What's new

Janis Nader from Cambridge Mission & Boston Org

JJBoston

Patron
Anyone remember me? I posted an intro without a name or picture a while back. I can't get my picture to show up in this post, but if you go to my profile you can see it.

I'm trying to find out what happened to some of the people from the Cambridge Mission from back in the late 70's-early 80's. I've read the Boston thread and some are mentioned.

Specifically, I'm interested in news about:

Fred Nader (my ex)
Pam and Tom Ford
Gail Mello
Bob Ford

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
Janis, I see you started a thread last year. http://www.forum.exscn.net/archive/index.php/t-28292.html?

Your maiden name is Riley? https://www.facebook.com/janis.riley

Is your ex from New Hampshire? Related to John & Karin Cummings Nader? Frederick W. Nader III's last known address is Cambridge, MA. Fred inherited his business from his father?

http://www.eagletribune.com/obituaries/x234182860/Frederick-W-Nader-Jr

Modern Amusement, LLC
Business ID: 528856
Entity Creation Date: 12/21/2004
Principal Office Address: 35 Nashua Road, Windham NH 03087
Last Annual Report Filed Date: 2/8/2013
Registered Owner: Nader, Frederick W., III, 35 Nashua Road, Windham NH 03087, (603) 434-4889

https://www.facebook.com/john.nader.790

https://www.facebook.com/karin.nader
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to John Brousseau, Tom is at Int. Base:

Tom Ford R Comps -- "Originally from Boston. He was holding the LRH Comm FSO post when he wasn't even in the Sea Org. I received an order to interview him to get him to join in early 1983. I don't know how he eventually made it up to the Int base, but he worked in the Snr C/S Int office. His wife Pam was a technical person in RTC."

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/08/scientology_concentration_camp_the_hole.php

According to Marc Headley, Stefanie Diane Ford was offloaded to PAC. I show her now working at the HGB on Hollywood Blvd.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Robert Bruce Ford & Gail Mello Ford live in New Hampshire..

http://www.whitepages.com/name/Robert-B-Ford/Deerfield-NH/2cxf0s9

Gail is suing the Social Security Administration (probably learned the hard way that the cult does not pay Social Security taxes for it's staff)

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/massachusetts/madce/1:2013cv10198/149205

(Michael Astrue is the Commissioner of Social Security)

Anyone remember me? I posted an intro without a name or picture a while back. I can't get my picture to show up in this post, but if you go to my profile you can see it.

I'm trying to find out what happened to some of the people from the Cambridge Mission from back in the late 70's-early 80's. I've read the Boston thread and some are mentioned.

Specifically, I'm interested in news about:

Fred Nader (my ex)
Pam and Tom Ford
Gail Mello
Bob Ford

bobby is living up in new hampshire with his second wife, a former course supervisor. he runs a mail order business coming up with parts for old british sports cars and seems to be doing quite well. i saw him last year and he's aging gracefully enough, hair nearly white and if his posture is slightly deflated he remains trim...

they're both quite well out of scientology

Operating Wog

Patron with Honors
Tom was ED BSNF and Pam was an auditor when I got on lines in 84. They both joined the SO very shortly after that. Heather Landrey took over as ED in last 84. Still is ED AFAIK. Tom was at Int and Pam was in the RTC, as others have said. Pretty sure they got divorced some time in the 80s/90s.

I only knew Tom for a few months but he scared the shit out of me. Super intense. Pam, on the other hand seemed to be the sweetest person ever.

Ivy

Janis, I see you started a thread last year. http://www.forum.exscn.net/archive/index.php/t-28292.html?

Your maiden name is Riley? https://www.facebook.com/janis.riley

Is your ex from New Hampshire? Related to John & Karin Cummings Nader? Frederick W. Nader III's last known address is Cambridge, MA. Fred inherited his business from his father?

http://www.eagletribune.com/obituaries/x234182860/Frederick-W-Nader-Jr

Modern Amusement, LLC
Business ID: 528856
Entity Creation Date: 12/21/2004
Principal Office Address: 35 Nashua Road, Windham NH 03087
Last Annual Report Filed Date: 2/8/2013
Registered Owner: Nader, Frederick W., III, 35 Nashua Road, Windham NH 03087, (603) 434-4889

https://www.facebook.com/john.nader.790

https://www.facebook.com/karin.nader
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to John Brousseau, Tom is at Int. Base:

Tom Ford R Comps -- "Originally from Boston. He was holding the LRH Comm FSO post when he wasn't even in the Sea Org. I received an order to interview him to get him to join in early 1983. I don't know how he eventually made it up to the Int base, but he worked in the Snr C/S Int office. His wife Pam was a technical person in RTC."

