What's new

Source for what Hubbard called "TOUCH ASSISTS"

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
Pages 65-66 The Science of Hypnotism L. E. Young 1931, Chapter 4, Methods of Dr Leibault (founder of the Nancy School in France)

""The patient paying his first visit is directed to sit down and watch treatment being applied to other. This gives confidence, arouses that imitative faculty which is so active in childhood, and is never lost throughout adult life. When his turn comes he is told to take his place in an armchair, and to make his mind as blank as possible -- to think of nothing-- nothing at all -- and to fix his eyes and attention on some special object; almost anything will do, from the operators face or hand to a mark on the ceiling or a pattern of the carpet.

"Then the Phenomena, or in other words the hypnotic sleep, which attend the on-coming of natural sleep are gradually 'suggested' to him.

"About two minutes of this "Talk and Sleep" will usually produce the hypnotic effect on a new patient, and on subsequent visits even less time is required. The patient being more or less influenced, Dr. Liebault now proceeds with the treatment proper. This consists essentially in directing the invalids attention to the part affected and suggesting an amelioration or disappearance of the morbid condition and symptoms.

"To take a very simple case - let us suppose the malady is chronic nervous headache. The part of the head affected is generally rubbed, so that the patient's attention shall be attracted to it, and he is told that the pain is to disappear -- that he will awake feeling his head cool, clear and comfortable, and that there is to be no return of trouble. In ordinary cases the whole procedure will not have lasted more than five minutes...."

"Long acquaintance with this system prevents an inhabitant of Nancy from regarding it as anything remarkable, and a sick person consults Dr. Liebault just as he would consult any other physician, with the simple idea that the treatment will do him good. He does not trouble himself with metaphysical theories, but is content to know that some acquaintance has been cured of a complain similar to his own, and that he himself hopes to be relieved in a few few days......."

"The fulfillment of the first suggestion tends to augment the patients confidence, and leads to the more ready reception of those which follow....."

-------------------

Last edited:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Arnie, that has almost nothing in common with a touch assist. If I didn't know better I would think from that that you have had no personal experience of Scientology at all.

Paul

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
Arnie, that has almost nothing in common with a touch assist. If I didn't know better I would think from that that you have had no personal experience of Scientology at all.

Paul

Et tu ?

Well tis true that Hubbard gave us a shore story.... a background explanation, for what occurs...because he could not say what he was really doing to us, because he said HE 'discovered' whatever IT was..., so he wrote us some custom science fiction...so we would go through the motions for his invented reasons rather than with full understanding of what was actually occurring?

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
Well, you may remember my opinions expressed here regarding Virginia Waddy being the originator of Study Tech, and the battery current through the body causing significant effects in metered auditing.

I call it as I see it. But politely, I hope.

Paul

So do I Paul but I have science, history and even a $cientology 'justice' cycle on my side and all you have is a dead bad charlatan and confirmed LIAR named Hubbard's lies and shore stories..

Virginia Waddy

Re above, a $cientology justice hearing found that Randy Payne - who had been paying 10%s to $cientology for his use of "study Tech" no longer had to pay those... of course then they declared Randy an SP and targeted him, breaking in his house he claimed, then I heard he died...

E-meter Electrical effects

There was little science in 1997 when I realized that possibility, but there are now 1,400,000 pages... for electricity + endorphins. And Lermanet was #1 result for years but now the National Institute of Health is #1...but *I* have no problem with that.

The only question that remains is not IF there is any effect but what exactly is the morphine equivalent dose of a 2 hour exposure to the E-meter. It may be small, but there is a morphine equivalent dose for the endorphins generated...even if small. So how much morphine is OK during your sessions? <Rhetorical

"Just how long would I have to run a small electric current through your body, while telling you things that you wanted to hear, before you became convinced that I held the secrets of the universe?" Arnie Lerma

Last edited:

Sindy

Crusader
There are other things like Touch Assists, though, too. They still involve the person's mind and willingness to believe and heal the body through touch but not necessarily with an operator's malice aforethought. Gregg Braden comes to mind. Maybe you would consider him a hypnotist too. :)

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
So do I Paul but I have science, history and even a $cientology 'justice' cycle on my side and all you have is a dead bad charlatan and confirmed LIAR named Hubbard's lies and shore stories..

