form for ...'what did you say' or "what is/was it?

I do wonder if it would be used by chinese speakers to steer on a meter....instead of THAT (WHAT IS THAT?) perhaps just use THAT. ...or "shenme' :unsure:

Last edited:

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
I only know a little Mandarin Clamicide but 'Shen me' at the end of a phrase/sentence is essentially "is what" where the what can be any "existence" like what, who, anything....so that could convert to 'is who', 'is it anything' , 'is who'? and connected it can be used at the beginning to say "is what" or 'who is' or 'what is' and to my understanding sometimes could be translated as 'which is'

I have heard the stand alone 'shenme' a lot also...which would be short form for ...'what did you say' or "what is/was it?

I do wonder if it would be used by chinese speakers to steer on a meter....instead of THAT (WHAT IS THAT?) perhaps just use THAT. ...or "shenme' :unsure:

I suspect that's it. Don't think I want to go far enough into the Idle Morgue in Kaohsiung to find out, though... All you people are going to get is pictures from the outside and a report on the foot traffic. :melodramatic:

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
I only know a little Mandarin Clamicide but 'Shen me' at the end of a phrase/sentence is essentially "is what" where the what can be any "existence" like what, who, anything....so that could convert to 'is who', 'is it anything' , 'is who'? and connected it can be used at the beginning to say "is what" or 'who is' or 'what is' and to my understanding sometimes could be translated as 'which is'

Ah, yes... I saw it as shemme... shen me is also the same in pinyin. I have no doubt that could be used to steer meter reads such as a dirty needle or a repeat read. But, first you need to ask the question or do the command to obtain the original read. It still makes no sense in assessment. Most commands could not translate in that way, and also, the "me" syllable is also a soft sound.

The tek is very clear on impinging on the last syllable of the question or command. He ranted on in earlier stuff about the Chinese, so it probably never even entered his skull that it might not translate. Ugh, if someone knows somebody in Taiwan, I really would be a bit curious.

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
Ah, yes... I saw it as shemme... shen me is also the same in pinyin. I have no doubt that could be used to steer meter reads such as a dirty needle or a repeat read. But, first you need to ask the question or do the command to obtain the original read. It still makes no sense in assessment. Most commands could not translate in that way, and also, the "me" syllable is also a soft sound.

The tek is very clear on impinging on the last syllable of the question or command. He ranted on in earlier stuff about the Chinese, so it probably never even entered his skull that it might not translate. Ugh, if someone knows somebody in Taiwan, I really would be a bit curious.

Yeah, fooking with the tone in Chinese is apt to change the meaning. When my daughter was very small, about 3, I wanted her to take her drinking glass to the kitchen like her mother had asked her. So I said "glass" - "bei dze" in a stern intonation for English, which makes the tone fall when you are upset.

Unfortunately, the "bei" in "glass" is one of the high tones. Changing the "bei" to a falling tone changes the meaning of the word "bei dze".

About 3 minutes after I yelled at her, I see her struggling to bring this huge Chinese comforter down the hall. She had both hands raised over her head lifting a corner of it, and the damn thing probably weighs about half as much as she did at the time. Her mother asks "what in the world are you doing?".

She responds "but Baba told me to bring the "bei (falling tone) dze" to the kitchen". "Bei dze" with a falling tone is "blanket".

It's been almost 9 years and I still haven't lived that one down.

What are some of the actual listing phrases that might be used?

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron

THIS IS HORRIBLE! When did it happen?!

AC, that link on the news aggregator site is dead, but with her actual Chinese name from the Youtube Channel, I was able to track the original article down here.

TWG, the date on the article is February 19, 2013, the incident took place the day before.

Here is an article about her matchmaking service. Very SO-like. She disapproves of pre-marital relations, and if the marriage is set up like a businesss with the same goals, it will be successful. That article, BTW, is in the Epoch Times, which was founded by four members of another batshit crazy UFO cult, Falun Dafa (Falun Gong).

[Edit: Here is her blog. And here is the interesting thing: that blog is written in Mainland simplified characters, hosted on a Mainland site. Most Taiwanese, be they Taiwanese Greens or Nationalists from other provinces, do not use that script. She has deep ties in the Mainland, and seems to operate there as much as in Taiwan. I can't tell for sure, but she may be specializing in finding matches for Mainlanders with Taiwanese and ABCs. THAT is a sordid business. :melodramatic:].

Last edited:

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
Helen Chen's Facebook Page.

And her organization's Facebook Page.

Interestingly enough, she uses the Traditional Characters for her name on the Taiwan facing pages, with no links to the .cn sites where she uses the Simplified Characters. Most ROC people I know who do business in China use the Traditional form of their names even on the Mainland, it's a Confucian thing about honoring their parent's choice of name.

Oooh, doesn't this look like a Co$ picture?

379514_503516906337740_1617464563_n.jpg

And here we go! Clears and OTs!

Goddamn, the tech is a fucking virus. Kill it!

Last edited:

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
If someone REALLY wants scientology, then people like Helen are a blessing, IMO. They deliver what they promise without all the identity-molding (apart from the obvious identity-molding inherent in scientology itself, of course). I'd recommend Helen over the CofS any day of the week! :)

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
If someone REALLY wants scientology, then people like Helen are a blessing, IMO. They deliver what they promise without all the identity-molding (apart from the obvious identity-molding inherent in scientology itself, of course). I'd recommend Helen over the CofS any day of the week! :)

Two things wrong with that, Panda. One, her matchmaking sites hide the Co$ tech connection, which smells like a bait and switch.

Two, the conditions under which that baby died sound like an SO nursery from the old days before the forced abortions.

This broad (and especially adding her husband's money) is super rich. She can do better than unlicensed daycare staff.

Oh, and a third thing wrong - that picture I posted and others like it look like a cult of personality in the making. Makes my skin crawl.

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Two things wrong with that, Panda. One, her matchmaking sites hide the Co$ tech connection, which smells like a bait and switch.

Two, the conditions under which that baby died sound like an SO nursery from the old days before the forced abortions.

This broad (and especially adding her husband's money) is super rich. She can do better than unlicensed daycare staff.

Oh, and a third thing wrong - that picture I posted and others like it look like a cult of personality in the making. Makes my skin crawl.
Forgive me for not bothering to follow up on the linked "reports". I still haven't done so but, IMO, any practice which incorporates the scientology paradigm is gonna look cult-like, sooner or later.