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/08/scientology_concentration_camp_the_hole.php

According to Marc Headley, Stefanie Diane Ford was offloaded to PAC. I show her now working at the HGB on Hollywood Blvd.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Robert Bruce Ford & Gail Mello Ford live in New Hampshire..

http://www.whitepages.com/name/Robert-B-Ford/Deerfield-NH/2cxf0s9

Gail is suing the Social Security Administration (probably learned the hard way that the cult does not pay Social Security taxes for it's staff)

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/massachusetts/madce/1:2013cv10198/149205

(Michael Astrue is the Commissioner of Social Security)

Just a quick clarification (per Bob Ford) - Gail is not suing the Social Security Admin - different Gail Mello. But they are both doing quite well in NH.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Hi Janis :)
146020.gif

I don't know of any of these people but just wanted to welcome you and thank you for coming out in name. :thumbsup:

Best wishes,

Mary McConnell

JJBoston

Patron
I'm surprised at all the responses; I didn't hear much the first day or so, and just haven't logged on since then. First of all, thank you to those who had information on the people I asked about.

To answer a question, Riley is NOT my maiden name; I was married a second time well after my days in Scientology, and am also divorced a second time.

My ex's family was from Methuen, MA and he did have some family in New Hampshire, but the names John & Karen Cummings Nader aren't familiar to me. That obituary is definitely his father; he looks very much the same in that picture as he did when I knew him. And Modern Amusement was their company. Thank you Smurf for finding that; I've been curious what happened to Fred and his family and hadn't been able to find anything.

I have mixed feelings about Tom and Pam Ford. I never knew Tom all that well; to me he was just Pam's husband. But I agree that Pam was one of the sweetest people; I believe that she genuinely wanted to help people, and unfortunately she was very deeply into Scientology. At least that was my take at the time. If Tom was really that intense and scary, then I'm glad he and Pam split up. I'd be happier knowing she was out, though. I did real that article on the Hole when it first came out; I felt my blood run cold when I saw Tom Ford's name on the list.

About Bob Ford and Gail Mello, am I reading that right that they're still together and married? Gail was the course sup at the Cambridge Mission when I was there, so it sounds like the same person. I'm glad to hear they're doing well. I remember them having a motorcycle in the middle of their living room, like a piece of sculpture. It was very cool. :coolwink:

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Thank you for the update, Janis.

It's always good to check back now and again to see if there are rplie because threads sometimes get inadvertently overshadowed by other threads, especially if originally one was written during times when the forum is busy, only to be located by someone and replied to days or even years down the line.There are some long ago started threads which are still being posted to daily... but there are always ones that slip by when a person wasn't online to see it, only to be resurrected later by someone.

Please tell us about some of your times at the mission. We love stories!

Last edited:

JJBoston

Patron
So here's what little there is to my story. It's nothing like a lot of the other stories I've read here; I wasn't in long enough to experience the true horrors that many of you have.

Starting at the beginning, I grew up in a small town in central Massachusetts. In December 1978 I moved to Cambridge, MA. I had some family there, and had always enjoyed visiting the area. Living there seemed like a logical choice for me. I was 22, and had just ended an abusive relationship.

Sometime during my first week there I was walking around taking in the sights, when I was stopped by a young man about my age and asked if I wanted to take a free personality test. I knew instantly that this was Scientology, because I'd seen the storefronts with signs advertising free personality tests. Normally I would have said "no thanks" and kept walking, but something stopped me this time. I think it was a combination of starting a new life in a new city, and wanting to be more open to new experiences; it also was at least partly because the guy who asked was quite attractive.

So I followed him to the Cambridge Mission, which was just around the corner. I took the test, got my results, and the person explaining the results told me about the Communication Course. I don't remember how much it cost back then but I know it wasn't much. I decided to go ahead and take the course; again it was that combination of wanting to be open to new things, and also that would guarantee my seeing the cute guy outside again.

When I left the Mission I ran into him again at his corner; he asked me how the test had gone, and I told him I'd signed up for the course. He seemed happy to hear that. I think I started the class the following week after work. A lot of my time in Scientology kind of blends together, so I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to be getting times mixed up, but the general story will be correct.

I remember running into the body-router guy at the Mission and also outside at his corner; I had to walk right by there on my way home from the subway every day after work. At one point very early on (I was still in that communication course) I asked him if he knew of any good places to go see, as a newcomer to the city. It was totally an effort to get him to ask me out, and it worked. We went out the following weekend.