Huh? I don't consider Hubbard an authority on anything, not even himself as he lied so much it is impossible to tell truth from lies without independent evidence.

I'm not a Scientologist, Arnie. I like and use some bits of Scientology despite Hubbard, not because I value his words. I value some things you post, not because it is you that post them but for their own sakes.

Paul

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
There are other things like Touch Assists, though, too. They still involve the person's mind and willingness to believe and heal the body through touch but not necessarily with an operator's malice aforethought. Gregg Braden comes to mind. Maybe you would consider him a hypnotist too. :)

Well, there have been wars of words between The Nancy School which explained effects as suggestion, sometimes based upon expectation rather than verbal suggestions, all at a certain level of waking trance or classic trance... (note1)

WITH

The Mesmer School of "magnetics", explained healing effects as affecting an ethereal fluid that might flow from the fingertips... that healed.
Benjamin Franklin, himself, sat on a board in France that ultimately drove Mesmer and his adherents out of France....for fraud.

also I am not in a position of knowledge, willingness nor need to address "Qi".

Arnie Lerma

Note: The 'dope-off' noted sometimes in TR-O IS a classic symptom of entering a hypnotic, suggestible state.Which is described in the book "Hypnosis for Salesmen" as "The Eye-to-eye" technique. All of those strange 'effects' noted during TR-O were not 'ANATEN BLOWING OFF" < that was the "shore story" - but evidence of each of us, eventually, and individually succeeding in attaining a 'waking trance state'....a state which is VERY suggestible, to the point where everything you are told is true...Also see "Alice in Wonderland"

Ralp-Slater-Hypnosis-1950.jpg

Engrams, Body Thetans or Mice? Which would you prefer to believe are real -

or none of the above?

DENIAL is the last refuge of addiction...

Last edited:

gbuck

oxymoron
Haven't techniques using suggestibility and trance states been around for far longer than has been investigated by 'science'.
Shamans, witches etc are familiar with the techniques of light trances or deeper levels of unconsciousness, which provide them the opportunity to suggest. I think they used the term 'glamour' or 'glamor' to describe the trancelike state needed for the placing of a spell [ a suggestion]

Science codified explained and experimented with these techniques, which are continually being added to, for that's how knowledge is built up. Ron stepped out of this and made them his own, he discovered nothing except the works of others which he called his research and he then hid the sources and the purposes of these techniques [ to control and direct behaviour and belief] he sugar coated those techniques as being of benefit to man.

Basically simple techniques but difficult to spot if your attention is directed elsewhere. The apparent science involved in a touch assist is clouded with the suggestibility routine set up by ron.
The workability of a touch assist may only be due to the 'glamour' or the 'Phenomena' created, or so it seems to my admittedly uneducated eyes.

I may well have been glamored :p

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Basically simple techniques but difficult to spot if your attention is directed elsewhere. The apparent science involved in a touch assist is clouded with the suggestibility routine set up by ron.
The workability of a touch assist may only be due to the 'glamour' or the 'Phenomena' created, or so it seems to my admittedly uneducated eyes.

The touch assist, like the nerve assist, is basically a meridian balancing technique, although Hubbard didn't call it that and may not even have thought of it in those terms. I don't know about the suggestibility factor: I've given touch assists to non-Scios that had great results and also given many touch assists to Scientologists that didn't do dick.

As far as I can see, meridian balancing has its place and is sometimes very effective, especially on someone whose, er, meridians are very unbalanced. But on someone who's already pretty balanced up it's not going to have much effect, is it?

Paul

gbuck

oxymoron
The touch assist, like the nerve assist, is basically a meridian balancing technique, although Hubbard didn't call it that and may not even have thought of it in those terms. I don't know about the suggestibility factor: I've given touch assists to non-Scios that had great results and also given many touch assists to Scientologists that didn't do dick.

As far as I can see, meridian balancing has its place and is sometimes very effective, especially on someone whose, er, meridians are very unbalanced. But on someone who's already pretty balanced up it's not going to have much effect, is it?