We very quickly became a couple; he shared an apartment with another staff member from the Mission, and we'd often double-date with him and his girlfriend (she was also a public). I remember feeling very accepted and part of the group, which was a totally new feeling for me. It was partly because I was with him (Fred the body router), but also because I was on course. When I finished that first course, I would have happily walked away from Scientology and never looked back; nothing bad happened, but I also don't remember feeling "This is it! This is what I've been looking for!". It was more the warm fuzzy feeling of being part of a group. So when they suggested the next course (which I can't for the life of me remember the name of) I signed up for it. I remember wondering how long I could keep taking the cheap courses so that I could be around these people who were all so nice and friendly and made me feel so welcome. I also wanted to continue seeing Fred the body router, of course.

At that time Bob Ford was the ED, Gail Mello was the course sup. Let's see --- Pam Ford was on staff there, but I'm not sure her exact post. Randy Humphries was the registrar; his wife was on staff also, but I've forgotten her name. They split up while I was still in. Diana (last name escapes me) was an auditor and c/s. I remember Pam and Diana being my two favorite people to be around; they were both so kind and open and interested in what I had to say. As I said, I'd never before experienced instant acceptance like this, and it was a really nice feeling. It made me want to stay as part of this group.

... to be continued ...

Arthur Dent

Silver Meritorious Patron
So here's what little there is to my story. It's nothing like a lot of the other stories I've read here; I wasn't in long enough to experience the true horrors that many of you have.

Starting at the beginning, I grew up in a small town in central Massachusetts. In December 1978 I moved to Cambridge, MA. I had some family there, and had always enjoyed visiting the area. Living there seemed like a logical choice for me. I was 22, and had just ended an abusive relationship.

Sometime during my first week there I was walking around taking in the sights, when I was stopped by a young man about my age and asked if I wanted to take a free personality test. I knew instantly that this was Scientology, because I'd seen the storefronts with signs advertising free personality tests. Normally I would have said "no thanks" and kept walking, but something stopped me this time. I think it was a combination of starting a new life in a new city, and wanting to be more open to new experiences; it also was at least partly because the guy who asked was quite attractive.

So I followed him to the Cambridge Mission, which was just around the corner. I took the test, got my results, and the person explaining the results told me about the Communication Course. I don't remember how much it cost back then but I know it wasn't much. I decided to go ahead and take the course; again it was that combination of wanting to be open to new things, and also that would guarantee my seeing the cute guy outside again.

When I left the Mission I ran into him again at his corner; he asked me how the test had gone, and I told him I'd signed up for the course. He seemed happy to hear that. I think I started the class the following week after work. A lot of my time in Scientology kind of blends together, so I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to be getting times mixed up, but the general story will be correct.

I remember running into the body-router guy at the Mission and also outside at his corner; I had to walk right by there on my way home from the subway every day after work. At one point very early on (I was still in that communication course) I asked him if he knew of any good places to go see, as a newcomer to the city. It was totally an effort to get him to ask me out, and it worked. We went out the following weekend.

We very quickly became a couple; he shared an apartment with another staff member from the Mission, and we'd often double-date with him and his girlfriend (she was also a public). I remember feeling very accepted and part of the group, which was a totally new feeling for me. It was partly because I was with him (Fred the body router), but also because I was on course. When I finished that first course, I would have happily walked away from Scientology and never looked back; nothing bad happened, but I also don't remember feeling "This is it! This is what I've been looking for!". It was more the warm fuzzy feeling of being part of a group. So when they suggested the next course (which I can't for the life of me remember the name of) I signed up for it. I remember wondering how long I could keep taking the cheap courses so that I could be around these people who were all so nice and friendly and made me feel so welcome. I also wanted to continue seeing Fred the body router, of course.

At that time Bob Ford was the ED, Gail Mello was the course sup. Let's see --- Pam Ford was on staff there, but I'm not sure her exact post. Randy Humphries was the registrar; his wife was on staff also, but I've forgotten her name. They split up while I was still in. Diana (last name escapes me) was an auditor and c/s. I remember Pam and Diana being my two favorite people to be around; they were both so kind and open and interested in what I had to say. As I said, I'd never before experienced instant acceptance like this, and it was a really nice feeling. It made me want to stay as part of this group.

... to be continued ...

Thanks for more of your story, Janis. That friendly group thing reeled me in, too. Don't know the folks you mentioned but glad you're here.

Boojuum

... to be continued ...

I knew Bob and Gail and Pam and vaguely the C/S (was that Diana, good-looking 30-ish woman?). I think Diana did great things with the mission but Cambridge got blown up in the early 80's. Boston grabbed some of the best people--Pam, Maggie, Bean, Randy. Worse than that, Cambridge had some terrific pc's and students from MIT and Harvard.

JJBoston

Patron
Boojum, I think that was the same Diana; sounds like it anyway. I'd forgotten about Bean and Maggie, although I didn't know either of them very well.

To continue my story ...

Within a couple of months of me meeting Fred and joining Scientology, his roommate moved out and got a place with his girlfriend. So I moved in with Fred. It was a horrible place on Norfolk Street; I remember there being other Scientologists in the building (I can't remember their names, but it was a married couple and they had a baby during the time I lived there). It was a strangely configured apartment; the bathroom had a window that opened into the kitchen (what were they thinking when they designed that???) and the only source of heat was the gas stove in the kitchen. The apartment was also totally infested with cockroaches; not my first experience with them, but definitely worse than I'd ever had before. Sorry if this grosses people out, but I'd often be woken up in the night by a roach crawling over my ear ... but I was young, happy, and in love. I did start looking for another apartment though.

I continued on course at the Mission; I can't remember specifically which courses, but I remember listening to some tapes of Ron. He was very charismatic, and I remember thinking of him as a kindly father figure who was sharing this great knowledge that he had with all of us. I think that was when I really started to feel like there was something there that I wanted and needed to be a part of. When I was in high school I'd wanted to become a psychologist; with no money for college I gave up that dream, but becoming a Scientology auditor seemed like a pretty good alternative. It would allow me to help people by listening to them talk about their problems, and so I felt that I was finally going to be able to do what I'd always wanted to do.

Meanwhile, after a few months of living in the Norfolk Street place, I found an apartment on Mass Ave between Central and Harvard Squares. It was far from luxurious, but it was definitely a step up. It was while living there that I decided to join staff at the Cambridge Mission. Looking back, I guess I was just trusting that it would all work out. Fred was already on staff, and so I was aware of how much (or how little) he got paid. There was no way we would be able to pay rent and buy food with both of us on staff, but I felt like it was the right thing to do. I realize in retrospect that there is no logic to that line of thinking. I don't know how I thought it would work; I do remember feeling somewhat as if I was jumping off a cliff into the unknown.

Here's where my memories get a little hazy. I don't remember how long I was actually on staff, but my guess would be 6 months or so. I don't even remember much of what I did on staff. I do remember the morning musters, and waiting for break so that we could all go around the corner to a little shop that sold wonderful muffins and coffee. How we had money for that is a mystery, because I also remember times when we'd be looking under the couch cushions in our apartment for change so that we could go to Uncle Bunny's and get an ice cream. (Uncle Bunny's was the place where I first encountered Haagen Dazs ice cream; they had a few flavors made with honey instead of sugar and I could not get enough of them.)

One thing I do vividly remember about my time on staff was that I'd taught myself calligraphy, and I ended up doing all the certificates for course completions, etc. I really enjoyed that, and would often even bring them home to work on in what little free time I had. We worked from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. every day during the week. I don't remember if we worked weekends though; for some reason I don't think we did.

Our finances continued to plummet; it was a regular occurrence to find late rent notices under our door when we got home. I don't know how we managed to not get evicted, but after 6 months or so I realized I had to leave staff and get a job that actually paid. I remember thinking to myself that after the kind of hours I'd been working at the Mission, and with the constant push for stats (and being careful to not say, do, or even think the wrong thing), that any job I'd find would seem like a piece of cake to me. I didn't realize that joining staff wasn't something I could just decide to quit. Fortunately the ED of the Mission let me go; I was still continuing on course, and Fred was still on staff. I didn't realize it at the time, but I was extremely lucky that he was so compassionate about our situation. Things could have gotten really ugly, but I was blissfully unaware of that possibility back then.

... to be continued ...

Boojuum

JJ

Please continue. I'm familiar with the area. Norfolk St. oy. Central Square. oy.

This same scenario was played out by many, many others who were coerced into hanging around and hanging on somehow for years or decades while their credit ratings plummetted, their teeth fell out, their clothes deterioated, while getting sucked into the vortex of Scientology. All the while hip, hipping to LRH and living on the hope that prosperity and sanity was around the corner and that all the hard work and extra hours would pay off handsomely.

You were extremely fortunate to get out when you did. No wonder Bob and Gail and Diana left (I wish I could recall Diana's last name, MMcKinnon's sister), they were actually sane. The "standard" way to handle anyone wanting to leave staff was to give sec checks and sec checks and O/W write-ups and many, many, many interviews and promises and handlings until they agreed to stay.