Paul
Paul, I'm not sure if it makes any difference if the person is or isn't a scio, it's down to the relationship established between the two that is important, and it seems fair to suggest that suggestion is involved whether it's intentional or not, in your case I'm sure it's not. It's in the process I think., and of course there will be results no doubt about that. For me the question is always am I somehow being fooled?
This is not to denigrate anybody but to simply look at the process and to understand what is actually occurring.I think the intention of the practitioner is to help, but the tools may not be fully understood.
And not understood according to rons definitions which always explain themselves in terms of themselves. He is one confusing operator in my mind. I don't trust any of his technology at all now.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Paul, I'm not sure if it makes any difference if the person is or isn't a scio, it's down to the relationship established between the two that is important, and it seems fair to suggest that suggestion is involved whether it's intentional or not, in your case I'm sure it's not. It's in the process I think., and of course there will be results no doubt about that.

I've given (and received) lots of touch assists where there was no discernible beneficial result. These were all unpaid, where the factor of "let's do this quickly so it doesn't cost me too much" wouldn't apply. There's sometimes the opposite factor of "let's prolong this a bit because I like being touched by this person."

Check with any other ex who's given/received lots. It's certainly not infallible, even in terms of a low-threshold "helped a bit."

Paul

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
bold emphasis mine:

(snip) He is one confusing operator in my mind. I don't trust any of his technology at all now.

Confusing operator.... now THAT is a link to The Confusion Technique - a covert hypnotic technique(1) that had no links on google, until Lermanet put up two pages on it... now there are 21 million links... but guess whose pages are #1 and #2?

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
extracted parts from

http://www.vice.com/read/asmr-the-good-feeling-no-one-can-explain

Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (ASMR)

"ASMR is a tricky feeling to describe, and I can only talk about it secondhand. From what I understand from conversations with ASMRers, it’s a tingle in your brain, a kind of pleasurable headache that can creep down your spine. It’s a shortcut to a blissed-out meditative state that allows you to watch long videos that for someone who doesn’t have ASMR are mind-meltingly dull. Not everyone gets this feeling, and though some people can get the tingles through sheer force of will, most depend on external “triggers” to set them off. Triggers can include getting a massage or a haircut or a manicure, or hearing someone talk in a soothing tone of voice (Bob Ross, the “let’s put a happy tree right here” painter from PBS, is a common trigger), or even just watching someone pay extremely close attention to a task, like assembling a model. It’s not usually sexual—everyone who talked to me about ASMR mentioned that right off the bat—but like sexual turn-ons, different people have different things that set them off: the sound of lips smacking together, a cashier’s fake nails tapping on the register, your friend drawing on your hand with a marker"

"There’s no record of ASMR existing until a couple years ago, but it’s not as if this feeling suddenly appeared and swept across the globe. Most likely, people have been experiencing brain tingles throughout history—I’m picturing a filthy nomad warlord closing his eyes in pleasure as his concubine picks lice out of his hair, Catholics in the pews tingling over the measured recitation of Mass in Latin—but mostly kept it to themselves and some odd, private pleasure. Then came the internet and no one kept anything to themselves any more. People started discussing what they couldn’t describe as anything other than a “weird feeling” on health forums, and realized they weren’t alone."

"... the feeling had a few different names, among them Attention Induced Head Orgasm, and Attention Induced Euphoria, which Andrew adopted before expanding it to Attention Induced Observant Euphoria. Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response was a phrase coined by Jenn Allen, who founded the site asmr-research.org. “Autonomous” refers to the “individualistic nature of the triggers, and the capacity in many to facilitate or completely create the sensation at will,” Jenn told me in an email. “Sensory” and “response” are fairly obvious, and “meridian,” Jenn said, is a more polite term for “orgasm.” In any case, it certainly sounds official—as Jenn said, “Try explaining why you want money to study ‘goose looping’ or ‘brain orgasms.’”"

Rd00

gbuck

oxymoron
Arnie, what role if any do you think confusion plays within the process of a touch assist?
Confusion is a great, if thats the proper description, part of many other techniques. I have some ideas about this but would appreciate your input. Thanks

shit left the room came back, posted the question and you answered it already!

gbuck

oxymoron
bold emphasis mine:

Confusing operator.... now THAT is a link to The Confusion Technique - a covert hypnotic technique(1) that had no links on google, until Lermanet put up two pages on it... now there are 21 million links... but guess whose pages are #1 and #2?