What do you mean you can't live on $10 a week? Make it go right (ignore the landlord, ignore the utilities, beg, borrow or steal to get by...all for what?)

Count your blessings, you got out.

JJBoston

Patron
JJ

What do you mean you can't live on $10 a week? Make it go right (ignore the landlord, ignore the utilities, beg, borrow or steal to get by...all for what?)

Count your blessings, you got out.

LOL, your comment about "making it go right" reminds me of an incident not too long before I got out completely. I was taking a course at the Boston Org; someone else from the Org was giving me a ride that day, since I didn't have access to a car. That person (I can't remember who it was, or even if it was male or female) was late picking me up, and so I got to class a little bit late. I had to talk to someone (course sup? ethics? I'm not sure) about why I was late. I explained the situation, expecting that to be the end of it. Clearly it wasn't my fault if someone else was late. Right? Wrong. I was told that I was supposed to "make it go right" and I had to agree that I would never allow myself to be late again. I briefly tried to reason with whoever it was I was talking to; I explained (quite rationally, I thought) that this particular situation was completely out of my control. It seemed obvious to me. Not to them. I was told again to "make it go right" and so on and so on, until I finally realized that trying to reason was futile. I agreed and said whatever was expected, and was allowed to return to my course.

Then there was the time on that same course at the Boston Org when I was being word cleared on something. There was a typo in the text that I was being cleared on. I don't remember exactly what it was, but any reasonable person would have seen that it was a typo and gone on from there. But no ... I was made to define a word that was (to me) obviously used in the wrong context. That was when it finally sunk in that I was not allowed to think for myself. If I felt something in the text was wrong, incorrect, inaccurate, etc., that simply meant that I was confused. That I didn't understand something. Because I couldn't possibly disagree. And there couldn't possibly be a typo. Because L Ron didn't make mistakes. Ever.

Got a bit derailed from my story with those two incidents. For some reason both have stuck in my mind all these years; I think both were also a turning point and marked the beginning of the point when I seriously considered getting out for good. But it was a while longer before that actually happened.

... to be continued ...

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Got a bit derailed from my story with those two incidents. For some reason both have stuck in my mind all these years; I think both were also a turning point and marked the beginning of the point when I seriously considered getting out for good. But it was a while longer before that actually happened.

It was a good derail. :yes:

And really, if those incidents were a turning point for you than it's not really a derail at all. :no::)

myrklix

Patron with Honors
Boojuum,

Not to derail the thread but just had to jump in with a bit of civic pride. I've lived in the neighborhood since the early '80's and posted photos of the day the Cambridge mission was demolished (see the main Boston thread). I have to say that Central Sq. has improved oh-so-gradually over the past 30 years. Ever since then many area residents say they wouldn't want to live anywhere else, myself included. Though still a bit gritty, there's great public transportation, great variety in restaurants, and plenty of diversity and most definitely a "neighborhood" feel as contrasted with Harvard Sq. And on top of that there's not been a Scn. presence since the mission closed. BTW, I'd met a couple who worked at the mission who lived on, I think, Washington St. (perpendicular to Norfolk) because of a violin player I met who lived in the same apartment with them.
JJ
I'm familiar with the area. Norfolk St. oy. Central Square. oy.

Boojuum

Boojuum,

Not to derail the thread but just had to jump in with a bit of civic pride. I've lived in the neighborhood since the early '80's and posted photos of the day the Cambridge mission was demolished (see the main Boston thread). I have to say that Central Sq. has improved oh-so-gradually over the past 30 years. Ever since then many area residents say they wouldn't want to live anywhere else, myself included. Though still a bit gritty, there's great public transportation, great variety in restaurants, and plenty of diversity and most definitely a "neighborhood" feel as contrasted with Harvard Sq. And on top of that there's not been a Scn. presence since the mission closed. BTW, I'd met a couple who worked at the mission who lived on, I think, Washington St. (perpendicular to Norfolk) because of a violin player I met who lived in the same apartment with them.

@Myrklix: You make some good points. Public transportation and restaurant choice from Central Square is pretty good, excellent in fact. I lived around there in 2 or 3 different places in the late 70's, early 80's. Two places were horribly cockroach infested, I was burned out of one place, the 3rd was tolerable but no place to raise a family. Perhaps I'm being harsh since I'm not a city dweller and enjoy the leafy suburbs. I'm delighted the area has improved. My experience as a Scieno staff member living cheaply in the Central Square area wasn't miserable but I spent all my waking hours elsewhere. I had some pre-Scieno friends visit me and they were appalled. I couldn't figure out why since the shower was always warm with plenty of hot water.