I've not yet read the link yet but I've seen you mention it before.
I was reading a book by [ don't want to name names the source isn't important] and he was discussing or investigating the state of confusion, the gist of it is that there is the desire to run away from confusion as it is generally regarded as culturally unacceptable to be confused, all cultures as far as I know adopt this attitude. So due to this cultural conditioning when in confusion the person desperately makes a choice to escape from it.
He is still confused and so makes his choice out of his confusion.He makes a confused choice, but has fulfilled the requirements of getting out of the confusion. Ron states that the way out of confusion is to find a stable datum, and lo and behold Ron's got one lined up, ready and waiting, different stable datums for various confusions, and the datums are his data which 'training' has supplied or embedded.
Talk about clutching at straws.
For me there is no easy way out of confusion except to recognise that I am completely confused and that is the end of the confusion. Awareness of confusion is the ending of confusion, not the grabbing of stable data from whichever source.

gbuck

oxymoron
bold emphasis mine:

Touch assists appear to be one the easiest techniques to apply. Good TR's [bad TR"S] a comm cycle [ involving no real communication]and a bit of affinity [real or pretended]and off you go. Where is the confusion?
On the receiving end I was confused with the bit about the flows back and forth that were in point of fact imagined by me [easily imagined] and that to me was the confusing part as it involved belief in the reality of those flows. [which I had imagined as actually occurring] That is where confusion led me to the stable datum of the magic flows actually existing in reality [ imagination] which I had imagined with the aid of Rons suggestions [tech].
On the other side of this situation, the person performing the touch assist is also complicit in the imagining, as he is also busy picturing the flows! Confusing or laughable?

Confusioning should be a real word to describe the act of confusing another. To engage in the act of confusioning for personal gain, is despicable. For example

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
I've not yet read the link yet but I've seen you mention it before.
I was reading a book by [ don't want to name names the source isn't important] and he was discussing or investigating the state of confusion, the gist of it is that there is the desire to run away from confusion as it is generally regarded as culturally unacceptable to be confused, all cultures as far as I know adopt this attitude. So due to this cultural conditioning when in confusion the person desperately makes a choice to escape from it.
He is still confused and so makes his choice out of his confusion.He makes a confused choice, but has fulfilled the requirements of getting out of the confusion. Ron states that the way out of confusion is to find a stable datum, and lo and behold Ron's got one lined up, ready and waiting, different stable datums for various confusions, and the datums are his data which 'training' has supplied or embedded.
Talk about clutching at straws.
For me there is no easy way out of confusion except to recognise that I am completely confused and that is the end of the confusion. Awareness of confusion is the ending of confusion, not the grabbing of stable data from whichever source.

Actually you are doing a very good job grasping a confusing subject... perhaps this will help:

The one liner description of the technique is:

State a series of things in a confusing manner, as the mind becomes desperate for the stream to make sense, you then state the LIE (which becomes by its placement after the confusion a hypnotic suggestion to the subconscious..) in a matter of fact manner that makes sense. The mind seizes upon the first thing that makes sense out of sheer desperation...becoming true for you.

And this technique was used in Dianetics....

Last edited:

gbuck

oxymoron
Ok, perhaps this will help:

The one liner description of the technique is to state a couple of things in a confusing manner, meanwhile the mind becomes desperate for the stream to make sense, you then state the LIE (which becomes by its placement after the confusion a hypnotic suggestion to the subconscious..) in a matter of fact manner that makes sense. The mind seizes upon the first thing that makes sense out of sheer desperation...becoming true for you.

That's his technique I appreciate that , my concern is with my reaction.

That's why it is so important to understand oneself and ones reactions. To not be fooled. To be aware of ones reactions, is not to be fooled. Fuck him. Most politely.

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
That's his technique I appreciate that , my concern is with my reaction.

That's why it is so important to understand oneself and ones reactions. To not be fooled. To be aware of ones reactions, is not to be fooled. Fuck him. Most politely.

WOW, YES! I am so pleased when even ONE person gets this stuff:!

This is a quote paraphrased from George Estabrooks, the father of military (weaponized) hypnosis, who worked for OSS (The Office of Strategic Services which became the CIA/DIA) during and after WWII

"The only way to prevent being manipulated is to become familiar with the techniques being used upon you"

Last edited: